PDA

View Full Version : Are the Spurs looking for any big men this off season?

carib
05-24-2007, 10:28 AM
Are the Spurs looking for any big men this off season?

Is there any chance we can get Kevin Garnett?

Phenomanul
05-24-2007, 10:28 AM
Luis Scola

ATRAIN
05-24-2007, 10:30 AM
Although it would be AWESOME there is no way we could get KG. Imagine that though, 2 former league MVP's on the same team. Duncan in at Center and KG as PF......WOW.

VaSpursFan
05-24-2007, 10:33 AM
kg and timmy...wow. no way that will happen but it would be a beautiful thing if it did.

Corn on the Colb
05-24-2007, 10:34 AM
Although it would be AWESOME there is no way we could get KG. Imagine that though, 2 former league MVP's on the same team. Duncan in at Center and KG as PF......WOW.

It would be awesome, but what would you have to give up?

Surely Manu, if not Parker. Are you willing to do that? And since you'll most likely win a championship this year with the system you have in place, why change it?

Just my 2 cents. :D

Darkwaters
05-24-2007, 10:40 AM
Manu would have to go. And our first round picks for the next....4 years.

Darkwaters
05-24-2007, 10:41 AM

Theres a good chance that Ian Mahinmi will come over this year.

carib
05-24-2007, 10:42 AM
And since you'll most likely win a championship this year with the system you have in place, why change it?

Just my 2 cents. :D

There are 5 players on the Spurs that are questionable for next year’s roster, what can we get for them.

Matt Bonner,
Ely Melvin
Robert Horry
Beno Udrih
James White

Corn on the Colb
05-24-2007, 10:44 AM
There are 5 players on the Spurs that are questionable for next year’s roster, what can we get for them.

Matt Bonner,
Ely Melvin
Robert Horry
Beno Udrih
James White

I really like how Udrih plays, what's happened to him this year?

I liked watching him come in off the bench, why did Jacque Vaughn replace him? Let's hear it Spurs Fans.

50 cent
05-24-2007, 10:44 AM
No way Ian is ready to come over.

No way we get KG.

pad300
05-24-2007, 10:48 AM

Is there any chance we can get Kevin Garnett?

Not in 07/08

However, he does have an option in his contract for 08/09. He would be looking for a championship shot at that point, and he has all the money he'd ever need. He might pull a Finley/Payton/Malone and sign with a contender for the MLE...

carib
05-24-2007, 10:49 AM

I liked watching him come in off the bench, why did Jacque Vaughn replace him? Let's hear it Spurs Fans.

Better play handling skills, better pressure making decisions, and he can handle the press.

FromWayDowntown
05-24-2007, 10:51 AM

I'm sure that Pop would be happy to send Beno along to Utah, if he could just get the Jazz to increase their offer from a bag of balls and a water cooler to a bag of balls, a water cooler, and a gross of playoff t-shirts from either Oakland or Salt Lake City.

Vaughn plays because Vaughn defends relatively well (particularly in comparison to Beno) and because Vaughn can actually bring the ball up against pressure. Beno's long suit is his ability to hit jump shots, but a jump shooter who hits about 37% from the floor AND doesn't defend AND struggles to bring it up against pressure is generally going to lose time to a guy who's better in at least 2 of those categories. It was Beno's job to lose -- and he lost it.

Corn on the Colb
05-24-2007, 10:51 AM
Better play handling skills, better pressure making decisions, and he can handle the press.

Thanks, I was wondering that all year.

I liked to see Beno play, but having been through Jacque Vaughn's time with the Jazz, it's cool to see him 'make it' somewhere else as well. Good guy, works hard, good spell minutes for the starting PG.

MoSpur
05-24-2007, 10:52 AM
Ely is a free agent after this year. I don't think the Spurs will re-sign him. I might be wrong.

velik_m

Injury prone, bad work ethic/non-competitive nature, turnover machine.

Beno and Spurs are done. It was clear a year ago. I don't know why they extended him, hopeless optimism i guess.

He'll do better in another club or in Europe.

Corn on the Colb
I'm sure that Pop would be happy to send Beno along to Utah, if he could just get the Jazz to increase their offer from a bag of balls and a water cooler to a bag of balls, a water cooler, and a gross of playoff t-shirts from either Oakland or Salt Lake City.

Vaughn plays because Vaughn defends relatively well (particularly in comparison to Beno) and because Vaughn can actually bring the ball up against pressure. Beno's long suit is his ability to hit jump shots, but a jump shooter who hits about 37% from the floor AND doesn't defend AND struggles to bring it up against pressure is generally going to lose time to a guy who's better in at least 2 of those categories. It was Beno's job to lose -- and he lost it.

I'm sure the Jazz are fine without him (with Fish and Brown as our backup PG's).

But even if we were to trade for him, I think we're giving up too much in the deal you mentioned. :D

stéphane
05-24-2007, 10:54 AM
Theres a good chance that Ian Mahinmi will come over this year.
Ian isn't even a starter in Pau, he would be useless in SA.
But next year he'll get more PT because of the changes that are going to happen in his team... No more US starting five or kinda... and bye bye Herbert aswell...

Shred
05-24-2007, 10:57 AM
KG to Phoenix for Marion, Diaw, picks & detritus.

velik_m
05-24-2007, 11:02 AM
I think maybe Javtokas would be more prepared to sign LLE this year, after sitting on the Panathinaikos bench for most of the year. He would be a great backup C.

ATRAIN
05-24-2007, 11:05 AM
KG to Phoenix for Marion, Diaw, picks & detritus.

Damn that would be scary, but do you think Amare would bow down to KG.....prob not?

stéphane
05-24-2007, 11:07 AM
I think maybe Javtokas would be more prepared to sign LLE this year, after sitting on the Panathinaikos bench for most of the year. He would be a great backup C.

hehe guess why ^^.
sure the panat is a great team but Javtokas isn't geting anywhere sitting most of the time the WHOLE game...
not a spurs material imo
Scola is way ahead talent wise... no questions here.

Darkwaters
05-24-2007, 11:09 AM
No way Ian is ready to come over.

No way we get KG.

I didn't say that he would be ready. Just that he might come over. Hes not really developing much over there right now.

Bruno
05-24-2007, 11:15 AM
Ian isn't even a starter in Pau, he would be useless in SA.
But next year he'll get more PT because of the changes that are going to happen in his team... No more US starting five or kinda... and bye bye Herbert aswell...

and bye bye Mahinmi.

Things can change but for the moment Pau is building their team for next year and Mahinmi isn't a part of it.

Gummi
05-24-2007, 11:26 AM
IMO the big men that will return to the Spurs next season for sure are Duncan, Oberto, and Horry. I think that Elson is a question mark. Oberto has replaced him in the starting lineup and is playing very well. Elson has been playing less and less since the playoffs started and he's been horrible in the playoffs so far.

Butler is also a question mark. His work ethic has been questioned by Pop so he's probably on his way out. He's still young and pretty raw. He could turn out to be a nice player, but I'm not sure he will on the Spurs.

Ely is gone IMO. He's not going to play much for the Spurs in the near future and I'm sure he wants more then the league minimum even though he's not worth more then that.

Bonner is a nice player but with Horry still on the team his minutes won't be many. I think the Spurs will pass on re-signing him. I wouldn't mind having him next season but he probably wants over $3 million a year and I'm sure the Spurs won't go that high.

The Spurs will most likely bring Ian Mahinmi over from France and hopefully they'll bring Scola over as well. I've been waiting for two years now to see him play for the Spurs. He has proven himself in Europe and now it's time for him to take the step over the pond. Even if it costs the Spurs most of their mid-level it's worth it IMO.

J.T.
05-24-2007, 11:37 AM
I don't think the Spurs will let Ely go in the offseason. They tried to trade for him before and couldn't, so I don't see why they would've traded for him just to keep the pine warm for the players on the active roster.

ATRAIN
05-24-2007, 11:38 AM
IMO the big men that will return to the Spurs next season for sure are Duncan, Oberto, and Horry. I think that Elson is a question mark. Oberto has replaced him in the starting lineup and is playing very well. Elson has been playing less and less since the playoffs started and he's been horrible in the playoffs so far.

Butler is also a question mark. His work ethic has been questioned by Pop so he's probably on his way out. He's still young and pretty raw. He could turn out to be a nice player, but I'm not sure he will on the Spurs.

Ely is gone IMO. He's not going to play much for the Spurs in the near future and I'm sure he wants more then the league minimum even though he's not worth more then that.

Bonner is a nice player but with Horry still on the team his minutes won't be many. I think the Spurs will pass on re-signing him. I wouldn't mind having him next season but he probably wants over $3 million a year and I'm sure the Spurs won't go that high.

The Spurs will most likely bring Ian Mahinmi over from France and hopefully they'll bring Scola over as well. I've been waiting for two years now to see him play for the Spurs. He has proven himself in Europe and now it's time for him to take the step over the pond. Even if it costs the Spurs most of their mid-level it's worth it IMO.

I wonder if James WHite will stay and make the roster next year?

J.T.
05-24-2007, 11:41 AM
Spurs letting James White go after this offseason will be like Portland passing on Jordan.

MoSpur
05-24-2007, 11:43 AM
Spurs letting James White go after this offseason will be like Portland passing on Jordan.

That's a little overboard don't you think?

td4mvp21
05-24-2007, 11:44 AM
I don't know if they are, but they desperately need a bruiser-type center. I'm hoping this deep playoff run won't result in cheap ass centers that can't rebound well or score, much less play defense. I'm afraid that our management will once again think everything is alright with our frontcourt.

Corn on the Colb
05-24-2007, 11:47 AM
That's a little overboard don't you think?

Not in terms of dunking talent.

Everything else, yeah.

SAGambler
05-24-2007, 11:50 AM

JMO, but Pop ruined him with the Van Exel experiment last year. Beno lost all confidence, and has never seemed to regain it. I always thought Beno had one of the sweetest shots on the court, and even Pop says he is a great passer.

He got in the doghouse by getting trapped and turning over the ball in the 05 Finals. It was downhill after that for Beno.

I still think if he had been handled right, he would be a hell of a back up to Tony right now.

SAGambler
05-24-2007, 11:54 AM

Too much upside on White for the Spurs to turn loose of him. Don't know if he can be compared to Jordan, but the kid is definitly a keeper.

SenorSpur
05-24-2007, 12:37 PM
Ely is a free agent after this year. I don't think the Spurs will re-sign him. I might be wrong.

Personally, I'd like to see whether Ely can actually play here next season or not. At this point, he's certainly more seasoned than Butler, but I don't know how much.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-24-2007, 12:44 PM

Matt Bonner,
Ely Melvin
Robert Horry
Beno Udrih
James White

KG
Lebron
Wade
and Nash

We're set. Seriously, does no one understand what a salary cap is, much less reality?

itzsoweezee
05-24-2007, 12:48 PM
please just bring in scola! scola, manu, and oberto - another great trio for the spurs. what a lineup this would be: duncan, scola, oberto, parker, bowen, ginobili, draft pick/james white. the offense could be completely unstoppable.

picnroll
05-24-2007, 12:51 PM
and bye bye Mahinmi.

Things can change but for the moment Pau is building their team for next year and Mahinmi isn't a part of it.
Does that mean that after a year Pau was not that impressed with Mahinmi?

naico
05-24-2007, 12:57 PM
Butler needs to work harder..Im a wrong or did he just put on some weight again..saw him after the game against the jazz and even with a lot of clothes on he looked kinda fat again..

50 cent
05-24-2007, 12:58 PM
JMO, but Pop ruined him with the Van Exel experiment last year. Beno lost all confidence, and has never seemed to regain it. I always thought Beno had one of the sweetest shots on the court, and even Pop says he is a great passer.
If Beno is that big of a pussy and can't get over something that stupid, he shouldn't be in the NBA.

What I'm basically saying is: Beno shouldn't be in the NBA. :lol

50 cent
05-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Also, I don't think we will ever see Scola or Javkotas in a Spurs uniform. Spurs fans just need to accept that and move on.

A.H 21-50
05-24-2007, 01:30 PM
i don't see the spurs letting white and butler go
both show nice things during the end of the season

butler is a project and it might take another year to see him in the rotation

also i think SAS will make some changes inside , Oberto will probably stay but bringing scola maybe or make a trade for a C or PF

For Mahinmi it looks like the spurs wants to let him one more yaer in an Euro Team as i saw him in a french newspaper

ATRAIN
05-24-2007, 01:33 PM
What position does Scola play?

michaelwcho
05-24-2007, 01:36 PM

This Sam Bowie over Jordan has become a bit of an urban legend. If you read this article, you'll see that it wasn't a dumb pick at the time.

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/bowie.html

nkdlunch
05-24-2007, 01:38 PM
What position does Scola play?

he's PF in europe

but here he could play SF, PF, C(supersmallball)

ATRAIN
05-24-2007, 01:40 PM
This Sam Bowie over Jordan has become a bit of an urban legend. If you read this article, you'll see that it wasn't a dumb pick at the time.

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/bowie.html

Nice.......very interesting.

AnkleBreaker21
05-24-2007, 01:41 PM
d-rob is comin back, i'll take him over kg any day

Darkwaters
05-24-2007, 01:44 PM
he's PF in europe

but here he could play SF, PF, C(supersmallball)

No way. He'll ONLY be a PF. Hes not nearly quick enough to play the 3 and has some serious height and length problems to play the 5 (not to mention defense). Hes pretty much JUST a 4. Which means to start him Duncan would have to either roll over to the 5 or not be on the team. Hmmm....

Bruno
05-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Does that mean that after a year Pau was not that impressed with Mahinmi?

It can means a lot of things :
- Mahinmi will play for SA next year
- Pau not happy with Mahinmi
- Mahinmi playing for another team in europe next year because Pau doesn't play the euroleague next year.
- Pau not sure about Mahinmi future and working with the worst case (Mahinmi leaving).

If Pau's president do this offseason what he has said to the french press, Mahinmi won't be with Pau next year.

Darkwaters
05-24-2007, 02:32 PM

James White!

ChumpDumper
05-24-2007, 02:52 PM
For all our talk, it could be just as possible that we stay put for another year -- maybe just letting Ely go and signing Ian to play in the valley.

I like all our big guys for one reason or another, but with the exception of Duncan they are all expendable if a good deal comes around.

Spurminator
05-24-2007, 02:58 PM
Any chance we take a flyer on Glen Davis in the second round? I know people think he's too short to be an NBA bigman, but we've heard that about others before.

picnroll
05-24-2007, 03:05 PM
For all our talk, it could be just as possible that we stay put for another year -- maybe just letting Ely go and signing Ian to play in the valley.

I like all our big guys for one reason or another, but with the exception of Duncan they are all expendable if a good deal comes around.
So no going after Justin Williams?

ChumpDumper
05-24-2007, 03:07 PM
So no going after Justin Williams?He is currently property of the Kings; pencil him in as a restricted free agent unless something changes. It'll be interesting to see if there is any bidding over him this summer.

ChumpDumper
05-24-2007, 03:21 PM
Any chance we take a flyer on Glen Davis in the second round? I know people think he's too short to be an NBA bigman, but we've heard that about others before.I have too many doubts about his height and weight. I think I'd play it safe with a guy like Herbert Hill if I had a choice of big men at that point in the draft.

jag
05-24-2007, 03:37 PM
i havent seen a whole lot of james white...what's his game like, and what's impressive about him???????????

ChumpDumper
05-24-2007, 03:54 PM
The things that are impressive about White are his defense and his athleticism. He doesn't use his talents to their full effect on offense yet, but he is our current Bowen replacement project.

If it comes down to trading White to get something else though, I nominate Austin's Justin Bowen to be our "new" Bowen. He was putting up comparable numbers to White as a starter for the Toros at the end of the season, is almost as good a defender, a far superior rebounder and impressively high-energy player.

carib
05-24-2007, 04:26 PM
The Spurs look great today, but after they win the Championship this year, I would like to see 3 more out of 5, but we must make some changes this off season.

It might be hard to repeat with the team we have.