Sweetey
05-26-2007, 08:46 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_5994027

MONSON: More than ever, Jazz need to feel at home

By Gordon Monson
Tribune Columnist
Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated:05/26/2007 02:13:04 AM MDT

Rarely have the Jazz needed a comfortable place to play more than they need it right now.
They are fully aware that changing the course of their playoff series with the San Antonio Spurs will take more than a supportive home crowd. It will take stronger defense, better shooting, more poise, a greater physical presence. And that's all on them.
But rearranging those efforts, they're convinced, will come easier at EnergySolutions Arena, where they are unbeaten thus far in the postseason.
"We play a lot better basketball on our home court," said Matt Harpring. "We're looking forward to it."
The Jazz were in similar dire straits against the Rockets, after they dropped their first two games on the road and looked dead in the water. Upon their arrival home, they bounced back into contention by finding their bearings here, winning two, so much so that they packed along that same comfort to Houston. Overall, they subsequently won four of five games.
They also won their three home games against the Warriors, closing down that semifinal series in five.
What makes their need so uncommon and so much greater now is the caliber of their opponent. The Jazz felt as though they could have won those first two games in Houston, and were buoyed by those showings coming back to Salt Lake City, where they had the third-best home record in the NBA during the regular season.
In the first two games in San Antonio, they were blown out early, and from there, the Spurs toyed with the Jazz, teasingly letting them back to within single digits before slapping them at the end.
The Jazz procrastinated the fight, displaying a little moxie, but not until it was too late. It seemed as though they almost took comfort in falling behind, putting the matter of who would actually win on an unreachable shelf of certainty, before they discovered the will to compete.
Which, of course, is not competing at all.
It's just the veneer of competing: Working hard to work hard, not working hard to really risk winning.
The Jazz have suffered a kind of meltdown of the 4 C's:
Concentration.
"What we've done so far hasn't worked," said Deron Williams. "There's been a lack of concentration by us."
Cohesion.
"[The Spurs] are reading the same book on the same page," Carlos Boozer said. "We're on different pages."
Added Mehmet Okur: "They've been together a long time."
Competition.
"I just want our guys to go out and compete," said Jerry Sloan. "That's something we've got to learn to do."
Confidence.
"Our guys lose confidence real quick," Sloan said, adding that that loss then triggers a slew of other problems, including lethargic defense, rushed shots, selfishness, and a general dearth of execution.
Anybody have Dr. Spock's number?
That last meltdown is a phenomenon not unlike a kid who acts up because of basic insecurities, even though that kid has a lot to offer, plenty of talent, terrific abilities, and, yet, his self-perception puts him into panic mode, and that panic causes even more erosion of confidence.
That's why the home court suddenly is so significant.
The Jazz need the self-esteem that comes with playing in front of their remarkably supportive, maniacal fans.
Andrei Kirilenko said as much: "It's always better for us to play here."
When he was asked what to look forward to in Game 3, the first words out of his mouth were: "Definitely home court . . . the extra energy."
After Game 2, several Spurs - including Tim Duncan - mentioned they know full well what the Jazz's home floor and home fans mean to their opponent, and that the Jazz would likely transform themselves in that bolstering venue.
"If I'm Utah, I don't get down," Robert Horry said. "You have to think, 'Hey, they took care of things on their home court, in their gym, where they shoot the ball well. Now, let's go do the same in ours, in our gym, where we shoot well.' If I'm Utah, that's the attitude I take."
Bruce Bowen went even further: "We understand that going [to Utah] is going to be much tougher. In fact, it is going to be tougher than some of the other places we've already gone to play. They have a long streak of success in that building in the playoffs, and they are tough to play there."
The Spurs were respectful, but hardly in awe.
They have won their share of games in Salt Lake over the past five years, but not against this particular collection of players. San Antonio lost both of its road games at the arena this past regular season. And the Jazz are bound to be more desperate than ever in their current circumstance, in their own venue.
"I hope our guys are hungry," Boozer said.
A bit of home cooking, for them, couldn't come soon enough.
[email protected]

SpursWoman
05-26-2007, 08:57 AM
San Antonio lost both of its road games at the arena this past regular season.

Playing in Utah will definitely be tough, but those two games the Spurs played there were on November 26 & January 31...which to me aren't very indicative of how well the Spurs should fare at ESA the way they are currently playing.

Although, overall history might indicate that the Spurs will lay an egg in one of these games...so I'm thinking (hoping?) at least a split, and then closing it out at home. :fro

Girasuck
05-26-2007, 09:06 AM
I really hate Gordon Monson but this is one of his better articles. I'll say it again, I really believe this series will be tied 2-2 after game 4.

MajorMike
05-26-2007, 10:02 AM
I really hate Gordon Monson but this is one of his better articles. I'll say it again, I really believe this series will be tied 2-2 after game 4.
:elephant