PDA

View Full Version : NBA too easy for Spurs since 2002-2003?

SpursDynasty
05-23-2007, 05:22 PM
That's what it seems like. In 2002-2003, SA won 60 games, were the top contender for the NBA championship and weren't really pushed to their limit in the playoffs. All series won in 6 games. Another championship to add to their '99 title.

2003-2004, the Spurs begin play without David Robinson for the first time in 14 seasons, and STILL manage to pull off 57 wins. Shows how good this team is for them to still win their usual number while missing their Hall of Fame Center and having to adjust. A late clock start giving Derek Fisher extra time get a shot off in the playoffs is what eliminated the Spurs from the playoffs this year.

2004-2005, dominant year. Duncan gets injured late in the season, and the Spurs "stumble" to 59 victories. They dethrone the NBA Champion Detroit Pistons in 7 games in the Finals for yet another championship. It's all getting routine now, isn't it?

2005-2006, the Spurs win 63 games, breeze through the regular season as usual before Manu sends his own team home in Game 7 vs. a team that eventually lost later in the playoffs. Miami gets the championship as a result
later on.

2006-2007, the "old and unathletic and declining" San Antonio Spurs "struggle" to 58 victories. After a season long of saying how Phoenix and Dallas are this and that, and San Antonio doesn't have this or that, the so-called two best teams in the NBA lose to better teams in the playoffs, while SA holds a 2-0 lead in their fifth Western Conference Finals in 9 seasons.

With the Spurs averaging 58 wins per season for the last 5 seasons, I think the Spurs and their fans have grown so accustomed to winning and seeing wins and championships, that it's all routine now, and the Spurs need to see some real competition next year. They've had no competition in these last five seasons. As I said before, the Western Conf. Finals hasn't been competitive since 2002. I thought this year's WCF would be the first competitive one since then, but I was wrong. Another one-sided series. So it's no surprise that it's already the Conf. Finals the Spurs can't sell-out a home game. It's all become routine, and for us, the playoffs don't start until the NBA Finals.

dav4463
06-04-2007, 08:52 PM
This post is OK. It doesn't need replies. It stands on it's own. Some fans ARE spoiled by all the winning. Good insight. Let's just hope the Cavs aren't this year's Miami Heat. Go Spurs Go !!!

Spurs rock
06-04-2007, 09:04 PM
If it's been too easy, the Spurs woulda won every Championship since then.

E20
06-04-2007, 09:14 PM
It's kinda ironic, because everybody expected the Spurs to barley make the playoffs in 03 and not even be a legitimate team.

BucksDynasty
06-04-2007, 10:54 PM
you could make a case that the Spurs championships in the past years have been flukes. they were eliminated by better teams in 04 and 06 and were lucky not to run into the Bucks in the Finals of 03 and 05. i mean this year was a perfect example. the Bucks swept the Spurs this year even though it shouldnt surprise anybody. they were just beating a team they were supposed to beat. the "old" and "unathletic" Bucks were doubted all season

spursfan09
06-04-2007, 11:44 PM
:lol Bucks!

SpursDynasty
06-05-2007, 08:35 AM
you could make a case that the Spurs championships in the past years have been flukes. they were eliminated by better teams in 04 and 06 and were lucky not to run into the Bucks in the Finals of 03 and 05. i mean this year was a perfect example. the Bucks swept the Spurs this year even though it shouldnt surprise anybody. they were just beating a team they were supposed to beat. the "old" and "unathletic" Bucks were doubted all season

I don't see Milwaukee in the playoffs.