PDA

View Full Version : Greg Oden’s Draft Stock Plummets!

StrangeCheez
05-23-2007, 03:05 PM
Greg Oden’s Draft Stock Plummets Over Reports of Osteoporosis, Alzheimer’s and Prostate Cancer

One day after the Portland Trail Blazers won the NBA draft lottery and the rights to take him with the No. 1 overall pick, Greg Oden’s draft stock has plummeted over reports that he is afflicted with an array of diseases most often found in elderly men.

Oden’s agent, Mike Conley, Sr., refused to comment directly on the report, but said his client is undergoing the usual battery of tests required of any draft prospect and that initial tests “have uncovered some unusual things.”

But while Conley, Sr. refused to offer any specifics, a league source says Oden is suffering from the early stages of osteoporosis and Alzheimer’s and is positive for prostate cancer.

“It’s sad, but it seems this 19-year-old young man has the body of someone three to four times his age,” said the league source.

Oden’s head coach at Ohio State, Thad Matta, says that while he can’t confirm the reports, he wouldn’t be surprised if they were true.

“No, I’m not surprised at all,” said Matta. “I saw all of this stuff coming. The osteoporosis? If his bones weren’t so brittle, I’m sure he never would have hurt his wrist at the beginning of the year. And the Alzheimer’s? That’s obviously why he acts so strange for someone his age. No 19-year-old kid has that many quirks about him without some sort of brain condition.”

And while Oden no longer seems to be the consensus No. 1 overall pick or even a lottery pick, NBA experts think plummeting out of the top of the draft will be beneficial for him.

“Now he can go to a team at the bottom of the draft who is already good and can use a defensive-minded shot blocker to help them win a title,” said TNT’s Steve Kerr. “Just picture him going to the Suns. He could win a title with them in the next year or two before his body completely falls apart and he dies. It would be a wonderful, if bittersweet way for him to go out.”

Link (http://www.sportspickle.com/features/volume6/2007-0523-oden.html)

cheguevara
05-23-2007, 03:06 PM
He looks older than gregg Popovich

TampaDude
05-23-2007, 03:08 PM
It's "The Onion" for sports, I see... :lol

ChumpDumper
05-23-2007, 03:09 PM
Except The Onion is funny.

MadDog73
05-23-2007, 03:10 PM
That's supposed to be funny?

EDIT: chump beat me to it.

Spurminator
05-23-2007, 03:10 PM
Except The Onion has a sports section, and it's overtaken Sports Pickle recently.

I mean, a Greg Oden is Old article? Really? Is the next article about how Rasheed Wallace gets a lot of technicals?

whottt
05-23-2007, 03:11 PM
Except The Onion is funny.

QFT

MadDog73
05-23-2007, 03:12 PM
"Greg Olden"

har-har-har

mbass
05-23-2007, 03:18 PM
Greg Oden’s Draft Stock Plummets Over Reports of Osteoporosis, Alzheimer’s and Prostate Cancer

One day after the Portland Trail Blazers won the NBA draft lottery and the rights to take him with the No. 1 overall pick, Greg Oden’s draft stock has plummeted over reports that he is afflicted with an array of diseases most often found in elderly men.

Oden’s agent, Mike Conley, Sr., refused to comment directly on the report, but said his client is undergoing the usual battery of tests required of any draft prospect and that initial tests “have uncovered some unusual things.”

But while Conley, Sr. refused to offer any specifics, a league source says Oden is suffering from the early stages of osteoporosis and Alzheimer’s and is positive for prostate cancer.

“It’s sad, but it seems this 19-year-old young man has the body of someone three to four times his age,” said the league source.

Oden’s head coach at Ohio State, Thad Matta, says that while he can’t confirm the reports, he wouldn’t be surprised if they were true.

“No, I’m not surprised at all,” said Matta. “I saw all of this stuff coming. The osteoporosis? If his bones weren’t so brittle, I’m sure he never would have hurt his wrist at the beginning of the year. And the Alzheimer’s? That’s obviously why he acts so strange for someone his age. No 19-year-old kid has that many quirks about him without some sort of brain condition.”

And while Oden no longer seems to be the consensus No. 1 overall pick or even a lottery pick, NBA experts think plummeting out of the top of the draft will be beneficial for him.

“Now he can go to a team at the bottom of the draft who is already good and can use a defensive-minded shot blocker to help them win a title,” said TNT’s Steve Kerr. “Just picture him going to the Suns. He could win a title with them in the next year or two before his body completely falls apart and he dies. It would be a wonderful, if bittersweet way for him to go out.”

spurster
05-23-2007, 03:44 PM
Maybe this is propaganda put out by the Celtics so Oden drops to 5 in the draft.

41times
05-23-2007, 03:49 PM

This actually makes sense because every time i looked a the dude i thought he looked 35-40 years old? too bad.

greywheel
05-23-2007, 03:56 PM

This was actually a pretty good jab at Kerr. Or am I reading into it and giving them too much credit.

StrangeCheez
05-23-2007, 04:17 PM
This was actually a pretty good jab at Kerr. Or am I reading into it and giving them too much credit.
I thought it was a good one too. Kerr obv Suns homer.

mbass
05-23-2007, 04:21 PM
Guess what - this is a joke.

GSH
05-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Guess what - this is a joke.

A joke. No kidding?

If it was true, no one would know about it, and the Celtics would have gotten first pick from the lottery. Remember? "What do Len Bias and a rose have in common?"..."You pick them, and three days later they die."

GSH
05-23-2007, 05:49 PM
that wasn't funny!

LOL...it's no less funny than saying Greg Olden has Alzheimer's and cancer. The "rose" joke made the rounds back then, and I'm sure it was well-worn when I heard it the first time. I was just commenting on how bad Boston's luck has been with the draft. The death of Len Bias was pretty hard to believe when it happened. The Celtics had another draft disaster within a couple of years of that incident, too. I just can't remember what it was.

coachmac87
05-23-2007, 05:54 PM
if this news is real this is tragic...how can yall make fun of somebody like that...how do u think oden feels...if this is the case then that means no more great big man

ChumpDumper
05-23-2007, 05:56 PM
if this news is real this is tragic...how can yall make fun of somebody like that...how do u think oden feels...if this is the case then that means no more great big manI really feel bad for whomever you are coaching.

coachmac87
05-23-2007, 05:59 PM
I really feel bad for whomever you are coaching.

i feel bad that ur a hawks fan :lol

whottt
05-23-2007, 06:28 PM
i feel bad that ur a hawks fan :lol

PWNT! :tu

SpurYank
05-23-2007, 07:01 PM
I don't believe any of these posts. Oden will help the Trailblazers. If not him, Durant will.

SpurYank
05-23-2007, 07:03 PM
...and it only helps make the west more interesting. The east may have the money, the stock market, Nooo York, Baaaaston, and the rest of the things that are meaningful for easterners. We in the west have the championships.

clubalien
05-23-2007, 07:32 PM
The reason why all these old guy dieases come up is because oden is a druggie and had to have someone else supply the samples so as to not get suspended by the league for drug use..

Next week ricky williams will have results showing he is pregnant

Kori Ellis
05-23-2007, 07:34 PM
People thought this article was real?

Usually I mark joke posts, so they don't fool anyone. But I thought this was obviously a joke (and dumb).

LavaLamp
05-23-2007, 07:58 PM
...and it only helps make the west more interesting. The east may have the money, the stock market, Nooo York, Baaaaston, and the rest of the things that are meaningful for easterners. We in the west have the championships.

We in the West also have the fastest growing populations, technology-driven economies, real estate markets, and right now the most competitive basketball teams. No complaints here. :)

milkyway21
05-23-2007, 11:42 PM

:wtf?? this is supposed to be a joke, right? :reading

Shaolin-Style
05-24-2007, 12:43 AM
Could have been convinced if it wasn't for the mention of "Prostate Cancer" and "Brittle Bones"