PDA

View Full Version : Minor rant

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-25-2007, 02:19 PM
So I've been without a properly working laptop for about a month-and-a-half now. The first time I called to get a RMA box, it never got to my door even though the shipping company said they delivered it.

When I called my computer company to get a new one, they said that since it had been delivered, I'd have to wait until I got that box. A box that never arrived, but said it had. I became upset when she told me I'd have to essentially wait indefinitely to get the box. Anyway, I escalate and get a new RMA and box shipped out.

Now, what would happen with the laptop was it would randomly shut off and the screen would flicker. After researching it online, I found these were common, very easy repaired issues with this particular model (heatsink paste replaced and re-connecting the wires for the screen). Anyway, the final straw came (on a day in which I was covering a game), when the AC adapter would no longer connect to the laptop. It'd plug in, but not make contact, meaning I was running only on battery.

So anyway, I finally get the new box and ship it off to Houston for repair. There's always been quick turnaround time from the facility (turnaround from when I ship to when it's back in hands is usually four business days). Well, I get it back on a Friday (the 11th) and the AC adapter problem didn't get fixed. The laptop won't even turn on.

I call back and the front-line rep says he understands why I'm frustrated, but all he can do is ship me a new box and get it repaired again (which means I'd have to wait until Monday/Tuesday the following week and get it back on the following Monday/Tuesday). I escalate and eventually talk with a supervisor (Angie), who says she will simply send me a replacement laptop because of the problems I've been having. She says I have to ship the old one back and they will turn it around right away.

So I get the box and I ship it to Houston (it arrives on the 16th). I call Angie and leave her all the information like she asked me to so she can track its progress and call me back once it ships out. I hear nothing up until Wednesday when I finally call again.

Front-line rep says it'll be another 5-7 business days before I get it because they're making sure the new laptop I get meets or exceeds my old one's specs. I ask how hard it is to accomplish that since it was a top-of-the-line model THREE YEARS AGO. He says it is and once again, I escalate.

Now I get Bill who again, understands what I'm going through, but says he has no way to light a fire under the department whose job it is to replace my laptop.

I ask for that department's number and he gives it to me. I hang up and call Shane at Corporate. He looks up my info and tells me that while Angie set up the process, she never contacted Corporate to tell them what they needed to do.

As you can guess, I'm pretty damn frustrated at this point, but I haven't gone off on anybody and just expressed my frustration with this corporation and its customer service abilities.

Shane says he will process the order and expedite my replacement (it will take 3-5 business days), so I expect it about Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.

This morning, I get up, run some errands and come home about 12:30 p.m. to eat lunch. At about 1:45 p.m., I have to run to the bank, but I get back at about 2 p.m.

Guess what's at my door. A FedEx tag for a missed shipment!

I come in, look it up, and it's addressed to me from Houston.

Please let this be over with when I drive to the FedEx facility at 5 p.m. to pick up my package.

Fillmoe
05-25-2007, 02:21 PM
20 bucks says you have a toshiba

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-25-2007, 02:23 PM
20 bucks says you have a toshiba

Please send your $20 to:

Johnny Blaze
P.O. Box 47
San Antonio, TX 78250

leemajors
05-25-2007, 02:25 PM
well, i know it's not an Apple, probably not a dell. HP or lenovo?

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-25-2007, 02:27 PM
well, i know it's not an Apple, probably not a dell. HP or lenovo?

Please send your $20 to:

Johnny Blaze
P.O. Box 47
San Antonio, TX 78250

leemajors
05-25-2007, 02:28 PM
acer? asus? i'm running out of ideas.

Fillmoe
05-25-2007, 02:29 PM
damn.... anyways toshiba did me the same thing to me.... i sent it in twice and they would send it back unfixed with the same problem.... it took them 3 months to finally send me a brand new one......

leemajors
05-25-2007, 02:31 PM
btw, if it's a compaq they're owned by hp! but you probably know that.

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-25-2007, 02:32 PM
It's a great eMachines laptop I bought three years ago (in fact, my warranty would be running out in about 30 days).

It was a top model back then because it had a 64-bit processor, widescreen, DVD writer, etc. That's pretty standard stuff now, so I figure I'm getting a fairly kick-ass model. Now, I'm all anxious to get it and tweak it the way I like it.

At least I'll be able to get it today instead of missing out until tomorrow to pick it up because I have to work, but since I had an unexpected day off, I made plans to hang out with an old friend tonight.

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-25-2007, 02:33 PM
btw, if it's a compaq they're owned by hp! but you probably know that.

Yeah, I was a retail rep for HP when the merger announcement came and eventually completed.

to21
05-25-2007, 02:33 PM
Sony Vaio?

EDIT: OOPS! jus read it was an eMachine.

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-25-2007, 02:36 PM
acer? asus? i'm running out of ideas.

I had to borrow a co-worker's Acer laptop for this Missions series that finished last night. It was a nice machine with some nice specs on it (I also had used Manny's Acer right before the new year and it was nice, too).

I would consider Acer for my next one.

leemajors
05-25-2007, 02:41 PM
well at least you have a new machine with a new warranty. i have only had 2 laptops years apart, but from my friends experiences with eMachine desktops i had always recommended against their products across the board. good luck with the new one, hopefully it will last as long as this one did.

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-25-2007, 02:44 PM
well at least you have a new machine with a new warranty. i have only had 2 laptops years apart, but from my friends experiences with eMachine desktops i had always recommended against their products across the board. good luck with the new one, hopefully it will last as long as this one did.

When I worked at (shudder) Best Buy from '98-2000, the eMachines desktops were huge pieces of shit, but when I researching my laptop buy in '04, the eMachines were getting great reviews both initially and months after. Their service department has always turned around quickly before and I had never had problems with them until this whole mess started in April.

BacktoBasics
05-25-2007, 02:46 PM
This would have been a perfect opportunity to take that POS laptop and destroy it into little pieces and ship it back to the original maker in a garbage bag.

leemajors
05-25-2007, 02:47 PM
This would have been a perfect opportunity to take that POS laptop and destroy it into little pieces and ship it back to the original maker in a garbage bag.
that makes much more sense than getting a new machine for nothing.

Melmart1
05-25-2007, 03:38 PM
I had to borrow a co-worker's Acer laptop for this Missions series that finished last night. It was a nice machine with some nice specs on it (I also had used Manny's Acer right before the new year and it was nice, too).

I would consider Acer for my next one.
Hey JB, are you going to the AS Game in Corpus, since you cover the Missions? Or is the E-N too cheap for that? :lol I am thinking of pitching a story to my boss at MLN and see if he will let me go. RIght now though, I am writing a story about that WBA player that I got the UD DOJ email about. They actually went to the arena and arrested him before he could get to the locker room :lol

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-25-2007, 03:41 PM
Hey JB, are you going to the AS Game in Corpus, since you cover the Missions? Or is the E-N too cheap for that? :lol I am thinking of pitching a story to my boss at MLN and see if he will let me go. RIght now though, I am writing a story about that WBA player that I got the UD DOJ email about. They actually went to the arena and arrested him before he could get to the locker room :lol

Since it's a three-man crew covering the Missions this season, they haven't decided who gets the assignment, but I'd go in a second.

Melmart1
05-25-2007, 03:46 PM
Wow, three peeps to cover the Missions, thats pretty cool. I hope you get to go! Also, have you been to a game vs RoughRiders with Edinson Volquez pitching yet? I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on his pitching, I am hoping he gets straightened out and can get back to the Majors, the Rangers should could use any SP help they can get.

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-25-2007, 03:54 PM
Wow, three peeps to cover the Missions, thats pretty cool. I hope you get to go! Also, have you been to a game vs RoughRiders with Edinson Volquez pitching yet? I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on his pitching, I am hoping he gets straightened out and can get back to the Majors, the Rangers should could use any SP help they can get.

No, I didn't get the Frisco series this past week, but Volquez was dealing against SA from what our guy out there said. I'm kind of thinking that the Rangers might just let Frisco try and clinch the first half before making any moves of Volquez and maybe Hurley.

Melmart1
05-25-2007, 03:59 PM
No, I didn't get the Frisco series this past week, but Volquez was dealing against SA from what our guy out there said. I'm kind of thinking that the Rangers might just let Frisco try and clinch the first half before making any moves of Volquez and maybe Hurley.
Rumor on LoneStarBall (the Rangers blog I frequent) says that Hurley may have already pitched his final game in AA and will be going to Oklahoma soon. I hope that's not the case, I would really like to see him and Volquez both pitch at least once before they get promoted. Hurley is gonna be a beast!

I asked about Volquez because he was only supposed to get 5 starts at single A Bakersfield but ended up staying almost two months. I know he got tossed for arguing balls and strikes with the umpire once but that's all I really heard, so I was curious as to how well he was doing and if the Roy Halladay treatment is working or not.

Threadjack! :lol

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-25-2007, 04:02 PM
Rumor on LoneStarBall (the Rangers blog I frequent) says that Hurley may have already pitched his final game in AA and will be going to Oklahoma soon. I hope that's not the case, I would really like to see him and Volquez both pitch at least once before they get promoted. Hurley is gonna be a beast!

I asked about Volquez because he was only supposed to get 5 starts at single A Bakersfield but ended up staying almost two months. I know he got tossed for arguing balls and strikes with the umpire once but that's all I really heard, so I was curious as to how well he was doing and if the Roy Halladay treatment is working or not.

Threadjack! :lol

If the Rangers promote both of them really soon, the rest of that staff won't keep the lead they have over Midland or SA.

Melmart1
05-25-2007, 04:06 PM
That makes sense. I dont want Hurley moved up too soon cus they rushed Volquez in too soon and look what happened. I hope they learned their lesson, let the boy stay in AA for a bit! Volquez though, I wouldnt mind seeing him in AAA the rest of the season and maybe called up in September when the rosters expand.

OK, I will stop hijacking now. Maybe I will just start a Missions/Texas League thread in the baseball forum, although you and I might be the only ones who care enough to post in it.

KEDA
05-25-2007, 11:50 PM
HA HA HA HA

you are getting Vista!!

good luck with that!

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-25-2007, 11:56 PM
HA HA HA HA

you are getting Vista!!

good luck with that!

HA HA HA HA

I got Windows XP.

/Posting on new laptop.

KEDA
05-26-2007, 06:58 AM
oh ok, if you would have got ME 2.slow AKA Vista, I would have laughed at you!

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-26-2007, 10:06 AM
oh ok, if you would have got ME 2.slow AKA Vista, I would have laughed at you!

Even if I had, I might have set up a dual-boot with XP Pro.