PDA

View Full Version : Knicks interested in Vince Carter

itzsoweezee
05-25-2007, 02:00 PM
comedy. it must suck to be a knicks fan.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05252007/sports/knicks/knicks_in_vin_now_mindset_knicks_marc_berman.htm

KNICKS IN 'VIN NOW' MINDSET

By MARC BERMAN

May 25, 2007 -- Despite Vince Carter's disappointing postseason, the Knicks still have interest in pursuing the Nets high-flyer if he becomes a free agent July 1, a source close to Isiah Thomas told The Post.

The Knicks plan to revisit trade discussions they held with the Nets before the Feb. 23 deadline.

"They will do their due diligence with him," the source said of Carter.

The Knicks would have to work out a sign-and-trade agreement with the Nets. The Knicks, however, are wary of Carter's reported interest in getting a 3-year, $60 million deal - which they consider a long-term investment on a 30-year-old on the downhill portion of his career.

Thomas has stated the Knicks are not looking to use their $5 million mid-level exception on a free agent and aren't interested in adding to the payroll and luxury-tax bill.

Before the trade deadline, the Knicks offered the Nets a package of Channing Frye, Malik Rose and Jerome James (the latter two of which own bad contracts for their production) for Carter. The Nets declined, though they like Frye. It is believed they also asked about rookie Renaldo Balkman, who would look great on the fastbreak with Jason Kidd.

The Knicks also have young center Randolph Morris to peddle. But the Knicks are reluctant to give up two young core guys in a sign-and-trade for a 30-year-old. As a Raptor, Carter requested a trade to the Knicks in the summer of 2004.

The Knicks' best hope is for under-the-cap Orlando or Charlotte to try signing Carter outright, leaving the Nets scrambling to do a sign-and-trade. If he can't sign Carter, Nets chief Rod Thorn does not want to lose him for nothing.

The Knicks also want to shop point guard Steve Francis, who wants a buyout. But Thomas is reluctant to buy him out because he still thinks Francis can play. Plus, after the spate of injuries that ruined the season in March, and because Stephon Marbury and Quentin Richardson have chronic ailments, Thomas cherishes depth.

If the Nets should trade Kidd, Francis is someone they would have to look at as a temporary stopgap.

Thomas has told confidants he believes the Knicks are one "star" from contending for a championship, feeling all other pieces are in place. That is why they plan to explore trades for a top big man to play alongside Eddy Curry: Pau Gasol, who asked for a trade in January; disgruntled Jermaine O'Neal, who wants to be traded to the Knicks; or Kevin Garnett, who could opt out in 2008.

Bob Lanier
05-25-2007, 02:13 PM
Truly an Isiah style point guard.

hater
05-25-2007, 02:43 PM
LMAO they're made for each other. loser franchise and plain loser

AFBlue
05-25-2007, 03:06 PM
I just love how Isaiah and the Knicks think they've got a realistic shot at any of these players...they have no cap space and aren't willing to trade their primary guys. I don't care how bad Jermaine O'Neal wants to go there, the Pacers aren't going to take back players like Francis and Richardson. And now this Carter thing....rediculous. What does NY have that the Nets would possibly want outside of Eddy Curry...which the Knicks aren't giving?

Testing
05-25-2007, 03:20 PM
Knicks are always interested in over-rated/over-hyped/over-paid players who tend to choke in crunchtime on a regular basis.

himat
05-25-2007, 03:45 PM
Stephon Marbury, Steve Francis, and Nate Robinson play the exact same game. Now they want to get add a 4th player to that list?

velik_m
05-25-2007, 04:44 PM
Go Knicks! Sign him!

mardigan
05-25-2007, 04:46 PM
Stephon Marbury, Steve Francis, and Nate Robinson play the exact same game. Now they want to get add a 4th player to that list?
Throw in Crawford and Q Richardson and you got 5 possibly 6 of the same player.

BradLohaus
05-25-2007, 04:46 PM
I want to know what Isaiah says to James Dolan in private conversation, because how he still has his job is beyond any reasonable explanation.

This info could become a best-selling book: "How to keep your job when every decision you make is wrong" by Isaiah Thomas.

Soul_Patch
05-25-2007, 07:22 PM
Perfect Fit...another under achieving big name to bloat their payroll even further.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-25-2007, 07:38 PM
Isiah sounds like a lot of Spurs fans at this site, the ones who think we can trade Beno and Ely for Josh Howard, stupid shit like that.

bdictjames
05-25-2007, 08:23 PM
I feel bad for David Lee. Get out of the franchise now.

Fillmoe
05-25-2007, 08:24 PM
why am i not shocked?

Vinnie_Johnson
05-25-2007, 08:58 PM
I hope the Knicks get Carter that would be great.

SpursDynasty
05-25-2007, 08:59 PM
Can someone tell me what the big deal about Vince Carter is? I don't see him as anything more than average. Was it that dunk he did one year during All Star weekend? I don't see what the big deal is.

mardigan
05-25-2007, 09:17 PM
Can someone tell me what the big deal about Vince Carter is? I don't see him as anything more than average. Was it that dunk he did one year during All Star weekend? I don't see what the big deal is.
Maybe it has something to do with his career 24 point average. I think he is overated, but he is def better than average

himat
05-25-2007, 09:28 PM
Throw in Crawford and Q Richardson and you got 5 possibly 6 of the same player.

I can't believe I forgot about those 2. Wow the Knicks have so much wasted talent.