PDA

View Full Version : Avoid Getting Sloaned

timvp
05-22-2007, 05:40 PM
I don't put much stock into Game 1 of this series. To me, it looked like your classic Jerry Sloan throwaway game.

If you've watched the Jazz over the years, you'd see that Sloan is the king of snapping his team back into reality by leading them to ugly, coach induced losses. Game 1 looked like such a game.

If you look at playoff history and look for some of the lowest scoring games and the biggest blowouts, you'd see the Jazz a few times near the wrong end of that list. And those include the great Jazz teams who would find themselves eventually in the Finals.

The first game at home in the 1998 playoffs, the Spurs won 84-64 with the Jazz playing horrible. That'd be the only game the Spurs won that series. After the game, Sloan went public with almost the same exact thoughts that we heard after Game 1 of this series.

Sloan knows what he's doing. And his teams always bounce back after playoff losses, especially against the Spurs.

Game 1 - Spurs 106, Jazz 89
The Spurs easily dispose of the Jazz at home in Game 1. Sloan calls his team out saying they didn't bring effort. It was the last game the Spurs won in that series.

Game 2 - Spurs 88, Jazz 77
The Spurs pull out a home game and look dominant at times in doing so. Sloan says his team was soft. The Jazz win the next game by 30, 105-75.

Game 3 - Spurs 84, Jazz 64
The Spurs make the Jazz look bad. Sloan tells his team to play harder. The Jazz don't lose again and beat the rookie Tim Duncan's Spurs in 5.

The difference this time is the Spurs are the more experienced team. However, that doesn't mean the Jazz can't pull a Jerry Sloan special and make this a series with a win tonight.

Respect the opponent and don't let history happen again.

Believe.

Extra Stout
05-22-2007, 05:43 PM
The Jazz will win tonight. Unless I'm wrong.

duncan228
05-22-2007, 05:44 PM
I don't under estimate Sloan for a minute and I don't think the Spurs will either.

There's been talk on this board of a "swagger" in the Spurs right now and I too see that. But I don't think they're cocky. Duncan is aware of his own window, he wants this Title this year.

I believe the Spurs will come out to play tonight. Every game is a must win, there's no room for let down against a team as good as the Jazz.

td4mvp21
05-22-2007, 05:45 PM
Those are very comforting numbers.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-22-2007, 05:48 PM
Guard Deron Williams and the game is ours.

samikeyp
05-22-2007, 05:52 PM
Jerry Sloan is a HOF'er...if anyone has something up his sleeve for this game...its him.

FireSternin2007
05-22-2007, 05:52 PM
Guard Deron Williams and the game is ours.

D-Will is too good for Tony Parker, and too good for Bruce Bowen. In three years he'll be too good for Steve Nash and Jason Kidd. If you win tonight, and the series, I'll bet Utah takes its turn dominating for the next 5 or 6 years if this current team can stick together.

JAZZinSIX
05-22-2007, 05:56 PM
It's cool reading a board where the fans have so much respect for the Jazz. The media, and other teams, treat us as lucky to be here. That said, if the Spurs win this game, I won't be nearly as confident as I was after we went down 0-2 to Houston with T-Mac making all his pre-series Gladiator statements.

This game is going to be a dogfight and the Spurs won't take it for granted. So you're not going to get Sloaned...

You're just going to lose.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-22-2007, 05:56 PM
The difference this time is the Spurs are the more experienced team. However, that doesn't mean the Jazz can't pull a Jerry Sloan special and make this a series with a win tonight.
I would say having Stockton and Malone. Right now, they have nowhere near that kind of talent.

Kobulingam
05-22-2007, 05:57 PM
D-Will is too good for Tony Parker, and too good for Bruce Bowen. In three years he'll be too good for Steve Nash and Jason Kidd. If you win tonight, and the series, I'll bet Utah takes its turn dominating for the next 5 or 6 years if this current team can stick together.

Ohh mannn. If Bruce doesn't handcuff him today, he sure as hell will handcuff him from Game 3 onwards (with rest and tape reviews).

Bruce is all IQ. Can't fuck with Bruce.

SequSpur
05-22-2007, 05:57 PM
The Jazz have no chance.

ducks
05-22-2007, 05:58 PM
better then nash?

Budkin
05-22-2007, 06:00 PM
After the crappy second half we had the other day, there will be no letdown tonight.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-22-2007, 06:03 PM
oh ... my.... god...

Solid D
05-22-2007, 06:03 PM
Excellent homework...as usual, timvp. Submit your thoughts via e-mail to [email protected]

FromWayDowntown
05-22-2007, 06:06 PM
Jerry Sloan is a HOF'er...if anyone has something up his sleeve for this game...its him.

I don't think it's a matter of having something up his sleeve -- I do think it's a matter of Sloan getting a message through to his team. He's let them know that they must play hard, that they must play with confidence, and that they must trust each other. I'm sure that there are some small tweaks that have been undertaken, but for the most part, I think the Jazz can believe that a better first half effort on Sunday might have netted them Game 1.

I'm going to be fairly optimistic and say that I don't think that Deron Williams will be allowed to score 18 4th quarter points in Game 2. I also think the Jazz will be hard-pressed to repeat their run of 10 consecutive made FG in the 4th quarter. And I think Pop was wise to give the Spurs a day off yesterday in the hope that they might get their legs back under them a bit. I thought fatigue played a significant role in the 4th quarter in Game 1 and that, but for the wise decision to get the ball into Finley's hands a lot at the end of the 4th, the Spurs might have been vulnerable to an all-out collapse.

I don't expect that the Spurs will have another ridiculous first half, but I hope that they'll be quicker and more aggressive on the defensive boards and limit some of Utah's second chance opportunities.

Should be a much, much more competitive game all the way around. I'd prefer to avoid the repeat of what we saw last year in Game 2 against the Mavs.

LaMarcus Bryant
05-22-2007, 06:08 PM
As long as the offense is 'clicking' for 7-8 minutes of game time like it has the past 3 games, the Jazz will be playing catchup in a fairly deep hole.

IMO i'm more worried about the spurs performance than whatever the Jazz are going to do. It's a given they will outrebound us we just have to find a way to win ourselves.

TampaDude
It's cool reading a board where the fans have so much respect for the Jazz. The media, and other teams, treat us as lucky to be here. That said, if the Spurs win this game, I won't be nearly as confident as I was after we went down 0-2 to Houston with T-Mac making all his pre-series Gladiator statements.

This game is going to be a dogfight and the Spurs won't take it for granted. So you're not going to get Sloaned...

You're just going to lose.

We'll see...

SequSpur
Excellent homework...as usual, timvp. Submit your thoughts via e-mail to [email protected]

gay......................

slayermin
05-22-2007, 06:16 PM
I went to game two in '96. That Jazz team absolutely dismantled us at home.

I am more nervous about his series than Phoenix. I knew we matched up well with the Suns. I am not so sure about these Jazz. I will feel much better if we win tonight.

timvp
05-22-2007, 06:25 PM
gay......................

That's a negative and please stop emailing me.

Thanks.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-22-2007, 06:39 PM
Or it could be that Sloan is very good at making adjustments but not very good at making an initial gameplan.

Youre suggesting that Sloan intentionally tanks games which is just as absurd as the people that say that same thing about Pop when we get owned.

exstatic
05-22-2007, 06:45 PM
Not really possible. I heard they practiced at the Spurs practice center, and hopefully the webcams were recording. :smokin

teamster
05-22-2007, 07:43 PM
After tonight the series will be locked up at 1-1! When the series moves to utah the spurs will lose control of the WCF, and you will see your season crumbel into little peaces. Oh I really like how you spurs fanz show stockton 2 Malone so much love !! This jazz team today has a chance of being alot better than that era. If they stay together your spurs will feel the wrath on the new jazz! Hell why wait! now's the time to put an end to the spurs! Watch game two close D-Will will take charge of this game leading the jazz to a victory......... 1-1 !!! Salt Lake here we come...

Deb
05-22-2007, 07:47 PM
After tonight the series will be locked up at 1-1! When the series moves to utah the spurs will lose control of the WCF, and you will see your season crumbel into little peaces. Oh I really like how you spurs fanz show stockton 2 Malone so much love !! This jazz team today has a chance of being alot better than that era. If they stay together your spurs will feel the wrath on the new jazz! Hell why wait! now's the time to put an end to the spurs! Watch game two close D-Will will take charge of this game leading the jazz to a victory......... 1-1 !!! Salt Lake here we come...
We'll see about that :nope

Deb
05-22-2007, 07:49 PM
:lmao :lmao :lmao
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

BigBeezie
05-22-2007, 07:50 PM
Everything we are saying here, the Spurs already know. If they don't fart around then this game will be ours.

Clutch20
05-22-2007, 07:50 PM
Whoever owns perimeter game will be smiling after the final buzzer.

CubanMustGo
05-22-2007, 07:51 PM

Trolling really is SO much more effective when you use spell check.

tsb2000
05-22-2007, 08:16 PM
but Karl Malone is long since retired, and we're the dirty team now- right? :lol