PDA

View Full Version : P.J. Carlesimo to Grizzlies?

ducks
05-24-2007, 08:50 AM
News has Gasol groaning
Story Tools
E-mail this story | Print

Center says he wants to stay with Grizzlies, but team has many decisions to make before draft
By Ronald Tillery
Contact
May 24, 2007
Pau Gasol awoke Wednesday morning on the other side of the world and rushed to a computer searching for how his Memphis Grizzlies fared in the NBA draft lottery.
The Grizzlies' center immediately wanted to go back to bed.

Advertisement
"We just don't have any luck," Gasol said via telephone from Spain.
He could say that again.

Apenas no tenemos ninguna suerte! (Translation: We just don't have any luck.)

The Grizzlies left Secaucus, N.J., Tuesday with the fourth pick, even though they had the best chance to win No. 1. Portland bucked the odds and walked away with the top pick. Seattle moved up to No. 2, meaning those teams will enjoy the Greg Oden-Kevin Durant sweepstakes.

The Grizzlies finished in the lowest spot possible for a team with the NBA's worst record, something Gasol said is hard to swallow.

"It was a tough hit for everybody," Gasol said. "It's hard to accept the reality. The franchise will still get a good player. But there was a chance to get a great player with the first or second pick."

The stunning development changes the complexion of what promises to be a busy offseason. In need of a coach, general manager and tangible help on the court, the Griz have plenty of angles to sort out.

Gasol's future in a Griz uniform may be chief among the many conundrums the team faces during the June 28 draft.

Do they keep the former All-Star and continue to build around him? Do the Grizzlies trade the offensive dynamo and move toward a full-blown rebuilding plan?

Gasol requested a trade in January but seemed to back off that stance when the season ended. While acknowledging that he could still be traded, Gasol said he wants to remain a Grizzly.

"I do," Gasol said. "But the draft (lottery) didn't go our way, and now other things are going to have to happen to be a better team. I'm talking about the (next) coach and general manager. I don't know how much this affects my situation. We'll see. Let's see how the franchise reacts."

Asked who he would endorse as the next head coach, Gasol said his wishes would remain private.

"I'll give my opinion to Mike Heisley," Gasol said, referring to the team's owner. "I appreciate that he wants my input. When the time comes, I'll tell Mike what I think."

Meanwhile, Griz assistant and one-time Vancouver head coach Lionel Hollins has expressed interest in taking over the bench. Hollins interviewed for the Charlotte Bobcats coaching vacancy and is seeking a meeting with Heisley.

The Griz already have spoken to University of Florida men's basketball coach Billy Donovan and passed. Heisley then interviewed NBA coaching legend Larry Brown and Phoenix assistant Marc Iavaroni.

San Antonio assistant P.J. Carlesimo, a former head coach, is a person of interest for the Grizzlies. The team likely will seek permission to speak with Carlesimo when the Spurs' playoff run ends.

Also, expect the Grizzlies' list of executive candidates to expand from former Denver boss Kiki Vandeweghe and Boston's Chris Wallace in the coming weeks. The Grizzlies have made contact with former NBA point guard Mark Jackson (now an ESPN/ABC analyst) and the parties have agreed to talk.

The Grizzlies also are interested in former Chicago Bulls guard B.J. Armstrong. Armstrong worked under former Bulls general manager Jerry Krause and then as an NBA scout.

Heisley could not be reached for comment on Wednesday.

He said during the lottery that the Grizzlies won't rush to make a hire based on how the draft order was set.

"When I'm ready to make a hire, I'll make a hire," Heisley said Tuesday. "Right now, I'm not close."

The Griz are expected to hire a coach before securing a general manager.

-- Ronald Tillery: 529-2353

MoSpur
05-24-2007, 09:12 AM
Good for him to get an opportunity, but if I were him, I wouldn't want that job.

SenorSpur
05-24-2007, 09:21 AM
If P.J. wants back in, this may be his only chance.

T Park
05-24-2007, 09:30 AM
Take him please.

Take RC with him.

Jimcs50
05-24-2007, 09:47 AM
Take him please.

Take RC with him.

WTF is wrong with you???

T Park
05-24-2007, 09:48 AM
Nothing at all.

RC has fucked up enormously too many times, and PJ is not a good enough coach to be the "head assistant"

Jimcs50
05-24-2007, 09:52 AM
Nothing at all.

RC has fucked up enormously too many times, and PJ is not a good enough coach to be the "head assistant"

Fucked up???

I will give you Malik Rose's bad contract, and his trading Barbosa' rights to Phoenix, but where else has he fucked up???

PJ is better than any 1st assistant in the league.

T Park
05-24-2007, 09:56 AM
I will give you Malik Rose's bad contract,

That contract wasn't bad, they had to sign him to that, or the lakers would've gotten him. How bad that contract was is overrated. Definately better than nesterobitch's bloated fuckup of a deal.

the barbosa's rights was not the issue, the spurs never wanted him and phoenix picked for the spurs.

He chose to try and sign Jason Kidd instead of drafting Josh Howard.

He also chose Derrick Dial over Raja Bell.

His handling of Stephen Jackson's contract.

Too many screw ups to mention.

PJ is not a good coach, look at how bad the team does when he takes over for pop.

The game in cleveland being a huge example.

bigfan
05-24-2007, 10:07 AM
Your arguement is almost too stupid to comment on. Both RC and PJ are excellent staff and any team out there would love to have RC Id bet. RC and the Spurs discovered the foreign market. PJ maybe a little less so but he deserves another shot at head coach.

T Park
05-24-2007, 10:12 AM
RC and the Spurs discovered the foreign market

Sam Presti is the reason the foreign Market got discovered.

Move Presti into RC's seat immediately.

ducks
05-24-2007, 10:14 AM
That contract wasn't bad, they had to sign him to that, or the lakers would've gotten him. How bad that contract was is overrated. Definately better than nesterobitch's bloated fuckup of a deal.

the barbosa's rights was not the issue, the spurs never wanted him and phoenix picked for the spurs.

He chose to try and sign Jason Kidd instead of drafting Josh Howard.

He also chose Derrick Dial over Raja Bell.

His handling of Stephen Jackson's contract.

Too many screw ups to mention.

PJ is not a good coach, look at how bad the team does when he takes over for pop.

The game in cleveland being a huge example.

duncan told them to go after kidd

Tigole Bitties
05-24-2007, 10:18 AM
Good for him, but it sucks that he'll be going to a team in the same division. Even if the Grizz suck ass the first few years, they'll probably pwn us in the regular season like Mike Brown and the Cavs.

T Park
05-24-2007, 10:24 AM
duncan told them to go after kidd

Wrong.

Duncan and Pop wanted Josh howard.

Rc wanted kidd.

RC won for some reason.

ducks
05-24-2007, 10:26 AM
duncan wanted howard yes but he also wanted them to go after kidd

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-24-2007, 10:49 AM
Nothing at all.

Yep, Pop has no say in personnel decisions. Good ol' Tpark...

MoSpur
05-24-2007, 10:50 AM
I think PJ has been an assistant to Pop long enough that he should be ready to go out and take a team into the playoffs I just don't think Memphis is the right place for him for some reason.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-24-2007, 10:50 AM
Wrong.

Rc wanted kidd.

RC won for some reason.

Yep, it's a pretty common occurrance for a subordinate (RC) to have final say over his boss (Pop).

Tpark, drinking the Pop flavored kool-aid as usual.

Gummi
05-24-2007, 10:56 AM
I think P.J. deserves another chance as a head coach in this league. Unlike T Park, I think he's a good coach and a valuable member of the Spurs coaching staf. I would rather have P.J. as a Spurs assistant then loosing him to the Grizz or any other team, but I know that P.J. wants to become a head coach and he's obviously not going to do so in San Antonio. Unless he wants to wait for 5-6 years when both Duncan and Pop retire.

R.C. IMO is a great GM. He's been considered as one of the best for several years now and it would be a big loss if he would leave the Spurs. Although I do think that Sam Presti would be able to handle the GM position, I'd still pick R.C. over him.

MrChug
05-24-2007, 10:57 AM
Wrong.

Rc wanted kidd.

RC won for some reason.

No, YOU'RE wrong, ducks is right...Duncan did want Kidd----AND it was Pop who wanted Rasho...so bad he went to Slovenia and tried to convince his parents! Pop speaks fluent Serbian and wanted him. RC just supported him.

cherylsteele
05-24-2007, 12:06 PM
Nothing at all.

The Spurs are considered by many to be a model organization in all of pro sports and you want to get rid of 2 key people in the organization?

What don't you like about PJ and RC anyways?

T Park
05-24-2007, 12:12 PM
No, YOU'RE wrong, ducks is right...Duncan did want Kidd----AND it was Pop who wanted Rasho

Pop did want rasho.

Duncan and Pop also wanted Josh Howard.

thats a fact.

Typical Aggie with his Pop hate.

T Park
05-24-2007, 12:12 PM
The Spurs are considered by many to be a model organization in all of pro sports and you want to get rid of 2 key people in the organization?

The two weakest links, so yes.

ducks
05-24-2007, 12:15 PM
rc is not the reason sj was not resigned
sj agent did not even return phone calls
sj agent wanted starter clause put in there
not rc's fault

SilverPlayer
05-24-2007, 12:18 PM
If you guys read the boards a little more closely you would realize that a lot of what Tpark is saying has become the consensus around here.

PJ's style is too similar to Pops. Popovich needs someone who will challenge the way he thinks, and propose alternatives. Someone who will push more motion offense and better rotations. PJ clearly isn't doing that, and that should be his primary role.

RC is overrated. He has been on the wrong side of too many moves. The Spurs are winning in spite of them, but that is more a testament to Sam Presti's eye for picking TP and Manu. Otherwise the Spurs have pretty much been standing pat for the entirety of Duncan's prime. And that is not going to get it done.

MoSpur
05-24-2007, 12:18 PM
I think R.C has done a good job. He has in a way helped win some titles right?

T Park
05-24-2007, 12:21 PM
PJ's style is too similar to Pops. Popovich needs someone who will challenge the way he thinks, and propose alternatives. Someone who will push more motion offense and better rotations. PJ clearly isn't doing that, and that should be his primary role.

RC is overrated. He has been on the wrong side of too many moves. The Spurs are winning in spite of them, but that is more a testament to Sam Presti's eye for picking TP and Manu. Otherwise the Spurs have pretty much been standing pat for the entirety of Duncan's prime. And that is not going to get it done.

Thank you thank you thank you.

I want a younger, more advanced, offensive minded coach who will go to pop in the games where the offense stnks and have the balls to say "do this so we can fucking win"

Presti is the guy for Parker and others, sure he screwed up with Sergie the giant, but fuck, it was the last pick, and there was no one that year that went undrafted that were kicking ourselves for not drafting anyways.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-24-2007, 12:25 PM
Pop did want rasho.

Duncan and Pop also wanted Josh Howard.

thats a fact.

Typical Aggie with his Pop hate.

Pop hate? You're a fucking moron. Duncan and Pop wanted Howard, but they wanted Kidd more. What's so hard for you to comprehend about that?

T Park
05-24-2007, 12:27 PM
Pop hate? You're a fucking moron

Yeah what was i thinking saying that to the person who blames every single loss, and screw up on Pop.

ducks
I would not mind a new o assistant coach
but rc does not suck
pj has been here along time
time for some new ideas
I wanted manu's old coach to come here as an assistant

Aggie Hoopsfan
Thank you thank you thank you.

I want a younger, more advanced, offensive minded coach who will go to pop in the games where the offense stnks and have the balls to say "do this so we can fucking win"

Holy shit. After all these years of you getting your panties in a wad when I call out Pop over his offense, now you get righteous and say we need an offensive guru for an assistant?

I am saving this quote from your carney ass for reference any time you even attempt to call me out when I'm critical about Pop at the offensive end of the floor.

You just owned yourself on every "Pop is great" argument you've made in defense of anyone's criticism of his offensive prowess over the last 4 years.

:lmao

picnroll
05-24-2007, 12:29 PM
According to the article the other day the reason Parker is a Spur is because of Buford.
Mahinimi is on Presti's ticket and that remains to play out.

The entire FO and Duncan seemed to lose their minds over Kidd.

T Park
Holy shit. After all these years of you getting your panties in a wad when I call out Pop over his offense, now you get righteous and say we need an offensive guru for an assistant?

I am saving this quote from your carney ass for reference any time you even attempt to call me out when I'm critical about Pop at the offensive end of the floor.

You just owned yourself on every "Pop is great" argument you've made in defense of anyone's criticism of his offensive prowess over the last 4 years.

my carney ass?

well first off its carny.

Second, I don't see how bringing me into this thread, has anything to do with the subject at hand.

Stay on topic please.

T Park
According to the article the other day the reason Parker is a Spur is because of Buford

Presti found him.

RC convinced Pop to look at him.

picnroll
05-24-2007, 12:31 PM
Presti found him.

Pop had wriitten him off and Buford was sold on him and asked Presti to put together some tape for Pop. Parker was found at the Nike tournament and I don't know who attended that.

SilverPlayer
05-24-2007, 12:33 PM
I think R.C has done a good job. He has in a way helped win some titles right?

Don't get me wrong RC is good, He's a damn sight better than most NBA GMs. But Presti is better, and he will walk this year if we don't give him the reigns. Keeping Presti is more important than keeping the guy who overlooked Barbosa and skipped out on Josh Howard.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-24-2007, 12:40 PM
my carney ass?

well first off its carny.

Second, I don't see how bringing me into this thread, has anything to do with the subject at hand.

Stay on topic please.

That is the lamest attempt at changing the topic ever Tpark.

What topic is that? You said that we need an offensive guru as an assistant and singled out Pop's shortcomings.

If you don't want to be called out for it, then 1) don't make a comment about it and 2) don't back on three years of being an ass when anyone criticizes Pop.

You want this to 'stay on topic'? Fine, I'll start a new thread on your hypocrisy.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-24-2007, 12:41 PM
Don't get me wrong RC is good, He's a damn sight better than most NBA GMs. But Presti is better, and he will walk this year if we don't give him the reigns. Keeping Presti is more important than keeping the guy who overlooked Barbosa and skipped out on Josh Howard.

1. We didn't overlook Barbosa, we made that pick for Phoenix.

2. He 'skipped' out on Howard due to marching orders by everyone in the front office to 'do whatever it takes to get Jason Kidd'.

Quit with the misinformation.

T Park
05-24-2007, 12:50 PM
The only one throwing out misinformation is you and your agenda against Popovich.

that simple.

thousandth
05-24-2007, 01:41 PM
Presti found him.

:rolleyes RC? RC say bye bye Spurs, hello Sonics!!!!. :rolleyes

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-24-2007, 02:20 PM
The only one throwing out misinformation is you and your agenda against Popovich.

that simple.

Misinformation?

Your quotes are here on this board in black and white. How am I throwing out misinformation? This is the lamest attempt at changing the topic ever.

ggoose25
05-24-2007, 02:37 PM
Aggie just owned you Tpark.

you said it yourself, pop is weak on the Xs and Os offensively

SilverPlayer
05-24-2007, 02:44 PM
1. We didn't overlook Barbosa, we made that pick for Phoenix.

2. He 'skipped' out on Howard due to marching orders by everyone in the front office to 'do whatever it takes to get Jason Kidd'.

Quit with the misinformation.

Either way, we should have known about those two talents. And we fucking skipped Josh Howard. He fell into our laps, when most people projected him in the 14-16 range; Everyone on the board was clamoring to draft him. It was a monumental fuck up to let him pass, especially when we have Pop and Tim on record as pushing for the team to draft J Howard.

They knew about Howard, and someone overrode Pop on that one. There are only two people with the seniority to do that. RC and Holt, and I've met Holt. He leaves the scouting up to the Spurs. He may nickel and dime on occasion but he doesn't presume to interfere with the scouting.

cherylsteele
05-24-2007, 03:22 PM
The two weakest links, so yes.
You only responded to part of my question....why do you dislike RC and PJ so much?

Be specific and objective....if you can.

T Park
05-24-2007, 03:33 PM
why do you dislike RC and PJ so much?

be objective?

I think I have been objective in voicing of my complaints.

I think RC is a decent GM, but doesn't make good personnel moves.

I think Presti is the better GM.

PJ I think is just an OK coach, hes nothing spectacular offensive wise, and thats why he was brought in was for his offense.

T Park
05-24-2007, 03:34 PM
It was a monumental fuck up to let him pass, especially when we have Pop and Tim on record as pushing for the team to draft J Howard.

They knew about Howard, and someone overrode Pop on that one. There are only two people with the seniority to do that. RC and Holt, and I've met Holt. He leaves the scouting up to the Spurs. He may nickel and dime on occasion but he doesn't presume to interfere with the scouting.

oops......

SilverPlayer
05-24-2007, 03:34 PM
You only responded to part of my question....why do you dislike RC and PJ so much?

Because Presti who has demonstrated to have a better eye for talent, and by all accounts is more than capable of holding down the GM position, wants a GM position and is this summer's hottest management prospect. You don't let Presti walk....You let RC go (to his pick of the NBA teams) amicably.

kingsfan
05-24-2007, 03:37 PM
Kings going to interview him also. i think he'd be a decent fit for us.

T Park
05-24-2007, 03:39 PM
Kings can have him too.

picnroll
05-24-2007, 03:40 PM
Because Presti who has demonstrated to have a better eye for talent, and by all accounts is more than capable of holding down the GM position, wants a GM position and is this summer's hottest management prospect. You don't let Presti walk....You let RC go (to his pick of the NBA teams) amicably.
How's Mahinmi doing? And btw who gets credit for Beno?

SilverPlayer
05-24-2007, 04:56 PM
How's Mahinmi doing? And btw who gets credit for Beno?

My guess is that Presti has not agreed with all of the moves the Spurs have made, otherwise he wouldn't be itching so badly for a chance to run his own team.

We still have a year or two more to figure out if Mahinmi will pan out.

And no one can be faulted for Beno. (Even if its RC who wanted him, he shouldn't be let go of for that.) He always has looked like he could have been one of the best backups in the league, he has all the talent in the world. Hell he still might turn it around, given half a chance with a less structured team.

texasqb2
05-24-2007, 04:59 PM
If we lose PJ..I'd like us to nab Rick Carlisle....Pop offered him the job when the Pistons got rid of him a few years back

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-24-2007, 05:36 PM
Either way, we should have known about those two talents. And we fucking skipped Josh Howard. He fell into our laps, when most people projected him in the 14-16 range; Everyone on the board was clamoring to draft him. It was a monumental fuck up to let him pass, especially when we have Pop and Tim on record as pushing for the team to draft J Howard.

No one disagrees about missing on Howard. Again though, Pop is just as culpable for the decision to trade that pick to Phoenix as R.C. People like to protect him and pretend that it was big bad R.C. who told Pop to stuff it when it came time to potentially draft Howard, and that's just ridiculous.

That was a group decision made at the top. It's well documented that Tim liked Howard, but the fact is they were still eyeing bigger prizes in Kidd, O'Neal, etc.

Howard didn't fall into our laps because we had already made the deal with Phoenix for cap room to trade the pick and get Barbosa for them.

Sure, R.C. is partially to blame for what happened June 2003, but let's not pretend other front office folks (including Pop) weren't in on the decision.

SilverPlayer
05-24-2007, 05:50 PM
Sure, R.C. is partially to blame for what happened June 2003, but let's not pretend other front office folks (including Pop) weren't in on the decision.
It's pure supposition on your part as it is on mine as to how how the blame should fall. RC though must have been the negating factor in the decision making process. For that he should be scrutinized.

But regardless, the argument is not that RC is bad, it's whether or not Presti is better?
Is Presti capable of doing the job?
Does he have a better eye for talent?
One bad move can ruin a franchise for a long time...How long should we wait until Duncan's prime is passed before we start to look at fielding a younger team?
Will losing Presti be worse than losing RC?

To me, RC doesn't have the best eye for talent and team building. Presti seems to fill that requirement better and that would seem to be 95% of the qualification for the GM position.

ploto
05-24-2007, 05:57 PM
For the record- RC loved Beno and took Pop to Chicago to see him.

As to PJ- I do not think that Memphis will go with that rigid of a style of coach after their recent experiences.

SilverPlayer
05-24-2007, 06:11 PM
For the record- RC loved Beno and took Pop to Chicago to see him.

That's pretty damning.

Net Negatives
1) So Josh Howard/ Barbosa are one strike against RC.
2) Beno. But hey he has the talent so 1/2 strike.
3) not working it out with Stephen Jackson.
4) Getting rid of Malik our main weapon against Dallas.
5) Not knowing Scola's buy out clause.
6) Let go of Devin Brown
7) Didn't resign Devin Brown
8) Let Go of AD- who would have been our best backup PG for the last half decade.

Positives
1) Jackie Butler was a shrewd contractual move even if he doesn't pan out.
2) Horry and Finley but they don't really count. I think having Pop and Duncan here meant more to them than RC.
3) Got rid of some bad contracts (Rasho)
4) James White (if RC had a hand in scouting him)
5) Steve Kerr the second time
6) Chip Engelland
7) Hedo - it was a net positive in that we got him for nothing.

Who's fault are the following? They were stopgap measures that really didn't fit our needs.
1) Fransico Elson is another failed stopgap at this point.
2) Brent Barry - is he a negative or net positive I'm still not sure
3) Nazr - maybe he put us over the top of Detroit, or maybe not having Malik put us short of Dallas.
4) Nick the not so quick.
5) Glen Robinson
6) Ron Mercer
7) Anthony Carter
8) Mike Wilks

ggoose25
05-24-2007, 06:13 PM
Nazr was a great move. For one season

SilverPlayer
05-24-2007, 06:18 PM
Nazr was a great move. For one season

I agree at some level, but maybe losing Malik wasn't worth it. Not that Malik has been good since he left, but he might have made two points of a difference last year against Dallas. Who knows.

SilverPlayer
05-24-2007, 07:04 PM
All in all I miss the days when we were bringing in players like Malik, AD, Kevin Willis, Mario Ellie, Stephen Jackson, Bruce Bowen, Jerome Kersey, and Will Perdue.

We've replaced that with days where we bring in players like Brent Barry, Hedo, Beno, Rasho, Fransico Elson, Matt Bonner.

We used to value toughness when Popovich called all the shots, and I understand he can't do both jobs again. But RC hasn't been the genius we first thought him to be. He's shrewd, he's handled the salary cap with absolute master strokes, but his moves have been for lesser players, that haven't been the best choices available at the time.

ese
05-24-2007, 07:07 PM
All in all I miss the days when we were bringing in players like Malik, AD, Kevin Willis, Mario Ellie, Stephen Jackson, Bruce Bowen, Jerome Kersey, and Will Perdue.

We've replaced that with days where we bring in players like Brent Barry, Hedo, Beno, Rasho, Fransico Elson, Matt Bonner.

We used to value toughness when Popovich called all the shots, and I understand he can't do both jobs again. But RC hasn't been the genius we first thought him to be. He's shrewd, he's handled the salary cap with absolute master strokes, but his moves have been for lesser players, that haven't been the best choices available at the time.

amen. lets bring in some hardcore vatos not some euroshit

GrandeDavid
05-24-2007, 09:04 PM
"It was a tough hit for everybody," Gasol said. "It's hard to accept the reality. The franchise will still get a good player. But there was a chance to get a great player with the first or second pick."

Yes, I'm probably spoiled since I've been a fan of David Robinson and Tim Duncan over a span of 17 years, and having said that, I don't see either of them being so negative about a similar situation, which they've never been in. You've gotta suck it up. Bang your head against the wall in private, sulk among a few close teammates and your family, but when talking to the press, why not try looking at the bright side? True they won't get Oden or Durant, but you're a multi-millionaire player, suck it up. This is a deep draft. I would assume they could get a great player with the 4th pick. Foremost, greatness is never guaranteed.

I know Gasol is disappointed, but it could be worse. Suck it up.

ploto
05-24-2007, 09:09 PM
Regardless of job titles, Pop still has the greatest voice when it comes to personnel (except when Holt interjects, usually for $$ purposes). Like with Beno, RC loved him and took Pop to Chicago to see him at the camp, but once Pop saw him there, he became Pop's guy.

cherylsteele
05-24-2007, 09:44 PM
I think RC is a decent GM, but doesn't make good personnel moves.
what moves don't you like anyways?
The SJax situation? Rose's contract? What?