View Full Version : No. 3 pick a hard one for Hawks

ducks
05-24-2007, 08:55 AM
ajc.com > Sports > Hawks
No. 3 pick a hard one for Hawks

By SEKOU SMITH
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 05/24/07
Now that the suspense of the NBA draft lottery is over, the Hawks can get down to the real business of figuring out what to do with those two picks, No. 3 and No. 11, they won Tuesday night.

The possibilities are endless.

They could simply study the players available and make the two picks. Or they could package one of the picks and a current player and trade them for veteran help at a position of need. Or they could trade down and acquire another asset to facilitate other aspects of a rebuilding project that got a major jolt with Tuesday night's good fortune.

Again, the possibilities are endless.

Hawks general manager Billy Knight knows as much. That's why he wasn't tipping his hand during a Wednesday morning media session at the Hawks' downtown headquarters.

"Now the work begins," Knight said. "We have to go through the process. And it's a process where you have to evaluate all of the particulars and all of the information you can about a specific player's background. You have to gather statistical information, medical information and all the information imaginable. And certainly we're confident we'll find someone that can help our team."

A new league rule prevents teams from bringing players in for individual workouts until after the Orlando pre-draft camp, June 5. So the hands-on part of the process is a couple of weeks away. But they'll be in the catbird's seat with the third pick in a draft where the first two picks — Greg Oden and Kevin Durant — have already been identified.

"We really think that [No. 3] starts the rest of the draft," Knight said. "We'll have to look at all of those guys after those top two guys. The consensus is pretty standard for the league that it's the top two and who they are. After that it's really up to another six guys probably."

Figuring out the six names Knight already has in his head is the great mystery as to what may transpire on draft night June 28.

Florida forwards Al Horford and Joakim Noah, North Carolina forward Brandan Wright, Chinese forward Yi Jianlian, Kansas forward Julian Wright and Ohio State point guard Mike Conley will all be discussed as possibilities for the third pick. But Knight admitted Wednesday that the speculation is nothing more than that.

"We don't have any idea who we might pick," Knight said. "We just got the pick last night. We can't bring players in until after the Orlando camp, after [June] 5th. But we are going to have more assets."

One problem the Hawks won't have is getting the attention of the top prospects. In the past, agents would steer players to workouts for select teams, arguing that their client wouldn't be available later in the draft. That shouldn't be the case for the Hawks, not with the top pick for the rest of the draft seemingly up for grabs.

"We didn't get the No. 1 or No. 2 picks but we feel like we've got the No. 1 pick in the East," Knight said and then laughed. "And we feel like we will have some leverage there because we're setting the pace for the rest of the draft."

Knight wouldn't even let on which positions he would consider first for the draft picks, saying that not only is it against league rules to comment but that he "wouldn't even if he could."

General managers playing coy at draft time is part of the process.

"We know we'll get a good player," Knight said. "We'll get two good players or perhaps we'll make a trade and get a veteran player to add to our team. But we know we're going to come out on the other side of this process with some assets."

Find this article at:
http://www.ajc.com/hawks/content/sports/hawks/stories/2007/05/23/0524hawks.html

ducks
05-24-2007, 08:56 AM
Conley’s the Hawks’ only choice
By Terence Moore | Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 10:22 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Terence Moore
Mike Conley, Jr.

Period.

Any questions?

Well, there won’t be next month if the Hawks do the right thing in the NBA draft for the first time since just shy of forever by taking Conley at No. 3.

When it comes to such a lofty pick, Hawks officials should forget about Brandan Wright, Yi Jianlian, Al Horford, Joakim Noah or whatever mystery guy is rattling around in their heads. They need several things to become consistently effective and interesting for a change, but they mostly need a point guard.

Guess what? Conley is a point guard, and despite only a season at Ohio State, he flashed signs of becoming a splendid point guard in the NBA.

Maybe you’ve heard: Hawks officials already had a chance to draft a splendid point guard. Twice. They passed on Chris Paul, a future NBA Rookie of the Year, and they ignored Deron Williams, now leading the Utah Jazz on their best run during the postseason since the days of John Stockton and Karl Malone.

As a result, the Hawks had three backup point guards on their roster this season while missing the playoffs for an NBA-high eighth consecutive time.

So it has to be Conley. This is a no-brainer, which bodes well for a franchise that has operated without one for years.

degenerate_gambler
05-24-2007, 10:09 AM
so if conley's their only real choice...

they'll draft another forward.

NBA Junkie
05-24-2007, 10:12 AM
If they want Conley, they might trade down so they can get him a little cheaper and get an additional pick. I don't see him being available past the 8th pick, though.

MrChug
05-24-2007, 10:45 AM
so if conley's their only real choice...

they'll draft another forward.

:lmao...yah especially one out a big school with a nondescript skillset but who has great "upside" :lol ! Hawks you need a frickin point guard, and if you don't get Conley...you get what you deserve (to stay a bottom feeder for another year until you get something RIGHT in the lottery-jeez).

BacktoBasics
05-24-2007, 12:07 PM
If they want Conley, they might trade down so they can get him a little cheaper and get an additional pick. I don't see him being available past the 8th pick, though.This is what I think they should do. Maybe work something out with Boston and drop a couple of spots.

AFBlue
05-24-2007, 03:16 PM
If they want Conley, they might trade down so they can get him a little cheaper and get an additional pick. I don't see him being available past the 8th pick, though.

If Billy Knight was smart, I'd totally agree. It makes sense, which is why it won't happen.

I said this in the other forum....

If Billy Knight falls in love with Conley, he'll take him at 3....if he falls in love with Noah, he'll take him at 3.

It doesn't matter that neither are probably worth that pick and that he could probably add future picks and value by trading down a few spots to get the guy he wants, because there's too much risk that he'll lose his precious draftee.

Fillmoe
05-24-2007, 03:19 PM
they can get conley with the 11th...... they should take brandon wright at 3......

AFBlue
05-24-2007, 03:42 PM
they can get conley with the 11th...... they should take brandon wright at 3......

Conley was a late lottery pick a week ago....now he's not likely to get out of top 8 or 10. Granted that could change with some poor workouts, but he's the best PG in this draft and I think he sticks top 10. As of right now, he doesn't last 'til 11.

On Wright, I've said this in the HawksTalk thread....

He seems very much like a "projection" pick. Right now he doesn't have the strength to play (on O or D) in the paint, and offensively he doesn't have the perimeter game to fall back on...much like Aldridge did this year. Again, I think he could certainly gain the 20lbs necessary for him to be relevant in the post, and I think he could develop his 15-18ft shot....but he doesn't have either of those attributes right now, and it's a big risk to say that he'll develop those traits.

DDS4
05-24-2007, 06:27 PM
If they passed on CP3 and D.Will, I'd be shocked if they went for Conley at the 3rd pick. I mean, why start now?

BUMP
05-24-2007, 07:16 PM

thats a terrible choice. Josh Smith=Brandan Wright. good defense, good athlete, and not much offensive game. and what happens when Conley is taken 8 or 9th? then Hawks manager, whoever he is, looks like a dumdum

AFBlue
05-24-2007, 08:51 PM
thats a terrible choice. Josh Smith=Brandan Wright. good defense, good athlete, and not much offensive game. and what happens when Conley is taken 8 or 9th? then Hawks manager, whoever he is, looks like a dumdum

Bad analogy on Smith v. Wright. Wright is exclusively a PF with no perimeter game. He actually DOES have an inside game, but he won't have the opportunity to establish himself in the post because he isn't strong enough...therein lies the problem. But the comparison is a bad one...Smith is a 3, Wright is a 4.

Agree with you though, that Conley won't last to 11.

AFBlue
05-24-2007, 08:56 PM
I brought this up in another thread regarding Oden's wish to play with his longtime teammate Mike Conley Jr. Oddly enough, I think it's the Hawks that could facilitate this trade. Here's how...

Atlanta gives up the #3 pick, which the Blazers would use to select Conley Jr., plus Josh Childress (or Josh Smith if the Blazers don't budge), and a mid-salary guy in Speedy Claxton.

In return, Atlanta gets Zach Randolph to play F/C and provide the low-post scoring threat they DESPERATELY need. They should also get back a PG prospect in order to balance out the roster....say Jarret Jack, who played at local Georgia Tech.

I believe since Atlanta is under the salary cap it works....what do you think?