PDA

View Full Version : NBA Investigating Cuban's Comment on Finley

milkyway21
05-24-2007, 02:21 AM
(my apologies if article already posted ..)

NBA investigating Cuban's comment on Finley
By JEFF CAPLAN
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

The NBA is looking into a comment Mavericks owner Mark Cuban made Tuesday about Spurs guard Michael Finley as a possible tampering offense.

Cuban said he was rooting for Finley, 34, to win the NBA championship and added, “I would hope that after his contract is over in San Antone, he would consider the Mavs as an option. I don’t know that he would, but our entire organization has that much respect for him.”

Team officials are prohibited from commenting on other teams’ players who are under contract.

“It was just meant to be a compliment to Mike and to surprise people that I was rooting for the Spurs,” Cuban said Wednesday. “We can’t sign him for a while due to the amnesty provision, which to me meant tampering couldn’t be an issue.”

The Mavs waived Finley in August 2005 to take advantage of a one-time amnesty provision included in the collective bargaining agreement. It allowed the Mavs to avoid a dollar-for-dollar luxury tax on the $51.8 million owed Finley over the final three seasons of his contract.

Finley then became an unrestricted free agent and signed with the Spurs. The Mavs are paying Finley $17.3 million this season and owe him $18.6 million next season, the final year of his contract. The Spurs paid Finley $2.9 million this season and are scheduled to pay him $3.1 million next season.

Finley can opt out of his contract after this season, but the 12th-year player won’t command nearly the money he’ll make under his current deal.

Even if Finley did opt out, the amnesty provision prohibits the Mavs from talking to him until his original deal expires after the 2007-08 season.

-------------------------
:rolleyes

another headline regarding a Spur. Who said this team is boring?

Cuban->busted. :wakeup

Trainwreck2100
05-24-2007, 02:23 AM
In Cuban's defense, Finley is under contract with the Mavs.

TDMVPDPOY
05-24-2007, 02:29 AM
2 paychecks ftw!!1

milkyway21
05-24-2007, 03:44 AM
In Cuban's defense, Finley is under contract with the Mavs.you mean, Finley is under contract w/ the Mavs as well as the Spurs?

so what about that instance when Dallas waived him that allow him to sign with another team?

enlighten me pls... :rolleyes

dav4463
05-24-2007, 06:33 AM
I hate rooting for the same team that cuban is rooting for! Oh well, GO SPURS GO !!!

Summers
05-24-2007, 07:09 AM
I hate rooting for the same team that cuban is rooting for! Oh well, GO SPURS GO !!!

It gives you a yucky taste in your mouth doesn't it?

Summers
05-24-2007, 07:12 AM
you mean, Finley is under contract w/ the Mavs as well as the Spurs?

so what about that instance when Dallas waived him that allow him to sign with another team?

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic with the rolly eyes guy, but they waived him with the one-time salary cap exemption. So they still have to pay his salary, but they don't have to count it against their cap, which left them room to sign someone else.

NBA Junkie
05-24-2007, 07:13 AM
:lmao at Cuban for tampering on a player he can't sign for at least another season.

Nice try Cuban at claiming you're rooting for the Spurs. He's just saying that to save face.

PM5K
05-24-2007, 07:33 AM
That would be pretty funny if he got fined on top of having to pay Mike all of that money, but he shouldn't and probably won't...

VaSpursFan
05-24-2007, 07:58 AM
In Cuban's defense, Finley is under contract with the Mavs.

he no longer has a contract with the mavs...they are merely paying the remaining value of his contract. he has a valid contract with the spurs, thus the investigation of tampering.

Spurminator
05-24-2007, 08:33 AM
I think you guys are overanalyzing Trainwreck's joke.

ATRAIN
05-24-2007, 09:57 AM
I think Cuban should get his regular seats and wear silver and black.........wouldnt that be a site. We should try to get some way to publicly invite him to watch us. Anyone have a way or someone in the media to push this to?

kskonn
05-24-2007, 10:04 AM
I think Cuban should get his regular seats and wear silver and black.........wouldnt that be a site. We should try to get some way to publicly invite him to watch us. Anyone have a way or someone in the media to push this to?

I know you can email cuban and he supposedly reads and responds to most of his emails. Maybe if i just call and offer him a ticket he would come and watch. To be honest it would not be a stretch or a surprise if he accepted.

Trainwreck2100
05-24-2007, 11:26 AM
I think you guys are overanalyzing Trainwreck's joke.

most definitely

J.T.
05-24-2007, 11:45 AM
Someone needs to make a mixtape of Finley's greatest Spurs moments and call the video "Brought to you by Mark Cuban, the Dallas Mavericks, and the Amnesty Rule"

MoSpur
05-24-2007, 11:48 AM
This is the same guy who wanted the Mavs fans to boo Finley when they were playing against the Spurs last year in the semis, right?

SpursWoman
05-24-2007, 11:58 AM

Oh, hell no. Cuban is Title Kryptonite. :spin

El Westsider
05-24-2007, 12:11 PM
Cuban es un pinche joto.

Findog
05-24-2007, 12:14 PM
:lmao at Cuban for tampering on a player he can't sign for at least another season.

Nice try Cuban at claiming you're rooting for the Spurs. He's just saying that to save face.

Why is that so hard to believe? I'm "rooting" for the Spurs, solely for that same reason -- I want Finley to get his ring.

T Park
05-24-2007, 12:14 PM
Cuban said he was rooting for Finley, 34, to win the NBA championship and added, “I would hope that after his contract is over in San Antone, he would consider the Mavs as an option. I don’t know that he would, but our entire organization has that much respect for him.”

Well first off, I see nothing wrong with that.

I can see how that could be construed as tampering, but its no biggie.

Yeah Mark, if you had that much respect for him, why did you encourage BOOing him.

Fuck you.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-24-2007, 12:24 PM
Well first off, I see nothing wrong with that.

I can see how that could be construed as tampering, but its no biggie.

Yeah Mark, if you had that much respect for him, why did you encourage BOOing him.

Fuck you.

You see nothing wrong with that? It could be construed as tampering? TPark, it is the very definition of tampering.

T Park
05-24-2007, 12:26 PM
Eh, he just said "we hope were an option"

Just saying your an option isn't the same as, "hey, you need to sign with us"

BeerIsGood!
05-24-2007, 12:36 PM
What's the penalty for this? A fine? Just gonna take more of Mark's bottomless pool of money, who cares?

Now, if the penalty was losing draft picks or having your salary cap significantly reduced for a couple of years then it would be something.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-24-2007, 12:45 PM
Eh, he just said "we hope were an option"

Just saying your an option isn't the same as, "hey, you need to sign with us"

What is so hard to understand about a rule that states you are not allowed to comment on players on other teams under contract?

himat
05-24-2007, 01:37 PM
Uh oh Cuban is rooting for the Spurs..we all know how the teams he roots for loses.

michaelwcho
05-24-2007, 01:38 PM
Don't you think the anti-tampering rules are kind of silly? Like they don't talk to them anyway....

Spurminator
05-24-2007, 01:46 PM
I'd be surprised if Cuban is actually interested in signing Finley after he's done with the Spurs. This strikes me as a throwaway attempt at a compliment that's being blown out of proportion because it's Mark Cuban.

Findog
05-24-2007, 02:19 PM
What is so hard to understand about a rule that states you are not allowed to comment on players on other teams under contract?

Yes, let's throw the book at him. No harm, no foul.

conqueso
05-24-2007, 02:30 PM
he no longer has a contract with the mavs...they are merely paying the remaining value of his contract. he has a valid contract with the spurs, thus the investigation of tampering.

Well, technically, without a judicial decree, a contract is still valid up until both the promisee and the promisor have fulfilled their performance under the contract. When their respective duties under the contract are discharged, then, and only then, has the contract been fulfilled.

In other words, "merely paying the remaining value of his contract" actually means that there is still a contract in existence, not that he "no longer has a contract with the Mavs."

But in this case, it doesn't matter. You can be under contract to multiple teams and only play for one. There's no problem with that. You just can't play for multiple teams at once. And this shit with Cuban, whatever, he's an attention whore. I don't think he should be fined for any of the shit he does, just heavily ridiculed.

Spurminator
05-24-2007, 02:33 PM
I'd be surprised if Cuban is actually interested in signing Finley after he's done with the Spurs. This strikes me as a throwaway attempt at a compliment that's being blown out of proportion because it's Mark Cuban.

Oh, and also because it's the Playoffs and therefore there's only one game every TWO FUCKING WEEKS so we need something to talk about.

mrsmaalox
05-24-2007, 04:45 PM
you mean, Finley is under contract w/ the Mavs as well as the Spurs?

Apparently, Finley is still making 18mil from Cuban, while only getting about 3 mil from the Spurs. So Cuban pays Finley to play AGAINST the Mavs! What about Steve Nash? Did he also get paid to go away? Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm very new at NBA wheeling/dealing), but isn't that the kind of stuff that got the Knicks in their sorry shape? Paying out big bucks for nothing in return?

Findog
05-24-2007, 07:36 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm very new at NBA wheeling/dealing), but isn't that the kind of stuff that got the Knicks in their sorry shape? Paying out big bucks for nothing in return?

No, it's not the same thing. Cutting Finley saved $51 million in luxury tax. It was in the best interests of the organization to rid itself of the dollar for dollar tax on his contract. They had no control over his destination. Where'd you think he was gonna sign, Charlotte or Atlanta?

Letting Nash go was a pinny pincher move. And they had no control over his destination.

FromWayDowntown
05-24-2007, 07:47 PM
sometimes, I think the Salary Cap FAQ should be required reading for anyone who wants to post about trades or front office decision-making.

ClingingMars
05-24-2007, 07:48 PM
with cuban's comments about the riverwalk last year, i dont think anyone can take him seriously when he says hes rooting for the Spurs this year.

-Mars

FromWayDowntown
05-24-2007, 07:49 PM
No, it's not the same thing. Cutting Finley saved $51 million in luxury tax. It was in the best interests of the organization to rid itself of the dollar for dollar tax on his contract. They had no control over his destination. Where'd you think he was gonna sign, Charlotte or Atlanta?

Letting Nash go was a pinny pincher move. And they had no control over his destination.

Absolutely. Paying Finley $51M over three years was actually a smart finanical move for Cuban and the Mavericks.

I think, based on the spirit of the rule, Cuban is probably guilty of tampering in some sense. But I also think that this has been blown out of proportion only because it's Mark Cuban who did the talking.

milkyway21
05-24-2007, 08:27 PM
Apparently, Finley is still making 18mil from Cuban, while only getting about 3 mil from the Spurs. So Cuban pays Finley to play AGAINST the Mavs! What about Steve Nash?
i think when Steve Nash signed a 6-yr US$65m contract with Phoenix he was already a free agent. Because two yrs prior to his last yrs in Dallas, Finley and Nowitzki were given maximum contracts but Nash, who was never offered an extension, opted out of his contract and became a free agent.

mrsmaalox
05-24-2007, 08:27 PM
sometimes, I think the Salary Cap FAQ should be required reading for anyone who wants to post about trades or front office decision-making.
Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuse the hell out of me. As I pointed out I am new and trying to learn!!! I promise never to post or ask a question until I can function at your GODLY level. Until then I will cower and avert my eyes at your posts! I will go away now and seek the required readings for those "who are not experts but foolishly believe they can post to try to learn something" :dramaquee

mrsmaalox
05-24-2007, 08:29 PM
i think when Steve Nash signed a 6-yr US$65m contract with Phoenix he was already a free agent. Because two yrs prior to his last yrs in Dallas, Finley and Nowitzki were given maximum contracts but Nash, who was never offered an extension, opted out of his contract and became a free agent.
Thank you for the helpful reply, Milkyway21

FromWayDowntown
05-24-2007, 08:31 PM
Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuse the hell out of me. As I pointed out I am new and trying to learn!!! I promise never to post or ask a question until I can function at your GODLY level. Until then I will cower and avert my eyes at your posts! I will go away now and seek the required readings for those "who are not experts but foolishly believe they can post to try to learn something" :dramaquee

:dramaquee

Please, by all means, feel free to post. I'll keep my thoughts to myself.

FWIW -- my post wasn't aimed at you, specifically.

milkyway21
05-24-2007, 08:31 PM
Thank you for the helpful reply, Milkyway21actually we are alike I am not an expert about this NBA contracts. Only i followed this Dallas Nash/Phonix negotiations because i remember HOW SHOCKED DALLAS WAS WHEN THEY REALIZED NASH ACTUALLY SIGNED WITH PHOENIX.

:lmao

mrsmaalox
05-24-2007, 08:37 PM
:dramaquee

Please, by all means, feel free to post. I'll keep my thoughts to myself.

FWIW -- my post wasn't aimed at you, specifically.
Thank you I will try not to be so defensive!!

Sweetey
05-24-2007, 08:47 PM
When Cuban can find his quarter-inch dick with both hands, get back with me. Nothing Cuban says or does is even newsworthy !

Amarelooms
05-24-2007, 08:52 PM
This is the same guy who wanted the Mavs fans to boo Finley when they were playing against the Spurs last year in the semis, right?

Yes of course cause the Mavs were playing AGAINST the Spurs genius :elephant

Amarelooms
05-24-2007, 08:53 PM
When Cuban can find his quarter-inch dick with both hands, get back with me. Nothing Cuban says or does is even newsworthy !

Cuban wouldn;t even let you wipe his ass genius...get off your high horse :elephant

Amarelooms
05-24-2007, 08:54 PM
with cuban's comments about the riverwalk last year, i dont think anyone can take him seriously when he says hes rooting for the Spurs this year.

-Mars

The riverwalk is shit...Cuban was right about that :elephant

milkyway21
05-24-2007, 09:09 PM
The riverwalk is shit...Cuban was right about that :elephant

okay lets here it from the fans around the NBA..

After his praise, Cuban then began crying.

Jokey Joe | 05/24/07

What a waaa waaaaa little baby. Grow up.

Lasota | 05/24/07

I dont wanna grow up - I'm a toys r us kid - just like Markey BOO HOO Mark Cuban.

Jokey Joe | 05/24/07

Oh shut up and get over yourself.

Lasota | 05/24/07

Finley was the heart of the Mav's- then they released him because of his contract! Bad move Cuban- he is not getting younger, so I guess this would be a replacement for Stack

JTMeek | 05/24/07

Yes bad replacement.

Lasota | 05/24/07

More non-news.

JP Austin | 05/24/07

Cuban betta sell off his Mavs before the second Internet bubble!

trojan horsing around | 05/24/07

who cares.

dabigfun | 05/24/07

bad move the first time but accusing him of tampering is ridiculous... the nba and stern just do not like this guy and find new and improved ways to fine him... i wonder where all that fine money goes anyway as they have gotten at least $2.5 million from cuban over the years and it might be more as not all his fines have been disclosed by the league.... anyone know where money paid from fines to players and management goes to? and someone said this and i agree... "mark cuban is a young george steinbrenner"

bcoltrinari | 05/24/07

bcoltrinari: dont compare to George, he got the yanks ring. only thing cuban got the mavs are comfortable couches and DVD players in the locker room.

dabigfun | 05/24/07

It is only news if Cuban's mouth does NOT get him in trouble. Go Spurs!

Facetious for Kicks | 05/24/07

Billions of dollars and to much free time. Does he even have a family?

BLZRinFLA | 05/24/07

Probably but he is mroe focused on his career and bettering himself than his family.

Lasota | 05/24/07

Yeah..well Cuban is the reason most people were happy Dallas lost in the 1st round.

BLZRinFLA | 05/24/07

THE ONLY THING CUBAN NEEDS TO DO IS FOCUS O BUILING HIS TEAM, DONT TRY AND BAIT PLAYERS WITH LITTLE COMMENTS LIKE THAT, YOU MESSED UP MARK AND YOU PAID FOR IT BIG TIME.FINNY IS A SPUR BUDDY GET USED TO IT! AND BY THE WAY , ALL THE LITTLE CHESS MOVES YOU`VE MADE STILL CANT GET YOU A RING
NOW THE WORLD UNDERSTANDS THAT ITS NOT HATE YOU HAVE FOR THE SPURS... IT`S ENVY.

bigremoj27 | 05/24/07

It's too late Mark...You gave up a 2 time MVP for Eric Dampier...Now you want to pick up Mike Finley when he turns 40...Too late. Mike will retire after the Spurs win the Championship and when he's finished cashing your $20 million check...

thetrillk211 | 05/24/07

I just got over myself. I wish Markey Mark Cuban would too.

Jokey Joe | 05/24/07

Nice job trading NASH!! LOLOL That will go down as worst trade in NBA history. What a great owner.

CharlesO | 05/24/07

@CharlesO
Ha, trade. You will go down as the most probably dumbest person posting a comment on fannation...and you don't even know why LOL

Nazarena | 05/24/07

the rest..........
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/4322#

http://img.fannation.com/images/ap/2007/04/28/01/200704280121048927785-p2-210x210.jpg
:p: = Cuban

:lol

ploto
05-24-2007, 09:15 PM
Even if Finley opted out this summer, he could not sign with the Mavs anyway.

All it could lead to is another fine- no different than the one the Spurs just paid for Pop's comments on Oden.

Sweetey
05-24-2007, 09:57 PM
Cuban wouldn;t even let you wipe his ass genius...get off your high horse :elephant
Talk about "shit" -- do you get off to wiping Cuban's ass??? :lol

E20
05-24-2007, 10:00 PM
What does FTW mean?

VaSpursFan
05-24-2007, 10:19 PM
Well, technically, without a judicial decree, a contract is still valid up until both the promisee and the promisor have fulfilled their performance under the contract. When their respective duties under the contract are discharged, then, and only then, has the contract been fulfilled.

In other words, "merely paying the remaining value of his contract" actually means that there is still a contract in existence, not that he "no longer has a contract with the Mavs."

But in this case, it doesn't matter. You can be under contract to multiple teams and only play for one. There's no problem with that. You just can't play for multiple teams at once. And this shit with Cuban, whatever, he's an attention whore. I don't think he should be fined for any of the shit he does, just heavily ridiculed.

way to break it down...i knew i should have gone to law school! the mba just isn't enough...

ridiculing frankenstein won't work b/c he's had a lifetime of that already which is why he overachieves :lol :lol :lol

bdictjames
05-24-2007, 10:20 PM
Cuban just wants to get in Findog's head and take him out of the shooting frenzy he's in now.

bdictjames
05-24-2007, 10:21 PM
What does FTW mean?
I have no idea either. Lemme guess - for the way? That doesnt sound right

E20
05-24-2007, 10:22 PM
I just checked on the net and it says:

FTW = For the Win?

bdictjames
05-24-2007, 10:23 PM
I just checked on the net and it says:

FTW = For the Win?
That might be it.

Fucking lingo. :lol

BigBeezie
05-24-2007, 10:27 PM
I know you can email cuban and he supposedly reads and responds to most of his emails. Maybe if i just call and offer him a ticket he would come and watch. To be honest it would not be a stretch or a surprise if he accepted.

Do it! I would find it very amuzing to see Cuban at a Spurs game...wearing a TD or Manu jersey.

nobodi_home
05-25-2007, 12:47 AM
There is way toooooooo much money being tossed around to these players. Finley is worth 15 million dollars per year about as much as the Energizer Bunny. And to think that Dallas is paying him 5 times as much as SAS. What a crazy, fucked up way to do business. If they would stop paying these outrageous salaries, and cutting insane deals like this one with Finley, basketball would improve drastically. What a damned joke. Finley plays with SAS and draws 15 million from ANOTHER TEAM. Positively insane. Mr. Stern, you're an absolute crackpot. :nope

wildbill2u
05-25-2007, 11:00 AM
Hey, 18 million a year aint chickenfeed even for Cuban.

Here' s the answer to Mr. Cuban's current problems. If he wants Finley back, we trade him to Dallas for Dirk.

That solves our Long Three problem and gets rid of the Mavs latest embarassment.

Johnny RIngo
05-25-2007, 11:28 AM
Hey, 18 million a year aint chickenfeed even for Cuban.

Here' s the answer to Mr. Cuban's current problems. If he wants Finley back, we trade him to Dallas for Dirk.

That solves our Long Three problem and gets rid of the Mavs latest embarassment.

I don't want that German choker on the Spurs. Guy's a loser. Always will be.

spursfan09
05-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Yeah well if he was on the Spurs he wouldn't have to deal with the pressure of the losses. They would fall on Tim's shoulders.

BreezeHillBill
05-25-2007, 03:41 PM
What does FTW mean?
FTW was common among Marines during the NAM. It meant "Fuck The World".
Haven't been able to figure out the meaning in these posts.