PDA

View Full Version : PJ Carlesimo....

florige
05-22-2007, 11:21 AM
Do you guys think that he will EVER possibly get considered for a head coaching job again? The guy has been with us for a while and I think has learned alot from Pop on how to run a team. I mean hell he wasn't all that bad of a coach before the Sprewell choking fiasco. I think the guy at least deserves another shot. He seems like a nice guy.

ducks
05-22-2007, 11:22 AM
I think he will replace pop when pop quites

GrandeDavid
05-22-2007, 11:24 AM
Surely this guy will be sought, if not simply for the experience he's had with the Spurs and Gregg Popovich.

florige
05-22-2007, 11:25 AM
It's just surprising that he's managed to stick around this long. I would have thought that a team would have snatched him up right after our 05 championship.

Kori Ellis
05-22-2007, 11:25 AM
Surely this guy will be sought, if not simply for the experience he's had with the Spurs and Gregg Popovich.

He gets passed up every summer for open vacancies (that he's interested in), while other inexperienced coaches get hired.

I hope he gets something this summer.

BreezeHillBill
05-22-2007, 11:27 AM
I think he will replace pop when pop quites

Good idea. Continuity of philosophy, continuity with established players. But I hope Pop ain't going anywhere soon.

violentkitten
05-22-2007, 11:31 AM
i think it's a good idea to have someone with head coaching experience as your top assistant, both for having the experience and stature to advise the head coach, as well as having someone to run the team when the head coach decides to check out of a game early by dropping the magic word. i don't think carlesimo will have a chance to coach the spurs as td has at least 4 more seasons left in his career and i don't see pop stepping down anytime soon. at some point carlesimo will get a gig and the spurs will need to replace him. pop would probably go with one of the other assistants to replace pj, though it would be kinda cool to see pop bring in one of his buds for a year or two (lb or nellie).

florige
05-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Man I would be surprised if he manages to still be available when that ever happens. But hey I'm surprised that he's still here now so who knows.

ducks
05-22-2007, 11:32 AM
nellie maybe NOT LB

florige
05-22-2007, 11:34 AM
I can't see either one of those guys taking assistants jobs. Especially LB. Unless he does it for health reasons.

LilMissSPURfect
05-22-2007, 11:39 AM
I don't understand how pj get looked over and IwantMacaroni, assistant coach for the suns, got interviewed already..i don't see how teams overlook his icompetence ? (he failed at his job miserably and not being able to control his players)

ObiwanGinobili
05-22-2007, 11:40 AM
Good idea. Continuity of philosophy, continuity with established players. But I hope Pop ain't going anywhere soon.

Pop has said he'll be retiring about 5 mmins after Timmy does. So as long as tim's playing we still have Pop.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-22-2007, 12:21 PM

I wouldnt want to play against a team he coaches so I prefer for him to stay with the Spurs.

florige
07-02-2007, 10:22 PM
bump, No word on this guy getting a much deserved second chance yet huh?

Spurs rock
07-02-2007, 10:26 PM
Why go coach somewhere else when you can stay in San Antonio and keep winning Championships? :smokin

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-02-2007, 10:29 PM
I don't understand how pj get looked over and IwantMacaroni, assistant coach for the suns, got interviewed already..i don't see how teams overlook his icompetence ? (he failed at his job miserably and not being able to control his players)

By that logic, PJ shouldn't get another chance as one negative moment (however it was brought on) should define his basketball IQ.

Iavaroni was highly regarded as one of the best assistant coaches in the game and as one of the main architects of rebuilding Phoenix on the court - he was going to get a job this season.

jaespur21
07-02-2007, 10:57 PM
i believe pj has learned a lot with his stay in san antonio and hopefully he does also. maybe him or don newman will take over 1 day. unless pop plans on bein the nbas' version of paterno

ploto
07-03-2007, 06:48 AM
Teams have seen what PJ can do as a head NBA coach.

O-Factor
07-03-2007, 11:02 AM
PJ was on the Jim Rome radio show sometime during the playoffs and said that he is spoiled by being in SA and winning. He said he would not leave unless he was sure he could win like he has been winning in S.A.

Solid D
07-03-2007, 11:19 AM
PJ was on the Jim Rome radio show sometime during the playoffs and said that he is spoiled by being in SA and winning. He said he would not leave unless he was sure he could win like he has been winning in S.A.
I heard the show too. He didn't exactly say "unless he was sure he could win like he has been winning in S.A." That would be unrealistic. I think it was more like he wouldn't leave unless it was a good situation he thought he could be successful in.

BTW, I hear that former Argentina NT head coach, Ruben Magnano, is now available and looking for work.

Que Gee
07-03-2007, 11:26 AM
PJ is going to get the Seattle job. It'll be announced this week.

Solid D
07-03-2007, 11:30 AM
PJ is going to get the Seattle job. It'll be announced this week.

Prediction or fact?

urunobili
07-03-2007, 11:34 AM
PJ will retire as the best assistant coach ever... Pop
s replacement will likely be.... Avery Johnson...

Twisted_Dawg
07-03-2007, 11:43 AM
If PJ does not get the Seattle job, I think his chances of ever getting a HC job is slim.
If the GM that used to work with you won't hire you, then who will? If Casey is hired, that is not really a negative on PJ.....bascially a push.

Very sadly, the choking incident has unfairly hurt him and his reputation. I think he is very qualified to be a NBA HC. I think he has learned a tremendous amount from Pop, RC, Tim, Manu, Tony, etc. I think he has mellowed a bit from his younger days. This guy was a major success in college taking a team to the Final 4 and has a lot of NBA experience both as a HC and as an asst. It is a joke to him passed over by guys like Ivaroni.

Twisted_Dawg
07-03-2007, 11:44 AM
PJ will retire as the best assistant coach ever... Pop
s replacement will likely be.... Avery Johnson...

I dread the day Avery Johnson would be our coach.

Que Gee
07-03-2007, 03:08 PM
Prediction or fact?

Fact.

sprrs
07-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Teams have seen what PJ can do as a head NBA coach.

Teams have also seen what Dwayne Casey can do as a head coach. I'd take PJ.

ploto
07-03-2007, 05:29 PM
Fact.
With Que Gee it is always a fact. :)

What's going to happen to Brent?

bigfan
07-03-2007, 09:51 PM
Just read on ESPN it looks like he's got the Sonics job.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2925357

ashbeeigh
07-03-2007, 11:24 PM
My bad if it was already posted...it's a few hours old...

NBA: Sonics will hire Carlesimo

Web Posted: 07/03/2007 08:51 PM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Editor's note: This file has been updated since it was first posted.

The Seattle SuperSonics have decided to hire P.J. Carlesimo as their new head coach, an NBA source said Tuesday evening.

Carlesimo has spent the previous five seasons as an assistant on the staff of Spurs coach Gregg Popovich.

Seattle’s new owner, Clay Bennett -- a former member of the Spurs’ ownership group -- has tried to use the Spurs as a blueprint to remake the Sonics. Last month, Bennett hired Spurs assistant general manager Sam Presti to oversee the Sonics’ front office.

Seattle has scheduled a news conference for noon Thursday at which officials are expected to announce Carlesimo's hiring.

E-mail Johnny Ludden at [email protected].

EDIT:
ha..it was. :bang :rolleyes