PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else see this coming?

superfedja
05-24-2007, 09:20 AM
Ever since I saw Greg Oden for the first time (Big Time basket-ball tournament in Las Vegas 3 years ago) I've had this feeling that he was destined to be a spur. I played in that tournament so I actually had the chance to learn a lot about him and even meet him (we didn't talk for long). And what strikes me the most is that people keep comparing this guy to DRob, Shaq, Garnett, etc. While I believe he is the next Tim Duncan.

Basically, him and Duncan have the same personnality (the similarities in their attitude and their way of behaving on and off the court are striking). Just like Duncan, Oden is a pure winner. A team-player who doesn't care about personnal glory. They are both very calm guys who play tough defense, obey their coaches, respect their teammates and never complain. Only difference is Oden is more athletic and more talented while TD has better offensive skills.

By the way, in case you didn't knew this, Tim Duncan has always been his idol as he always wanted to grow up and be like him.

Now I don't know if it's ever gonna be possible for us to get Oden (because I know very little about league rules concerning free agents, trades, CBA, contracts, etc) but somehow I keep seeing Oden in a spurs uniform because of the way he is. He loves to play defense and, like Duncan, doesn't like having too much media attention around him. I don't think he's ever going to be a star in this league (because of his personnality) but I do believe he will win championships and become one of the greatest basket-ball players ever.

Anyways, I'd like to know your ideas and your opinions. Is it possible? Am I the only one who believes he will end-up with the Spurs?

Shank
05-24-2007, 09:23 AM
No. Yes.

Corn on the Colb
05-24-2007, 09:26 AM
He is absolutely a winner. Since he's been in Middle School, Oden has won over 800 games and lost only 16! And since he set foot on his High School home court, he's NEVER lost a home game. Not one.

But as a player, I can't seeing him develop an offensive game as deep and polished as Duncan's. Perhaps a vendetta against each call that goes against him, a la Duncan, but not the offense. :D

SenorSpur
05-24-2007, 09:28 AM
I disagree to an extent. He'll be a star. Heck, Tim is a superstar - just one that flies below the national radar.

Guys like him and Duncan only come around once ever 10 years or so. His progress, work ethic and performance will be closely monitored.

The fact that Oden is going to a small market will help him do the same. It may be a benefit too. He will not face the unscrupulous daily progress reports he would face if he were playing on the east coast.

Never say never, but as long as he devlops into a formidable force and provided the team itself becomes a pereninal contender, he should be with Portland his entire career.

Mr. Body
05-24-2007, 09:31 AM
And he's only 54.

superfedja
05-24-2007, 09:35 AM
No. Yes.

Explain why.

Extra Stout
05-24-2007, 09:44 AM
If by "Spur" you actually mean "Trail Blazer," then sure. Hey, black and silver are two of their colors.

MrChug
05-24-2007, 09:44 AM
I did...but for some reason I don't think I would have ever thought about that if he didn't look like D-Rob (or D-Robs grandfather). If he looked like Greg Ostertag for instance, I would have never made the connection to be honest...