PDA

View Full Version : Skip Bayless says that RC Buford is going to Seattle

Jimcs50
05-23-2007, 09:46 AM
to be their new GM, on Cold Pizza.

Could this be true?

Would RC go if given a huge raise?

If so, would Pop go back to being GM and coach too, and then give PJ an Assistant Head Coach title with more responsibility, then let PJ take over maybe the next year?

IX_Equilibrium
05-23-2007, 09:50 AM
wtf?

Kermit
05-23-2007, 09:51 AM
sam presti is more than capable.

Kori Ellis
05-23-2007, 09:56 AM
I heard they were interested in RC (and also Presti) but that RC wasn't interested because the Sonics were giving the final player personnel, etc decisions to Lenny Wilkins (president). And that the only way RC would consider going there is if that was not the case.

Now that they landed the number 2, I'm not sure how RC would feel about going there. But I can't blame him if he goes. If he doesn't go, I'm sure they want Presti.

If either of them go, I'm guessing they'll take PJ with them.

Budkin
05-23-2007, 09:56 AM
It would suck to lose RC but it would be awesome to be able to keep Presti long term.

slacker77
05-23-2007, 09:57 AM
That would suck..his usa today spread helped him out

IX_Equilibrium
05-23-2007, 09:57 AM
But I can't blame him if he goes.

Why would he?

Kori Ellis
05-23-2007, 09:58 AM
If so, would Pop go back to being GM and coach too

No, if RC goes, then I think automatically Presti would become the Spurs GM. And I'm not even sure that's a step down from RC.

and then give PJ an Assistant Head Coach title with more responsibility, then let PJ take over maybe the next year?

I doubt that's ever been the plan for PJ to take over for Pop. I'm hoping he finally gets a job this summer - Seattle or somewhere else.

Kori Ellis
05-23-2007, 09:58 AM
Why would he?

The challenge of building a young franchise.

Solid D
05-23-2007, 10:00 AM

...with Kevin Durant :lol

Kori Ellis
05-23-2007, 10:03 AM
...with Kevin Durant :lol

or with Greg Oden. :)

Admidave50
05-23-2007, 10:03 AM
It would be nice if PJ could have a coaching job opportunity for next year!

JamStone
05-23-2007, 10:04 AM
I don't know much about what's going on with the Sonics, just from what I read here and there. But, I think they're going to be sold soon, right?

When the Sonics are sold, isn't it likely they don't stay in Seattle? What are the cities that are likely to be the new home for the Sonics?

Darkwaters
05-23-2007, 10:04 AM

Thats kind of exciting. I live in Oklahoma City and chances are that the Sonics will move here in the next year or two. I wouldn't mind having a capable front-office to pair with Kevin Durant.

Of course, the Spurs have always been my first love. But it's a really long drive! And the Hornets were very entertaining the last two years.

Kori Ellis
05-23-2007, 10:05 AM
I don't know much about what's going on with the Sonics, just from what I read here and there. But, I think they're going to be sold soon, right?

When the Sonics are sold, isn't it likely they don't stay in Seattle? What are the cities that are likely to be the new home for the Sonics?

They were already sold last year. They have until this October to get an arena deal in place or they are moving - likely to OKC. (Though the move won't take place until the following season).

tsb2000
05-23-2007, 10:05 AM
Ok, color me confused. Doesn't Seattle have the #2 pick, and Portland #1? I would guess the Blazers would pick Oden, no?

Kori Ellis
05-23-2007, 10:06 AM
Ok, color me confused. Doesn't Seattle have the #2 pick, and Portland #1? I would guess the Blazers would pick Oden, no?

Yes, I was joking because people are always trying to make believe that Oden won't go number one.

Darkwaters
05-23-2007, 10:06 AM

Yep. And the Sonics let Rashard Lewis walk and draft Kevin Durant.

Slydragon
05-23-2007, 10:07 AM

yea Kori is confusing me also with the last few post.

Kori Ellis
05-23-2007, 10:07 AM
Yep. And the Sonics let Rashard Lewis walk and draft Kevin Durant.
Exactly.

I'd let Rashard walk anyway, even if they didn't have the number 2 pick - he wants the max :lol

Kori Ellis
05-23-2007, 10:08 AM
yea Kori is confusing me also with the last few post.

Sorry :lol the original post was a typo. The second one was a joke (that I explained).

tsb2000
05-23-2007, 10:09 AM
Yes, I was joking because people are always trying to make believe that Oden won't go number one.

Well, if there's a franchise out there capable of boning the #1 pick, it's Portland!

Sam Bowie, anyone? :lol :drunk

Kermit
05-23-2007, 10:10 AM
i guess zach randolph can say goodbye to portland.

Slydragon
05-23-2007, 10:10 AM
Sorry :lol the original post was a typo. The second one was a joke (that I explained).

it's cool, I am just happy I was not the only one lost. :lol

I was making my first post when you explained so I did not see it till after mine was up.

Melmart1
05-23-2007, 10:12 AM
The burning question is -- will RC tell Ray Allen that he is a pussy?

Jimcs50
05-23-2007, 10:14 AM
Well, if there's a franchise out there capable of boning the #1 pick, it's Portland!

Sam Bowie, anyone? :lol :drunk

Portland had the #2 pick, not number 1.

Hakeem went #1 that year to Houston

Bruno
05-23-2007, 10:16 AM
Couldn't Spurs get some kind of compensation from Seattle if they let Buford go ?

Jimcs50
05-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Couldn't Spurs get some kind of compensation from Seattle if they let Buford go ?

Yes, in fact, according to the NBA bylaws, the Sonics would have to surrender their 2007 #1 draft pick as compensation.

SilverPlayer
05-23-2007, 10:26 AM
I really hope someone takes RC and PJ off the Spurs hands, RC blew it in my mind with the Josh Howard travesty.

And I think Pop needs his main assistant to have a more contrasting style with Pop. Somebody that will challenge Pop when he is being stubborn, and someone who will push Pop to use more motion offense.

violentkitten
05-23-2007, 10:28 AM
adios.

tsb2000
05-23-2007, 10:30 AM

I know, I'm just saying that proved they were capable. :)

GrandeDavid
05-23-2007, 10:33 AM
The burning question is -- will RC tell Ray Allen that he is a pussy?

:lol

I love when ladies talk dirty! :lol

johngateswhiteley
05-23-2007, 10:37 AM
people are always trying to make believe that Oden won't go number one.

you mean the dumb ass t.u. fans on this board?

Bruno
05-23-2007, 10:37 AM
Yes, in fact, according to the NBA bylaws, the Sonics would have to surrender their 2007 #1 draft pick as compensation.

:donkey

Knicks get a second round pick when they let JVG go to Houston. Maybe Spurs could get something for RC.

Kermit
05-23-2007, 10:38 AM
it's nice to see that your inferiority complex is still intact.

Dingle Barry
05-23-2007, 10:41 AM
blow me bud

TDMVPDPOY
05-23-2007, 10:51 AM
if seatle moves to oklahoma, are they going to do a division realignment for seatle, so we get to see gay ray whine 4 times a season

T Park
05-23-2007, 11:05 AM
If RC can go, and take PJ with him that works out fantastic.

The Spurs can work in some new blood on the bench, AND, Presti takes over the reigns and he is a better GM than RC IMO.

Presti coming in to take over and giving him a bigger contract would be fantastic.

Supergirl
05-23-2007, 11:12 AM
i guess zach randolph can say goodbye to portland.

Actually, I think Portland drafting Greg Oden may save Zach Randolph's career. He puts up great stats, but he's had a lousy work ethic and clearly showed he's not capable of being a "franchise player" -- so draft Oden, play them together as a small but tough frontcourt line up, and I like Portland's chances a lot, lot more.

Getting the #1 pick may have also saved the Portland franchise, too. There's been talk about them moving, too.

Mr. Body
05-23-2007, 11:15 AM
I'd say Randolph is gone. There's a true lack of post scorers in some areas of the league (Chicago), who will pay the cost for him. Portland could definitely keep him, but his value is high.

Kermit
05-23-2007, 11:17 AM
Actually, I think Portland drafting Greg Oden may save Zach Randolph's career. He puts up great stats, but he's had a lousy work ethic and clearly showed he's not capable of being a "franchise player" -- so draft Oden, play them together as a small but tough frontcourt line up, and I like Portland's chances a lot, lot more.

Getting the #1 pick may have also saved the Portland franchise, too. There's been talk about them moving, too.
so, they're going to start 2 power-forwards and a center? someone is getting traded and my money is on randolph due to reasons you've already covered. either that or draft durant.

Dingle Barry
05-23-2007, 11:18 AM
Jason Terry for Randolph

Supergirl
05-23-2007, 11:21 AM
so, they're going to start 2 power-forwards and a center? someone is getting traded and my money is on randolph due to reasons you've already covered. either that or draft durant.

Neither Oden or Durant is a center, they'd both be undersized, I believe. But there aren't any good true centers in the draft, and there really aren't many left in the league - Shaq? On the decline. Yao? Still pretty soft, just tall. But beyond that, who do we have? TD is the best center in the league, and he plays more like a PF. Ben Wallace is probably the best "center" and he's undersized.

So, going with Oden and Randolph would be a strong, athletic frontcourt that could compete with just about any team in the league.

You may be right - they could probably swing a great trade for Randolph because teams will pay for him, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them keep them both and see how they play together. But if it doesn't work, Randolph is gone.

Kori Ellis
05-23-2007, 11:24 AM
Neither Oden or Durant is a center, they'd both be undersized, I believe. .

What?

Oden is only a center. He's a pure center - 7 footer.

tlongII
05-23-2007, 11:26 AM
Neither Oden or Durant is a center, they'd both be undersized, I believe. But there aren't any good true centers in the draft, and there really aren't many left in the league - Shaq? On the decline. Yao? Still pretty soft, just tall. But beyond that, who do we have? TD is the best center in the league, and he plays more like a PF. Ben Wallace is probably the best "center" and he's undersized.

So, going with Oden and Randolph would be a strong, athletic frontcourt that could compete with just about any team in the league.

You may be right - they could probably swing a great trade for Randolph because teams will pay for him, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them keep them both and see how they play together. But if it doesn't work, Randolph is gone.

Oden is 7 feet tall and 280 lbs at 19 years of age. He will be one of the bigger centers in the NBA.

Kori Ellis
05-23-2007, 11:27 AM
Oden is 7 feet tall and 280 lbs at 19 years of age. He will be one of the bigger centers in the NBA.

Congrats to the Blazers by the way. If they don't mess up, they should win a title in about four or five years.

fyatuk
05-23-2007, 11:29 AM
TD is the best center in the league, and he plays more like a PF.

TD is a PF, not just plays like one. He has previously refused to play the center position on a permanent basis...

mardigan
Randolph is gone, Aldridge will be at that pf spot next year. My question is what are they going to do with Pryzbilla. They just gave him a new contract, and are paying him to much to be a backup, so does that mean he is gone as well?

tlongII
Congrats to the Blazers by the way. If they don't mess up, they should win a title in about four or five years.

I still can't believe it. It must be similar to how Spurs' fans felt when they got the #1 pick for Robinson or Duncan.

SilverPlayer
05-23-2007, 11:30 AM
I think the Blazers have done a great job of resurrecting themselves...They worked last years draft with amazing skill and insight. They didn't attempt to tank. They've shed most of their bad boy image, but as we are finding out a little bit of toughness goes a long way.

I wish them well.

Kori Ellis
05-23-2007, 11:31 AM
I still can't believe it. It must be similar to how Spurs' fans felt when they got the #1 pick for Robinson or Duncan.

What's funny is that LJ and I were talking that Portland would be a monster team if they got Oden. And we were rooting hard against Boston getting in the top 3. We were dying laughing when it happened.

tlongII
05-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Randolph is gone, Aldridge will be at that pf spot next year. My question is what are they going to do with Pryzbilla. They just gave him a new contract, and are paying him to much to be a backup, so does that mean he is gone as well?

Przybilla's contract is not that bad. It's a bit high for a backup, but that's what he is now. I think this will work out well considering Przybilla's durability issues.

mardigan
05-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Przybilla's contract is not that bad. It's a bit high for a backup, but that's what he is now. I think this will work out well considering Przybilla's durability issues.
I dont know, paying 6 plus million a year for a backup is a little pricey imo

tlongII
05-23-2007, 11:34 AM
What's funny is that LJ and I were talking that Portland would be a monster team if they got Oden. And we were rooting hard against Boston getting in the top 3. We were dying laughing when it happened.

I hate the Celtics! It was pretty funny to see their fans' reactions to the lottery.

tlongII
05-23-2007, 11:36 AM
I dont know, paying 6 plus million a year for a backup is a little pricey imo

Fortunately our owner can afford it.

Kori Ellis
05-23-2007, 11:37 AM
Fortunately our owner can afford it.

Plus you have Magloire and LaFrentz coming off the books, right?

mardigan
05-23-2007, 11:38 AM
Raef has a player option next year according to hoopshype

Kermit
no, lafrentz has a player option for $12 million. i think he's staying.

T Park
With Oden, and others improving, the Blazers make the playoffs easily next year.

Kori Ellis
05-23-2007, 11:39 AM
no, lafrentz has a player option for $12 million. i think he's staying.

Oh, I thought I heard they were buying him out of that at a reduced rate.

Kermit
05-23-2007, 11:41 AM
Oh, I thought I heard they were buying him out of that at a reduced rate.
they might. still counts against the cap, right?

SenorSpur
05-23-2007, 11:43 AM
I'd say Randolph is gone. There's a true lack of post scorers in some areas of the league (Chicago), who will pay the cost for him. Portland could definitely keep him, but his value is high.

My first thought when Portland won the pick is that Zach Randolph's days are now numbered. He's got a HUGE price tag, but there are a lot of teams that can use a post scorer of his type - DAL, CHI, ATL, BOS - all come to mind. There should be some definite interest. Either way the Blazers are in a very enviable position.

Kori Ellis
05-23-2007, 11:45 AM
I think Zach would be almost impossible to trade - it's the max (or close to it).

Why wouldn't the Blazers just keep an incredible 3-man front court rotation in Oden/Aldridge/Randolph?

ChumpDumper
05-23-2007, 11:48 AM
For some reason, Randolph for Richard Jefferson keeps popping in my head.

Mr. Body
05-23-2007, 11:53 AM
I didn't realize Randolph had such an ungodly contract - thru 2011. They have to trade him if they can, or else he could threaten to derail plans down the road.

Randolph for Jefferson sounds about right. Both injury prone but one a better citizen.

tmtcsc
05-23-2007, 11:57 AM

hmmmm, who was the 1st guard drafted that year ? I think he went third and now owns about 6 rings. :reading

tmtcsc
05-23-2007, 11:58 AM
My first thought when Portland won the pick is that Zach Randolph's days are now numbered. He's got a HUGE price tag, but there are a lot of teams that can use a post scorer of his type - DAL, CHI, ATL, BOS - all come to mind. There should be some definite interest. Either way the Blazers are in a very enviable position.

I imagine the Lakers might be interested.

tlongII
05-23-2007, 12:00 PM

LaFrentz will come off after next season I believe.

mardigan
05-23-2007, 12:03 PM
LaFrentz will come off after next season I believe.
Hes on the books till 08/09, makes about 13 mill his last season

Jimcs50
05-23-2007, 12:04 PM
hmmmm, who was the 1st guard drafted that year ? I think he went third and now owns about 6 rings. :reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb2000

Sam Bowie, anyone?

I was correcting his post about Portland blowing the #1 pick...they and the #2 pick that year. And in all fairness, MJ was not that much better than Bowie if at all at that point in their careers. Bowie was great at Kentucky and his career was cut short becauser of injuries to his legs....not his fault. Nobody knew that MJ would be as good as he turned out. Portland's pick at the time was really not scrutinized at all.

Kermit
05-23-2007, 12:16 PM
I was correcting his post about Portland blowing the #1 pick...they and the #2 pick that year. And in all fairness, MJ was not that much better than Bowie if at all at that point in their careers. Bowie was great at Kentucky and his career was cut short becauser of injuries to his legs....not his fault. Nobody knew that MJ would be as good as he turned out. Portland's pick at the time was really not scrutinized at all.
and why should it be. drexler was a beast and they needed frontcourt help.

mardigan
05-23-2007, 12:24 PM
and why should it be. drexler was a beast and they needed frontcourt help.
If Bowie hadnt been so injury prone, his career would have been looked at much more favorably. Your right, they had just drafted Drexler the year before, and they needed a big. Bowie averaged 10 points, 9 boards and 3 blocks his rookie year, not to bad at all. If he hadnt been hurt his next 3 years, who knows

TheTruth
05-23-2007, 12:27 PM
The Brandon Roy/Greg Oden duo is going to be scary for the next decade plus. Throw in Aldridge and they've got one of the best young cores ever. Damn.

ajh18
05-23-2007, 12:28 PM
In Ford's blog, he wondered about a sign and trade of Lewis for Randolph. That might work out wel for both teams, if Portland threw in a little incentive.

50 cent
05-23-2007, 12:29 PM
I said and was doing the exact same thing when the Boston card came up at #5.

Das Texan
05-23-2007, 12:35 PM
If RC goes he goes.

We get Presti, we still win out.

judaspriestess
05-23-2007, 12:44 PM

God I hope not, we are looking to move to Portland in a couple of years. That would suck!! :bang

clubalien
05-23-2007, 07:58 PM
you might want to read this thread

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68606
Greg Oden’s Draft Stock Plummets!

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-23-2007, 09:41 PM
Jason Terry for Randolph

Pritchard came from the Spurs front office. He won't go for a stupid trade like that. There are some grumblings in Dallas that the Mavs are toying with the idea of Howard + filler to Portland for Randolph, which I think is far fetched in itself.

TD is a PF, not just plays like one. He has previously refused to play the center position on a permanent basis...

Ugh. He's a center. Everyone knows the story about what he likes to be announced as in the pre-game, but face the facts - he's a center.

picnroll
05-23-2007, 09:46 PM
There are some grumblings in Dallas that the Mavs are toying with the idea of Howard + filler to Portland for Randolph, which I think is far fetched in itself.

Oden
Aldredge
Howard
Roy
Jack

Cuban certainly can't be stupid enough to make that trade within his own conference.

conversekid
05-23-2007, 10:56 PM

Portland on the Radio today sounded more interested in duran...

judaspriestess
05-23-2007, 11:34 PM
Portland on the Radio today sounded more interested in duran...

Kevin Durant is pretty ok, I find that odd though since they are so deep in forward spot already

The Truth #6
05-23-2007, 11:44 PM

Chicago gets a low post scorer and Portland gets...scrappy role players? That seems like a trade that could benefit both. Each of those teams has a lot of talent but not balanced. Good idea.

ducks
05-24-2007, 12:06 AM
Oden
Aldredge
Howard
Roy
Jack

Cuban certainly can't be stupid enough to make that trade within his own conference.
might care less if he is planning on selling mavs