PDA

View Full Version : The Difference Between 2005 and 2007

BeerIsGood!
05-23-2007, 03:33 PM
When the playoffs began I thought that this 2007 team was not nearly as good and wasn't playing anywhere near the level of the 2005 team that won the Championship. 10 wins into the playoff picture and I have to say that I appear to be wrong about that. I think this team is better, and I have 3 main reasons:

1) TD - The difference so far is amazing. He had a great playoff run in 2005 despite the bum ankles, but the true difference is on the defensive end. He's been an absolute beast on D and hasn't looked better in a long time.

2) TP - The growth of Parker over the last two years is really showing up now. He's making plays and taking the ball to the rim, but it's his knack for knocking down the midrange jumper and free throws that's really got him far and above where he was in 2005.

3) Oberto - The way Oberto has stepped up for the playoffs is inspiring. He's the consistent playing center that the Spurs have been needing for a while. He's shown himself to be efficient on both ends of the court and is almost always in excellent defensive position.

Honorable Mention) Finley - Although he's cooled a bit on the shot since the 1st round, he's still coming through and making plays on both ends of the court. He can really be the boost the team needs if he can consistently rebound, play D, and hit the wide open shots he's getting.

The only real advantage that swings towards 2005 was the play of Manu, but he realistically can't match that kind of performance again. Luckily, with all of the other advantages this team has I don't think he needs to match, he just needs to play hard, play smart, and keep making plays.

Any other opinions?

samikeyp
05-23-2007, 03:36 PM
I would agree, although IMO, Manu of the last 4 games has looked alot like 2005 Manu.

mardigan
05-23-2007, 03:38 PM
Bowens ability to guard multiple positions has been huge. He has looked as good as he has ever been. Add to that his timely shots, and Bowen has been a huge difference for the SPurs

Phenomanul
05-23-2007, 03:38 PM
I would agree, although IMO, Manu of the last 4 games has looked alot like 2005 Manu.

:tu

Except now he has more of a propensity to turn the ball over...

I guess opposing players have figured out some of his moves....

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-23-2007, 03:41 PM
Equally impressive are the things that haven't changed in two years. Despite all the doom and gloom predictions that came every year Bowen has not turned to dust, but is instead still a legit DPOY candidate. While Horry's production isn't what it once he's shown enough flashes of his old self that I don't doubt he'll have at least one monster, game changing clutch performance in this round or (God willing) the Finals.

td4mvp21
05-23-2007, 03:44 PM
What has surprised me has been the defense. The first round defense was overall probably the best. Even though the Suns scored in the 100's, the Spurs played pretty good D, its just that the Suns' offense is so efficient and good. I've also been impressed with how good we are at controlling the tempo. We have controlled the tempo in almost every game of the playoffs.

samikeyp
05-23-2007, 03:49 PM

True although last night everyone had the turnover bug. Im not sure where some of TP's passes were supposed to go.

dbreiden83080
05-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Everything seems to be coming together at the right time for the Spurs on both ends of the floor and they are getting great stuff from players like Oberto and Finley whom none of us thought were going to be much of a factor come playoff time. They have surprised me this year. I did not think they could win the title this year with the way they were playing but i was getting mad at how so many people were ready to toss in the towel on the season over their struggles months ago. Spurs have show great resolve this year and shut a lot of doubters up. I think this year above all others will make people reevaulate the importance of the Reg season. Dallas were the best all year long and they went bye bye in round 1. Spurs struggled for a large part of the year and are looking to go back to the finals.

Kermit
05-23-2007, 03:55 PM
:tu

I guess opposing players have figured out some of his moves....
more of a propensity? he's averaging less turnovers in the playoffs this year than he did in 2005.

ese
05-23-2007, 03:58 PM
manu is playing like '05 manu with a consistent jumpshot

SAGambler
05-23-2007, 04:00 PM
I pretty much agree with the opinions above.

I also think the Spurs are very motivated and feel they should have won it all last year.

That is helping keep them in focus this year.

dbreiden83080
05-23-2007, 04:04 PM
I pretty much agree with the opinions above.

I also think the Spurs are very motivated and feel they should have won it all last year.

That is helping keep them in focus this year.

True and Duncan is playing better and better as the playoffs go on he can smell that 4th ring he knows the Spurs are just 6 wins away so he is elevating his game to new heights.

duncan228
05-23-2007, 04:07 PM
I believed in Duncan in '05 with 2 bad ankles.
I believe in him now.
He wants it, his game reflects that.
He will lead his team to their 4th Title.
And his 4th Finals MVP.

dbreiden83080
05-23-2007, 04:08 PM
I believed in Duncan in '05 with 2 bad ankles.
I believe in him now.
He wants it, his game reflects that.
He will lead his team to their 4th Title.
And his 4th Finals MVP.

Don't want to get too overconfidant now but he looks great and so do the Spurs.

duncan228
05-23-2007, 04:10 PM
Don't want to get too overconfidant now but he looks great and so do the Spurs.

Duncan's confidence gives me confidence.

I know it's far from over, things can go wrong.

But I believe.