PDA

View Full Version : How do you fire back?

bigfish22
05-23-2007, 08:10 PM
When someone tells you that our team is too boring to watch...

What are your rebuttals? Hypothetically speaking, you are going up against some pretty ignorant biggots with low basketball IQs and only think that run and gun offenses that get the glory are the only games worth watching. What do you say?

[Insert only intelligent arguments below]

peskypesky
05-23-2007, 08:15 PM
I tell them their mother is ugly.

exstatic
05-23-2007, 08:18 PM
Tell, them it's a bit boring looking at all of those trophies in the case, too. Ho Hum.

missmyzte
05-23-2007, 08:19 PM
If losing is exciting for them, there's really not much more you can say.

easjer
05-23-2007, 08:22 PM
I ask if multiple crazy passes that somehow make to the guy and zipping around defenders to make a seemingly impossible layup or dunk is interesting to them, and they enthusiastically say yes, that's why they like the run-and-gun, up-tempo style. I ask if they've actually watched a Spurs game recently, and witnessed the offense with Parker, Ginobili, Oberto, Duncan and either Finley or Bowen. Usually the answer is no. Then I point out that the first thing, what they really liked - well, the Spurs do that kind of a lot.

jag
05-23-2007, 08:23 PM
i probably laugh cause that usually comes from a suns, mavericks, bobcats, kings, GSW....etc fan. it doesnt bother me cause if they could have the players we have with the rings we have they'd trade it all in a second. i'm not a bitch and niether are a lot of other spurs fans, so you shouldnt be either :toast

DuncanInYourFace
05-23-2007, 08:26 PM
Ask if they actually watch the NBA. Manu and Parker have to be 2 of the most exciting players in the game today.

violentkitten
05-23-2007, 08:27 PM
boring as hell. and lined with gold.

L.I.T
05-23-2007, 08:28 PM
You want boring? Try dusting and polishing the trophy room, damn that takes a long time.*

*Also applies to the following teams: Los Angeles Lakers, Boston Celtics, Chicago Bulls

Russ
05-23-2007, 08:37 PM
The "boring" label is classic groupthink. Most people who parrot it don't know why the Spurs are boring, they just know that everybody (whom they fear know more than they do) think they are and, therefore, they must be. If you don't think they're boring you may be out of step. People may ask you why -- and what would you say.

The real problem is that the Spurs are too good to ignore, yet nobody really likes them -- they come from a small sequestered market and all. No one is gonna take the time to really get to know them or maybe even like them. Therefore, they need a label. Soft. Dirty. Boring. No matter that these things may be mutually exclusive.

If the Spurs had "New York" written across their chests they would not be boring -- they would be a very exciting dynasty in a basketball Mecca.

Just deal with it, folks. :)

NorCal510
05-23-2007, 08:40 PM
the spurs are more boring than me taking a shit

bigzak25
05-23-2007, 08:45 PM
'of course your bored. the spurs were probably kicking your teams ass'

cornbread
05-23-2007, 08:46 PM
I usually let them know that winning championships NEVER gets boring and as Spurs fans, we don't give a fuck about what the media or fans of other teams think. Unless the NBA Championship changes its format to a popularity contest then the "boring" smack will remain to be a badge of losers.

spursaretheone
05-23-2007, 08:46 PM
I tell them "So is fucking your wife but I do it anyway."

ChumpDumper
05-23-2007, 08:47 PM
The jerk store called -- they're running out of YOU!

TampaDude
05-23-2007, 08:53 PM
I would just ask them if they even knew the first fucking thing about basketball.

dbreiden83080
05-23-2007, 08:59 PM
Probably a lot of the old time teams that won titles would be labled today as boring because everyone wants that run and gun exciting style of play. Look at Russells Celtics, they did not have flash on their team just a fundamentally great big man and a complete team that played unselfish and knew how to win. They played the game the right way a lot like the Spurs do today. Problem today is what people deem as fun to watch is not winning basketball.

T Park
05-23-2007, 09:00 PM
I'd put up a number 3, then a number 1....

Sec24Row7
05-23-2007, 09:05 PM
Tell them that most times we play Phoenix in a playoff game we score more points than they do... What is boring about that?

What I dont get is... we are always part of these AWESOME playoff series in early rounds that get great ratings... then no one cares after we win...

EVERYONE wants the Mavs or Suns to win :lol

Oh well...

Honestly... We play PRETTIER basketball right now than the Darlings of the league 4 years ago..

The Sacramento Kings...

Shrug... well... people will get used to it i guess...

samikeyp
05-23-2007, 09:28 PM
I say, winning never gets boring.

Louie Vega
05-23-2007, 09:31 PM

What are your rebuttals? Hypothetically speaking, you are going up against some pretty ignorant biggots with low basketball IQs and only think that run and gun offenses that get the glory are the only games worth watching. What do you say?

I would rather look ugly and win rather than pretty and lose!

BigBeezie
05-23-2007, 09:31 PM
I tell them "So is fucking your wife but I do it anyway."

That is pretty good! :lol :lol :lol :lol

I tell them that winning never gets old.

Dave McNulla
05-23-2007, 10:02 PM
there's no point in arguing with an 8 year old. logic and reason are lost on them.

i usually ignore them. when i don't ignore them, i tell them to watch the and-1 league, or that faux basketball game where they jump on trampolines.

flipcritic
05-23-2007, 10:28 PM
Tell them it's fine if they like losers.

dknights411
05-23-2007, 10:28 PM
Boring team...
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/atlarge/spurs%20case.JPG

Exciting team...
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/atlarge/Suns.jpg

Case closed

twincam
05-23-2007, 10:32 PM

It's quite simple....

When the Spurs win their 4th NBA title this year, that'll shut them up.

makedamnsure
05-23-2007, 10:35 PM
that they can suck it. you enjoy losing and being 'exciting', go for it.

timmydidit
05-23-2007, 11:00 PM
A title won't shut them up cuz been there done that.. but if winning is boring than sign me up for boring thanx.. People who say the Spurs are boring never give you an explanation because they don't have anything to substantiate their stupid factless remarks... The Spurs are annual contenders, every year they have a shot of winning the championship (which to none Spur fans is "annoying") They are effective and slow pace the game, they are not flashy and have no character issues.. they are mellow down to earth guys.. theres no lawsuits media frenzy(with the exception of the whole Suns saga) or anything crazy going on with them.. but like I said if boring=winning than boring=great success!

koopa
05-23-2007, 11:07 PM
i just shurg and say if winning and contending for championships year in and year out then i don't give a damn how boring they are, cause while i'm celebrating in the middle of june you'll be there with a sad look on your face, and that isn't boring at all

ducks
05-23-2007, 11:13 PM

a shot gun works best

SA210
05-24-2007, 12:02 AM
Boring team...
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/atlarge/spurs%20case.JPG

Exciting team...

Case closed
:lol

SenorSpur
05-24-2007, 12:53 AM
My standard come is "it's all about the hardware, baby"

dav4463
05-24-2007, 01:36 AM
I tell them to go play their video game or watch the Globetrotters or the AndOne tour. They don't appreciate real basketball.

rwb
05-24-2007, 01:42 AM
It's been nice listening to Jeff Van Gundy do the commentating lately. He talked about this very thing in Game 2, incredulous how anyone who knows anything about basketball can possibly be bored by how the Spurs play. It's one of the few times I've been able to stomach ESPN's coverage.

BreezeHillBill
05-24-2007, 12:18 PM
the spurs are more boring than me taking a shit
So now we know what your idea of exciting is. Good thing you're full of shit.

bigFUNDAMENTAL
05-24-2007, 12:20 PM
I'd say... Go Fuck yourself

hater
05-24-2007, 12:21 PM
tell them you heard they are boring in bed

and that they play small ball :lol

judaspriestess
05-24-2007, 12:33 PM
I tell them, If boring is wrong; I don't want to be right

or

Of course Spurs are boring to you, they play intelligent basketball not stupid basketball.

DarrinS
05-24-2007, 12:38 PM
roll your eyes, walk away, and go talk to someone interesting

ImpartialObserver
05-24-2007, 12:58 PM

What are your rebuttals?

I would show them my team's national and local tv ratings going through the roof. Next, I would point out the fact that we sold out all of our playoff home games drawing the largest basketball crowds in the history of California. But I'm a Warriors fan, so my answer might be a bit different than a Spurs fan.

DarrinS
05-24-2007, 01:19 PM
I would show them my team's national and local tv ratings going through the roof. Next, I would point out the fact that we sold out all of our playoff home games drawing the largest basketball crowds in the history of California. But I'm a Warriors fan, so my answer might be a bit different than a Spurs fan.

Well, what other sport are people supposed to go watch in the Oakland/San Fran area?

DOH!

:owned:

DarrinS
05-24-2007, 01:22 PM

If GS fans are missing that erratic, herky jerky, free-for-all style with lots of ill-advised threes and no interior defense, I suggest they go watch a girls high school b-ball game.

NBA Junkie
05-24-2007, 01:33 PM
Why listen to ignorant fans who just go by what the media likes to convey?

Casual fan thinks they know all about the Spurs, but if that's the case, why are the ratings so low? How would they know anything about the Spurs if they're not viewing the product?

maxpower
05-24-2007, 01:41 PM

This calls for a photoshop of Dee And Tony or Cuban.

ambchang
05-24-2007, 01:43 PM
Well, the whole idea of a boring basketball team is a contradiction to me.
If they are boring, why would you watch them?
If you don't watch them, how do you know they are boring?
Besides, the playoffs are getting kind of boring now, I mean, they make the playoffs every single season! It's not like a once in a decade thing.

ImpartialObserver
05-24-2007, 01:54 PM
Well, what other sport are people supposed to go watch in the Oakland/San Fran area?

DOH!

:owned:
The San Jose Sharks also made the conference semifinals this year.

ImpartialObserver
05-24-2007, 01:57 PM
If GS fans are missing that erratic, herky jerky, free-for-all style with lots of ill-advised threes and no interior defense, I suggest they go watch a girls high school b-ball game.
That style ain't and never will be championship basketball that's for sure, but it ain't boring either.

Spurminator
05-24-2007, 01:59 PM
There's no argument to be made. Boring is a matter of taste. I don't know why people consider it an insult... whether saying it or hearing it. The only thing that bothers me about the "boring" talk is that it's the overwhelmingly dominant topic of discussion for this series.

Whether I root for or enjoy watching the Spurs isn't affected at all by whether or not the rest of the country enjoys watching them. I honestly couldn't give a rat's ass.

ggoose25
05-24-2007, 02:02 PM
i tell them, if you think manu ginobili is boring you've got problems

RiverwalkParade
05-24-2007, 02:05 PM
Tell them they are right, but the worst part are the victory parades. And them nudge them like they should understand. Then that night, put your balls on their chin.

judaspriestess
05-24-2007, 04:11 PM
The San Jose Sharks also made the conference semifinals this year.
oooohhhh wow!!