PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Draft Ponderings

Solid D
05-23-2007, 06:31 PM
Barring trades next month (not a given), the San Antonio Spurs will have the following picks:

(corrected)

The man in the shadows at the Spurs' FO may end up being a critical success factor for the Spurs in the coming years. George Felton, Director of College Player Personnel.

Given, it doesn't take a genius to see that someone like an Al Thornton or Arron Afflalo would be a great talent...however it's those 2nd round picks that may be the difference in getting a key stop or running down a big rebound in future playoff games. Will this year's draft be the re-emergence of the college player in the Spurs' draft? Who's your college 2nd rounder on the rise?

http://www.draftexpress.com/headshots/jamaaltatum.jpg

ChumpDumper
05-23-2007, 06:36 PM
I thought we had

If Sun Yue is still available at 58, you pretty much have to take him. Too intriguing not to.

Despot
05-23-2007, 06:37 PM
Spurs don't get the Bulls pick.

Despot
05-23-2007, 06:38 PM
I could see the sixers or blazers trading off a pick.

Darkwaters
05-23-2007, 06:58 PM
I thought we had

If Sun Yue is still available at 58, you pretty much have to take him. Too intriguing not to.

I'm not sure. He hasn't really played against anybody...but he does have some interesting physical characteristics. Hey, it's the 58th pick, why not?

ChumpDumper
05-23-2007, 07:02 PM
Sun has point guard skills at 6'9" and can block the occasional shot -- it's a crap shoot as to whether he'll be an NBA player but that's what #58 picks are for. Might as well pick up a long small forward project.

ChumpDumper
05-23-2007, 07:09 PM
I freely admit that I am scouting Sun via YouTube and spotty ABA record-keeping, but we've drafted using less information than that in the past.

Darkwaters
05-23-2007, 07:30 PM
Sun has point guard skills at 6'9" and can block the occasional shot -- it's a crap shoot as to whether he'll be an NBA player but that's what #58 picks are for. Might as well pick up a long small forward project.

Yea, agreed. If it were the number 56 pick we'd have to get serious though. If lightning can strike twice and bring us Duncan and Robinson then Manu can strike twice at 56.

Mr. Body
05-23-2007, 07:31 PM
I don't see why this couldn't be in the Draft thread.

Darkwaters
05-23-2007, 07:32 PM
I freely admit that I am scouting Sun via YouTube and spotty ABA record-keeping, but we've drafted using less information than that in the past.

How does he look?

Darkwaters
05-23-2007, 07:33 PM

Sorry to steal your thunder.

misterx91578
05-23-2007, 07:40 PM
Al Thornton or Arron Afflalo most likly wont be there at 28

violentkitten
05-23-2007, 07:41 PM
if the spurs are lucky they pull one rotation player between #28 and 33.

if you have a couple of drinks they get a starter and a rotation player out of those two.

if you have 5 mexican martinis then they find another parker or ginobili.

once you sober up you realize they traded away the #28 to the suns who use it on a future 6th man of the year or to the mavs who use it on a future starter.

:/

Mr. Body
05-23-2007, 07:49 PM
Sorry to steal your thunder.

Especially when the guy is wrong about what picks we have.

violentkitten
05-23-2007, 07:50 PM
:baby

mikejones99
05-23-2007, 07:52 PM
Robert horry is the only personthat will need to be replaced.

Mr. Body
05-23-2007, 07:59 PM
Horry will be on the team next year.

raspsa
05-23-2007, 08:00 PM

The San Antonio Sun... :p:

ChumpDumper
05-23-2007, 08:40 PM
How does he look?Honestly? He looks like Julius Hodge with 3 or 4 more inches of height and a slightly better outside shot.

And no bullet wounds.

Which might be enough to make the NBA.

pad300
05-23-2007, 08:56 PM
Honestly? He looks like Julius Hodge with 3 or 4 more inches of height and a slightly better outside shot.

And no bullet wounds.

Which might be enough to make the NBA.

He's that aggressive on D? Julius Hodge was actually a guy I thought might make a decent Bowen fill-in. He was a very aggressive defender in college, as well as being laterally quick, and exceedingly long arms. I was hoping the Spurs would get to pick him up in the 2nd round when he was drafted...

Admidave50
05-23-2007, 09:06 PM
Sun Yue is a rising star in China and he's considered as the next big thing after Yi Jianlian!
It would be cool if the Spurs could get him, I think he's a good prospect and the Spurs will get more spotlight in China :)

ChumpDumper
05-23-2007, 09:08 PM
Hodge doesn't have the shot, strength or conditioning to make it in the NBA at this point, although he is a fun player to watch in the D-League. Yue's height and length could make up for some of the same issues he seems to have. Besides, there aren't any other SFs over 6'8" in the draft outside the lottery anyway. I hope he show up at the draft camp.

timvp
05-23-2007, 09:09 PM
Is Hodge still funny? That was his best trait when being drafted.

ChumpDumper
05-23-2007, 09:11 PM
Hadn't really seen any interviews with him lately. Said a quick hello when the T-Birds were in town, but that was it.

texasqb2
05-23-2007, 09:13 PM

I have never seen a forum so uptight about this should be in this thread, this should be in another thread, etc

Darkwaters
05-23-2007, 09:23 PM
I have never seen a forum so uptight about this should be in this thread, this should be in another thread, etc

Really? Most quality forums don't like the splintering of broad topics over a plethora of threads. Just like they don't like have threads hijacked by trolls. It's hardly uncommon.

ChumpDumper
05-23-2007, 09:27 PM
Ah, Solid D is such a, well, solid poster I guess a little duplication can be tolerated.

Darkwaters
05-23-2007, 09:29 PM
Ah, Solid D is such a, well, solid poster I guess a little duplication can be tolerated.

Agreed. Wasn't he the one that called Fabricio Oberto?

Solid D
05-23-2007, 10:22 PM

My apologies to all for the misinformation on the Spurs' draft picks. I took the draft order from a website that had bad information. I should have paid more attention.

The intention of this thread was more about the college players and not to discuss the international talent. Mr. Body is correct in that this thread could very easily have been a part of the Draft thread...except that it had the college slant to it.

No free passes for me. I'm sorry about the error and duplication, of sorts!!! :donkey

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-23-2007, 10:54 PM
My apologies to all for the misinformation on the Spurs' draft picks. I took the draft order from a website that had bad information. I should have paid more attention.

The intention of this thread was more about the college players and not to discuss the international talent. Mr. Body is correct in that this thread could very easily have been a part of the Draft thread...except that it had the college slant to it.

No free passes for me. I'm sorry about the error and duplication, of sorts!!! :donkey

There was nothing wrong with you creating a new thread like this Solid D. You've earned the right. Ignore Mr. Peabody.

NZHayden
05-23-2007, 11:15 PM
craig bradshaw?

El_Mago
05-23-2007, 11:27 PM
The knock on Sun is that his J is not very good.

But, he does have pretty good handles and can find the open man, mainly due to his height.

However, if the shot is truly spotty....I'm sure it's something he can work on with Chip.

I would roll the dice, but I doubt he will be there at 50 something.

You can pretty much guarantee yourself him with the 33.

Mr. Body
05-24-2007, 01:10 AM
I didn't mean to be so anal about sticking with the draft thread. It's just that a lot has been said over there (along with the usual dreck from all parties, including yours truly) that if another thread gets started, one or the other could needlessly get lost.

John Patrick
05-24-2007, 01:24 AM
Hmm, I'd want to take Yue at 58 from all the info I got in here, but at 33?.... depends who's on the board..

El_Mago
05-24-2007, 01:44 AM
33 would be too early. (Thats just if the Spurs truly fall in love with the kid and feel they need grab him).

Personally, I would like the Spurs to snag Arron Afflalo with the 28th. I think he can still be around that time if the Spurs stick with the 28th. He has an NBA Body, can come in and help immediately, polished, hustles, plays good defense (hates to be scored on), has perimeter skills, and does the little things. He can fit in well in a half court system like the Spurs play. He seems like "Spurs" material and can learn a lot from a player like Bruce Bowen. I think he would fit nicely with the team.

Yet, the dream would be Thad Young. However, the Spurs would have to trade up to nab him because he'll be gone by the late teens early 20's.

Nevertheless, Chump is right. Sun Yue is an intriguing prospect and has some freak characteristics. If at 58....I have no problem taking him.

TDMVPDPOY
05-24-2007, 02:34 AM
takein yue = bankroll from china :D:D:D

mattyc
05-24-2007, 03:03 AM
You can bet we won't see any of the players in the NBA for 2-6 years.

Beno Udrih
05-24-2007, 03:28 AM
Hey Kori, what are your thoughts on Aaron Afflalo?

Mr. Body
05-24-2007, 03:35 AM
I hope to God we don't select Arron Afflalo in the first round. That would truly suck.

Beno Udrih
05-24-2007, 03:36 AM
Thanks Kori.

Mr. Body
05-24-2007, 03:42 AM
He's as least clutch as you can get. His tournament performances were absolutely dismal. Please let's not draft this guy.