PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone yet compared 2004 to 2007?

easjer
05-22-2007, 03:17 PM
As I (continue to, even now) read about the Suns loss to the Spurs and it's injustice, I am reminded more and more of how we as Spurs fans felt after 2004 and how the final truth is the same for both teams.

In 2004, we won 2 games, dropped 2 games and returned for a hard fought battle in Game 5, conventional wisdom spelling out that whoever won game 5 would win the series. At the end, one of the most amazing clutch shots ever by Timmy went in to take us up 2 with .04 seconds remaining. As timeout after timeout drew it out for nearly 20 minutes, the announcers kept talking about how physically impossible it is to get a good shot off in that amount of time. The pure adrenaline of game 5 against a hated rival that we just couldn't really seem to shake or get around, and the amazing shot that put us up had us elated and on our feet. And then came THAT shot. In. Buzzer. Over. The season was over.

Except that we still had to play game 6, because really, the series was only at 3-2.

If the Spurs had wanted it enough and had played hard enough, they'd have won in LA and returned for Game 7 in SA. But that shot defeated them and they couldn't pull it together in Game 6, and LA, smelling blood, did what good teams do - they shut it down.

It seems that in the midst of all the injustice and fury that continues into game 2 of the WCF, people are conveniently forgetting what Spurs fans conveniently forgot - there was still a Game 6 that had to be played and if they were truly the better team, they'd have won Game 6 and made Game 5 irrelevant.

And that's not even talking about the previous 3 games they lost, where Pheonix had a chance in each of them to win.

So I wonder when the injustice that Pheonix suffered will die down. Perhaps, for the fans, it'll remain that unspeakable, inexcusable, unwatchable moment that makes your stomach churn. But surely, the media could let it go soon?

Extra Stout
05-22-2007, 03:25 PM
So, from all this, can we conclude that Detroit is going to kick the Spurs' ass in the Finals?

101A
05-22-2007, 03:33 PM
No (http://www.nbadraft.net/mcchesney001.asp)

And that's why the Spurs (or Cavs - but IMO, 'Bron ain't ready yet) will be having another parade this year.

FromWayDowntown
05-22-2007, 03:35 PM
It's an interesting comparison and one that I hadn't drawn.

MadDog73
05-22-2007, 03:39 PM
In 2004, everyone (including the Spurs, apparently), assumed the series was a Lock when we went up 2-0. And why not? We had beaten the Laker the year before. We "had" their #. Never mind the fact, that in 2003, we almost lost had Horry's shot not bounced out, is there anyone's doubt Laker would win Game 6?

My point here is that, "Shit happens". We can postulate all day long "What if .4 never happened", or "what if Horry's shot went down in '03", or even "What if Manu didn't foul" or "what if Amare and Diaw weren't suspended."

But in the end of the day, those things did happen.

And the record book Stands:

2003: Spurs
2004: Pistons
2005: Spurs
2006: Heat
2007: ??? (but not Mavs or Suns!)*

And nothing, nothing will change that.

*thanks Sec24Row7

easjer
05-22-2007, 03:40 PM
So, from all this, can we conclude that Detroit is going to kick the Spurs' ass in the Finals?

Certainly, one hopes that that would not be the same result.

A broad comparison only, shall we say, and not a repeat of history with different names on the jerseys.

DarrinS
05-22-2007, 03:42 PM
It's kind of an apples and oranges comparison, IMO.

The Fisher shot definitely took the wind out of the Spurs' sails, but I never felt like the SPurs were cheated, that some injustice was done to them. I just thought Fisher hit one of the most clutch shots I have ever seen (the other being Elliot's 3 against Portland).

To me, I felt like the Spurs got screwed against Mavs last year, but I'm over that already.

MadDog73
05-22-2007, 03:44 PM
I felt much more "cheated" by Fisher's shot, because of the time-clock discrepency.

I felt the Spurs just lost against the Mavs... so many missed chances.

dbreiden83080
05-22-2007, 03:49 PM

If Detroit plays like they did last night either the Spurs or the Jazz will whoop them in the finals.

dbreiden83080
05-22-2007, 03:52 PM
I felt much more "cheated" by Fisher's shot, because of the time-clock discrepency.

There really was no discrepancy i used to feel that way but the reality is the system the league uses is flawed. When watching a Reg season game the next year it was a similiar situation .4 left and one last shot. That team also got it off like Fisher did because the officials have to press a button on their waste for the clock to start running. So figure add a second to that and it is really 1.4 they have to get it off, more of a matter of a flawed way of handling the clock by the league.

GrandeDavid

No, because of the different formats (2-2-1-1-1 vs. 2-3-2).

Sec24Row7
In 2004, everyone (including the Spurs, apparently), assumed the series was a Lock when we went up 2-0. And why not? We had beaten the Laker the year before. We "had" their #. Never mind the fact, that in 2003, we almost lost had Horry's shot not bounced out, is there anyone's doubt Laker would win Game 6?

My point here is that, "Shit happens". We can postulate all day long "What if .4 never happened", or "what if Horry's shot went down in '03", or even "What if Manu didn't foul" or "what if Amare and Diaw weren't suspended."

But in the end of the day, those things did happen.

And the record book Stands:

2003: Spurs
2004: Pistons
2005: Spurs
2006: Heat
2007: ???(For Sure not Suns or Mavs)

And nothing, nothing will change that.

fixed

MadDog73
05-22-2007, 03:53 PM
IF the Spurs make it to the Finals, after beating all the teams they have to get there, to lose to the Pistons would be a great shame.

easjer
05-22-2007, 03:54 PM

I know a lot of fans who felt that way. I remember that night before my stomach dropped and I nearly vomitted thinking and saying, "No way that got off in time, no way! There's no fucking way they allow that."

I felt that way in Game 3 and 4 of the Mavs/Spurs series more than once, but they still blew too many chances.

MadDog73
05-22-2007, 03:55 PM
fixed

:toast Thanks! That sounds much better!