PDA

View Full Version : Wolves may shake up staff

ducks
05-24-2007, 09:21 AM
Wolves: Wittman gets interim tag removed
The Wolves made official what had been coming for weeks by signing their coach to a multiyear deal.

By Kent Youngblood, Star Tribune

Last update: May 23, 2007 – 8:34 PM

Randy Wittman is not ready to make specific promises about how the Timberwolves will play next fall. The reason? So much could change with the personnel on the team between now and then that Wittman wants to see exactly what he has before he makes any guarantees.
But there are fundamental issues that will be easier to construct from the season's beginning rather than on the fly. And that's a big reason why Wittman was so happy to finally sign a multiyear deal Wednesday to return as Wolves coach. The contract is believed to be for three seasons, although terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The interim label Wittman carried since being promoted from assistant to head coach on Jan. 23 following Dwane Casey's firing caused him all kinds of headaches. Leading the team from the start of training camp will be better.

"That was hard," Wittman said of last season, when he took over a 20-20 team and led it to a 12-30 finish (32-50 overall). "It was hard to actually incorporate all of what your beliefs are, taking over [at midseason] and trying to pick and choose what you're going to put in because of the time constraints. ... It's much easier when you start from the beginning, lay it on the line -- 'This is how we're going to play' -- and move forward."

Wittman will be among a group consulting with vice president of basketball operations Kevin McHale as the team begins preparing for the June 28 NBA draft, evaluating the free agent market and prepping for possible offseason trades.

But there are core values Wittman wants to instill: Success built on defense; an offense that stresses unselfish play; accountability.

"We'll go out and defend, and we'll do it on a consistent basis," Wittman said. "I like to, from an offensive standpoint, have some structure. But I want to be able to flow and play the game, reacting on what the [opponent] is doing rather than go so structured, have a more free-flowing offense."

McHale said a day after the season ended that he wanted Wittman to continue his third stint with the team, so Wednesday's announcement was not a surprise.

"He is the kind of coach who will demand an effort," McHale said. "He will be a guy who will push the players, and yet I think he's flexible enough that they'll enjoy playing for him. He will come in and give us good leadership."

Wittman, an NBA player for nine seasons, previously was a head coach for two seasons in Cleveland from 1999-2001, compiling a 62-102 record.

Wittman likely will be doing some tweaking of his assistant coaching staff. Wittman said Bob Ociepka and Rex Kalamian, still under contract, will be back. "We'll tweak it in terms of who is on the bench and who won't be with those two guys."

Vince Taylor has left to join Tubby Smith's staff at the University of Minnesota. Bob Thornton's contract has expired and it appears he will not be back. Aleksandar Dzikic could be reassigned, perhaps using his NBA experience in his native Europe. Advance scout Brent Haskins figures to return.

As far as additions to the staff, one possible assistant candidate could be former Wolves assistant Jerry Sichting, now with Marquette University, who has worked alongside Wittman in the past.

Kent Youngblood • [email protected]

Matt Millen
05-24-2007, 07:19 PM
i trust McHale. he is a good friend of mine