PDA

View Full Version : Rashard Lewis Officially Opts Out

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-25-2007, 11:55 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2883178

Sonics forward Lewis opts for free agency
ESPN.com news services

Updated: May 26, 2007, 12:01 AM ET

In late February, Rashard Lewis rejected a two-year, $25 million contract extension from the Seattle SuperSonics. Months later, Lewis has taken his rejection a step further.

Lewis has officially opted out of the final two years of his contract on Friday so he can become an unrestricted free agent, as first reported by KRIV in Houston on Friday.

Tony Dutt, Lewis' agent, has made Seattle aware of his client's decision.

"He has decided to opt out and he'll be an unrestricted free agent July 1st," Dutt said, according to KRIV. "We had to do it in writing which we have done already."

The Sonics have one advantage over the rest of the NBA with Lewis now in free agency: They are the only team who can offer him a six-year contract.

"It was in his contract that he could become a free agent. And you can't blame him for wanting to see what's out there," Sonics president of basketball operations Lenny Wilkens said last month. "But that won't stop us from trying to get it done."

When asked if he has been negotiating with the Sonics, despite Seattle not having a general manager or a coach right now, Dutt said, "We've been in contact [with Wilkens]. We'll probably stay in contact on and off until July 1."

Lewis, who has spent his entire nine-year NBA career with the Sonics, opted out of the seven-year, $60M deal he signed before the 2003-2004 season. That means Lewis is walking away from $21M in guaranteed money over the next two years.

In doing so, he becomes one of the NBA's most attractive free agents this summer. The market will include Chauncey Billups, Gerald Wallace and possibly Vince Carter -- if Carter does what Lewis did and opts of out his contract with the New Jersey Nets.

"He's earned that right to be at the top of the market," Dutt said. "I think teams will move pretty quickly to sign him [after July 1]. He is about the top free agent out there."

The 6-foot-10 forward is coming off a career-best year despite missing 22 games with a hand injury. Lewis averaged 22.4 points and 6.6 rebounds a game last season.

"He's excited. At the same time he wants to win. He puts in the time himself and he wants his teammates to do the same. He's just looking for an opportunity, whether he stays in Seattle or if he was to move, to be in a situation where he has an opportunity to win every night," Dutt said.

"I'm excited about where I stand in the NBA," Lewis said last month, immediately after his ninth season in Seattle ended in a 31-51 mess. He turns 28 in August.

Lewis could get offers of five years for perhaps $15 million per year. He said he will give Seattle first opportunity to give him a sweet deal.

"Oh, yeah. I've been here since the team drafted me [in 1998]. They have faith in me," Lewis said last month.

"My heart will always be here -- even if I play somewhere else."

The 2005 All-Star returned from his six-week absence last season to lead the team while All-Star shooter Ray Allen was injured.

Information from The Associated Press contributed to this story.

dallaskd
05-25-2007, 11:59 PM
Dont be suprised if Dallas trys to trade Terry or Dampier and signs lewis.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-26-2007, 12:01 AM
I'm diggin your sig. Who do you got in the fight? I got Liddell.

dallaskd
05-26-2007, 12:05 AM
I'm diggin your sig. Who do you got in the fight? I got Liddell.

I got Liddell, but i would not be suprised at all if rampage won. I like chuck but my guys are Couture, Big Nog, Rich Franklin, Sean Sherk...

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66600

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68459

^^put your money where your mouth is.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-26-2007, 01:35 AM
Dont be suprised if Dallas trys to trade Terry or Dampier and signs lewis.

Don't be surprised if no one wants to take the Dallas rejects.

SpursIndonesia
05-26-2007, 02:20 AM
If any team want to pay max money for one way traffic player like him, with no defensive intensity whatsoever, that would be a big surprise to me.

OTOH, Billups DOES deserve MAX money IMHO -the length of the contract, that's another story.

Bruno
05-26-2007, 03:56 AM

Agree, given their contracts and their ages, Terry and Dampier trade value is very low (even negative for Dampier).

BradLohaus
05-26-2007, 04:08 AM
Agree, given their contracts and their ages, Terry and Dampier trade value is very low (even negative for Dampier).

Not according to Mavtalk :lol :downspin: :spin :drunk

mavsfan1000
05-26-2007, 06:02 AM
I think Rashard Lewis will put Dallas over the top. He is the low post scorer needed to get by Phoenix and Golden state. Make it happen Cuban.

johngateswhiteley
05-26-2007, 06:21 AM
I think Rashard Lewis will put Dallas over the top. He is the low post scorer needed to get by Phoenix and Golden state. Make it happen Cuban.

:blah :blah :blah

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-26-2007, 09:50 AM

:lmao

Lewis wouldn't know the low post if it hit him in the ass. Even if Dallas could somehow get him, you'd just have a guy spotted up on the perimeter on the other side from Dirk waiting to shoot threes.

BUMP
05-26-2007, 10:11 AM
I think Rashard Lewis will put Dallas over the top.

me too lol :p:

JamStone
05-26-2007, 11:06 AM
Lewis better hope Orlando wants him. Otherwise, he aint getting the money he wants, unless he forces a sign and trade with Seattle. And, why would they if they can just let him walk and not take salaries back? I mean Durant replaces him easy. Why take $10-12 million in salaries unless they are players Seattle really, really wants. Doubt teams want to give up anything of great value to get Rashard even if he's a very good player.

MrChug
05-26-2007, 11:18 AM

OMFG!!! This is EXACTLY the reason everyone knows Mavsfans are unknowledgeable arrogant fucks!! :lmao

I'd laugh SO hard if YOU guys got him. JUST WHAT YOU NEED: another jumpshooting, non-defending, should-be-rebounding-better-for-his-size fag bomb that has no real go-to move...and to say he's a LOW POST SCORER means you've never seen him play...hahahahahaha

mavs>spurs2
05-26-2007, 11:29 AM

Dumbfucks like you make us mav fans look bad.

JamStone
05-26-2007, 11:33 AM
I thought the "low post scorer" comment was sarcasm. If it wasn't, that's motherfuckin dumb.

himat
05-26-2007, 11:36 AM
:lol Rashard Lewis is not a post player at all.

trueD
05-26-2007, 11:56 AM
I just HATE it when guys do well and expect more than millions and millions of dollars to play a game. Here, Lewis would be moving from his draft home who has a great pick this year for ??? Maybe a coupla more million. Yeh, a "coupla" more million may sound rich to us po folks, but come on. Does he have children attending school? A wife with a strong support base in town? Dayum, I can't believe the greed associated with playing a game.

Maybe he could just pass on the extra pool table in the bathroom and Waterworld-type pool house for the kiddies?

He's just looking for an opportunity, whether he stays in Seattle or if he was to move, to be in a situation where he has an opportunity to win every night," Dutt said.

WTF isn't?

I hope this just is a means for him to negotiate for a longer contract in Seattle. My motherly instincts will feel much better if it is. :lol

td4mvp21
05-26-2007, 12:14 PM

You are a dumbass. :donkey

Bob Lanier
05-26-2007, 12:17 PM
Rashard Lewis is actually a very competent post-up scorer. He isn't Carmelo Anthony or Paul Pierce, but I'd be hard-pressed to name another 3 with a better low and mid post game.

mavsfan1000 may be an idiot, but he happens to be right.

Dayum, I can't believe the greed associated with playing a game.
Ah, a shill for the owners. I'd actually managed to avoid hearing from you people for almost the last three months.

leemajors
05-26-2007, 01:32 PM
Lewis better hope Orlando wants him. Otherwise, he aint getting the money he wants, unless he forces a sign and trade with Seattle. And, why would they if they can just let him walk and not take salaries back? I mean Durant replaces him easy. Why take $10-12 million in salaries unless they are players Seattle really, really wants. Doubt teams want to give up anything of great value to get Rashard even if he's a very good player.

durant can actually board too.

JamStone
05-26-2007, 02:37 PM
Rashard Lewis is actually a very competent post-up scorer. He isn't Carmelo Anthony or Paul Pierce, but I'd be hard-pressed to name another 3 with a better low and mid post game.

It's not that he is completely incapable of scoring in the post, but he rarely plays there, even if he's capable. He is able to score in the post sometimes. That doesn't make him a low-post scorer.

As for another 3 with a better low post and mid post game ... Tayshaun Prince, Richard Jefferson, Lamar Odom (if you want to call him a 3), Corey Maggette, Quentin Richardson, Ruben Patterson, Andrei Kirilenko, Matt Harpring, Ricky Davis, Jerry Stackhouse (plays both the 2 and 3 now), Caron Butler ... off the top of my head.

MrChug
05-26-2007, 03:29 PM
It's not that he is completely incapable of scoring in the post, but he rarely plays there, even if he's capable. He is able to score in the post sometimes. That doesn't make him a low-post scorer.

Perfect...PERFECTLY valid scouting report for Dirk Nowitzki---you mean they want TWO of those???? wtf??

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-26-2007, 03:38 PM

mavsfan1000 may be an idiot, but he happens to be right.

It's not that he can't play there, it's that he's more comfortable spotting up on the wing. The guy's a black Dirk Nowitzki.

MajorMike
05-26-2007, 05:49 PM

Haha, that's true. Damp's trade value is right there with Beno's.

confined
05-26-2007, 06:11 PM
damp's trade value is low just because of his contract...damp actuallu provides decent post defense and rebounding....beno is just not a good player

dallaskd
05-26-2007, 06:28 PM

As for another 3 with a better low post and mid post game ... Tayshaun Prince, Richard Jefferson, Lamar Odom (if you want to call him a 3), Corey Maggette, Quentin Richardson, Ruben Patterson, Andrei Kirilenko, Matt Harpring, Ricky Davis, Jerry Stackhouse (plays both the 2 and 3 now), Caron Butler ... off the top of my head.

Ricky Davis is not a 3.

dallaskd
05-26-2007, 06:38 PM
Lewis does not deserve top dollar, but is still a very good player and will help out any team he goes to.

Bruno
05-26-2007, 06:41 PM

Udrih has a better trade value than Dampier.

Amarelooms
05-26-2007, 06:42 PM
Udrih has a better trade value than Dampier.

Ummm not really...Damp plays solid D and can rebound...he is not the best but better than you homers give him credit for :elephant

dallaskd
05-26-2007, 06:42 PM
Damp is a lot better player than Beno. The salary kills him.

leroyjenkins
05-26-2007, 07:19 PM
Lewis is going to Houston. It makes too much sense for him to do it. Lewis is from Houston. The Rockets need a offensive PF, and he would fit well with Adelmans coaching.

mavsfan1000
05-26-2007, 10:48 PM
Lewis is going to Houston. It makes too much sense for him to do it. Lewis is from Houston. The Rockets need a offensive PF, and he would fit well with Adelmans coaching.
The rockets still need a point guard to be a high flying team. Alston is a joke.

leemajors
05-26-2007, 10:50 PM
a. lewis is not a pf.
b. they can't come close to affording him.

mavsfan1000
05-26-2007, 11:01 PM
a. lewis is not a pf.
b. they can't come close to affording him.
Have you heard of small ball? I do agree though that the rockets can't afford him.

ploto
05-27-2007, 07:44 AM
Lewis to Toronto for Rasho and Calderon once PJ becomes the new coach in Seattle.

angel_luv
05-27-2007, 08:55 AM
Lewis to Toronto for Rasho and Calderon once PJ becomes the new coach in Seattle.

No!!!!!!!!!!!! Ray Allen is on my "do not root for" list. I would hate for that to change. :lol

StylisticS
05-27-2007, 10:31 AM
I believe Rashard Lewis and Avery Johnson have the same agents. I could be wrong on that, though. He will not put us over the top but at least he'll be close to home.

Bruno
05-27-2007, 11:07 AM
I don't see Sonics being interest in a player like Jason Terry. They are a young team (except Allen) and I don't see them being ready to take an "old" player like Terry with a big and long contract.

IMO, the best Lewis to Dallas trade is the following :

Lewis (S&T with a $12M starting salary) and Watson for Croshere (S&T with one year at $8.7M) + Harris + Pops + 2008 first round pick.

Croshere and Pops are just here to match salaries.

2007-2008 Mavs :
PG : Terry/Watson
SG : Howard/Stackhouse
SF : Lewis/Stackhouse
PF : Dirk/Free Agent (like Joe Smith)
C : Damp/Diop

Bench : Ager, Buckner, Barea, Mbenga, 34th pick of the 07 draft.

Amarelooms
05-27-2007, 11:33 AM
I don't see Sonics being interest in a player like Jason Terry. They are a young team (except Allen) and I don't see them being ready to take an "old" player like Terry with a big and long contract.

IMO, the best Lewis to Dallas trade is the following :

Lewis (S&T with a $12M starting salary) and Watson for Croshere (S&T with one year at $8.7M) + Harris + Pops + 2008 first round pick.

Croshere and Pops are just here to match salaries.

2007-2008 Mavs :
PG : Terry/Watson
SG : Howard/Stackhouse
SF : Lewis/Stackhouse
PF : Dirk/Free Agent (like Joe Smith)
C : Damp/Diop

Bench : Ager, Buckner, Barea, Mbenga, 34th pick of the 07 draft.

So all the Mavs really give up is Devin and a 1st? lol Where do we sign :elephant

JamStone
05-27-2007, 11:37 AM
Ricky Davis is not a 3.

inaccurate. he might be a better fit at shooting guard, but he's played primarily the small forward spot for the timberwolves. they had a rotating door at the 2-guard with trenton hassell, marko jaric, bracy wright, and then when they played the two point guard sets, either randy foye or mike james slid down to the 2-guard.

ricky davis might be a more natural fit at shooting guard, but at minnesota, he's played mostly small forward.

Kori Ellis
05-27-2007, 11:50 AM
The Sonics will probably try to deal one of the points, one of the bigs and Lewis. So there are a lot of possibilities out there.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-27-2007, 11:55 AM
So all the Mavs really give up is Devin and a 1st? lol Where do we sign :elephant
??? He also said Austin Croshere and Pop Mensah-Bonsu.

StylisticS
05-27-2007, 01:52 PM

I'm for getting rid of Chroshere but against getting rid of Pops. If we have to give up that much to get a player like Lewis then where is the shredder.

mabber
05-27-2007, 01:54 PM
OMFG!!! This is EXACTLY the reason everyone knows Mavsfans are unknowledgeable arrogant fucks!! :lmao

I'd laugh SO hard if YOU guys got him. JUST WHAT YOU NEED: another jumpshooting, non-defending, should-be-rebounding-better-for-his-size fag bomb that has no real go-to move...and to say he's a LOW POST SCORER means you've never seen him play...hahahahahaha

I agree, the Mavs let go and are still paying Finley for being that.

Amarelooms
05-27-2007, 02:32 PM

Who? lol Croshere and Pop...who give a shit bout them. Only thing is that Croshere is a free agent...not likely to happen at that salary.

BUMP
05-27-2007, 02:42 PM

Watson isnt really what we need. and giving up all that for basically Lewis alone. sorry, i'll pass on that.

OMG LOLZZZZZ!!! MAVS IS EH SUKC!!!!!!!:p: :elephant :smokin :wakeup :married: :downspin: :downspin:

!!!!
!!!!!!!!!

monosylab1k
05-27-2007, 03:14 PM
Watson isnt really what we need.

A pass-first point guard? Not what we need? wow...

monosylab1k
05-27-2007, 03:17 PM
Our ability to get a post player isn't very good, unless we want Rap Sheet Randolph.

If we can't get a post guy, then we HAVE to get more athletic and bigger at the guard spot. We also need somebody with a clue on how to actually run things at the point.

I think Jason Terry could be an excellent 6th man for a team like Seattle. He's from that area and I bet they'd take him off our hands.

Terry,Dampier,collection of picks for Lewis and Watson works just fine for me. We can move Howard to the 2 and not worry about being undersized at guard. We'll get bigger and more athletic, and we'll have a PG who has a fuckin' clue how to get some ball movement going.

BUMP
05-27-2007, 03:38 PM
A pass-first point guard? Not what we need? wow...

another old, nonagressive player that will just crumble under pressure?

woooohooooo, nevermind sign me up! :hungry:

StylisticS
05-27-2007, 04:28 PM

Since when was 27 years old meant to be old? Do you even know who Earl Watson is?

BUMP
05-27-2007, 08:15 PM
Since when was 27 years old meant to be old? Do you even know who Earl Watson is?
yes and not only is Devin Harris better than Watson right now, he has much more potential. crap, Anthony Johnson>Earl Watson.

why is he so special? i've seen him play and he wont bring anything

monosylab1k
05-27-2007, 08:25 PM

LOL what??? you know who earl watson is, right? He's a few years younger than Terry, he's an incredibly good defender and a very good distributor. His one drawback is that he's a mediocre shooter...but you'd figure with dirk, lewis, howard, stack, etc. that shooting wouldn't be that team's huge problem. As far as crumbling under pressure, how is Earl Watson supposed to be judged for that? He's no superstar, he's just a very good player. Let's make sure OUR LEADER doesn't crumble under pressure before we start criticizing the 6th or 7th best guy on the team for it.

I seriously wonder if you even know who you're talking about if you think that Anthony Johnson is better than him.

And am I taking crazy pills or did Jason Terry not just have a fairly pedestrian season and a horrible playoff series immediately after signing a big ass contract?

monosylab1k
05-27-2007, 08:27 PM
yes and not only is Devin Harris better than Watson right now, he has much more potential. crap, Anthony Johnson>Earl Watson.

why is he so special? i've seen him play and he wont bring anything

if you watched him you'd see that he's a crisp passer who knows how to get the ball to the open man. oh, and he's a truly great defender. unlike harris, he doesn't equate flopping with defense. he goes out there and shuts his guy down.

he'll never be as good of a scorer as devin harris, but considering how quickly harris gets into foul trouble, watson is the best possible backup PG for this team.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-27-2007, 08:29 PM
True dat...

BUMP
05-27-2007, 10:37 PM
And am I taking crazy pills or did Jason Terry not just have a fairly pedestrian season and a horrible playoff series immediately after signing a big ass contract?

:lol if your gonna bring up Terry, yeah id rather have Watson than Jet.

but would the Sonics make that trade?

Watson for Jet=yes

Watson for Harris=no

Bruno
05-28-2007, 10:28 AM
Terry,Dampier,collection of picks for Lewis and Watson works just fine for me.

but not for Seattle.
They will rather let Lewis go than taking these big contracts.

monosylab1k
05-28-2007, 10:41 AM
but not for Seattle.
They will rather let Lewis go than taking these big contracts.

How do you know that? That's actually really stupid thinking - "We'll let our second best player and a 20 PPG scorer leave for absolutely nothing instead of getting two decent quality players in exchange for him and our backup PG".

Seattle doesn't have any sort of a dependable center. Sene is still a few years away from being a meaningful contributor. Dampier could fill the void for a couple of years on an up and coming team.

And Jason Terry is from that area, he's a guy that can give them alot of energy and be a very nice 3rd scoring option after Allen + Durant, and if the Sonics are planning to run & gun and play smallball, Terry fits in perfectly for them.

TDMVPDPOY
05-28-2007, 10:48 AM
no way is lewis = max money

when i think of max money = franchise players or players in contention for mvp or top10 players....

his playin the ben wallace card

Bruno
05-28-2007, 11:08 AM
How do you know that? That's actually really stupid thinking - "We'll let our second best player and a 20 PPG scorer leave for absolutely nothing instead of getting two decent quality players in exchange for him and our backup PG".

Nothing > Terry + Dampier.

Both are overpaid and their contracts will be worse year after year. They will be less productive and paid more each year : Do you think a team will do a trade for a player like Dampier who will be paid $13M when he will be 35 years old ?

Seattle can maybe take Terry and his contract because he is a productive player and shooters have long careers. They will never take Dampier's contract.

monosylab1k
05-28-2007, 12:30 PM
Nothing > Terry + Dampier.

okay homer. two starters on a 67 win team aren't worth adding to a lottery team that's about to lose it's second best player.

Bruno
05-28-2007, 01:07 PM
okay homer. two starters on a 67 win team aren't worth adding to a lottery team that's about to lose it's second best player.

Mavs are lucky to have an owner ready to spend a lot of money but most owners aren't like that. The financial aspect is very important for trades, even more than the BB aspect.

MrChug
05-28-2007, 02:20 PM
How do you know that?

Ummm....cuz it's good business? Damn, mono...stop shooting yourself in the face with your own stupidity.

confined
05-28-2007, 04:52 PM
i think watson would be an excellent addition to dallas...he's exactly what a back-up for harris should be...and yeah lewis isnt that bad either
dirk, howard, lewis > dirk, howard, terry

confined
05-28-2007, 04:57 PM
oh and i think dallas should also make a push for darko milicic..somewhat of a post presence and could actually give us some point production out of the 5 position...probably dont even have to trade for him...maybe just pick him up in free agency this summer

exstatic
05-28-2007, 05:20 PM
oh and i think dallas should also make a push for darko milicic..somewhat of a post presence and could actually give us some point production out of the 5 position...probably dont even have to trade for him...maybe just pick him up in free agency this summer
Orlando has already said they want him back, and he's restricted. They'll match even if it's just to move him elsewhere so they don't lose him for nothing.

Rashard Lewis is an idiot. No one is going to give him what he left on the table: $10+M per year. He's going to be like Bonzi and fire his agent, but the damage to his finances will already be done.