PDA

View Full Version : Trade idea for a PG this summer

twilo73
05-24-2007, 11:30 AM
Could we package Scola, Beno and our pick to NJ for Marcus Williams and their pick?

It would give us a quality PG with upside and the ability to get a better SF or SG.

hater
05-24-2007, 11:32 AM
OMG, HELLL NO

Marcus Williams sucks more than Beno. didn't you see the playoffs!??!?!?

I say fuck no to that idea.

Mr. Body
05-24-2007, 11:37 AM
The key to this is "and their pick".

NJN doesn't do the first part. Marcus Williams>Beno Udrih.

Second part is Luis Scola + 28 for 17, and that may be a decent possibility.

SAGambler
05-24-2007, 11:40 AM
I do hope we pick up a good rotation PG for Tony. I don't know why, but Vaughn just scares the shit out of me when he's on the floor. I just keep holding my breath, hoping against hope he doesn't screw something up.

J.T.
05-24-2007, 11:40 AM
I'd rather make a trade with someone who has a higher pick and use that pick on Acie Law. Backup PG problems solved.. Plus, the post-Duncan era looks nice with this lineup.

Parker
Law
White
Scola/Mahinmi
Javtokas

Darkwaters
05-24-2007, 11:43 AM
I'd rather make a trade with someone who has a higher pick and use that pick on Acie Law. Backup PG problems solved.. Plus, the post-Duncan era looks nice with this lineup.

Parker
Law
White
Scola/Mahinmi
Javtokas

No Butler? :depressed

rascal
05-24-2007, 11:44 AM
New Jersey likes Marcus Williams. Your offer is not good enough. They would not want your offer.

NJ will try to trade Kidd before they get rid of Williams.

Mr. Body
05-24-2007, 11:48 AM

Parker
Law
White
Scola/Mahinmi
Javtokas

That's an ugly-ass lineup. At least two of those guys can barely play NBA ball, much less be starters.

We don't need to sell all our assets for Acie Law. We don't need him at that price.

Dro210
05-24-2007, 03:08 PM
Aaron Brooks.... Pick #33.... Book it!

I wouldn't mind seein a Rodney Stuckey, Sean Singletary, or Taurian Green either. Stuckey would probably have to be with the #28 pick, but I want Brandon Rush with that pick... Singletary and Green are gonna be borderline on being available at #58, but they would for sure be availiable at 33 if Brooks isn't still there

and New Jersey would never take that trade

mardigan
05-24-2007, 03:23 PM
Just sign Chucky ATkins or Steve Blake in the offseason

violentkitten
05-24-2007, 03:28 PM
picking up law with minimal value given up would be sweet.

AFBlue
05-24-2007, 03:31 PM
I'm really warming to the idea of a combo guard versus a traditional point guard to fill the backup role. Let's face it, Tony will eat 35-38 minutes a game on the court...so it doesn't make much sense to make that kind of investment (future draft picks, draft rights to good players, etc.) to grab a guy that will play only limited minutes...

Rather, grab a combo guard like Pruitt or Stuckey who can steal time at the SG position behind Ginobili...especially after Barry/Finley likely depart next summer.

AFBlue
05-24-2007, 03:33 PM
picking up law with minimal value given up would be sweet.

Won't happen though...Law is likely to go in the late-lottery to late-teens. In order for the Spurs to move up that far they'd likely have to give up Scola and maybe more....is that worth it for a guy who will play 10-12mpg?

I don't think so...but that's my opinion.

AFBlue
05-24-2007, 03:35 PM
Just sign Chucky ATkins or Steve Blake in the offseason

I see this as the more likely scenario. If the Spurs bring Scola over and use half of the MLE, they would likely use the other half to bring in a veteran PG looking for the ring (like Atkins or <<fingers crossed>> Knight) with part or all of the other half. It would preclude the Spurs from guaranteeing money past next year and solve the back up PG problems.

El_Mago
05-24-2007, 03:38 PM
I would like the Spurs to somehow land Brevin Knight.

ChumpDumper
05-24-2007, 03:42 PM
I like the big point guards available in the draft this year, and it's not out of the realm of possibility to move up a few slots to get one of them. If we do get one of those guys (all very young) we'd have to get rid of Beno and get another vet like Vaughn this season in case they suck.

violentkitten
05-24-2007, 03:46 PM
Won't happen though...Law is likely to go in the late-lottery to late-teens. In order for the Spurs to move up that far they'd likely have to give up Scola and maybe more....is that worth it for a guy who will play 10-12mpg?

I don't think so...but that's my opinion.

law keeps inching down the mocks i've watched. i'm not sure you will have to give up that much to nab him. there is also the possibility with the fear of the lux tax monster that is prevalent in today's nba that someone will want to trade out of the first round.

Big P
05-24-2007, 03:48 PM
I dont think the Spurs should use Scola to get a PG..use him to land a SF if anything...like the other posters said, just sign Atkins or resign Vaughn for the minimum & keep Scola to facilitate a trade to get a player of a position that fills a need.

DarrinS
05-24-2007, 03:49 PM
Aren't there any good PG's in the draft.

jag
05-24-2007, 03:54 PM
i would love to see Acie playing for the spurs, but too many teams in the draft are looking at him. he will probably end up being an allstar in the next 5 years, he has that kind of potential....sorry, but no teams are gonna give that up

mardigan
05-24-2007, 04:12 PM
Aren't there any good PG's in the draft.
Not any where the SPurs will be drafting. You could grab one later in the draft, like maybe a Stuckey, but to think that we would get a point later in the draft and expect him to contribute on a world class team is a little far feched. I like Tonys idea of maybe taking some sort of combo guard, as there will be plenty available in the draft, but even then, how much can we really count on a rookie? I would much rather see them pick up a vet like Atkins or Knight, and then draft for the most pressing need.

AFBlue
05-24-2007, 04:22 PM
Not any where the SPurs will be drafting. You could grab one later in the draft, like maybe a Stuckey, but to think that we would get a point later in the draft and expect him to contribute on a world class team is a little far feched. I like Tonys idea of maybe taking some sort of combo guard, as there will be plenty available in the draft, but even then, how much can we really count on a rookie? I would much rather see them pick up a vet like Atkins or Knight, and then draft for the most pressing need.

To the point of rookie contribution....

With all of the veterans on this team at critical positions, it's tough to see how any rookie drafted at any position will have an impact this year. I think when the Spurs look at this draft they will be projecting to fill a need in 08, and just looking to add the best "talent" in their view at those first two spots....

We can honestly deliberate for days about who we would take at those two spots and what the most pressing needs are...but in the end, the Spurs have their own idea about who they like.

I'm not tapped into the organization, but based on past decisions I'm guessing they'll at least target one international guy...whether that be Fernandez, Belinelli, Koponen, etc. (Fernandez would be sweet!)

El_Mago
05-24-2007, 04:24 PM
The Sixers have 3 picks in the 1st round.

One of those is lottery, the other is the 21st, and the last is the 30th.

If the Spurs can package something to get maybe the 21st....players like Thad Young, Marco Belinelli, Rudy Fernandez, Rodney Stuckey, Petteri Koponen, etc...should be available.

We have made moves with the Sixers before in the draft, and the Sixers have claimed that they are looking at all options with their picks, so who knows?

mardigan
05-24-2007, 04:26 PM
To the point of rookie contribution....

With all of the veterans on this team at critical positions, it's tough to see how any rookie drafted at any position will have an impact this year. I think when the Spurs look at this draft they will be projecting to fill a need in 08, and just looking to add the best "talent" in their view at those first two spots....

We can honestly deliberate for days about who we would take at those two spots and what the most pressing needs are...but in the end, the Spurs have their own idea about who they like.

I'm not tapped into the organization, but based on past decisions I'm guessing they'll at least target one international guy...whether that be Fernandez, Belinelli, Koponen, etc. (Fernandez would be sweet!)
Totally agree. I think the SPurs can really draft for best available this year with the age they have at some spots. Fernandez is the shit, and I would love to see him slip to the Spurs. Belinelli is one of my favorite players in this years draft, closest thing to Manu I have seen in awhile, but I cant see him falling that far. I do wonder though if someone the Spurs really like is still on the board close to their pick, if they would be willing to trade up.

mardigan
05-24-2007, 04:28 PM
The Sixers have 3 picks in the 1st round.

One of those is lottery, the other is the 21st, and the last is the 30th.

If the Spurs can package something to get maybe the 21st....players like Thad Young, Marco Belinelli, Rudy Fernandez, Rodney Stuckey, Petteri Koponen, etc...should be available.

We have made moves with the Sixers before in the draft, and the Sixers have claimed that they are looking at all options with their picks, so who knows?
The Sixers also have expressed intrest in Beno before, and they desperately need another point, so they could be a trade partner.

dg7md
05-24-2007, 04:30 PM
I say bring on Chucky Atkins. Not a great player and he gets a little shot happy, but he gets on fire often, and we don't need a rookie to develop as a PG since Parker will be suited for the job for a while.

Now, we should draft a young SF or at the very least a taller SG, that simple, and work them into the system. Manu has ~3 years, Finley and Barry both less I think.

J.T.
05-24-2007, 04:37 PM
No Butler? :depressed

Butler could be in that lineup. He's young and has a lot of potential. I'm kind of depressed that he didn't get much PT this year, considering Elson isn't the greatest center around. Next year I think he should get a few starts and see how he does backing up Fab. I don't think there's any doubt that Fab has earned the starting job next season unless we pull a trade for a better big man.

That's an ugly-ass lineup. At least two of those guys can barely play NBA ball, much less be starters.

We don't need to sell all our assets for Acie Law. We don't need him at that price.

I did say post-Duncan era, so that gives guys like Law, Butler and White to mature into their NBA careers, and time for the international prospects to finally get over here. I didn't mean for next season.

Darkwaters
05-24-2007, 06:02 PM
Unless Acie Law is found guilty of dog fighting or something I really see no way that we draft him.

ChumpDumper
05-24-2007, 06:06 PM
I'm calling it now. We're totally going to sign Smush Parker.

The opportunity to prove Bob Hill AND Phil Jackson wrong at once is too tempting.

ShoogarBear
05-24-2007, 06:34 PM
I'm just not sold on Acie Law as an NBA point guard.

El_Mago
05-24-2007, 06:37 PM
Dream Picks: Rudy Fernandez and Thad Young.