PDA

View Full Version : Penetration is key to Spurs' point binge

ducks
05-24-2007, 09:38 AM
Penetration is key to Spurs' point binge

By Tim Buckley
Deseret Morning News

If the Jazz learned anything from Tuesday's Western Conference finals Game 2 loss to San Antonio, it's that they need a better plan for keeping Spurs point guard Tony Parker from driving to the lane.

"A big key," San Antonio swingman Manu Ginobili said after the Spurs' 105-96 win, "was Tony just getting to the paint."
It was by design that Parker drove like a semi making up lost time.

And when he did, one of two things happened.

If Jazz point Deron Williams, who simply isn't quick enough to stay in front of the speedy Frenchman, didn't get any help, Parker simply took the ball to the basket. When Williams did get aid, it came from teammates who were too slow getting back into defensive position — leaving Spurs open in the corners to shoot 3s.

"Pop (Spurs coach Gregg Popovich) got onto him about ... knowing they are packing the lane in, and that are our shooters are going to be open," Spurs power forward Tim Duncan said.

They sure were.

San Antonio, in fact, hit 13-of-26 from long distance — a franchise playoffs record for made treys — and had Jazz coach Jerry Sloan bemoaning Utah's woes afterward.

"We haven't been able to keep people off the penetration," Sloan said. "We had a difficult time keeping them in front of us. ... The natural reaction is 'I've got to help inside' — and as soon as they do, they threw it to the corners."

If there is counter in Saturday's Game 3, it may what veteran Jazz shooting guard Derek Fisher pinpointed after Game 2.

"We have to stop penetration," Fisher said, "and help guys when they are beaten off the dribble ... (and) we have to do it in a way that allows us to get back to the shooters and close the gap a little bit more.

"What we really have to try to figure out is how to stop the penetration a little higher up on the floor, a little bit earlier, and not down in the paint, where if you go to help you don't have time to get back to the shooters.

"We have to try to slow the ball down at the point of attack," Fisher added, "and see if that will help us as far as staying a little bit closer to the shooters."

ROOM FOR REST: With three full days off between Games 2 and 3 — it's all about TV — there will be plenty of time for tinkering.

There's debate, though, as to whether or not that's a good thing — and it comes from within the Spurs camp.

"I've always felt that when there is a layoff, neither team likes it," Popovich said. "If you win the (previous) game, somehow you feel like if you have got a little momentum (and) you want to go play. If you lose the (previous) game, you feel miserable for longer — and you like to go play."

Spurs veteran Michael Finley sees things differently.

"Rest is good," Finley said. "It's good for everybody, both physically and mentally. We'll still be able to get in the gym the next couple days to work on our games, but at the same time it's always good to get away and come back rejuvenated."

HE SAID IT: Williams, on the Spurs: "You've got to pick your poison."

HE SAID IT II: Ginobili, on the Jazz: "Utah now is a different team than years ago. They are really good in transition and playing up-tempo."

HE SAID IT III: Sloan, on San Antonio's backdoor cuts: "We were totally lost. Our big people, their heads were spinning like a top."

NO DEBATE: It wasn't exactly a bold overture, but Jazz power forward Carlos Boozer did call out his teammates out a bit after his 33-point showing in Game 2.

"We know if we tighten up our defense a little bit more in Salt Lake, we should have a much better chance," Boozer said. "We just need a couple more guys to step up, give us a little bit more help."

That point was not exactly debated by veteran guard Derek Fisher, who shot 1-for-9 from the field Tuesday.

"We obviously need contributions from more of our guys, which will help," Fisher said. "Individually, the guys that are struggling — including myself — need to consciously make an effort to keep it going."

Mr. Body
05-24-2007, 09:39 AM
I really like penetration too.

T Park
05-24-2007, 09:41 AM
Game 3 is gonna be huge.

If the Spurs can just play smart, and play well the first 24 minutes, let it be close, or have a small lead at half, they can win the darn game.

Jimcs50
05-24-2007, 09:45 AM

anal?

too much information, dude.

picnroll
05-24-2007, 09:49 AM
"We know if we tighten up our defense a little bit more in Salt Lake" Boozer said

Was he looking in the mirror saying that?

T Park
05-24-2007, 09:51 AM
:lol @ picnroll

one play that just summed up their defense to me, was when parker threw the ball into Tim, and Boozer and Okur go to knock it away, tim gets it, sees he has a HUGE open lane to the basket, stands for a second like, "are they really letting me have this" and then lays it in, unassaulted.

I sat in my seat and shook my head, cause I had NEVER seen that in a western finals game like that, since 05 against Phoenix.

SAGambler
05-24-2007, 10:06 AM
"We obviously need contributions from more of our guys, which will help," Fisher said. "Individually, the guys that are struggling — including myself — need to consciously make an effort to keep it going."

While he is right, I think sometimes players that aren't haveing great games, sometimes put too much pressure on themselves to make it up. Especially in the playoffs.

I've felt since the beginning of the playoffs, that was what was wrong with Manu those few bad offensive games he went through. Thank the basketball gods he found his niche again.

peskypesky
05-24-2007, 10:38 AM
I sometimes get pissed at Parker for not driving to the hoop more...but then when I see the punishment he gets when he does, I can understand why he is hesitant at times.

Watch the slo-mo replays of his drives and you'll see him often getting whacked by 2 or 3 defenders...hit in the head, the face, the eyes...and often, no fouls are called. Same thing happens to Ginobili.

Parker and Ginobili have got to penetrate if the Spurs are going to win, but damn if they don't have to be tough muthas to keep doing it! I take my hat off to them.

Corn on the Colb
05-24-2007, 10:39 AM
Was he looking in the mirror saying that?

He damn sure better have been!

SpursIndonesia
05-24-2007, 11:00 AM
So, the conclusion is that Utah's backdoor is loose because of Spurs's penetration ? :lol

DDS4
05-24-2007, 11:24 AM
"What we really have to try to figure out is how to stop the penetration a little higher up on the floor, a little bit earlier, and not down in the paint, where if you go to help you don't have time to get back to the shooters.

Interesting how Van Gundy said during game 2 that the Utah defenders should collapse more in the lane so that Parker can't get into the paint as easily. Complete opposite.

41times
05-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Penetration is my key every day!

mavsfan1000
05-24-2007, 01:02 PM
You like getting it? :lmao

judaspriestess
05-24-2007, 01:32 PM
hehe, he said penetration.

nkdlunch
05-24-2007, 01:33 PM
"Penetration is key" - Eva Longoria

michaelwcho
05-24-2007, 01:41 PM
Yes, the Jazz players all need to take that pill that makes their feet move laterally faster so they can stay in front of people who are much quicker than them!