PDA

View Full Version : Eight Players Added to USA Basketball Team

Kori Ellis
05-23-2007, 12:44 PM
LAS VEGAS, Nev. (May 23, 2007) -- Selecting a dynamic mix of established veterans and remarkable young talent, USA Basketball announced today the addition of eight players to the USA Basketball Men’s Senior National Team program.

USA Basketball Men’s Senior National Team Managing Director Jerry Colangelo officially announced Wednesday in Las Vegas, Nev., the addition of Carlos Boozer (Utah Jazz); Tyson Chandler (New Orleans Hornets); Kevin Durant (University of Texas); Jason Kidd (New Jersey Nets); Mike Miller (Memphis Grizzlies); Greg Oden (Ohio State University); Tayshaun Prince (Detroit Pistons); and Deron Williams (Utah Jazz) to the Senior National Team roster.

Colangelo also confirmed that seven USA Senior National Team players would be unavailable to compete this summer because of injuries. Those players included Gilbert Arenas (Washington Wizards); Joe Johnson (Atlanta Hawks); Brad Miller (Sacramento Kings); Lamar Odom (Los Angeles Lakers); Chris Paul (New Orleans Hornets); Paul Pierce (Boston Celtics) and Dwyane Wade (Miami Heat).

"One of the reasons for forming and selecting a national team is so you have flexibility. It takes into account the fact that you may have injuries, there may be special circumstances where a player can’t perform, but yet you have other players to pull from," explained Colangelo.

"After the recent meeting our coaches had in Phoenix, we decided to add a couple of bigs, in particular for their rebounding and shot blocking abilities. We also decided to add some leadership in the back court and some shooters. We also recognized several players who had outstanding seasons and who we felt were deserving of this opportunity.

"Greg Oden and Kevin Durant represent the class of this season’s college ranks and are certainly players we have great interest in, both for the present and for future USA Basketball teams," said Colangelo.

"As I said when we announced the first group of players for the Senior National Team, we’re not trying to put a collection of all-stars together but our goal is to put together as good of a basketball team as we possibly can. With the addition of these nine players, I believe we’ve strengthen our program in several areas, especially rebounding, defense and shooting,"said USA and Duke University head coach Mike Krzyzewski.

The eight announced players will join 17 players previously named to the USA Basketball Senior National Team and who are expected to participate in 2007. Those USA players include: Carmelo Anthony (Denver Nuggets); Shane Battier (Houston Rockets); Chauncey Billups (Detroit Pistons); Chris Bosh (Toronto Raptors); Bruce Bowen (San Antonio Spurs); Elton Brand (Los Angeles Clippers); Kobe Bryant (Los Angeles Lakers); Kirk Hinrich (Chicago Bulls); Dwight Howard (Orlando Magic); LeBron James (Cleveland Cavaliers); Antawn Jamison (Washington Wizards); Shawn Marion (Phoenix Suns); Adam Morrison (Charlotte Bobcats); Michael Redd (Milwaukee Bucks); J.J. Redick (Orlando Magic); Luke Ridnour (Seattle SuperSonics); and Amaré Stoudemire (Phoenix Suns).

Krzyzewski is leading the USA Senior Team for 2006-2008, while Syracuse University (N.Y.) and Hall of Fame coach Jim Boeheim, Phoenix Suns head mentor Mike D’Antoni and Portland Trail Blazers head coach Nate McMillan will serve as assistant coaches.

GrandeDavid
05-23-2007, 12:46 PM
I'm glad Bruce is sitting it out, not that he would have been guaranteed a spot. Team USA's loss (Greece). :lol

mardigan
05-23-2007, 12:48 PM
Those are some good additions

Dave McNulla
05-23-2007, 01:19 PM
I'm glad Bruce is sitting it out, not that he would have been guaranteed a spot. Team USA's loss (Greece). :lol
it doesn't say he's sitting out. he didn't make the final squad last time. that's different.

The eight announced players will join 17 players previously named to the USA Basketball Senior National Team and who are expected to participate in 2007. Those USA players include: Carmelo Anthony (Denver Nuggets); Shane Battier (Houston Rockets); Chauncey Billups (Detroit Pistons); Chris Bosh (Toronto Raptors); Bruce Bowen (San Antonio Spurs); Elton Brand (Los Angeles Clippers); Kobe Bryant (Los Angeles Lakers); Kirk Hinrich (Chicago Bulls); Dwight Howard (Orlando Magic); LeBron James (Cleveland Cavaliers); Antawn Jamison (Washington Wizards); Shawn Marion (Phoenix Suns); Adam Morrison (Charlotte Bobcats); Michael Redd (Milwaukee Bucks); J.J. Redick (Orlando Magic); Luke Ridnour (Seattle SuperSonics); and Amaré Stoudemire (Phoenix Suns).

timvp
05-23-2007, 01:22 PM
Mike Miller? Is the US trying to lose?

ATRAIN
05-23-2007, 01:24 PM
WOW thats not who I would have picked.

violentkitten
05-23-2007, 02:41 PM
well at least we dont take this shit seriously anymore.

texasqb2
05-23-2007, 02:52 PM
Bruce already said he will be sitting out...his wife is expecting this summer

GrandeDavid
05-23-2007, 03:09 PM
it doesn't say he's sitting out. he didn't make the final squad last time. that's different.

I read today that he has declined an invitation to try out or something. Same thing. No need to make a word play. Bottom line is he is not making himself available to the team whether they want him or not.

Assman
05-23-2007, 04:32 PM
Mike Miller and Tyson Chandler? Did someone lose a bet?

sabar
05-23-2007, 05:00 PM
Adam Morrison...Mike Miller...

How has our national team has fallen so far?

Mr. Body
05-23-2007, 05:01 PM
Miller jumped out at me. Why him? Isn't he a bottom half of the league player by now?

JamStone
05-23-2007, 05:12 PM
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/mike_miller/career_stats.html

18.5 ppg
5.4 rpg
4.3 apg
.460 FG
.406 3PT

He played for a horrible team, so maybe his numbers are better than they would be on a winning team. But, alternatively, being one of the few good players on the Grizzlies, he probably was given more attention than other teams and he still shot 40% from 3 point range. They obviously invited him for his shooting and his versatility. He's actually not a horrible defender. Not great, but not a liability like Ben Gordon or Mike Dunleavy.

Girasuck
05-23-2007, 05:17 PM
I really wish Booz and DWill would sit out as well. Given Boozer's injury problems, and just the fact that I'd like to see them rest over the summer, I don't like the additions.

timvp
05-23-2007, 05:19 PM
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/mike_miller/career_stats.html

18.5 ppg
5.4 rpg
4.3 apg
.460 FG
.406 3PT

He played for a horrible team, so maybe his numbers are better than they would be on a winning team. But, alternatively, being one of the few good players on the Grizzlies, he probably was given more attention than other teams and he still shot 40% from 3 point range. They obviously invited him for his shooting and his versatility. He's actually not a horrible defender. Not great, but not a liability like Ben Gordon or Mike Dunleavy.

Someone should have let Team USA in on the fact that Mike Miller was bottom five in the league in plus/minus.

ggoose25
05-23-2007, 05:26 PM
Coach K better step up and do some coaching. Last year he sucked balls for Team USA and for Duke

exstatic
05-23-2007, 06:28 PM
Mike Miller? Is the US trying to lose?
Well, they hired the whole fucking Phoenix organization, so I'd have to say 'yes'.

Dave McNulla
05-23-2007, 10:04 PM
I read today that he has declined an invitation to try out or something. Same thing. No need to make a word play. Bottom line is he is not making himself available to the team whether they want him or not.
i didn't see or hear anything about that, just the article that added 8 players.

Darkwaters
05-23-2007, 10:09 PM
Mike Miller and Tyson Chandler? Did someone lose a bet?

Tyson Chandler had a beast of a season this year. He looked great.

flipcritic
05-23-2007, 10:50 PM
Damn. Aside from Jason Kidd, I wouldn't have picked any of these guys (I'll wait and see how Oden and Durant turn out thank you). Playing for the US team isn't what it used to be (not a criticism, just an observation).

gus
05-24-2007, 10:40 AM
It is enough to kick our Argentinean ass because we are playing without our NBA players.

Gus