PDA

View Full Version : Nocioni Pulls Out of FIBA Tournament

spurschick
05-24-2007, 11:31 AM
May 24 - Andres Nocioni has ruled himself out of the FIBA Americas Championship due to injury.

The 27-year-old sent a letter to the Argentinian Basketball Confederation (CABB) on Wednesday confirming his unavailability for the August 22 to September 2 tournament in Las Vegas.

He revealed "this damn sole (plantar) fasciitis I've been carrying for some months" has not fully healed.

Nocioni went on to say the Bulls medical staff decided he should immobilize his right foot for up to seven weeks. -- FIBA.com

Trainwreck2100
05-24-2007, 11:52 AM
looks like the Argentinian team is pulling an America and not sending their best players to qualifiers. 1 win and they think they the shit.

ducks
05-24-2007, 12:13 PM
Nocioni has been injured all season
he is also a fa
smart move on his part

v2freak
05-24-2007, 04:52 PM
looks like the Argentinian team is pulling an America and not sending their best players to qualifiers. 1 win and they think they the shit.

Are you sure that's why they're not sending their best players?

ducks
05-27-2007, 11:41 PM
Nocioni angry over withdrawal from Argentina

May 24, 2007
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (Ticker) - First, the San Antonio Spurs duo of Manu Ginobili and Fabricio Oberto revealed they would not play for Argentina at the FIBA Americas Championship. They were followed by Walter Herrmann of the Charlotte Bobcats.

Now the South Americans have received a fourth blow ahead of the Olympic qualifying tournament in Las Vegas with a foot injury forcing Andres Nocioni of the Chicago Bulls to rule himself out.

Nocioni, a key man in the gold medal win at the Athens Olympics two years ago, made the announcement in a letter published on Argentina basketball's federation web site.

ADVERTISEMENT

"This (darn) sole (plantar) fasciitis I've been carrying for some months has not fully healed," he said.

Nocioni went on to say the Bulls medical staff decided he should immobilize his right foot for up to seven weeks.

"I cannot explain how angry I am," Nocioni said. "Since making my debut in the national team, I have never been absent from any nomination and I did not want to be absent now.

"So, that's what I said to (Argentina coach Sergio) Hernandez and anyone else who asked me about this. Unfortunately, this treacherous injury was worse."

Argentina's star-studded group in Athens three years ago looked like a team that might dominate international competition for several years, but it hasn't proved to be the case.

An Argentina B team competed at the FIBA Americas Championship in 2005 with the country, by virtue of the Olympic title, having already booked a place at the FIBA World Championship.

Then in Japan last summer, the bulk of the Olympic team gathered again and came within one Nocioni 3-pointer of playing for the world title.

Nocioni's shot from the right corner in the last seconds of the semifinal against Spain bounced off the rim, and the Spanish advanced to the title game where they destroyed Greece.

Argentina lost to the United States in the bronze medal game.

Now the national team will do well just to make it to Beijing.

"I wanted to send these lines to you because I don't want to be involved in any speculation, as during this process too many words have been badly used," Nocioni said.

"Trust me - if I haven't had this injury, I would have joined you as always, wearing the national shirt proudly."

Only the top two sides in Las Vegas will clinch automatic places in China.

Teams that finish third, fourth and fifth will still have a chance to make it to Beijing by taking part in the World Olympic Qualifying tournament a month before the Summer Games.

Ginobili did not want to miss the event, and made it clear that advice from the Spurs that he should skip the event did impact his decision.

As for Argentina's chances, this team will still have star quality with power forward Luis Scola the undisputed leader of the team, and Unicaja Malaga playmaker Pepe Sanchez, a veteran for the national side.

They will be supported by Scola's Tau Ceramica teammate, point guard Pablo Prigioni, and longtime national team center Ruben Wolkowisky of BC Khimki and Detroit Pistons guard Carlos Delfino. But a unit without Ginobili, Nocioni, Oberto and Herrmann does not look nearly as formidable.

Nocioni is still upbeat about Argentina's chances.

"Beyond the pain of being absent, I know Sergio and all the other fellas will achieve the goal and we'll be defending what we achieved in Athens in one year's time," Nocioni said.

"The only thing I want is for you to reserve a place for me, because I've always been, I am and I will always be part of the national team."

Trainwreck2100
05-28-2007, 12:02 AM
Are you sure that's why they're not sending their best players?

yeah, who are buying these "injuries" Plantar Faciitis? Tim Duncan played a whole season on that.

v2freak
05-28-2007, 01:29 AM
Fair enough

Bruno
05-28-2007, 10:30 AM
yeah, who are buying these "injuries" Plantar Faciitis? Tim Duncan played a whole season on that.

There is more than one grade of PF.
Nocioni has missed 25 games this season because of his PF and was horrible when he came back for the playoffs.
It's not a fake injury, Nocioni really need some rest.