PDA

View Full Version : LeBron is not a clutch player

jmard5
05-24-2007, 10:01 PM
Too tentative on the last 2 possessions and waiting for the refs to bail him out.

StylisticS
05-24-2007, 10:02 PM
but he has every right to be pissed right now. he was fouled at least 3 times on that last possession.

td4mvp3
05-24-2007, 10:03 PM
but he has every right to be pissed right now. he was fouled at least 3 times on that last possession.
amen.

Kobulingam
Too tentative on the last 2 possessions and waiting for the refs to bail him out.

And missed a FT which would helped them a lot (still would have been tied after Rasheed FG, thus forcing Pistons to foul).

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
I disagree. I think Lebron's teammates are actually making him WORSE!

Hughes, Pavlovic in the final stretch??

Kobulingam
05-24-2007, 10:04 PM

True.

And sheed DID foul Varajeo (spelling?). BUT Varajeo added too much extra acting to it, thus the Refs didn't call it.

Spurminator
05-24-2007, 10:05 PM

Bullshit. He initiated all of the contact. You don't call that foul on the last possession of the game and I'm glad they didn't.

LeBron still has some growing up to do, and I think series like these will help.

jmard5
05-24-2007, 10:06 PM
True.

And sheed DID foul Varajeo (spelling?). BUT Varajeo added too much extra acting to it, thus the Refs didn't call it.

Varejao is known to be a flopper anyway. Good no call.

Still, he passed up a basket again. Live and die by your superstar. Not passing up shots.

Horry For 3!
05-24-2007, 10:07 PM
Bullshit. He initiated all of the contact. You don't call that foul on the last possession of the game and I'm glad they didn't.

LeBron still has some growing up to do, and I think series like these will help.
Rip swiped down across his arms right before he was going to shoot it.

Kobulingam

But that gets called 9 times out of 10 in NBA. I remember seeing Barbosa lean in 90degrees to initiate contact with Parker on a shot and got a whistle. Nobody leans forward at that angle when they're shooting. Parker was backing up and still got a foul called against him.

Refs fucked this game up, but Lebron helped too by missing that FT.

StylisticS

I didn't see him initiate contact. I guess I have to look at it again. But Hamilton was the one bodying him and also handchecking on that possession. I'm sorry, but he was fouled at the top of the key as well as in the post when he was driving. Oh and yeah, as evidence of last year, they do call fouls like that on the last possession of the game.

Kobulingam
05-24-2007, 10:08 PM
Varejao is known to be a flopper anyway. Good no call.

Yeah, and he did flop here. But he didn't need to because it was a foul.

Spurminator
05-24-2007, 10:11 PM
I didn't see him initiate contact. I guess I have to look at it again. But Hamilton was the one bodying him and also handchecking on that possession. I'm sorry, but he was fouled at the top of the key as well as in the post when he was driving. Oh and yeah, as evidence of last year, they do call fouls like that on the last possession of the game.

Every time they do they get ripped for it and rightfully so. It was a physical play and Hamilton played it perfectly. It was very similar to Parker's defense of Hamilton on the last play of Game 5 in the 2005 Finals.

kingsfan
05-24-2007, 10:12 PM
lechoke, King my ass.

Spurminator
05-24-2007, 10:13 PM
But that gets called 9 times out of 10 in NBA. I remember seeing Barbosa lean in 90degrees to initiate contact with Parker on a shot and got a whistle. Nobody leans forward at that angle when they're shooting. Parker was backing up and still got a foul called against him.

If that's the case then I'm glad this play was the one time out of ten they got it right.

stretch
05-24-2007, 10:23 PM
I disagree. I think Lebron's teammates are actually making him WORSE!

Hughes, Pavlovic in the final stretch??
I agree. Give him someone like Rasheed Wallace, Manu Ginobili, or Michael Redd, and the Cavs win a title.

Medvedenko
05-24-2007, 10:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGnnN5BMXwE

Why wasn't Lebron suspended...did I miss something...

thewatcher
05-24-2007, 10:24 PM
he as clutch as duncan

thewatcher
05-24-2007, 10:25 PM
i mean, clutchless

Zarko
05-24-2007, 10:26 PM
coach brown deserves a significant portion of blame... his offensive game plan sucks shit

didn't he learn anything working with the best franchise in the league?

bdictjames
05-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Hughes sucks

These are 2 games that should have gone to the Cavs favor.

thewatcher
05-24-2007, 10:31 PM

w/o animosity to offend you, that is a lame question.

Medvedenko
05-24-2007, 10:36 PM
Noconsistency basketball league....w/o smart ass comments....

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
05-24-2007, 10:39 PM

There's a thread in PistonsTalk about LeBron being dirty.

peskypesky
05-24-2007, 10:55 PM

I totally agree, as did Barkley, Magic and Kenny. Not only did LeBron initiate the contact, but the refs aren't going to bail you out in that situation. At least not often.

spursfan09
05-24-2007, 11:00 PM
He is still learning. He is very young. I see great things in his future still, just not quite there yet.

E20
05-24-2007, 11:03 PM
LMAO @ This thread.

samikeyp
05-24-2007, 11:07 PM
Somewhere....ducks is laughing. :lol

ducks
05-24-2007, 11:08 PM
Yep

ducks
05-24-2007, 11:09 PM
if he was the refs would have called it
refs love to worship him

ducks
05-24-2007, 11:12 PM
He is still learning. He is very young. I see great things in his future still, just not quite there yet.
WHY DO PEOPLE THINK HE IS MVP THEN :rolleyes

mVp
05-24-2007, 11:18 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=e_F6K8sa460

mmmm... I think he was fouled in that last play...

ducks
05-24-2007, 11:23 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=e_F6K8sa460

mmmm... I think he was fouled in that last play...
dude needs to quit crying

monosylab1k
05-24-2007, 11:26 PM
if varejao hadn't flopped so badly he probably would have gotten the call...sheed pushed off hard enough to knock him over without the flopping bullshit. good no-call.

KidCongo
05-25-2007, 06:29 AM
WHY DO PEOPLE THINK HE IS MVP THEN :rolleyes

He is making a team from a fans view that wouldn't challenge for an 8th spot without him. He is most valuable because he makes his team become a 2nd seed.

ambchang
05-25-2007, 07:29 AM
Once again, ESPN is doing it's best to hype up the darlings and discredit the winners.

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- I'm not going to kill Cleveland Cavaliers coach Mike Brown harder than anybody else in this column -- I'll save that honor for the referees -- for biting his tongue after the Eastern Conference finals Game 2 loss, 79-76, to the Detroit Pistons on Thursday, although I think he did his team a disservice by trying to take the high road by refraining from criticizing the officials in the interview room afterward.
CONFERENCE FINALS SCHEDULE
EAST FINALS
Detroit 2, Cleveland 0
Game 1: Pistons 79, Cavs 76
Game 2: Pistons 79, Cavs 76
Game 3: Sun., 8:30 ET at Cle.
Game 4: May 29, 8 ET at Cle.
*Game 5: May 31, 8 ET at Detroit
*Game 6: June 2, 8:30 ET at Cle.
*Game 7: June 4, 8 ET at Detroit

WEST FINALS
San Antonio 2, Utah 0
Game 1: Spurs 108, Jazz 100
Game 2: Spurs 105. Jazz 96
Game 3: Sat., 8:30 ET at Utah
Game 4: Mon., 9 ET at Utah
*Game 5: May 30, 9 ET at SA
*Game 6: June 1, 9 ET at Utah
*Game 7: June 3, 8:30 at SA

*if necessary

• The full playoff schedule

"We're a no-excuse team," Brown said, a line that was echoed minutes later by LeBron James.

But make no mistake, the Cavs were absolutely livid at the lack of a call when James drove to the basket with eight seconds left and was hacked numerous times by Richard Hamilton, including a rake across his arm as he went for the shot everyone had been waiting three days to see if he would take.

I asked Hamilton in the locker room afterward if he had fouled James on the play, and Hamilton couldn't stifle a cackle before he gave his answer: "Nah, you know. I just put my hands up."

And let the record show that he cackled at the end of that answer, too.

The non-call was so egregious, I'd expect Jimmy Clark, Bernie Fryer and Mark Wunderlich to be told by the league office that they can watch the rest of the playoffs from Joey Crawford's man cave, since they don't deserve to be working at this stage of the postseason if they're too scared to call a foul on the biggest play of the game. But I'm not sure whether those three referees will be taking calls from the league office on Friday, since all three must be scheduled for surgery to have the whistles they swallowed removed from their stomachs.

You know, Brown could have come up with a line or two like that that would have cost him a fine but at least would have earned him the gratitude of the Cavs' fans, who will wake Friday morning feeling -- and feeling it rightfully, I might add -- that they were screwed.

If that had happened to someone on the Lakers, you can bet your bottom dollar Phil Jackson would have spoken frankly about it, then taken his $50,000 fine like a man.

Same would have happened with Pat Riley if that had happened to the Heat, and don't even get me started on what Mark Cuban would have done if the Dallas Mavericks had been on the receiving end of that non-call. His fine might have made it into seven figures.

But this is all Brown had to say:

"The officials get paid a lot of money, and that's their job. If they don't see anything, they don't see anything. We're a no-excuse team. We've got to get ready for Game 3."

I pressed Brown on the matter by telling him I wasn't looking for an excuse, just a description of how that final James possession looked from where he was standing.

"LeBron drove the ball. He shot it, he missed it. Larry [Hughes] got the rebound, he shot it, he missed it. Andy [Anderson Varejao] tipped it, they came up with the rebound and we fouled them," Brown said.

So why did you get so upset?

"Just emotions. Tough game."

Maybe Brown expressed everything he wanted when he drew a technical foul with one second left, walking on the court to complain. That move is going to merit an explanation Friday, because think about it, when's the last time you saw a coach take a tech in a one-point conference finals game with one second left?

I also asked James about the play in question and what he was shouting at the referees when play stopped.

"That's over and done with. Me and the ref had a good conversation, and I've moved on as a player."

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree here, but where the heck is the indignation? By my count Hamilton slapped James on the arms three or four times when he was making his drive to the hoop, and that's not even counting the contact he took on the shot. If you wanted to be totally technical, there were probably five different instances of contact on which fouls could have been called.

Compared to Dirk Nowitzki's touch foul against Dwyane Wade in Game 5 of the NBA Finals last year, this was an absolute mugging.

I can understand the Cavs not wanting to be seen as a team that complains about the referees publicly, but there's a way to get your point across without crossing the line.

What if Brown had said this: "I thought Hamilton fouled him three or four times, and I can't understand why the referees didn't call it, because I could see it plain as day from 50 feet away, and I only have two eyes. They have six. But what's done is done, and we're not going to blame the referees for this loss. We blame ourselves."

At least he would have been stating the obvious instead of acting like someone who feared the wrath of David Stern so much he was afraid to speak out.

And besides, complaining about a bad call or a non-call is not tantamount to making an excuse. They're two totally different things.

The Cavs had a right to be angry, and I felt Brown had an obligation to at least show a little emotion. If he wanted to go ballistic and spend $50,000 getting it off his chest, that would have been acceptable, too.

I just didn't like the whole specter of the Cavs slinking off into the night looking like they were almost afraid to stand up for themselves.

They got robbed, and either their coach or their superstar should have found a way to say so. Instead, they came off as being meek. And at this stage of the season, it is not time to be a pushover. It's time to stand up for yourself and state the truth, and if it costs you $50,000, so be it. At least the refs will hear your message, and the next time it happens you'll probably get the call.

It's called working the refs, and the best coaches do it when circumstances call for it. And on this night, Brown should have piped up more than he did.

Look at the replay, there was a maybe call once, but 3 or 4 times? I mean, what the hell? That move clearly is a move where the offensive player was trying to get a call from the refs, but it has been shown time and time again that you do not get those calls in those situations under most circumstances. It was just a poor play. Besides, Hughes got a wide open look, and he missed that one.

Spurminator
05-25-2007, 08:39 AM
lol, ESPN is so transparent. They desperately need LeBron in the Finals.

The only good thing about losing to the Jazz is that a Jazz/Pistons Finals would absolutely kill ABC.

monosylab1k
05-27-2007, 10:05 PM
bump

HJNTX
05-28-2007, 08:38 AM
I would say how he pulled the Cavs thru the game yesterday would be considered "clutch." No one can deny he's a great player!

Capt Bringdown
05-28-2007, 10:11 AM
Gosh, I didn't see the game 3, but SI's Kelly Dywer's already calling Lebron's game as "one of the best playoff performances in years." What do y'all think?

monosylab1k
05-28-2007, 10:43 AM
Gosh, I didn't see the game 3, but SI's Kelly Dywer's already calling Lebron's game as "one of the best playoff performances in years." What do y'all think?

He was incredible last night. His posterizing of Sheed, the fadeaway 3, and the final shot to win it were all great plays and incredibly clutch. If Lebron keeps playing like that, Cleveland will win this series. But I have to think that the Pistons will be able to find some sort of defense to counter what he's doing.

monosylab1k
05-29-2007, 10:21 PM
bump

LEONARD
05-30-2007, 08:33 AM
:lol

KFRebel
05-30-2007, 08:53 AM
LeBump 2-2. Take that motherfuckers. Guys here are just unbelievable. They hate for nuthin'.

LeClutch! King my heart.

NBA Junkie
05-30-2007, 09:41 AM
bump

:clap :smokin

stretch
05-30-2007, 10:44 AM
LBJ is fuckin amazing. I think the thing that impresses me the most is his maturity, especially at such a young age. He doesnt take a lot of dumb or bad shots, and the majority of the time makes the best desicion possible. He always looks for the open man before looking for his own shot. Sure, sometimes he needs to know when to take the shot himself, but you can't blame him for passing to wide open guys, whether its in the 1st or the 4th quarter. He definitely isnt the next Michael Jordan. He is as talented as MJ, more versatile, and an even more gifted athlete. He clearly has the potential to far surpass Jordan. But it all comes down to his hunger for winning. Sometimes he seems to have the drive that it takes to win championships, but sometimes he seems a little lethargic as well. Hopefully he keeps it up. At the rate he is going, he looks like someone that the game has never seen before, and will be the true definition what an "all-around" player is.

florige
05-30-2007, 04:03 PM
I think Lebron's only problem (most people wouldn't consider this a problem, but under the circumstances) is that he is tooo unselfish. He is the only real scorer on that team. I know that this is only one play but this is an example of what I'm talking about. At the start of 3rd quarter last night the ball got rotated around to Lebron who was WIDE OPEN for 3. I mean wide open as nobody within at least 10 feet. Shaq probably would had taken that shot if he were that open. Instead he pulls up like he's going to shoot it, then at the last minute whips a pass over to a covered Hughes who immediatley throws up a brick that hits the corner of the backboard. I was like why in the crap did he pass that? I think if Kobe had been that open just past the half court line he would have shot it. :lol

NBA Junkie
05-31-2007, 10:58 PM
bump

NorCal510
05-31-2007, 11:04 PM
i called this already

lebron is a boss

fuck the haters!

E20
05-31-2007, 11:05 PM
Again LMAO@ the title of this thread.

NorCal510
05-31-2007, 11:06 PM
lebron is more clutch than my dick! and my dick is clutch!

scott
05-31-2007, 11:07 PM
Haven't seen ducks in this thread since it was 0-2... coincidence?

KFRebel
05-31-2007, 11:35 PM
Hello guys!

Tacker
04-02-2009, 03:55 PM
lebron is a clutch player.

mavsluva
04-02-2009, 04:13 PM
You'd probably classify Albert Einstein as having an average intelligence if he ever scored a "B" on his report card.