PDA

View Full Version : Utah's Williams special, but he's no Parker

ducks
05-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Utah's Williams special, but he's no Parker

SAN ANTONIO -- After Deron Williams' second-half performance in Sunday's Game 1 loss, analyst Mark Jackson said the second-year guard had to be in the conversation with Steve Nash and Tony Parker among the Western Conference's top point guards.

Jackson's opinion has picked up so much clout that it has him on the radar for coaching vacancies, but I've got to go Dennis Green on him. If you want to crown D-Will, go ahead and crown his ass, but Parker made that comment look pretty foolish in San Antonio's 105-96 Game 2 victory.

Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich wanted to ensure Parker was focused in Game 2, so he matched up his point guard with Williams rather than Derek Fisher from the jump, and the tweak got the desired results. Williams missed five of his first seven shots, committed four first-half turnovers and looked out of sorts.

Parker hit his first six field goals, ended up with 14 assists -- a playoff career high -- and set the tone for another lopsided result.

On the same floor that showcased Duncan's brilliance around the basket, Manu Ginobili's electricity, Carlos Boozer's strength and Williams' competitiveness, it was Parker's speed that was Game 2's most dangerous weapon. He got to the basket whenever he wanted, read where the defense was collapsing and found the open man.

Simple and effective. Deadly and unstoppable.

"Every time I penetrate they are wide open," Parker said, "so I guess they’re forcing us to make our best shots. Tonight, we made our shots."

If there was one spot where Utah could grab an advantage to change the current climate of the series, it was at the point. After watching Williams carve up the Spurs for 26 second-half points in Game 1, maybe your mind started to wander, too.

Parker made sure that didn't happen, even adding a rare 3-pointer in the final minute to cement the result. It was a neat finishing touch on one of the best performances of his playoff career, a night where his decision-making was exceptional, rising to the challenge at hand.

"Pop got on him about that and knowing they are packing the lane in and that our shooters are going to be open," said Duncan. "I thought he did a great job using enough dribbles to draw people and find our shooters. He got Brent (Barry) off. He got Bruce (Bowen) off in that fourth quarter. All of those shots were because of his penetration."

This isn't meant to be a rip job on Williams, who truly is a special player. He rebounded with another strong second half, scoring 19 of his 26 points, but he's not on Parker's level yet. He'll deserve to be called one of the league's top point guards someday soon, but that doesn't look like it's going to come soon enough to save the Jazz in this series.

It's not even fair to expect him to. Williams is in his second year in the league. Parker, despite being just two years older, has been a professional since he was 19 years old. He had already won his first ring before Williams had enrolled at Illinois.

And yes, Parker did win a championship in his second year in the league, but keep in mind that he had veterans David Robinson, Tim Duncan, Steve Smith, Terry Porter and Bowen around him. On this Utah squad, Williams is counted on to be a leader.

Taking a team to a national championship game is the not equivalent to winning a pair of NBA titles, and Williams is just now gaining the type of experience it takes to break through with a win in a hostile atmosphere like San Antonio.

Utah's two disastrous second quarters in this series are no coincidence. The Spurs are capable of stretches where they find another gear, and the only way to beat them is to keep those runs from crippling you. Managing the pace ultimately falls on the point guard's shoulders, and the Jazz were guilty of sloppy play, rushing shots and feeding the avalanche.

Williams should be more comfortable at home on Saturday, where the Jazz hope it won't take him until the second half to get going.

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/10192921

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-23-2007, 11:31 AM
And yes, Parker did win a championship in his second year in the league, but keep in mind that he had veterans David Robinson, Tim Duncan, Steve Smith, Terry Porter and Bowen around him.

Thank God for Smith and Porter during that '03 playoffs! Those helium-filled bench chairs might have floated up to the ceiling if not for them!

Testing
05-23-2007, 12:17 PM
Parker has Duncan, Finley, Ginobili, Barry to pass to.

Williams has Boozer to pass to. Makes a big difference.

FireSternin2007
05-23-2007, 01:34 PM
Well, Williams didn't exactly suck in Game 2. 26 points and 10 assists. Parker has been in the league 6 years (5 maybe?). So saying Williams isn't Parker is no problem for me. They are different players. Williams is bigger and more powerful and will be a more prolific scorer than Parker. Parker is faster and always will be. He also has a better line-up to pass to. I'd say both of them will continue to get better, but I'll take D-Will on my team over Parker any day.

Spurminator
05-23-2007, 01:39 PM
I don't remember Porter taking a break from coaching Milwaukee to come play for the Spurs in 2003. You'd think that would have gotten more pub.

to21
05-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Yeah of course he's no Parker. They are two different types of players.

One thing is for sure, that kid can BALL!

duncan_21
05-23-2007, 01:43 PM
I think you have to be careful when you compare players. Williams has a face up jump shooting boozer and okur for help on offense. TP has alot to work with and doesn't have to carry the load. IMO i think parker is a bit better then williams but this one game/series doesn't prove it either way.

duncan_21
05-23-2007, 01:44 PM
Well, Williams didn't exactly suck in Game 2. 26 points and 10 assists. Parker has been in the league 6 years (5 maybe?). So saying Williams isn't Parker is no problem for me. They are different players. Williams is bigger and more powerful and will be a more prolific scorer than Parker. Parker is faster and always will be. He also has a better line-up to pass to. I'd say both of them will continue to get better, but I'll take D-Will on my team over Parker any day.

I'd take either guy and couldn't criticize anyone for taking williams over parker.

timvp
05-23-2007, 01:47 PM
Parker and Williams have such different roles on their team that you can't really even compare them. Williams has the ball every play and he's in charge of making things happen offensively. The Spurs, on the other hand, have three guys who you can run the ball through at any given time.

Since Parker is easily the better defender, he's probably the better player right this moment. But it's tough to compare the Spurs apple to the Jazz orange.

ducks
05-23-2007, 01:47 PM
if spurs did not have manu or duncan create as much on o
tp would score more and average more assist

cheguevara
05-23-2007, 01:48 PM

and spurs would get crushed by Utah and the rest of the NBA

ducks
05-23-2007, 01:51 PM
depends on who replaced duncan and manu!

no one would replace duncan but some players come closer then others

FireSternin2007
05-23-2007, 01:52 PM

I actually think the opposite is true. Parker only gets open Js when the defense collapses on TD or Manu. Parker isn't going to go and score 30 pts a night without TD. Sure he gets to the basket and scores some layups, but if the defense didn't have to worry about the other two all night, then Parker wouldn't be getting to the hoop as much either. Parker is fantastic in this system with these players, but it would be interesting to see him operate in a lesser environment like say...Portland or Seattle etc...

coachmac87
05-23-2007, 01:54 PM
tony parker will never be the pg that deron williams is now...parker is a pure scorer...deron has everything u need in a pg..handles,vision, excellent passing ability, and he can spread the floor with a 3 and shoot from anywhere on the court...parker just has pure speed..probally one of the best at finishing at the basket...parker could score like 22pts a game for a season and that will be his best year...williams will most likely have a 20&10 career average when its said and done...

ducks
lakers forcused on stoping tp before and won in playoffs
parker has improved
suns said their forcus was to slow tp down
we all know how that turned out

ducks
any point guard is not as good without a big

judaspriestess
05-23-2007, 03:39 PM
So I guess Charles Barkley is eating one big fat crow right now.

whottt
05-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Too bad Drob never had shooters like these guys...except for the Rifleman.(Dale Ellis, AKA the Walking(sleepwalking) Dead doesn't count since they found out after he retired that he had actually been a zombie since 1988.

BeerIsGood!
05-23-2007, 03:46 PM
Too bad Drob never had shooters like these guys...

That would be scary. I think you put DRob circa 1995 on this team in place of TD and you have a Champion. It just goes to show it's not just about the big star, it's who you surround him with and how you coach that makes the difference.

samikeyp
05-23-2007, 03:46 PM
tony parker will never be the pg that deron williams is now...parker is a pure scorer...deron has everything u need in a pg..handles,vision, excellent passing ability, and he can spread the floor with a 3 and shoot from anywhere on the court...parker just has pure speed..probally one of the best at finishing at the basket...parker could score like 22pts a game for a season and that will be his best year...williams will most likely have a 20&10 career average when its said and done...

Good call.

The author is right. Williams is no Parker but also Parker is no Williams. Its not like either guy is horrible. They are both all-star quality players. They just have different styles.

I would take Parker at the moment because he has some more time in the league under his belt but if Deron Williams was ever a Spur....I would be very happy.

whottt
05-23-2007, 03:49 PM
That would be scary. I think you put DRob circa 1995 on this team in place of TD and you have a Champion. It just goes to show it's not just about the big star, it's who you surround him with and how you coach that makes the difference.

The thing is...the Shooters the Spurs have now are effective even when they aren't hitting their shots(with the exception of Finley who jacks up too many)...because they don't get doubled off of...

This is why we could never beat the Jazz...even when we had Duncan and Drob. We never had more than 1 shooter that was respected...DRob never had teamates that punished opponents that doubled him...that's why he'd shoot 41% against the Jazz Quintuple teams.

Say what you want...but if you doubled Hakeem...Mario Elie, Robert Horry...they made you pay. Just like they did when they came to the Spurs.

RobinsontoDuncan
05-23-2007, 03:49 PM
Too bad Drob never had shooters like these guys...except for the Rifleman.(Dale Ellis, AKA the Walking(sleepwalking) Dead doesn't count since they found out after he retired that he had actually been a zombie since 1988.

Spurs would be working on championship no. 9 if he had

picnroll
05-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Both are good. If Parker keeps progressing with his mid-range shot and even a three he'll be ridiculous. One thing Williams has that Parker hasn't had is a guy like Boozer who is good at pick and pop as well as pick and roll. It would be interesting to see howw good Parker would do playing with a great pick and roll and pick and pop player.

degenerate_gambler
05-23-2007, 03:53 PM
So I guess Charles Barkley is eating one big fat crow right now.

nah, not yet. Ginobili said last nite all the Spurs did was get what they were supposed to get - 2 wins at home.

Two more W's then you can serve it up to Chuck on a silver platter.

whottt
05-23-2007, 03:53 PM
Spurs would be working on championship no. 9 if he had

Yeah...the Spurs idea of putting a shooter with Drob was signing Lloyd Daniels out of a crackhouse.

BeerIsGood!
05-23-2007, 03:57 PM
Williams is a damn good offensive player, but he isn't half the defender that Parker is. Parker is carving him up and serving up 14 assists off of penetration alone, Williams can't do a damn thing about it. Good player, but one dimensional at this point. If he never develops the other dimension, he'll never be as good as Parker.

coachmac87
05-23-2007, 04:00 PM
since when has tony parker been a good defender? his defense is going back at the other guy i havent seen him shut down anybody

whottt
05-23-2007, 04:02 PM
Parker is probably the most complete PG in the NBA at this time...people hold his assist totals against him, but the Spurs offense is not designed to give him a ton of assists every game...nor is that what Pop asks of him.

Not many guards bring it on both sides of the ball like Parker...

I think it's a toss up between he and Chauncey Billups as to which one is the most complete...

Nash is too much of a defensive liability to qualify for the title..and IMO, so is Kidd, plus Kidd can't hit the side of a barn....they are probably more Franchise P Guards than Parker is...but I don't think they are as complete on both sides of the ball as he is...

BeerIsGood!
05-23-2007, 04:03 PM
since when has tony parker been a good defender? his defense is going back at the other guy i havent seen him shut down anybody

He defended the hell out of Iverson, Nash and Barbosa, and has been on both Fisher and Williams here. Williams isn't getting much of anything easy, and Parker + Bowen are reasons why. Watch a little more closely.

ginobili fan
05-23-2007, 04:05 PM
Both are good. If Parker keeps progressing with his mid-range shot and even a three he'll be ridiculous. One thing Williams has that Parker hasn't had is a guy like Boozer who is good at pick and pop as well as pick and roll. It would be interesting to see howw good Parker would do playing with a great pick and roll and pick and pop player.

Then it would be ridiculous.
When you see Tony scoring right now, we can see that he don't need manu or Tim.
He can score with guys like horry or oberto,finley...only.
And with a guy like boozer parker would average 25 and 10,with his speed,his dribble abilities, and his effectiveness to finish.(I'm not even talking about his iproving jumpshot)

ducks
05-23-2007, 04:06 PM
wtf
did you not see what he did to the 6 man of the year

whottt
05-23-2007, 04:08 PM

Since about 2004....he actually had kind of a relapse last season but bounced back pretty good this season.

Tony Parker is an excellent defender when pressed into service to be one, Pop doesn't really ask it of him often, yet, but he can do it...he has trouble matching up with big strong PG's...but they have trouble matching up with him too.

Did you watch him defend AI?

He's the only player I've ever seen stay in front of AI when AI is heading to the basket. He was better on AI in that series than Bruce was IMO...I think the same was true against Nash as well...but Bowen got the most minutes because I guess that's what Pop was most comfortable with(maybe he didn't want to run Tony's legs off on D).

Parker is an excellent defender against long thin 2 guards or fast PG's...he just doesn't usually have to show it because Bruce usually gets the assignment.

Findog
05-23-2007, 04:10 PM
Pfft...I'd take Williams over Parker in a heartbeat. Parker is a rich man's Devin Harris.

ducks
05-23-2007, 04:11 PM
Pfft...I'd take Williams over Parker in a heartbeat. Parker is a rich man's Devin Harris.
coaches take tp
proof allstar game:owned

whottt
05-23-2007, 04:12 PM
Yeah but you also call yourself Findog...which means for you to like Parker he'd have to jack up shots like he's Jordan, whether he's hitting them or not.

degenerate_gambler
05-23-2007, 04:14 PM

i hope your screen name isn't indicative of the profession you're in because you're clueless.

Findog
05-23-2007, 04:15 PM
coaches take tp

That doesn't mean anything to me. Williams is stronger, has a better outside shot, is a better distributor, can defend as well or better, and isn't far behind Parker in the speed dept. Only Barbosa and Harris can tie Parker in a footrace.

A lot of Parker's flaws are hidden playing with Duncan and Manu. Like I said, he's a luxury version of Devin Harris.

ducks
05-23-2007, 04:16 PM
yeah coaches are stupid they study the game
and watch film
they should listen to you because you might study the game 1/100 of what they do

timvp
05-23-2007, 04:17 PM
can defend as well or better, and isn't far behind Parker in the speed dept

Stick to football.

ducks
05-23-2007, 04:20 PM
why can williams never do anything against the spurs in the second quarter
after that the game has been over

Findog
05-23-2007, 04:20 PM
yeah coaches are stupid they study the game
and watch film
they should listen to you because you might study the game 1/100 of what they do

Coaches aren't infallible. Anybody who thinks Tony Parker is better than Deron Williams after watching this season or the last two games head to head needs to share their stash with me. All Star Game selections tend to go to the best players on the best teams. It's a given that the Spurs weren't going to get just one berth with Duncan. Jamal Mashburn and Dan Majerle made an All Star Team. What's your point?

Findog
05-23-2007, 04:21 PM
Stick to football.

I don't like football. And I can't believe anybody objective would take TP over Deron.

timvp
05-23-2007, 04:23 PM
I don't like football. And I can't believe anybody objective would take TP over Deron.

You lost any credibility when you said Williams and Parker are on the same level defensively.

picnroll
05-23-2007, 04:24 PM
And Devin Harris is a guy living under an overpass with a shopping cart's Tony Parker.

Findog
05-23-2007, 04:25 PM
You lost any credibility when you said Williams and Parker are on the same level defensively.

They're both mediocre defensively.

timvp
05-23-2007, 04:28 PM
They're both mediocre defensively.

Thanks for reiterating my point.

Findog
05-23-2007, 04:28 PM
And Devin Harris is a guy living under an overpass with a shopping cart's Tony Parker.

They're the exact same kind of player, except Parker is a little bit better in every way. Harris is good at getting into the paint, Parker is great at it. Harris is a mediocre undersized perimeter defender adept at flopping, Parker is a smidge better. Harris has no outside shot, Parker is a streaky and inconsistent outside shooter. Neither one is a great passer or good at creating shot opportunities, but it's not as big a deal for Parker since he can throw a decent entry pass to Duncan, nor does it take much skill to swing the ball to Bowen or Finley in the corner.

Findog
05-23-2007, 04:29 PM
Thanks for reiterating my point.

Take off the homer glasses. Parker is a very good, borderline All Star. But he's not better than Williams.

ducks
05-23-2007, 04:31 PM
They're the exact same kind of player, except Parker is a little bit better in every way. Harris is good at getting into the paint, Parker is great at it. Harris is a mediocre undersized perimeter defender adept at flopping, Parker is a smidge better. Harris has no outside shot, Parker is a streaky and inconsistent outside shooter. Neither one is a great passer or good at creating shot opportunities, but it's not as big a deal for Parker since he can throw a decent entry pass to Duncan, nor does it take much skill to swing the ball to Bowen or Finley in the corner.

first off you have to drive to create for bowen or finely in the corner
then you have to see them and pass it to them

if it was so easy why can dallas not get a point guard that can do that

ducks
05-23-2007, 04:32 PM
chris paul right now is not better then tp
latter maybe

Findog
05-23-2007, 04:38 PM
chris paul right now is not better then tp
latter maybe

Okay. That is the definition of a blind homer. I don't care what sort of All Star game politics keep him out and Parker in, he's better than Parker too. Not by a mile, but decisively better.

ChumpDumper
05-23-2007, 04:39 PM
Look at the players that Paul plays with and look at the Players Parker plays with, there is no comparsion. WHat do you think Paul could do with players like Manu, Duncan, Finley and Barry!I think he wold score and assist less in the Spurs' system with Spurs' players.

picnroll
05-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Parker can drive either direction and finish with either hand. Parker has remarkbale footwork in the paint where he can get off a shot over/around even an accomplished shot blocker. Parker has an actual feel for the game, pace, involves other players. Parker can stay in front of virtually anyone. He can be body bumped or forearm off a player to clear spae but he stays in front of them into the paint where it's help defenses turn. Parker is also tenacious and on swtiches where he's stuck on a big he wins the battle more often than not. And unlike Harris his outside shot has shown considerable improvement.

Right now there is talk of whether Dallas should bother keeping Harris, is he ever going to pan out as their PG. Any talk like that from the Spurs? Comparing Harris to Parker is ridiculous.

ChumpDumper
05-23-2007, 04:42 PM
He might score less, but he would have more assists. He could he average less assists with the Spurs having better scorers than the Hornets?Obviously yes, since the offense runs through Duncan.

Findog
05-23-2007, 04:47 PM
Right now there is talk of whether Dallas should bothe keeping Harris, is he ever going to pan out as their PG. Any talk like that from the Spurs. Comparing Harris to Parker is ridiculous.

Their games are similar but Parker is what Harris should hope to be someday. Only comparison I'm making is that Harris' skillset and style of play reminds me of Parker. Of course I think Parker is better than him now.

And I remember quite a bit of dissatisfaction on the part of fans and the team regarding Parker. They won a title with Parker and still wanted to give Kidd a max deal. I'll give him credit, he has shored up a lot of his weaknesses and he's no longer inconsistent in his play. Harris is simply at an earlier point in his career.

ChumpDumper
05-23-2007, 04:51 PM
The ball doesn't go to Duncan on every single play in the game.More than it does all the big men in New Orleans put together.
Chris Paul loves to drive and kick to the open teammates. Parker had 14 assists because he found the open man. If he can do that consistently then he will be a true point guard.He was being doubled off picks last night, so there was an open man. If he's doubled off picks consistently there will be more open men.

ChumpDumper
05-23-2007, 04:53 PM
It's funny coming on here...one minute people want to trade Manu because he has a bad series and say he sucks!; next minute everyone thinks TP is the best point guard in the Nba. Let's be objective here!Who wants to trade Manu during the playoffs?

TP is definintely on of the most complete points out there as was stated. It's not his fault he's playing with THE best power forward to play the game.

picnroll
05-23-2007, 04:55 PM
Harris has stalled, one ofthe reasons Dallas is questioning whether he's the man. Parker progressed every year and is still progressing.

I don't know whos better, Parker, Paul, Williams. I know their all great and dangerous. But one thing that's differnt for Parker is he doesn't have the ball in his hands 75% of the time like Paul, Williams, Nash, Kidd, and not necessarily because he's not capable. It's because Pop likes a multi-pronged attack, sometimes with ball movement, sometimes going to Duncan to make something happen, Sometimes Manu and somtimes Parker. Spurs have one of te most versatile, unpredicatable, complete offenses in the league, maybe the most (sure is boring). And that's by design, teams can't focus on one or two areas like the Spurs can against most other teams like the Suns, Lakers, Jazz.

timvp
05-23-2007, 05:02 PM
Harris has stalled, one ofthe reasons Dallas is questioning whether he's the man. Parker progressed every year and is still progressing.

I don't know whos better, Parker, Paul, Williams. I know their all great and dangerous. But one thing that's differnt for Parker is he doesn't have the ball in his hands 75% of the time like Paul, Williams, Nash, Kidd, and not necessarily because he's not capable. It's because Pop likes a multi-pronged attack, sometimes with ball movement, sometimes going to Duncan to make something happen, Sometimes Manu and somtimes Parker. Spurs have one of te most versatile, unpredicatable, complete offenses in the league, maybe the most (sure is boring). And that's by design, teams can't focus on one or two areas like the Spurs can against most other teams like the Suns, Lakers, Jazz.

Yeah, Parker is a good fit for Spurs. In this offense, they need a point who can score and be effective without the ball. On top of that you have to play defense and not mind getting yelled at until you master it all. Point guards with those qualities are a rare breed.

Without looking at it at a Spurs point of view, you can say Paul, Williams, Nash, Kidd, etc. are better. But when you think how they'd fit in under Pop and in this system, that's a different story.

ChumpDumper
05-23-2007, 05:03 PM
So the reason that Tony doesn't average 9 assists is because the ball goes into him most of the game?It's certainly a factor. Why would it not be?
It has nothing to do with the fact the Tony is a scoring guard. He admits he would rather shoot than pass.He is told to shoot rather than pass by Pop as well, and Pop designed the offense to go through Duncan.
And you believe that most teams play don't double Duncan when they have a chance?Please rephrase that so we can understand what you are trying to say.
When Manu had the bad series against Denver and those couple of bad games against the Suns, a lot of idiots on here wanted him traded or benched!There are idiots everywhere.

timvp
05-23-2007, 05:03 PM
So the reason that Tony doesn't average 9 assists is because the ball goes into him most of the game? It has nothing to do with the fact the Tony is a scoring guard. He admits he would rather shoot than pass. And you believe that most teams play don't double Duncan when they have a chance?

What does double Duncan and Parker's assists have to do with each other?

When Manu had the bad series against Denver and those couple of bad games against the Suns, a lot of idiots on here wanted him traded or benched!

What does Manu have to do with a Parker conversation?

whottt
05-23-2007, 05:09 PM
This team isn't built around Parker...

Say what you want, but the Spurs are a much better team than the Hornets...and Parker is part of the reason for that.

I mean we added him in 2001 and it's been an upgrade since day 1...an upgrade to a championship team.

If Parker were the best player on his team and it was built around him, he'd have much better numbers.

Duncan has literally nothing to do with Parker's FG%...that's all Parker, that's his skill.

This Spurs team is built around Duncan and Manu primarily...Parker knows this, and accepts this is not his time(a huge intangible with Parker that a lot of players, especially PG's lack).

The way that Tim Duncan helps Parker is...

A. Championships.
B. Helps his D in the paint.
C. Leadership by example, not by mouth.

Duncan does little or nothing to boost Parker's individual numbers...numbers not backed by wins does not impress me. I don't care how spectacular they are.

A dude leading the NBA in scoring for a last place team means shit...

A dude scoring 28ppg for a champion means much more.

Parker is under-rated...but that's ok, he's so much younger than Duncan and Manu his time will come...he'll have his monster seasons, but he like us, knows that the titles probably won't be coming every year when it does happen...nontheless...smart hoops fan knows Parker is an extremely efficient basketball player...who gets better every year.

I'd say Parker has the most potential because he's the one that consistently shows the ability to improve weaker aspects of his game. Potential does squat if he can't reach it....just because Parker can and has started to reach it, doesn't mean he's got less of it to reach.

sabar
05-23-2007, 05:11 PM
Williams is more skilled, but the fact that Parker plays good defense puts him on top. I'd take Parker over anyone aside from Kidd on the Spurs.

ChumpDumper
05-23-2007, 05:14 PM
People think that since the Ball goes into Duncan a lot that hurts Parkers Assist ratio.Duncan's dribbling the ball after he gets a pass hurts everyone else's assist numbers. Bruce Bowen would probably lead the team in assists if Duncan went straight into every shot from the post.

ploto
05-23-2007, 05:15 PM
Since Parker is easily the better defender, he's probably the better player right this moment. But it's tough to compare the Spurs apple to the Jazz orange.
Williams in his second year is better, in my view, than Parker in his second year. I think he makes better decisions than Parker did at that stage.

timvp
05-23-2007, 05:15 PM
People think that since the Ball goes into Duncan a lot that hurts Parkers Assist ratio.

It does because you don't get an assist for passing the ball into the post.

I brought Manu in the conversation saying some people should just be objective: meaning some people one minute want say Manu is finished because of a bad series and then the next minute annoint Parker as the best point guard!

I don't see many of those Trade Manu posters in this thread.

whottt
05-23-2007, 05:16 PM
Oh and Chris Paul appears to be an excellent PG...but I think his numbers would drop if he was on the same team with Manu and especially Tim. I think Parker's numbers would go up on the Hornets. And I think his shooting PCT would be almost as good as it is now....

Duncan aint the reason Parker has that tear drop, one of the best finishing moves in the NBA.

picnroll
05-23-2007, 05:16 PM
Look at the players that Paul plays with and look at the Players Parker plays with, there is no comparsion. WHat do you think Paul could do with players like Manu, Duncan, Finley and Barry!
Have the ball in his hands about one half as often at best. Duncan is primarily a ball in the hands player and Manu s most effetive creating as well though he can also spot up shoot.

timvp
05-23-2007, 05:17 PM
Williams in his second year is better, in my view, than Parker in his second year. I think he makes better decisions than Parker did at that stage.

A) Williams is two years older than Parker was his second year.

B) The Spurs won a championship in Parker's second year, so he must have done something right along the way.

ploto
05-23-2007, 05:20 PM
The Spurs won a championship in Parker's second year, so he must have done something right along the way.
I seem to recall Speedy bailing Tony out in the Finals and the Spurs going after Jason Kidd...

implacable44
05-23-2007, 05:21 PM

I would like to go on record saying that no way -- no how will dude finish his career with 20 and 10 averages -- no way.

timvp
05-23-2007, 05:21 PM
I seem to recall Speedy bailing Tony out in the Finals and the Spurs going after Jason Kidd...

Yeah because the other 99 games didn't mean anything...

picnroll
05-23-2007, 05:22 PM
Waiting for ploto to say something positive about the Spurs since loverboy was shitcanned North.

ChumpDumper
05-23-2007, 05:25 PM
I seem to recall Speedy bailing Tony out in the FinalsI remember the Nets putting a bigger defender on Parker and Speedy destroying Kidd as badly as Parker had because the Nets didn't bother to keep switching.

implacable44
05-23-2007, 05:28 PM
I remember the Nets putting a bigger defender on Parker and Speedy destroying Kidd as badly as Parker had because the Nets didn't bother to keep switching.

i don't remember that. I remember Parker getting used every year in the playoffs and Pop resorting to the back up PG to save the day -- Beno -- Speedy - Steve Kerr.

ChumpDumper
05-23-2007, 05:31 PM
i don't remember that.What can I say? That's what happened against the Nets. If you had actually watched the games you'd know.

Well-coached and disciplined teams could shut down the lane on Parker in the past, but his jump shot has improved to where that is much less of a factor.

implacable44
05-23-2007, 05:36 PM
so that is what happened according to the chumpster ? What difference does a bigger defender make ? What about all the other years -- what happened ? Like when the Lakers put him on his ass and he disappeared in 2004? or the pistons in 2005 ?

or is he only good when he is playing against someone his size or smaller?

ChumpDumper
05-23-2007, 05:38 PM
What difference does a bigger defender make ?None at all.

Sincerely,

Every point guard ever covered by Bruce Bowen

What about all the other years -- what happened ? Like when the Lakers put him on his ass and he disappeared in 2004? or the pistons in 2005 ?

Already answered.

You're welcome.

If you ever want to know anything more about the San Antonio Spurs, just ask. I watch the games and can be a tremendous help to you.

implacable44
05-23-2007, 05:42 PM
so the jazz are not well coached since he is getting into the lane ?

every pg in the league ?? I beg to differ.

The Lakers didn't put a bigger player on him -- they just knocked him on his ass.

timvp
05-23-2007, 05:46 PM
So now it's Parker's fault that the three-point shooting dried up against the Lakers? And what he do wrong against the Pistons in 2005? And when did Beno bail him out? I must have missed a couple Spurs games.

ChumpDumper
05-23-2007, 05:47 PM
so the jazz are not well coached since he is getting into the lane ?We are shooting 55% from the floor against them. And I did already cite his improved jump shot.

every pg in the league ?? I beg to differ.Hey, if you aren't going to use the whole quote, don't use any of it.

The Lakers didn't put a bigger player on him -- they just knocked him on his ass.They packed the lane with a very disciplined defense. You would have seen that had you watched the games.

Thanks for your questions. You must feel much better informed now!

picnroll
05-23-2007, 05:48 PM
so that is what happened according to the chumpster ? What difference does a bigger defender make ? What about all the other years -- what happened ? Like when the Lakers put him on his ass and he disappeared in 2004? or the pistons in 2005 ?

or is he only good when he is playing against someone his size or smaller?

In game four theLakers packed the paint and collapse on Parker when he penetrated taking away his passing angles. He adjusted and did a fine job in game five by not penetrating quite so far and had pasasing angles, kicked the ball to open shooters who proceded to clank shots.

implacable44
05-23-2007, 05:49 PM
So now it's Parker's fault that the three-point shooting dried up against the Lakers? And what he do wrong against the Pistons in 2005? And when did Beno bail him out? I must have missed a couple Spurs games.

oh so that wasn't beno on the floor against the Pistons in the finals in 2005? They just bleached Parker ?

it was his fault he couldn't hit anything - dribbles too much and turned it over.

longrod
05-23-2007, 05:52 PM
Parker is indeed a star. I really wanted them to get Kidd in SATX but now I'm glad they didn't. I'm also glad that I'm no part of the Spurs organization. They obviously knew (again) exactly what they were doing.

timvp
05-23-2007, 05:57 PM
oh so that wasn't beno on the floor against the Pistons in the finals in 2005? They just bleached Parker ?

it was his fault he couldn't hit anything - dribbles too much and turned it over.

Parker is supposed to play all 48? WTF are you talking about?

Beno played until Lindsey Hunter took his manhood.

Did you watch a game of that series?

implacable44
05-23-2007, 06:00 PM
We are shooting 55% from the floor against them. And I did already cite his improved jump shot.

Hey, if you aren't going to use the whole quote, don't use any of it.

They packed the lane with a very disciplined defense. You would have seen that had you watched the games.

Thanks for your questions. You must feel much better informed now!

no actually i feel less intelligent for having this conversation with you. My basketball IQ has suffered considerably.

timvp
05-23-2007, 06:02 PM
no actually i feel less intelligent for having this conversation with you. My basketball IQ has suffered considerably.

You might want to seek a refund on that IQ of yours if you it is telling you that Beno was a key for the Spurs against the Pistons in '05.

ChumpDumper
05-23-2007, 06:03 PM
I learned that you never watched a Spurs playoff game.

implacable44
05-23-2007, 06:08 PM
You might want to seek a refund on that IQ of yours if you it is telling you that Beno was a key for the Spurs against the Pistons in '05.

I didnt say beno was key -- I said he was on the floor in the 4th because parker was shit.

implacable44
05-23-2007, 06:11 PM
I learned that you never watched a Spurs playoff game.

oh i watch too many of them - -watch parker dribble and dribble and dribble some more.

picnroll
05-23-2007, 06:12 PM
Does IceColdBrewski have another users name?

timvp
05-23-2007, 06:16 PM
I didnt say beno was key -- I said he was on the floor in the 4th because parker was shit.

:lol

In which games did this happen? You do know Beno didn't even play in three of the games, right?

picnroll
05-23-2007, 06:21 PM
Parker's defense on Hamilton at the end actually was a key play in the championship.

ChumpDumper
05-23-2007, 06:28 PM
That was Beno!

whottt
05-23-2007, 06:30 PM
:lol

In which games did this happen? You do know Beno didn't even play in three of the games, right?

And that's not including the one game where he kept turning it over every time Hunter pressed him...I don't think he played but like 2 posessions that game.

ginobili fan
05-23-2007, 06:41 PM
Actually I prefer to watch this serie ends before making a statement, but honestly, deron's numbers right now are maybe impressive but when you see the 2 games they're useless(almost bullshit or illusion) and deron doesn't implicate much his teammates like tony does.
So for me Parker is a better PG, no doubt.
But I agree Deron is a better shooter(not a better scorer).That's all.

Testing
05-24-2007, 10:01 AM
It's hard to find a point guard with such a great inside game like Parker, that's rare. Shooters will always have off nights, but if you have a guy who can take it to the rack, draw defenses inside, and knows how to pass...that's pretty rare.

Testing
05-24-2007, 10:02 AM
Deron Williams, Jason Kidd, Chris Paul are great pg's....but they aren't going to draw double/triple defenders on them. Parker will...and most teams in the Nba would rather have that. Ask Kobe and the Lakers or Lebron and the Cavs or any other team with one superstar

Oh, Gee!!
05-24-2007, 10:04 AM
Trade BENO for Williams.

samikeyp
05-24-2007, 10:11 AM

So someone who believes Parker is a homer who can't be objective but because you pick Williams over Parker, that automatically makes you objective?

Corn on the Colb
05-24-2007, 11:05 AM
Williams > Paul > Parker.

SpursIndonesia
05-24-2007, 11:25 AM
IMHO, the only thing that prevents Tony from becoming an undisputed top PG of the league right now is his inconsistent outside (midrange) shooting & lack of 3 pts range. Ofcourse he's not a true pass first PG, but since he has the capability of scoring while being efficient in doing it, he doesn't have to be.

Heck, he doesn't even have to master both consistent midrange & 3 pts range, getting just one of them will make him a much more potent player than what he is right now. And while he might never be a passer in the class of Stockton, Kidd, or Nash, but given the right situation & environment, his assist AVG has still more room to grow. We know that once upon a time Steve Francis averaging more assist per game than Tony. ;)

Testing
05-24-2007, 12:02 PM
Every shooter in the league has an inconsistent midrange and 3 point shot...I don't understand this explanation.

For better or worse, Parker shoots 50+% from the field, whatever way he shoots it while averaging 18 ppg. Who cares if its a midrange shot or layup? It's a high % shot either way......

picnroll
05-24-2007, 12:21 PM
When you look at Parker and Williams shooting they bothh are about the same from the top and left and right of the key. Williams is much better from left and right baseline. Parker improved his shooting from the top of the key from '05 and fell off an equal amount from left and right baseline which is olkay because he takes and should take more shots from the top of the key. Parker has a significantly higher 3 point FG% from above the arc in his limited tries and he shot far more at the basket at a substantially better average than William .630 to .524.

I thinkwith some hard work this summer we'll be seeing more 3s from Parker outside the top of the key.