PDA

View Full Version : Burglar's body found in school ductwork ...

sa_butta
05-26-2007, 07:25 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/25/school.body.ap/index.html

PHOENIX, Arizona (AP) -- The body of a man who apparently tried to break into an elementary school was discovered Friday in an air conditioning duct on the school's roof, police said.
The body at Sierra Vista Elementary School was found as a plumber investigated a foul odor noticed by cafeteria staff earlier in the day, said Roosevelt School District Superintendent Mark Dowling.

Authorities think the man tried to climb through the duct, got stuck and died. It wasn't known how long the body was there.

"Obviously because of the smell, there are indications that he had been there for some time," said Sgt. Andy Hill, a Phoenix police spokesman.

The man's name wasn't released.

School officials said that the children were scheduled to be dismissed early Friday and that some parents were already on their way when the school began notifying them about the body through an automated phone system with a recorded message. The school has about 550 students in preschool through eighth grade.

David Torres, who went to the school at midday to pick up his two sons, said he was surprised to see police and TV helicopters when he arrived.

"I was thinking something real bad had happened," said Torres, who was leaving with his boys. "I got nervous, and I started to look for my kids."

District spokeswoman Lori Rieger said that the school was locked down after the discovery and that some students left early with relatives, but that contrary to early reports, there was never an evacuation.

The cafeteria was not used Friday, Rieger said. Students who weren't picked up early ate lunch in the library, she said.

A psychologist will be at the school when it reopens Tuesday, Dowling said.

tlongII
05-26-2007, 12:05 PM
What the hell do they need a psychologist for? Geez.