PDA

View Full Version : Zach Randolph Trade Options?

ajh18
05-23-2007, 01:08 PM
If the Blazers draft Oden, and decide they then want to move Randolph for a small forward (since Miles ain't going to cut it), what options might they have in terms of making a trade that benefits both teams?

Perhaps:

to New Jersey for Richard Jefferson?
to Washington for Jamison?
to Seattle in a sign-and-trade for Lewis?

Any other ideas? thoughts?

monosylab1k
05-23-2007, 01:10 PM
to Dallas for Josh Howard? I know this sounds like blasphemy....but you've gotta give up something to get something....and Randolph has skills that we need....not saying to do it...but can this be considered?

Trainwreck2100
05-23-2007, 01:11 PM
terry

mardigan
05-23-2007, 01:12 PM
to Dallas for Josh Howard? I know this sounds like blasphemy....but you've gotta give up something to get something....and Randolph has skills that we need....not saying to do it...but can this be considered?
The only one Ive heard so far is a sign and trade for Rashard Lewis. i also heard that the Mavs are intrested in a sign and trade for Lewis for Terry

Sec24Row7
05-23-2007, 01:13 PM
Oh god... please let Dallas get Lewis and Trade Josh Howard...

PLEASE...

Stupidest Idea EVER....

Howard was the only player on the floor for the Mavericks that wasn't afraid of the Warriors...

monosylab1k
05-23-2007, 01:15 PM
Oh god... please let Dallas get Lewis and Trade Josh Howard...

PLEASE...

Stupidest Idea EVER....

Howard was the only player on the floor for the Mavericks that wasn't afraid of the Warriors...

who suggested that?

this is a ZACH RANDOLPH trade thread.

And Howard played with the same collective vagina as every other Mav against GS...not sure what you were watching. Stackhouse and Croshere were the only guys who had any balls out there at all.

resistanze
05-23-2007, 01:38 PM
Maybe the Wizards can give up Caron and one of their stiff centers (Haywood) for Randolph.

LEONARD
05-23-2007, 01:42 PM
I'd love to see Avery get ahold of Zach...

JamStone
05-23-2007, 01:44 PM
no team that it would make sense to trade for zach would want him.

mardigan
05-23-2007, 01:44 PM
Its going to be hard to move Randolph with that contract

AFBlue
05-23-2007, 02:02 PM
I honestly don't understand the insistence to trade Zach Randolph. He seemed to behave himself and at the least avoid being a detractor in that clubhouse....all while putting up 20/10 games left and right. Because of the perceived image problems and his lack of athleticism, he's a guy with a guaranteed negative return on investment...he'll give you far more on your team than anything you could get for him.

For now, I say the Blazers should keep him as their primary offensive weapon in the post, and let Greg Oden mature into the all-around player.

At the point when it's clear Greg Oden has surpassed Randolph on offense, then you look to trade....but to give away one of 4 or 5 guys in the league who averaged 20 and 10 last year for a one-dimensional, shot-happy SF like Rashard Lewis would be stupid in my opinion.

JamStone
05-23-2007, 02:11 PM
This year, Zach took a leave of absence from the team for a few games for personal reasons that were explained as having to attend the funeral of either a family member or close friend of the families. Then there were news reports of him partying at strip clubs while his team was playing regular season games.

Then you add his other history of team disciplinary problems, his fluctuating weight/conditioning problems, and his huge contract, and you have a player that is tough to move.

Perhaps Sacramento will take him if Portland takes Ron Artest back in return. Otherwise, I'm not so sure too many teams want to have to deal with Zach. It would have made sense for the Pacers to pursue him to help JO especially since Zach is from Indiana, but after the Pacers dumped all the problem players this season in that trade, I doubt they would pursue another one. Memphis might take a look at trading for him to help Pau Gasol, but again, that franchise dealt away guys like Bonzi and Jason Williams because they were lockerroom cancers or distractions. Not sure they want him and his baggage. I don't know what team would give up anything of real value to take on Zach and all his problems and his contract.

mardigan
05-23-2007, 02:16 PM
I could see Miami, Houston, Orlando, Washington, and Chicago all being intrested bringing in Randolph, just going to be hard to match up that salary

ducks
05-23-2007, 02:18 PM
bulls would be stupid to get zach

Findog
05-23-2007, 02:18 PM

NO NO NO NO NO NO. Randolph would be perfect if A) he wasn't owed $60 million over the next four years and B) he wasn't an uncoachable fuckhead. I'd give them Terry and if they balked, tell them to eat it.

AFBlue
05-23-2007, 02:31 PM
I could see Miami, Houston, Orlando, Washington, and Chicago all being intrested bringing in Randolph, just going to be hard to match up that salary

I would add Cleveland because they lack an interior presence and might be looking to make changes if they get bounced again this year. Again though, it comes down to salary...

Bruno
05-23-2007, 02:55 PM
Keeping Randolph is maybe the best thing to do for Portland. With his contract, his reputation, his knee surgery, his trade value isn't that high.
A Randolph/Aldridge/Oden rotation at PF/C is nasty.

AFBlue
05-23-2007, 03:00 PM
Keeping Randolph is maybe the best thing to do for Portland. With his contract, his reputation, his knee surgery, his trade value isn't that high.
A Randolph/Aldridge/Oden rotation at PF/C is nasty.

Randolph/Aldridge/Oden

Paint Offense/Perimeter Offense/Lockdown Defense

Sick...especially since the middle guy isn't a defensive slouch either.

Dirk Nowitzki
05-23-2007, 03:09 PM
I am all for Josh Howard and Devon's expiring contract to land Zach! Dirk can slide back to the 3 move Zach to the 4 and keep Diop/Damp at the 5. Mavs really could use an inside scorer and Dirk is a natural SF. Do it Cuban!! :clap :clap

mavsfan1000
05-23-2007, 03:11 PM
I am all for Josh Howard and Devon's expiring contract to land Zach! Dirk can slide back to the 3 move Zach to the 4 and keep Diop/Damp at the 5. Mavs really could use an inside scorer and Dirk is a natural SF. Do it Cuban!! :clap :clap
Yeah he looked really natural guarding Stephen Jackson :rolleyes Dirk is a PF only. He gets beat up at the 5 position and he is too slow to guard 3's.

dallasmavsnfuego214
05-23-2007, 03:13 PM
i would take the chance for Randolph if we could give up Terry (and George although im not sure if Portland wants him). we have to keep Howard, only guy in the league i'd trade him for is KG. (realistic trades)

Dirk Nowitzki
05-23-2007, 03:26 PM
Yeah he looked really natural guarding Stephen Jackson :rolleyes Dirk is a PF only. He gets beat up at the 5 position and he is too slow to guard 3's.

Well sadly we have to do something. WE NEED AN INSIDE FORCE BADLY! This team wont win shit without a consistent low post scorer. Dirk is a shitty defender regardless of what position he plays so unless we deal him, we have to deal with that weakness of his. Howard is NOT a 2 while Terry is. Plus Howard is a vagina in the 4th but Terry has more set of balls. If we keep this team/ dont improve our paint offense, we will deal with another playoff outing.

monosylab1k
05-23-2007, 03:30 PM

Yeah cuz he's REALLY effective at guarding 4's :rolleyes

You're not getting defense either way out of Dirk. I don't know if I'm for trading Howard, but I think I'd take that risk to get a big-time post scorer like Randolph. That way, instead of demanding that Dirk play down low, he can stretch the defense like he used to be able to do.

monosylab1k
05-23-2007, 03:33 PM
Jason Terry and a bunch of spares isn't getting us Zach Randolph. I don't think Mavs fans realize that you've got to give up value to get value. A streaky shooting tweener who doesn't pass well isn't nearly as valuable to other teams as an all-around strong SF.

MrChug
05-23-2007, 03:42 PM
The only one Ive heard so far is a sign and trade for Rashard Lewis. i also heard that the Mavs are intrested in a sign and trade for Lewis for Terry

Rashard just gives you more of what you don't need. A jumpshooting big man with no post skill, and a mediocre defender. This "ajh18" really has a point. An moderately unstoppable post presence is what you need. Maybe not HIM but not a bad idea...

Findog
05-23-2007, 04:09 PM
Jason Terry and a bunch of spares isn't getting us Zach Randolph. I don't think Mavs fans realize that you've got to give up value to get value. A streaky shooting tweener who doesn't pass well isn't nearly as valuable to other teams as an all-around strong SF.

Zach Randolph's value is mitigated as well, and for good reason. I wouldn't give up Josh Howard for him, no way, no how. Part of this team's problem is X's and O's and part of it is poise/maturity. I don't see how Randolph helps with the latter.

mikejones99
05-23-2007, 05:47 PM
Amazing how many $60 million + players seem to be unwanted.

Dirk Nowitzki
05-23-2007, 06:13 PM
Zach Randolph's value is mitigated as well, and for good reason. I wouldn't give up Josh Howard for him, no way, no how. Part of this team's problem is X's and O's and part of it is poise/maturity. I don't see how Randolph helps with the latter.

:rolleyes :rolleyes A BIG part of it is lack of a low post game! Stop trying to sugercoat that. The Mavs are a fucking jumpshooting team and the lack of an inside game exposed us badly in the finals and in this years first round. We NEED a low post player in the worst way and if we have to give up Josh Howard aka a guy who does jack shit in the 4th then so be it! We cant avoid this problem anymore. We will never get anywhere close to a title if this issue isnt addressed. it is the harsh truth and you know that!

dallaskd
05-23-2007, 06:13 PM
i also heard that the Mavs are intrested in a sign and trade for Lewis for Terry

pull it.

dallaskd
05-23-2007, 06:14 PM
does anyone have any real sources?

BradLohaus
05-23-2007, 07:04 PM
Are there even five 20 and 10 guys in the league? If all I can get for one of them is Rashard Lewis then I'd just hold on to Randolph and see what happens down the road.

On the other hand, if the Sonics can turn Lewis and change into Zach Randolph, then they would have their inside(Randolph), mid-range(Durant) and outside(Ray Allen) scoring options locked up, which is what wins titles, and they could build around them in the coming years by getting a defensive minded shot-blocking center, for example.

That would be quite an off season for the Sonics. What a difference a ping-pong ball can make.

monosylab1k
05-23-2007, 09:00 PM
Mavs fans have fallen in love with a team full of chokers way too easy.

I still believe moving Dirk is a good idea. That's obviously not gonna happen. I can live with that. What I CANNOT live with is people thinking that all this team needs are a few "tweaks" and claims that 67 wins proved that this team can win it all. Bull-fucking-shit.

Like I said, you've gotta give something up to get something. We got a team full of jump shooting choir boys and it didn't work. We brought in a new coach, a new philosophy, a 70 million dollar "center", and gues what - we're still a team full of jump shooting choir boys, except now we think punching someone in the nuts passes as "toughness".

The Mavs have continually made strides in the right direction, but they aren't there yet. NOW IS NOT THE TIME TO STAND PAT. Let's not let our devotion to certain beloved players get in the way of the ultimate dream.

baseline bum
05-23-2007, 09:51 PM
Randolph is coming off a career year. His trade value will never be higher. They have to move his one-dimensional ass now.

mardigan
05-24-2007, 09:22 AM
does anyone have any real sources?
http://mavs.beloblog.com/archives/2007/05/lotterys_impact_on_mavs.html
Best I could do, Hoopshype also has some intresting articles rup

monosylab1k
05-24-2007, 09:45 AM
If the Mavs are looking to improve defensively, Lewis isn't the answer. Then again, neither is Jason Terry or Dirk or anybody that isn't Howard and Diop.

In the end the Mavs are limited in what they can do, or are willing to do. I'd do the Lewis for Terry deal (if Seattle is even interested). Also, sign Desmond Mason and just take a deep breath and put all our eggs in the "Devin Harris can be a true PG" basket and DON'T BAIL OUT AT THE FIRST SIGN OF TROUBLE....just keep him out there and let him go thru his growing pains. As great as Avery is, his two biggest flaws are overreacting at the first sign of trouble and overcoaching, and burying players in his doghouse despite everything they can do to help. If Devin Harris is supposed to be our PG, then LET HIM BE OUR POINT GUARD.

SpursIndonesia
05-24-2007, 12:28 PM
A Portland line up consisted of Jack, Roy, Howard, Aldridge, & Oden, is dynasty bound if they can stay together, develop chemistry, and are willing to work under McMillan guidance -a pretty good coach nonetheless. Jack is the glue guy, Roy is the perimeter superstar, Howard is the all around workhorse & perimeter defensive ace, Aldridge is the paint area hustler, and Oden is the Franchise bigman. What a potential.

monosylab1k
05-24-2007, 12:33 PM
On The Ticket in Dallas, they suggested a Terry/Dampier for Lewis/Watson trade. I dunno about financially, but this is definitely a win/win for both teams as far as helping them both get better.

This doesn't solve our post scoring problem, but it does help us get bigger at the guard position, and Watson is a decent PG.

SpursIndonesia
05-24-2007, 12:41 PM
On The Ticket in Dallas, they suggested a Terry/Dampier for Lewis/Watson trade. I dunno about financially, but this is definitely a win/win for both teams as far as helping them both get better.

This doesn't solve our post scoring problem, but it does help us get bigger at the guard position, and Watson is a decent PG.

IMHO, to make it a rather equal trade, Dallas must throw a 1st # pick into the mix. If not, perhaps the Sonics FO has sense Lewis intention of bolting out of that franchise in the future.

mabber
05-24-2007, 02:17 PM

I've heard JET & Damp for Lewis & Watson. Lewis would play the 3 and Howard would move down to the 2. Harris & Watson would run the point.

I'm not sure how this works in regards to money/contracts but I've heard it discussed by 2-3 different guys in the media.

It would definitely make the Mavs more athletic but it still doesn't really address their low-post scoring problem.

leemajors
05-24-2007, 02:23 PM
lewis isn't a very good rebounder, and that's the only thing dampier does well. it still does nothing to help your post offense. from what i remember lewis can play decently in the post but prefers to jack it up from outside.

mabber
05-24-2007, 02:33 PM
lewis isn't a very good rebounder, and that's the only thing dampier does well. it still does nothing to help your post offense. from what i remember lewis can play decently in the post but prefers to jack it up from outside.

I don't see this happening anyway. Just throwing out some of the Mav trade speculation by the media.

leemajors
05-24-2007, 02:44 PM
i don't see a huge market for randolph either. maybe if he was a passable defender, but that contract and his still recent microfracture recovery is still a sizeable gamble.

mardigan
05-24-2007, 03:20 PM
i don't see a huge market for randolph either. maybe if he was a passable defender, but that contract and his still recent microfracture recovery is still a sizeable gamble.
I dont know, hes still pretty damn young, hes a good post scorer and rebounder, I dont think the Mavs should try and get him, but a team like Houston or Chicago should def take a shot at him

leemajors
05-24-2007, 03:39 PM
I dont know, hes still pretty damn young, hes a good post scorer and rebounder, I dont think the Mavs should try and get him, but a team like Houston or Chicago should def take a shot at him

houston would not be able to afford him, they are either already over or damn close. chicago could probably take the hit financially, but would be hosed from then on.

LEONARD
05-24-2007, 03:44 PM
Terry / Buckner for Zach :fro

Dirk Nowitzki
05-24-2007, 03:46 PM
I would easily take a shot on Randolph. Whatever it takes, we MUST address our low post scoring issues this summer if this team wants to have a realistic chance of ever getting back to the 05-06 level pre nba finals. Josh Howard I would easily deal along with a filler to land Zach. I wouldnt trade howard for a scrub but I would give him up in a heartbeat if it meant getting Randolph. Despite my blind homerism this year, I truly feared in my gut that the lack of an inside scorer was going to kick us in the ass. Trade Howard/Devons expiring contract to land Randolph. Then deal terry/Damp for Watson/Lewis. Then use the MLE to sign Desmond Mason and resign stackhouse!

OMG Harris,Mason,Dirk,Randolph,Diop
Bench:Watson,Stack,Lewis,Pops/croshere,Mbenga,Ager and our 1st round pick! :hungry: :hungry: :hungry: :hungry: OMG that shit gives me a fucking hardon

leemajors
05-24-2007, 03:53 PM
i don't think exchanging randoplh's inside scoring for dampier's post defense is a very good trade off. dampier is way overpaid, and racks up fouls but he does rebound well, especially offensively, and is a good shotblocker. addressing one issue at the expense of another isn't necessarily a good thing.

Dirk Nowitzki
05-24-2007, 03:55 PM
i don't think exchanging randoplh's inside scoring for dampier's post defense is a very good trade off. dampier is way overpaid, and racks up fouls but he does rebound well, especially offensively, and is a good shotblocker. addressing one issue at the expense of another isn't necessarily a good thing.

We have Diop who can do the very same thing and is alot cheaper than Damp. If we can just trade Howard to land Randolph and move Dirk back to the sf position....I will be happy

monosylab1k
05-24-2007, 03:55 PM
One big problem is that getting Lewis and Randolph makes our bad defense significantly worse.

leemajors
05-24-2007, 04:02 PM
We have Diop who can do the very same thing and is alot cheaper than Damp. If we can just trade Howard to land Randolph and move Dirk back to the sf position....I will be happy

dampier is a lot stronger than diop. the two headed defensive center for the mavs isn't what i would call a problem for you guys. i don't think mbenga can step in and replace what dampier does at all.

mardigan
05-24-2007, 04:16 PM
One big problem is that getting Lewis and Randolph makes our bad defense significantly worse.
Hell, if Avery can turn Dirk into a decent defender I would think he could get Lewis and his 6-10 athletic frame to play d. Randolph on the other hand, Im not as sure. But he is damn good in the post

leemajors
05-24-2007, 04:18 PM
dirk still isn't a decent defender, he can't move laterally for shit. diop and dampier behind him mask a lot of his faults with the threat of blocked shots.

mabber
05-24-2007, 04:20 PM
dirk still isn't a decent defender, he can't move laterally for shit. diop and dampier behind him mask a lot of his faults with the threat of blocked shots.

I agree. Dirk just doesn't totally suck at defense like he used to.

AFBlue
05-24-2007, 09:00 PM
It's being reported that Oden has requested whatever team that drafts him to work to get his teammate, Mike Conley Jr. Here's a trade idea that nets the Blazers Conley and addresses the question posed in this thread...

Atlanta gives up the #3 pick, which the Blazers would use to select Conley Jr., plus Josh Childress (or Josh Smith if the Blazers don't budge), and a mid-salary guy in Speedy Claxton.

In return, Atlanta gets Zach Randolph to play F/C and provide the low-post scoring threat they DESPERATELY need. They should also get back a PG prospect in order to balance out the roster....say Jarret Jack, who played at local Georgia Tech.

I believe since Atlanta is under the salary cap it works....what do you think?

KidCongo
05-25-2007, 06:23 AM
If the Blazers draft Oden, and decide they then want to move Randolph for a small forward (since Miles ain't going to cut it), what options might they have in terms of making a trade that benefits both teams?

Perhaps:

to New Jersey for Richard Jefferson?
to Washington for Jamison?
to Seattle in a sign-and-trade for Lewis?

Any other ideas? thoughts?

I'll give up Larry Hughes for Randolph or even trade veterans Snow and Damon Jones to spread the floor for the Blazers.

mardigan
05-25-2007, 09:21 AM
It's being reported that Oden has requested whatever team that drafts him to work to get his teammate, Mike Conley Jr. Here's a trade idea that nets the Blazers Conley and addresses the question posed in this thread...

Atlanta gives up the #3 pick, which the Blazers would use to select Conley Jr., plus Josh Childress (or Josh Smith if the Blazers don't budge), and a mid-salary guy in Speedy Claxton.

In return, Atlanta gets Zach Randolph to play F/C and provide the low-post scoring threat they DESPERATELY need. They should also get back a PG prospect in order to balance out the roster....say Jarret Jack, who played at local Georgia Tech.

I believe since Atlanta is under the salary cap it works....what do you think?
I think that its ridiculous that Oden requested such a thing. As far as the trade, seems it would work

StylisticS
05-25-2007, 04:46 PM
what in the fuckin hell is the fascination of trading Howard? Seriously? Dirk will not be traded. And Howard and Harris shouldn't be traded either. The rest is up for grabs. I just get annoyed with people putting Howard's name in there when he has many more years ahead of him being a solid player.

mardigan
05-25-2007, 04:49 PM
Well, the Hawks trade does make a lot of sense. Hawks would get their point guard that thye have been after, and a low post scoring threat they really need. Seems like it would work

monosylab1k
05-26-2007, 01:17 PM
what in the fuckin hell is the fascination of trading Howard? Seriously? Dirk will not be traded. And Howard and Harris shouldn't be traded either. The rest is up for grabs. I just get annoyed with people putting Howard's name in there when he has many more years ahead of him being a solid player.

You've gotta give up value to get value. Mavs fans can't seriously think that we'll be able to get anything special with our tweener who can't play PG or SG properly or our overpaid center who can't catch the ball.

Nobody wants to trade Howard, but if you're looking to improve, he and Harris and Diop are the most valued trading chips we have. Terry and Dampier aren't.