PDA

View Full Version : Parker appears to be coming of age...

tru2ou
05-22-2007, 09:06 PM
The little guy is playing beautifully isn't he? Remember when he use to get abused in the playoffs. Not anymore this guy has turned into a wonderful player.

P.S. Speed Kills

nkdlunch
05-22-2007, 09:15 PM
Parker is awesome. He is young. but he has been playing for many years already. I will give him the benefit of the doubt, because with his experience he should be smarter at times.

but he is still young and has the potential to become one of the top 5 best PGs ever to play the game.

SpursIndonesia
05-22-2007, 10:21 PM
Good job so far as a distributor, go Tony !!

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Yep, a couple more careless passes and he can have a triple double with points, assists, and turnovers :lol

RobinsontoDuncan
05-22-2007, 10:29 PM
Yep, a couple more careless passes and he can have a triple double with points, assists, and turnovers :lol

beat me to it. In fairness to tony though, i think he only had one turnover in the first half....not sure what's going on in this second half, the whole team looks a bit sloppy

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-22-2007, 10:31 PM
beat me to it. In fairness to tony though, i think he only had one turnover in the first half....not sure what's going on in this second half, the whole team looks a bit sloppy

It's not sloppy play. It's arrogance.

Spurologist
05-22-2007, 10:41 PM

He tried to keep assist turnover ratio 2:1 throughout the game. On his 7th turnover he said fuck it and tried to pull a Nash between defenders. Lucky pop spared his ass.

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/sp/v/nba/players/2005/3527.jpg

T. Parker
7-12, 14 pts
14 ASSISTS 7 TURNOVERS ( yep it's 2:1)

Man Mountain
05-22-2007, 10:42 PM
It's not sloppy play. It's arrogance.

Oh please. It's just sloppy play by the whole team. A couple of Parker's turnovers could have easily been accessed to another player. I can't believe you find a way to bag on a guy who gets 17 and 14. Does he need to steady himself? Sure. But you are damn obnoxious.

Cry Havoc
05-22-2007, 10:46 PM
I'll take 14 assists and 7 turnovers from Tony any night. Esp. considering 1 or 2 of the turnovers is usually bunk.

He's absolutely dominant. He's finding those men on the wings like it's nobody's business.

gilmor
05-22-2007, 10:47 PM
Oh please. It's just sloppy play by the whole team. A couple of Parker's turnovers could have easily been accessed to another player. I can't believe you find a way to bag on a guy who gets 17 and 14. Does he need to steady himself? Sure. But you are damn obnoxious.

Ignore Aggie's posts on Parker, he just has got a hatred for Parker.. that's all..

anonymous coward
05-22-2007, 10:49 PM
6-6 fg in 1st half

1-6 fg in 2nd

FireSternin2007
05-22-2007, 10:50 PM
You know how they say that you just have to play the cards that you are dealt in life and how you just do the best you can blah blah blah and how men are created equal? Well, after Tony gets done celebrating tonight, he'll get in his Bentley or Mercedes or BMW or whichever he felt like driving, cruise over to his mega mansion, and be greeted by Eva Longoria. Damn damn damn damn damn double damn. (I wouldn't be so pissed if the Jazz would just compete with you guys for 48 minutes instead of around 30)

Mavs<Spurs
05-22-2007, 10:51 PM
It is true that Tony can't make anything in the second half and this has been a problem for him for years.

Is it conditioning?

What is the deal?

:bang

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-22-2007, 10:51 PM
Ignore Aggie's posts on Parker, he just has got a hatred for Parker.. that's all..

Yep, we should all embrace stupid, pointless, turnovers. You think we win with 24 turnovers in Utah?

Look, this is one of the best games I've seen him play, I just think it would have been better without a couple of really stupid pass plays that were a result of overconfidence/arrogance.

Man Mountain
05-22-2007, 10:52 PM
6-6 fg in 1st half

1-6 fg in 2nd

Guarded loosely by DW - 1st half
Guarded tightly by Fish - 2nd half
Give some credit to the opponents sometimes for adjusting to him killing them.

easjer
05-22-2007, 10:53 PM
Well in this game, he kept getting stripped in the paint with no calls or having to shoot on a hurried shot clock.

It was less about just terrible play and more about the overall way the team was playing and the game was going.

fred33
05-22-2007, 10:54 PM
8 Ass On The 2nd Half With The Defense On Him

ChumpDumper
05-22-2007, 10:54 PM
Yep, we should all embrace stupid, pointless, turnovers. You think we win with 24 turnovers in Utah?
If we outrebound them again and hold them to 44% while we shoot 56%, yes -- we will win.

It'll take some time to adjust to the trap. That's what days off are for.

Chris
05-22-2007, 10:55 PM
Well, he's got Kerr's ex-shooting coach Chip Engelland (probably typo) and that ugly jumpshot has turned into one of the prettiest jumper's in the league. Teams used to dare him to shoot that shot, now it's made him pretty much unguardable.

easjer

Of course not Aggie, but let's not forget some monumentally dumb plays by Manu and Timmy. Tony, by virtue of being the point guard, had more opportunity for bad passes.

He committed less than a third of those TOs. Too many, yes, and some dumb ones, yes.

But hardly all his fault. The Jazz did a really good job of adjusting and trying to stop the pick and roll and Tony's penetration in particular.

Man Mountain
8 Ass On The 2nd Half With The Defense On Him

Exactly. 8 assists in the 2nd half was phenomenol. But yeah, let's key on his 4 turnovers in the 2nd half (one of which was actually on Manu).

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-22-2007, 10:56 PM
I'm not talking about getting stripped in the paint. I'm talking about the fast ball behind Duncan (which he actually stared down Duncan about - wtf? :lol), the lead pass to Manu that was way ahead/over his head, and the pass in the fourth where he was trying to thread it over Deron's head/past Okur/past AK47 to TD.

easjer
05-22-2007, 10:57 PM
Manu had the same number of points, 11 fewer assists, and FIVE (5) TOs. I'd say that perhaps that is equally bad if not worse.

ChumpDumper
05-22-2007, 10:58 PM
This team always gets fancy with the passes when they are winning. Parker, Manu, Oberto all did it tonight.

anonymous coward
05-22-2007, 10:59 PM
Guarded loosely by DW - 1st half
Guarded tightly by Fish - 2nd half
Give some credit to the opponents sometimes for adjusting to him killing them.

i dont think so, everybody knows parker's tendency to dissapear in the 2nd half

ChumpDumper
05-22-2007, 11:00 PM
i dont think so, everybody knows parker's tendency to dissapear in the 2nd halfEveryone also knows the anti-Parker bias many bring to the board.

Aggie Hoopsfan
This team always gets fancy with the passes when they are winning. Parker, Manu, Oberto all did it tonight.

Yep, that's what's frustrating. You don't have to make everything a Sportscenter highlight. Just run your damn offense.

gilmor
I'm not talking about getting stripped in the paint. I'm talking about the fast ball behind Duncan (which he actually stared down Duncan about - wtf? :lol), the lead pass to Manu that was way ahead/over his head, and the pass in the fourth where he was trying to thread it over Deron's head/past Okur/past AK47 to TD.

I agreed Tony has some really stupid turnovers.. But who won't given his age? On the one hand, you continuously find fault with him is fine but on the other, you need to give credit when it's due. Like he makes some clutch shots in the 4th quarter which he will never make in playoffs past..

I see a lot of improvement in the Parker today than last year's.. and I am happy for the Spurs. Ultimately, it is the Big 3 playing well that makes the Spurs win

Man Mountain
05-22-2007, 11:01 PM
i dont think so, everybody knows parker's tendency to dissapear in the 2nd half

I guess you haven't watched the 2007 playoffs when he's knocked down big shots in the fourth quarter of nearly every game.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-22-2007, 11:02 PM
I agreed Tony has some really stupid turnovers.. But who won't given his age? On the one hand, you continuously find fault with him is fine but on the other, you need to give credit when it's due. Like he makes some clutch shots in the 4th quarter which he will never make in playoffs past..

I see a lot of improvement in the Parker today than last year's.. and I am happy for the Spurs. Ultimately, it is the Big 3 playing well that makes the Spurs win

The three was welcome and a surprise, no complaints here. But the thing about that shot? He was open in the corner. Big difference between that and the possessions in the fourth where he tried to go one on Utah and got stuffed, and then fell to the ground looking for a foul.

ducks
05-22-2007, 11:30 PM
tp has found some players open late in the fourth
hit some big jumpers
he has improved
all players have stupid turnovers now and then
chauncy had 7 last game

ducks
05-22-2007, 11:30 PM
nash had 8 turnovers one game
6 in another against spurs

ducks
05-22-2007, 11:31 PM
The three was welcome and a surprise, no complaints here. But the thing about that shot? He was open in the corner. Big difference between that and the possessions in the fourth where he tried to go one on Utah and got stuffed, and then fell to the ground looking for a foul.
yeah no other spur player ever would ever do that

Lebowski Brickowski
05-22-2007, 11:38 PM
Hell hath frozen on this board: Parker is passing too much?!?! :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Man of Steel
05-22-2007, 11:40 PM
Yup--the lad has grown up.

He's even banging a babe, now.

ducks
05-22-2007, 11:51 PM
yes

manu had 5 turnovers 3 assist
one turnover on tp should be manu's
spurs were being a little careless with the lead

Behrooz24
05-23-2007, 12:03 AM
No (called) travels tonight!

tru2ou
05-23-2007, 12:17 AM
Yep, that's what's frustrating. You don't have to make everything a Sportscenter highlight. Just run your damn offense.

Maybe they are trying to shake that boring label.

picnroll
05-23-2007, 12:23 AM
Not bagging on Manu but why all the BS for Parker when Manu had 3 assists and 5 TOs and threw some pretty crappy passes himself. I'll take 14 - 7 thanks, particularly when many of those 14 were for open threes.

aaronstampler
05-23-2007, 12:37 AM
Normally I'd go apopylectic over the 7 TOs, but 14 dimes is 14 dimes. As long as the dude's got a 2:1 ratio, it's fine by me. Manu was pretty careless with the ball too. It was a wild, sloppy, entertaining game. It's like both teams are really trying hard to shake the boring label.

It's funny, the other series has megastar dunk machine LeBron James in it, but our series will outscore theirs by about 50 points a game.

T Park
05-23-2007, 12:41 AM
Tony parker can do no right.

aaronstampler
05-23-2007, 12:53 AM
Tony parker can do no right.

Brought to you by the guy who likes Manu as long as he gets 30 and 10 a night.

wildbill2u
05-23-2007, 09:49 AM
If all out players had been a little more patient with the ball (Pop in a huddle asked for them to cut down the speed of play by only 5%) we wouldn't have had 22 TOs.

It would have been a rout all the way through to the end.

Perhaps some of those at the end of the 4th were due to fatigue because they played their asses off for three quarters.

MadDog73
05-23-2007, 10:42 AM
Can't we all just get along? :lol

Seriously, let's save the hate for when we actually lose a game. Nobody's perfect.

hater
05-23-2007, 10:53 AM
14 assists. STFU to the Tony haters

Mitch Cumsteen
05-23-2007, 11:40 AM
I really don't get the criticism of Parker. He's obviously not perfect, but the guy has gotten better every year he's been in the league. Say what you want about his over penetrating or him not being a true pass first point guard, but you can't say the guy hasn't worked his ass off to improve his game. He (and the coaching staff) deserves a ton of credit for what he's been able to accomplish.

Look where he came from to where he is now? He couldn't throw the ball into the ocean two seasons ago. Now people have to respect his jumpshot and he's so fast and such a good finisher at the rim, he's a nightmare to try to stop. Plus, he's just gotten smarter and smarter with his decision making.

I always felt like Duncan and Ginobili played at a much higher level than Parker, but I really don't feel that way anymore. If you can't recognize the improvement in his game, then you just haven't been paying attention.

Slomo
05-23-2007, 01:05 PM
I really don't get the criticism of Parker. He's obviously not perfect, but the guy has gotten better every year he's been in the league. Say what you want about his over penetrating or him not being a true pass first point guard, but you can't say the guy hasn't worked his ass off to improve his game. He (and the coaching staff) deserves a ton of credit for what he's been able to accomplish.

Look where he came from to where he is now? He couldn't throw the ball into the ocean two seasons ago. Now people have to respect his jumpshot and he's so fast and such a good finisher at the rim, he's a nightmare to try to stop. Plus, he's just gotten smarter and smarter with his decision making.

I always felt like Duncan and Ginobili played at a much higher level than Parker, but I really don't feel that way anymore. If you can't recognize the improvement in his game, then you just haven't been paying attention.
Beat me to it :tu

He has not only improved every year but he's done that at a pretty high rate.

SAGambler
05-23-2007, 01:17 PM
I think some of Manu's toughness has rubbed off on Tony too. Remember when he would drive, take a big hit a couple of times and then seemed to back off?

Maybe watching Manu take those hits, get up and keep driving has gotten Tony into the right frame of mind.

timvp
05-23-2007, 01:30 PM
Parker in the first half was about as good as a point guard can play.

DarrinS
05-23-2007, 01:35 PM
I'm not too worried about Tony "fading" as he's tended to do in previous playoffs.

Actually, I think TP is a very underrated player, especially his defense.

ducks
05-23-2007, 01:50 PM
tp was so mad at duncan for talking to him his rookie season
he did not pout he went out to prove to his teamates that he could do it