PDA

View Full Version : Palm Treo 755

MoSpur
05-24-2007, 12:30 PM
I am currently w/Nextel and I am thinking of getting the Apple Iphone, but would have to terminate my contract w/Nextel to do so. That would cost me $150 or $175 per line. Then I would have to come up with $599 to buy the new Iphone. That will come out to costing me about $900 or so just to do this.

However, I can switch to Sprint w/out having to pay any termination fees. The only phone I like over on the Sprint side is the latest phone that just came out, which is the Palm Treo 755. That phone is abou half the cost of an Iphone @ $279.99. I am wondering if any of you have or have had the previous Palm Treo 700 and what you think of them. Are they really worth it? Please give your honest opinions. Thanks in advance. Here is a picture of the latest Palm Treo 755 in case any of you are curious.

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/05/IMG_8670WM.JPG

SpursWoman
05-24-2007, 12:35 PM
I've had my 650 for about a year and a half....and I absolutely love it (still) and I use it for everything.

My only complaint is that my internet is kind of slow, but apparently it's a lot better in the newer models. Even being pretty slow, I can still post in the forum on it. :lol

I highly recommend it ... I'll probably upgrade mine in October. :)

MoSpur
05-24-2007, 12:47 PM
Thanks SW. I heard on the 755 you can surf the net pretty quick.

Fillmoe
05-24-2007, 12:53 PM
does sprint offer the 8800?

http://www.rimarkable.com/images/indigo_02.jpg

MoSpur
05-24-2007, 01:00 PM
I don't think they do. Why?

SequSpur
05-24-2007, 01:08 PM
The 700WX rocks.

batman2883
05-24-2007, 01:09 PM
what service does the iphone operate under?

MoSpur
05-24-2007, 01:25 PM
what service does the iphone operate under?

Apple sold the rights to the Iphone exclusively to Cingular for five years.

maxpower
05-24-2007, 01:36 PM
The 700P is great.

I don't know that it is comparable to the iphone...it's probably as similar or as different as an imac is to a pc.

However as a workhorse, it can do just about anything you want. I can stream media from my pc using orb.

I can listen to internet radio anywhere(Dallas Ticket).

I can carry video and music on sd cards.

I like the lack of the antenna on the 755.

I would go with the Palm version. It is more stable than the windows version.

MoSpur
05-24-2007, 01:42 PM
I appreciate the info Max. I heard Samsung was coming out with a 8g SD card for mobile phones. I don't know when, but that will help other cell phones compete with the Iphone when it comes to storing media.

leemajors
05-24-2007, 02:05 PM
I appreciate the info Max. I heard Samsung was coming out with a 8g SD card for mobile phones. I don't know when, but that will help other cell phones compete with the Iphone when it comes to storing media.
iPhone may be available in 8GB and 16GB when it ships. No current phones support SD cards over 2GB anyway. you would have to buy a new Samsung phone if that were true.

EDIT: NM, some newer phones can use SDHC cards, like some of the newer Treos.

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-24-2007, 02:12 PM
A certain redneck poster's girlfriend is supposed to be getting it and giving me a review, but from what she initially told me, the 755 is pretty bad ass.

I'm probably going to get it too, hopefully by the end of the summer.

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-24-2007, 02:13 PM
As far as SD for the 755 goes, they've changed it (though I'm not sure which latest Treo had it first) to MicroSD.

MoSpur
05-24-2007, 02:15 PM
I thought the Iphones will be available in 4GB and 8GB models. I never heard of it being available in 16GB model. If so, that would be crazy.

leemajors
05-24-2007, 02:17 PM
As far as SD for the 755 goes, they've changed it (though I'm not sure which latest Treo had it first) to MicroSD.

in that case, i've never seen anything larger than 2GB in a microSD. it's what i have in my razr v.3xx. i'm sure it won't be long till 4GB is readily available though.

leemajors
05-24-2007, 02:18 PM
I thought the Iphones will be available in 4GB and 8GB models. I never heard of it being available in 16GB model. If so, that would be crazy.

the technology is readily available, but we'll find out in the next month.

MoSpur
05-24-2007, 02:22 PM
The only thing I don't like is that the Iphone doesn't come with an option to replace the battery. You'll only be able to charge the battery on that particular phone. If I am at work and watching a movie on it or listening to music, I better have a car charger to charge up that phone if I want to use it. I know it sounds petty, but those are things I will take into account if I am going to spend that much on a phone.

leemajors
05-24-2007, 02:34 PM
The only thing I don't like is that the Iphone doesn't come with an option to replace the battery. You'll only be able to charge the battery on that particular phone. If I am at work and watching a movie on it or listening to music, I better have a car charger to charge up that phone if I want to use it. I know it sounds petty, but those are things I will take into account if I am going to spend that much on a phone.

if you have any iPod car accessories, i would imagine the thing will have a dock connector and you could use it to charge.

MoSpur
05-24-2007, 02:40 PM
True. I have a charge for my ipod. It works on all ipod models. So you're probably right.

SpursWoman
05-24-2007, 03:11 PM
A certain redneck poster's girlfriend is supposed to be getting it and giving me a review, but from what she initially told me, the 755 is pretty bad ass.

I'm probably going to get it too, hopefully by the end of the summer.

My sister-in-law destroyed her 650, literally, and they replaced it with this one (protection plan).

I'm seriously considering sync'ing all of my info to my PC and then running over it with my car for the $50 deductible on the replacement. :lol :angel

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-24-2007, 03:13 PM
My sister-in-law destroyed her 650, literally, and they replaced it with this one (protection plan).

I'm seriously considering sync'ing all of my info to my PC and then running over it with my car for the $50 deductible on the replacement. :lol :angel

I would do the same, but I forgot to sign up for it.

Plus, my plan is pretty good, so I don't want to change it (so I can't get the extra rebates on a new phone).

Fillmoe
05-24-2007, 03:16 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KMu-kgtCyfs

KEDA
05-24-2007, 05:23 PM
Megan has had her 755 for a few days and she loves it.

it does have EVDO which is damn quick on the internet, it also uses the mini SD card.

I traded my Treo 650 for the Motorola Q which also has EVDO, and I love it. Its super thin which I like and the scroll wheel is a nice touch, I just wish it had a touchscreen. Also the battery sucks if you keep the bluetooth on, but there is a software update to fix that.

KEDA
05-24-2007, 05:24 PM

just make sure you have the insurance on your phone!

KEDA
05-24-2007, 05:26 PM
does sprint offer the 8800?

http://www.rimarkable.com/images/indigo_02.jpg

Megan says that every Blackberry they sell comes back with some kind of problem.

My D M has his go down about once a month or so as well.

Blackberrys in general are pieces of crap, the idea is cool, but the reliability is shitty.

SpursWoman
05-24-2007, 06:26 PM
just make sure you have the insurance on your phone!

I do. :lol

ShoogarBear
05-24-2007, 06:29 PM
I have a Treo 700p with Spring.

It's good, but there are some very annoying bugs which are well documented:
-the Bluetooth sucks, very unreliable
-it has a tendency to hang when switchign between programs
-the headphone jack is notoriously flimsy, and when it goes out it prevents all audio from working unless you know how to do a specific software fix

Supposedly there's a firmware update which we've been waiting for several weeks which will fix at least some of the bugs.

I'm interested in knowing whether these problems have been obviated in the 755.

One of the best sites I've found for Treo info is: www.treocentral.com. They have some reviews of the 755 there.

KEDA
05-24-2007, 07:21 PM
the bluetooth has been fixed, and there is a protective door to make sure the mini SD doesn't fall out like my 1gb did with my Treo 650

MoSpur
05-25-2007, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the website Shoog. Thanks to KEDA as well on the opinion. I think I might just go w/the Treo 755.

SAtoDallas
05-29-2007, 03:30 PM
I have a 700WX Sprint service I think it sux, but I don't like gadgets too much.

Marcus Bryant
05-29-2007, 04:02 PM
I have had the 700w for about a year. For the most part it's been reliable.

scott
05-29-2007, 04:12 PM
Never had a single problem with my BlackBerry, don't know what the hell Keda is talking about... go with a Berry.