PDA

View Full Version : Mavs Assistant Sam Vincent Will Be Bobcats New Coach

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-23-2007, 05:08 PM
Mavs' Vincent to coach Bobcats
By JEFF CAPLAN
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER
Mavericks assistant Sam Vincent will be named the new head coach of the Charlotte Bobcats, a source confirmed Wednesday.

Minor details still are being worked out, but the Bobcats are expected to hold a news conference Friday to introduce Vincent.

Vincent, 44, will replace Bernie Bickerstaff, who is remaining with the team in a front-office position. Bickerstaff met with Vincent for a second time Saturday in Dallas.

“We’re making progress and should have a little more certainty in the morning,” Bickerstaff said Wednesday.

The move is a quick ascent for Vincent, who completed his first year on Avery Johnson’s staff. He coached the Fort Worth Flyers of the NBA Development League the previous year and has extensive international head coaching experience.

He seemed to fit the mold that Michael Jordan, part-owner of the Bobcats, was seeking: a young, hard-working coach to lead a youthful and developing roster.

Jordan, a teammate of Vincent’s for two seasons with the Bulls, has been quoted as saying he was looking for the “next Avery Johnson.”

Vincent’s departure opens up one of possibly two positions on the Mavs’ staff. Lead assistant Del Harris’ contract expires this summer. He could remain with the team in another capacity, but could also draw interest from several other teams with openings.

One possibility for Harris is a lead assistant position with the Milwaukee Bucks. Harris’ son, Larry, is the team’s general manager and Del could serve as a veteran hand for first-time head coach Larry Krystkowiak, who took over in March.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/112288.html

ChumpDumper
05-23-2007, 05:20 PM
Yeah, the D-League isn't just for players.

I think Dave Joerger will be the next coach to make the jump.

CubanMustGo
05-23-2007, 10:41 PM
Never been an NBA head coach - one total year coaching experience in the NBA, of the team that had the biggest choke job in playoff history -and now he gets a head coaching job.

Meanwhile PJ Carlisimo is gathering dust. What a screw job.

timvp
05-24-2007, 01:47 AM
Don't know if I get this hiring. Vincent when he was a player didn't strike me as head coach material. And it's pretty early in the process to be settling.

Oh well, they're the Bobcats.

Kori Ellis
05-24-2007, 01:58 AM

Yes, so do I.

B and P Cats
05-24-2007, 02:45 AM
I'm mostly a reader here and don't post, but this thread I have an opinion on! I am NOT crazy about the Sam Vincent coach thing at all!! He is too "green under the gills" to be taking on an expansion team like the Bobcats. They really need a more experienced coach for this. Bickerstaff did well getting this team going and I am sorry to see him go. But, he had lots of coaching experience to fall back on. So, the team was consistantly getting better. Who knows what will happen now. I think MJ is allowing personal friendships dictate who will be coach and not who is best for the team. JMO. :sick Sick about it though.

sabar
05-24-2007, 02:55 AM
What the heck are the Bobcats doing with that franchise....

B and P Cats
05-24-2007, 03:13 AM
They were making progress. They won 33 games this year. The most of any third year franchise team ever. But, with Vincent, it will be like start over again. That will go over with the fans well (NOT!) :madrun

PM5K
05-24-2007, 06:23 AM
Interesting... I think a coach like Hubie Brown would have been better for a young group like this, I guess I just feel like this team has too much potential, and will have more experience next season and the eighth and twenty-second picks in this years draft, I think they need a better coach than this, at first glance it looks like a pretty bad move by Jordan...

CubanMustGo
05-24-2007, 02:07 PM
I think MJ is allowing personal friendships dictate who will be coach and not who is best for the team

Bingo.

BobcatsDynasty
05-24-2007, 02:08 PM
Bookmarked for when the Bobcats make the playoffs next season.

Sam Vincent is the truth. Popovich is a fluke.

PM5K
05-24-2007, 03:36 PM
Bookmarked for when the Bobcats make the playoffs next season.

Sam Vincent is the truth. Popovich is a fluke.

The Bobcats need to make the Playoffs, if they don't it's all on Vincent.

You see as a team gets better it's coach should as well, a young club starts off with a decent C level coach, then as that team gets better with pics, trades, and maturing players they move on to a B level coach that can take them to the Playoffs or father, and eventually if possible to an A level coach, but those are harder to come by...

I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

B and P Cats
05-25-2007, 02:33 AM
The Bobcats need to make the Playoffs, if they don't it's all on Vincent.

You see as a team gets better it's coach should as well, a young club starts off with a decent C level coach, then as that team gets better with pics, trades, and maturing players they move on to a B level coach that can take them to the Playoffs or father, and eventually if possible to an A level coach, but those are harder to come by...

I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

It will be on Vincent, you are right. I hope MJ too! We need that B level coach right now, not the newbie! They say they want the Bobcats in the playoffs in a year or two to bring fans back to the games. We have a bad taste in our mouths after the Hornets were taken to New Orleans from Charlotte. Fans are hesitant to get attached to the team, I think.

PM5K
05-25-2007, 12:48 PM
Not in a year or two, the Bobcats have no excuses for not making the Playoffs next season, they were only a couple spots back this season...

B and P Cats
05-26-2007, 04:36 AM
I guess we will see. At this moment, I am not putting any bets on it. But maybe this will all prove me wrong, I hope.

mavsfan1000
05-26-2007, 06:21 AM
NO!!!!!! :madrun :madrun He is the secret to the mavs system. :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss We are doomed now. :bang :bang :bang

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-26-2007, 09:52 AM
Maybe when Vincent doesn't work out Jordan can bring in Will Perdue to coach them next :lol

Poor Charlotte, they're letting MJ fuck up that franchise.

ChumpDumper
05-26-2007, 10:40 AM
I'm a little surprised Jordan didn't make a play for Larry Brown or some other Tar Heel. Vincent is a fair choice though; his teams tend to overachieve, like the Nigerian teams he coached in FIBA.

monosylab1k
05-26-2007, 01:12 PM
Funny how people bitch and bitch and bitch about retread coaches constantly getting third and fourth chances in this league....now a new guy gets a shot and this is met with, um, bitching about how a retread didn't get the job instead.

B and P Cats
05-27-2007, 12:55 AM
NO!!!!!! :madrun :madrun He is the secret to the mavs system. :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss We are doomed now. :bang :bang :bang

He must have forgotten to come to the GSW games you had in the playoffs. Didn't you tell him when they were? :dramaquee

ChumpDumper
06-22-2007, 01:56 PM
Yeah, the D-League isn't just for players.

MEMPHIS, June 22, 2007 — Memphis Grizzlies General Manager and Vice President of Basketball Operations Chris Wallace and Head Coach Marc Iavaroni announced today the hiring of Johnny Davis, Gordon Chiesa and David Joerger as assistant coaches.

http://www.nba.com/grizzlies/news/assistant_coaches_davis_chiesa_joerger-070622.html

dallasmavsnfuego214
06-22-2007, 08:43 PM
how do you follow the D-League? do you go to the games live?

ChumpDumper
06-22-2007, 08:47 PM
Yes. Also, NBAtv shows a couple of games a week and has a 30-minute weekly show about it. oursportscentral.com is a decent source for minor-league news.