PDA

View Full Version : The math on this is real simple

Mavs<Spurs
05-22-2007, 10:38 PM
Al Michaels pointed out after the Spurs won the first two games of the finals in 05 that the math on this is real simple.

Jazz are down 0-2, gotta win 4

Only 5 games left.

Can the Jazz win 4 of the next 5?

Only if they win all 3 games at home and win 1 in San Antonio?

Tough to beat the Spurs 2 games in a row, though and if they don't win game 5 in San Antonio, then they face 2 elimination games, the last of which is in San Antonio.

Sounds difficult.

Or if they win 2 of the 3 in Utah and win 2 in San Antonio?

The chances of this are remote.

Either they have to win all of their home games or they have to win both games in San Antonio.

Neither scenario seems likely.

Mavs<Spurs
05-22-2007, 10:49 PM
Of course, in the Finals, with a 2-0 lead in the 2-3-2 format, you are almost in an invincible position.

For the other team must beat you 3 times in a row which is hardly likely (Pistons in 05 came close- which I grant you is not unlikely, but this makes the point that even they didn't actually accomplish it, did they- except against the overconfident 04 Lakers).

Or the other team must beat you 2 times in a row in your own home gym, very unlikely as well.

This format isn't as strong as that, but we don't need it to be.

:fro

SpursIndonesia
05-22-2007, 10:59 PM
Well, the Heat got it done last year with a back door sweep. So did the Lakers with their 0.4 miracle in 2004. It CAN be done, so the Spurs better keep their alert & focus the finish off this resilient Jazz.

easjer
05-22-2007, 11:06 PM
You know that is precisely what they did in Houston, right?

And Houston was supposed to be the better team.

Hardly a done deal. We need to pick up one of the next two.

Spurminator
05-22-2007, 11:09 PM
Al Michaels pointed out after the Spurs won the first two games of the finals in 05 that the math on this is real simple.

Jazz are down 0-2, gotta win 4

I checked and this is correct.

bresilhac
05-22-2007, 11:21 PM
You know that is precisely what they did in Houston, right?

And Houston was supposed to be the better team.

Hardly a done deal. We need to pick up one of the next two.

Big difference. Houston is not San Antonio. San Antonio has the poise, veteran leadership and playoff road experience to get the job done in SLC. Now ask yourself. After the display you've seen by the Spurs in the first two games do you really believe Utah can win both games in SLC plus a game at AT&T? Bottomline is that the threadstarter is correct. The chances of Utah winning 4 of 5 against the Spurs are extremely unlikely. And not only because of probability but because San Antonio is simply the better team.

SequSpur
05-22-2007, 11:23 PM
Math?

BigBeezie
05-22-2007, 11:23 PM
My prediction: game 3 win for Spurs.

Utah is out of their league. I don't think we have even brought our 'A' game yet.

easjer
05-22-2007, 11:26 PM
Big difference. Houston is not San Antonio. San Antonio has the poise, veteran leadership and playoff road experience to get the job done in SLC. Now ask yourself. After the display you've seen by the Spurs in the first two games do you really believe Utah can win both games in SLC plus a game at AT&T? Bottomline is that the threadstarter is correct. The chances of Utah winning 4 of 5 against the Spurs are extremely unlikely. And not only because of probability but because San Antonio is simply the better team.

I believe the Spurs will win the series. But damn fucking right I believe that Utah can win two at home. They've been unstoppable at home. And SA mailed in more than a couple quarters of the 2 they've played so far. They didn't play consistent or even very good defense in either game (it was good for periods, but bad for others). They let the offense slide. We allowed 20+ point leads down to single digits, twice. They didn't make great adjustments and they turned it over WAY too much.

And if the series gets tied - anything can happen.

Do I think Utah will win 4 of 5? No. Could they? Fuck yeah.

As I originally stated, Spurs need to pick up one of the next two. Pressure is off if they pick up 3. It's a crapshoot. I'd prefer them to win 3, but I'll settle for 4. Don't underestimate this team. We split the season series for a reason.

efrem1
05-22-2007, 11:45 PM
The No Limit Army Commander will prep us before Game 3 Saturday!!