PDA

View Full Version : Thank the mavs for your win last night!

The Instigator
05-23-2007, 05:09 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/052307dnspospurslede.35cd2c1.html#

so true!

SAN ANTONIO – The Mavericks have had nearly three weeks to reflect on a title run cut embarrassingly short.

It may ease the pain to know San Antonio was thinking of them last night.

OK, maybe it doesn't help. But it's as close as the Mavericks will come to making an appearance in these Western Conference finals.
Mavericks/NBA

The memory of a Game 2 loss to the Mavericks in last year's playoffs was the motivational impetus. The Spurs were determined not to repeat that mistake. The goal, in the words of Spurs guard Tony Parker, was to leave Utah with no hope.

The Jazz still have hope after its 105-96 loss. But it doesn't appear to have much optimism.

Utah was down 0-2 to open these playoffs and came back to beat Houston. The Spurs aren't Houston. The Rockets have been out of these playoffs almost as long as the Mavericks.

It won't be easy for the Spurs to win in Salt Lake City. The Jazz is undefeated in six games at home in these playoffs.

But San Antonio has three days to rest before Game 3. That's three days for this veteran group and coach Gregg Popovich to prepare for a Utah team that has been painfully overmatched in its first two games.

"I hope our players feel like they can come back," Jazz coach Jerry Sloan said. "That's the most important thing, to gain a little confidence, gain a little knowledge about how to play better and not do things that are going to hurt you every time.

"I don't think we've put together a full game where we've really laid it out there. And the second quarter has killed us, obviously."

Utah was outscored, 32-17, in the second quarter Tuesday. The Spurs have won that quarter by a total of 30 points in the first two games. Here are a few more numbers from this series the Jazz find difficult to digest.

The Spurs have averaged 106.5 points.

The Spurs have shot 54.9 percent from the field and nearly 50 percent from 3-point range. Sloan said his team is completely lost on defense, adding last night, "our big people, their heads were spinning like a top."

So how do the Mavericks fit into all this? The Spurs eliminated Phoenix in a physical six-game series on Friday, then turned around 40 hours later and used experience, grit and adrenaline to beat the Jazz in Game 1. San Antonio found itself in a similar situation last season. It beat Sacramento in a tough six-game series and came back less than 48 hours later to beat the Mavs to open that series. Dallas stormed back in Game 2 to win by 22 points and change the complexion of the series.

Parker said the Spurs had no energy in that game and gave the Mavericks the confidence they needed to win the series.

"We remember what happened last year against Dallas," Parker said heading into Game 2. "We don't want to do that again.

"I'm pretty confident with the experience we have we'll take care of business."

They did. Manu Ginobili once again sparked San Antonio's second-quarter surge, and Tim Duncan was, well, Tim Duncan, with 26 points, 14 rebounds and five blocked shots.

Parker did his part as well with 17 points and a career playoff-high 14 assists.
Spurs guard Tony Parker entered Game 2 with a mission.
AP

The Spurs even beat the Jazz on the boards, 44-35. Very few teams beat Utah on the boards, a team Popovich said has, "a natural proclivity for rebounding."

San Antonio didn't lack for energy this night. Popovich's decision to give his team Monday off – a move that incurred a $50,000 fine from the NBA because players weren't available to the media – didn't hurt.

Did the San Antonio coach consider it money well spent?

"Well, yes I do," Popovich said. "There is no way to quantify, but yes I do.

"The best part is it wasn't my money."

The money came from the pocket of owner Peter Holt.

"I don't mind," Holt said.

Maybe he should send the tip to the Mavericks

AnkleBreaker21
05-23-2007, 05:15 PM
well its not the spurs problem dallas couldnt hold up their part of the deal, fucking losers

longrod
05-23-2007, 05:18 PM
"San Antonio didn't lack for energy this night. Popovich's decision to give his team Monday off – a move that incurred a $50,000 fine from the NBA because players weren't available to the media – didn't hurt.

Maybe he should send the tip to the Mavericks"

LOFL!

ChumpDumper
05-23-2007, 05:22 PM
That would help pay Cuban's tampering fine.

IceColdBrewski
05-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Uh-oh. Mavs fans are back. Does this mean the fishing trip is over?

BreezeHillBill
05-23-2007, 06:01 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/052307dnspospurslede.35cd2c1.html#

so true!

SAN ANTONIO – The Mavericks have had nearly three weeks to reflect on a title run cut embarrassingly short.

It may ease the pain to know San Antonio was thinking of them last night.

OK, maybe it doesn't help. But it's as close as the Mavericks will come to making an appearance in these Western Conference finals.
Mavericks/NBA

The memory of a Game 2 loss to the Mavericks in last year's playoffs was the motivational impetus. The Spurs were determined not to repeat that mistake. The goal, in the words of Spurs guard Tony Parker, was to leave Utah with no hope.

The Jazz still have hope after its 105-96 loss. But it doesn't appear to have much optimism.

Utah was down 0-2 to open these playoffs and came back to beat Houston. The Spurs aren't Houston. The Rockets have been out of these playoffs almost as long as the Mavericks.

It won't be easy for the Spurs to win in Salt Lake City. The Jazz is undefeated in six games at home in these playoffs.

But San Antonio has three days to rest before Game 3. That's three days for this veteran group and coach Gregg Popovich to prepare for a Utah team that has been painfully overmatched in its first two games.

"I hope our players feel like they can come back," Jazz coach Jerry Sloan said. "That's the most important thing, to gain a little confidence, gain a little knowledge about how to play better and not do things that are going to hurt you every time.

"I don't think we've put together a full game where we've really laid it out there. And the second quarter has killed us, obviously."

Utah was outscored, 32-17, in the second quarter Tuesday. The Spurs have won that quarter by a total of 30 points in the first two games. Here are a few more numbers from this series the Jazz find difficult to digest.

The Spurs have averaged 106.5 points.

The Spurs have shot 54.9 percent from the field and nearly 50 percent from 3-point range. Sloan said his team is completely lost on defense, adding last night, "our big people, their heads were spinning like a top."

So how do the Mavericks fit into all this? The Spurs eliminated Phoenix in a physical six-game series on Friday, then turned around 40 hours later and used experience, grit and adrenaline to beat the Jazz in Game 1. San Antonio found itself in a similar situation last season. It beat Sacramento in a tough six-game series and came back less than 48 hours later to beat the Mavs to open that series. Dallas stormed back in Game 2 to win by 22 points and change the complexion of the series.

Parker said the Spurs had no energy in that game and gave the Mavericks the confidence they needed to win the series.

"We remember what happened last year against Dallas," Parker said heading into Game 2. "We don't want to do that again.

"I'm pretty confident with the experience we have we'll take care of business."

They did. Manu Ginobili once again sparked San Antonio's second-quarter surge, and Tim Duncan was, well, Tim Duncan, with 26 points, 14 rebounds and five blocked shots.

Parker did his part as well with 17 points and a career playoff-high 14 assists.
AP

The Spurs even beat the Jazz on the boards, 44-35. Very few teams beat Utah on the boards, a team Popovich said has, "a natural proclivity for rebounding."

San Antonio didn't lack for energy this night. Popovich's decision to give his team Monday off – a move that incurred a $50,000 fine from the NBA because players weren't available to the media – didn't hurt.

Maybe he should send the tip to the Mavericks
Instead of a weak attempt to take credit for Spurs success, Cubanoids should just take credit for their own prat-fall.

BreezeHillBill
05-23-2007, 06:03 PM
well its not the spurs problem dallas couldnt hold up their part of the deal, fucking losers

Let's see: Send Fin to the Mavs, send $ to the Mavs, would they maybe settle for a heart felt kiss-my-rear instead?