PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Tea Gardens to re open

Fat Bones
05-23-2007, 03:16 PM
Now, if we could just get the sky trams cranked up, and Playland Park rebuilt, all would as it was...

MySA link (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA052307.01B.Tea_Gardens.39a0be7.html)

Love that place. I even proposed to my wife...errrrrrrrrrrr, ex-wife there.

xrayzebra
05-23-2007, 03:28 PM
The first time I saw the Tea Gardens were so many years ago, back
in the 40's, during the second world war. My Mother, Dad, an
Uncle and Aunt and Cousin went there. It was as I remember,
a place that has always been in my mind. The plants, ponds and
everything was to me absolutely out of this world. I have been
back many times and always get a lump in my throat and
a little upset that it is nothing like I first remember. But it is
nice to sit and look over the place.

I hope they really do restore it. I would love to see it back
to it's old glory.

One thing I also remember on that trip, because we lived in
North Texas at the time, was going to a movie across the
street from the Alamo while my Mom and Aunt went shopping.
No, I don't remember what the movie was....LOL.

fraga
05-23-2007, 04:00 PM
If we're bringing back Playland, don't forget to include the "snake" in the ride...

METALMiKE
05-23-2007, 06:02 PM
I miss the Sky Trams. :cry

KEDA
05-23-2007, 10:40 PM
Johnny Blaze should be pleased with this information.

Trainwreck2100
05-23-2007, 10:47 PM
It will be destroyed by vandals within a year.

spursfan09
05-23-2007, 10:49 PM
I used to ride the sky rides all the time with grandmother.

batman2883
05-24-2007, 08:26 AM
I used to ride the sky rides all the time with grandmother.
i bet thats not all you remember doing with your grandmother

Taco
05-24-2007, 08:29 AM
http://www.sanantonio.gov/sapar/japanhis.asp?res=1024&ver=true

http://www.sanantonio.gov/sapar/images/teagarden.jpg
http://www.uthscsa.edu/csb/aboutsacon_brack.jpg
City of San Antonio
Parks & Recreation Department
Japanese Tea Garden
A History
3853 N. St. Mary's Street

In 1899, the San Antonio Water Works Company, through its president, George W. Brackenridge, donated 199 acres to the City of San Antonio for a public park. This tract comprises the largest portion of the park that today bears Brackenridge's name. After some improvements were made, the park officially opened to the public in 1901. At that time, there was still an operating rock quarry west of the park on City-owned property. The quarry had been leased by the City to stone cutters since the mid-1800s and in 1880, Alamo Portland and Roman Cement Company (later called Alamo Cement Company) began to use the quarry. When the company needed rail lines to expand production, it purchased a new site and closed its Brackenridge Park operation in 1908.

Between the quarry and San Antonio River to the east was an 11-acre tract of land owned by Mrs. Emma Koehler, widow of Pearl Brewery owner Otto Koehler. Mrs. Koehler donated this land to the City in 1915 for a public park and its location immediately adjacent to the abandoned quarry posed a challenge for City Parks Commissioner, Ray Lambert.

Lambert ultimately came up with the idea of a lily pond which eventually became the Japanese Tea Garden. With plans from his park engineer and no money, Lambert was able to construct the Garden. Between July 1917 and May 1918, Lambert used prison labor to shape the quarry into a complex that included walkways, stone arch bridges, an island and a Japanese pagoda. The garden was termed the lily pond, and local residents donated bulbs to beautify the area. Exotic plants were provided by the City nursery and the City Public Service Company donated the lighting system. The pagoda was roofed with palm leaves from trees in City parks. When completed, Lambert had spent only $7,000. In 1919, The American City magazine reported that "the city of San Antonio has recently completed a municipal lily pond and a Japanese garden which we believe are unique."

Lambert continued to improve the garden, and in 1920, at the base of the old cement kilns, a small village of houses was constructed, termed by the San Antonio Express as "another dream of the artist of the Lily Pool, Ray Lambert, Commissioner of Parks." The village was designed to be a tourist attraction for the manufacturing and sale of Mexican arts and crafts and an outdoor restaurant. It is not known how long the village operated. At the entrance to the gardens, artist Dionicio Rodriguez replicated a Japanese torii gate in his unique style of concrete construction that imitated wood.

In 1926, at the City's invitation, Kimi Eizo Jingu, a local Japanese-American artist, moved to the garden and opened the Bamboo Room, where light lunches and tea were sold. After Mr. Jingu's death in the late 1930s, his family continued to operate the tea garden until 1942, when they were evicted because of anti-Japanese sentiment during World War II. A Chinese-American family operated the facility until the early 1960s, and it was known as the Chinese Sunken Garden. In 1984, the area was rededicated as the Japanese Tea Garden in a ceremony attended by the Jingu's children and representatives of the Japanese government.

In recognition of the Tea Garden's origin as a rock quarry that played a prominent role in the development of the cement business, as well as its later redevelopment as a garden, the site is designated as a Texas Civil Engineering Landmark, a Registered Texas Historic Landmark, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Flea
05-24-2007, 08:40 AM
I have lived in San Antonio for 11 years and have never seen it but I have wanted to.

RashoFan
05-24-2007, 08:46 AM
Japanese Tea Garden GTG anyone?

Flea
05-24-2007, 08:59 AM
That would kill to birds with one stone for me, finally get to a GTG and the Japanese gardens at the same time!

Fat Bones
05-24-2007, 09:06 AM
Japanese Tea Garden GTG anyone?

In. I hope they allow fishing, we could have poi fry.

jman3000
05-24-2007, 02:51 PM
i remember a few years ago playing hide and seek at the japanese tea gardens when that big pool was all dry. good times.

Sunshine
05-24-2007, 04:03 PM
I love the Japanese Tea Gardens! I took my son there several years ago, but he doesn't remember it anymore. I sure hope they re-open it.

SpursWoman
05-24-2007, 04:32 PM
My friends and I used to get into all kinds of shit there when we were in high school. :angel

frequency
05-24-2007, 04:44 PM
about time

spursfan09
05-24-2007, 04:48 PM
i bet thats not all you remember doing with your grandmother

Um actually my grandmother passed away when I was still pretty young, so I don't have alot of memories of her. Riding the sky ride is one of the best memories from my childhood.

RashoFan
05-24-2007, 11:34 PM
That would kill to birds with one stone for me, finally get to a GTG and the Japanese gardens at the same time!
I was thinking of a picnic or a lunchtime theme for a JTG GTG. I wonder if there will be a food establishment located at JTG or if we can bring in a"picnic" lunch....