PDA

View Full Version : Someone please........

E20
05-24-2007, 11:57 PM
Read my essay and give me some constructive criticism, nobody is with me at the moment and I really need to get an A on this, I'm in danger of failing this class (Film Study) and potentially not graduating, although that will never happen, but just wanna be on the safe side.

Period 6
05/24/2007

Silence of the Lambs & The Sixth Sense

Two movies which use the concept of misdirection to utilize supsense are The Silence of the Lambs and The Sixth Sense, but which one achieves it's goal of using this device effectively to heighten the suspense? The Silence of the Lambs uses misdirection in a profound and simply a better way than The Sixth Sense. Besides having more than one instance where Silence of the Lambs uses misdirection, it uses much more imaginative and creative ways to enhance the suspense. On the other side, The Sixth Sense, only uses misdirection once to get to the audience; the rest of the movie is aiming to scare the audience with grotesque images of mangled and bloodied bodies. However, there are some other attempts to use misdirection in The Sixth Sense, but they aren't worth noting and fail at their attempt. Quite frankly, Silence of the Lambs uses the concept of misdirection best.
A scene which will be forever remembered in modern cinema is the faked death of Hannibal Lector. This is misdirection at it's finest and was a suspense thrill all together. This scene arguably eclipses the climax of The Sixth Sense in terms of misdirection and suspense. The viewer is waiting for Lector to pop out of the elevator, but what the viewer gets is something orginal, creative, and quite unorthodox. Lector is in fact the fatalatied policemen riding in the ambulance and at once he gets up and runs like a crazed lunatic. One would expect crowds at theaters to draw loud gasps and commotion after seeing such a well played out scene. The one good use of misdirection in The Sixth Sense is where the viewer finds out Bruce Willis's character is dead, which was long over due and did not offer any real suspense or thrill, however it was a good plot twist.
Another use of misdirection is the introduction of Hannibal Lector. In the begining of The Silence of the Lambs we hear faint refrences about the doctor, until the monstrosities that he has commited come to the surface. The characters in the movie label him a monster and a gruesome killer with no mercy. This is an excellent way to make the viewer ponder on how such a man would look. One would think of an ogre type freak and that's what the common conception would be, however this is where the misdirection comes in. As the climatic walk towards the cell of Lector comes to an end the viewer is greeted by irony. The viewer is given an old man who looks completely harmless. The build up to this scene had all the right components to make it a suspensful misdirected work of cinema art.
One more heart racing of using misdirection to intensify suspense is the scene where the FBI is ready to nab Buffalo Bill and when the doorbell is about to be rung the viewer is caught off guard. This example uses the setting as a good alternative to use misdirection as a seed for suspense. When the doorbell rung the whole setting is changed and the person opening the door is in fact Buffalo Bill, but the location is different and the only person outside is Agent Sterling. The viewer in this instance would be hoping to see a bust of Bill, but the viewer's supsense is halted and we see that movie hasn't reached it's end yet.
In conclusion, Silence of the Lambs overshadows The Sixth Sense in all facets of misdirection and supsense. It successfully utilized and employed different techniques to fuel the misdirection and suspense. While The Sixth Sense had one shining moment it wasn't enough or all too great to offer any real suspense to the viewer, while Silence of the Lambs uses orginial, creative, and interesting ways to apply the concept of misdirection to heighten the suspense of the movie and ultimately make it a success.

TheSanityAnnex
05-24-2007, 11:59 PM
Upon first glance........ever heard of a tab button?

dallaskd
05-25-2007, 12:00 AM
you wrote an essay on silence of the lambs?? anyway..pretty good.

E20
05-25-2007, 12:00 AM
LMAO I had it indented and all that stuff, but it didn't carry on to the post. Also, I know my essay got edgy towards the end partially due to the fact that I was running out of ideas/words.

TheSanityAnnex
05-25-2007, 12:01 AM
Many of those sentences need to be rewritten. I can't correct your paper using paint, so I'm not sure what you're asking for.

TheSanityAnnex
05-25-2007, 12:02 AM
Your ideas are solid, but they need to be written differently.

E20
05-25-2007, 12:03 AM
Many of those sentences need to be rewritten. I can't correct your paper using paint, so I'm not sure what you're asking for.
Copy and paste in onto Word? :lol

dallaskd
05-25-2007, 12:03 AM

copy it to word and retype it for him.

TheSanityAnnex
05-25-2007, 12:05 AM
Aight. I'll do a quick scan.

I'm in the middle of drinking an old english/sparks. I'll pm it back to you.

E20
05-25-2007, 12:06 AM
Fuck, is faked even a word?

And if it is does it go right with the 1st sentence of the second paragraph?

What was I thinking?

dallaskd
05-25-2007, 12:07 AM
is this due tommorow morning or something?

E20
05-25-2007, 12:08 AM
Holy shit!
3rd paragraph I compeltely fucked up. "One more heart racing of using" WTF it should have been "One more heart racing use of"

What was I thinking?

E20
05-25-2007, 12:09 AM
is this due tommorow morning or something?
It's due tommorow in my last period class, but it has to be typed and I'm not allowed to use school computers. I was caught browsing this site too many times and school computers are only allowed for research/school work, so they banned my account.

dallaskd
05-25-2007, 12:09 AM
we only had 4 periods in high school.

dallaskd
05-25-2007, 12:10 AM
damn when is your summer break start?? I got out about a month ago.

E20
we only had 4 periods in high school.
We have 6 each one is an hour long.

SequSpur
it sucks.

dallaskd
05-25-2007, 12:12 AM
We have 6 each one is an hour long.

thats a short day...how long is lunch?

TheSanityAnnex
05-25-2007, 12:12 AM
Shit man, I'm sorry. I was in the middle of it and I just got a call and I'm heading out to see L.A. Symphony.

E20
05-25-2007, 12:13 AM
thats a short day...how long is lunch?
30 minutes and we get a 20 minute break called 'Brunch'.

School hours are from 8-3:06PM

School is over for me on the 16th of June.

Bob Lanier
05-25-2007, 12:14 AM
The eleventh word is misspelled. I didn't make it much longer.

HTH.

ashbeeigh
05-25-2007, 12:15 AM
The ideas are solid. Everything is there. Check your sentences over they coul.d probably be a reworded to make things flow better. The third paragraph is a little edgy, like you said. Did y'all watch these movies in your class? Is your teacher aware of who Buffalo Bill is in your third paragraph? You jump right into that character without giving any background at all about who the person is. If the teacher already knows then it should be alright, but if not I would rework that last paragraph by introducing the character and why misdirection is important in their portrayal.

Good luck!

dallaskd
05-25-2007, 12:15 AM
School is over for me on the 16th of June.

good god. the school district around me..it might be dallas isd got out yesterday.

leemajors
05-25-2007, 12:24 AM
way too many compound sentences and commas.

LaMarcus Bryant
05-25-2007, 12:24 AM
I'm no elpimpo4cc but i dont think you should start your essay out with a question...stallone would definitely disapprove

Bob Lanier
05-25-2007, 12:31 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/33/Party_at_Kitty_and_Stud%27s.jpg

E20
05-25-2007, 12:40 AM
It's a film class so I don't have to summarize the films, because we watched them.

I just need to work on some grammar and re-word here and there and I'll be fine I think. I just want a D in the class. Quite frankly, I quit caring about my grades A LONG TIME AGO.

LaMarcus Bryant
05-25-2007, 12:41 AM
Senioritis.

ZipSpan
05-25-2007, 12:44 AM
i PMed you. if i helped, just PM back. if you don't like my style of writing, it's cool. just tell me you don't need my help.

2Blonde
05-25-2007, 01:11 AM
Read my essay and give me some constructive criticism, nobody is with me at the moment and I really need to get an A on this, I'm in danger of failing this class (Film Study) and potentially not graduating, although that will never happen, but just wanna be on the safe side.

Period 6
05/24/2007

Silence of the Lambs & The Sixth Sense

Two movies which utilize the concept of misdirection to achieve suspense are The Silence of the Lambs and The Sixth Sense, but which one achieves it's goal of using this device effectively to heighten the suspense? The Silence of the Lambs uses misdirection in a profound and simply a better way than The Sixth Sense. Besides having more than one instance where Silence of the Lambs uses misdirection, it uses much more imaginative and creative ways to enhance the suspense. On the other side, The Sixth Sense, only uses misdirection once to get to the audience; the rest of the movie is aiming to scare the audience with grotesque images of mangled and bloodied bodies. However, there are some other attempts to use misdirection in The Sixth Sense, but they aren't worth noting and fail at their attempt. Quite frankly, Silence of the Lambs uses the concept of misdirection best.
A scene which will be forever remembered in modern cinema is the faked death of Hannibal Lector. This is misdirection at it's finest and was a suspense thrill all together. This scene arguably eclipses the climax of The Sixth Sense in terms of misdirection and suspense. The viewer is waiting for Lector to pop out of the elevator, but what the viewer gets is something orginal, creative, and quite unorthodox. Lector is in fact the fatalatied policemen riding in the ambulance and at once he gets up and runs like a crazed lunatic. One would expect crowds at theaters to draw loud gasps and commotion after seeing such a well played out scene. The one good use of misdirection in The Sixth Sense is where the viewer finds out Bruce Willis's character is dead, which was long over due and did not offer any real suspense or thrill, however it was a good plot twist.
Another use of misdirection is the introduction of Hannibal Lector. In the begining of The Silence of the Lambs we hear faint refrences about the doctor, until the monstrosities that he has commited come to the surface. The characters in the movie label him a monster and a gruesome killer with no mercy. This is an excellent way to make the viewer ponder on how such a man would look. One would think of an ogre type freak and that's what the common conception would be, however this is where the misdirection comes in. As the climatic walk towards the cell of Lector comes to an end the viewer is greeted by irony. The viewer is given an old man who looks completely harmless. The build up to this scene had all the right components to make it a suspensful misdirected work of cinema art.
One more heart racing of using misdirection to intensify suspense is the scene where the FBI is ready to nab Buffalo Bill and when the doorbell is about to be rung the viewer is caught off guard. This example uses the setting as a good alternative to use misdirection as a seed for suspense. When the doorbell rung the whole setting is changed and the person opening the door is in fact Buffalo Bill, but the location is different and the only person outside is Agent Sterling. The viewer in this instance would be hoping to see a bust of Bill, but the viewer's supsense is halted and we see that movie hasn't reached it's end yet.
In conclusion, Silence of the Lambs overshadows The Sixth Sense in all facets of misdirection and supsense. It successfully utilized and employed different techniques to fuel the misdirection and suspense. While The Sixth Sense had one shining moment it wasn't enough or all too great to offer any real suspense to the viewer, while Silence of the Lambs uses orginial, creative, and interesting ways to apply the concept of misdirection to heighten the suspense of the movie and ultimately make it a success.

Nbadan
05-25-2007, 02:19 AM
Two movies which use the concept of misdirection to utilize supsense are The Silence of the Lambs and The Sixth Sense, but which one achieves it's goal of using this device effectively to heighten the suspense? The Silence of the Lambs uses misdirection in a profound and simply a better way than The Sixth Sense. Besides having more than one instance where Silence of the Lambs uses misdirection, it uses much more imaginative and creative ways to enhance the suspense. On the other side, The Sixth Sense, only uses misdirection once to get to the audience; the rest of the movie is aiming to scare the audience with grotesque images of mangled and bloodied bodies. However, there are some other attempts to use misdirection in The Sixth Sense, but they aren't worth noting and fail at their attempt. Quite frankly, Silence of the Lambs uses the concept of misdirection best.

Two movies which utilize the concept of misdirection are The Silence of the Lambs and The Sixth Sense. I believe the director of the Silence of the Lambs uses the art of misdirection in a more simplistic, yet highly effective manner than those found in The Sixth Sense. The Silence of the Lambs uses misdirection in a imaginative way to enhance the suspense of the scene, where as the Sixth Sense utilizes misdirection effectively only once to try and trick, or manipulate the audience.

Gerryatrics
05-25-2007, 02:22 AM
Underlined a few things I noticed scanning through the essay, just suggestions on things you should look over. You contradict yourself once or twice, saying The Sixth Sense attempts to use misdirection after saying it only uses it once (if you believe those attempts all failed where the one twist succeeded, you need to make that clear.) Also where you say there's a good plot twist but it doesn't offer any real suspense or thrill. You need to be careful of run-on sentences, I underlined one or two for you. You should also watch out for comma splices. Try not to repeat certain words too often throughout the essay, "however" "original" and "misdirection" immediately come to mind. And finally, you managed to misspell Hannibal Lecter's name every single time. Might want to correct that before you turn the essay in.