PDA

View Full Version : The "Asterisk" Season Argument...

MrChug
05-26-2007, 11:13 AM
As a Spurs fan, what's your position? If someone tells you we don't deserve that ring, what do you tell them? I've used every one in existance (I think), but I'm interested to hear what other Spurs fans' say. What is YOUR retort??

Discuss...

FromWayDowntown
05-26-2007, 11:15 AM
Ignore it. Fans who want to put asterisks on any championship are generally jealous that their team didn't win that championship. The league doesn't put an asterisk next to the season, and fans' thoughts are irrelevant to the validity of that title.

spurtime
05-26-2007, 11:15 AM
Usually #1 scoreboard, #2 cry baby, #3 jealousy

SequSpur
05-26-2007, 11:18 AM
I just say if your team would've won it, you would be celebrating, so blow me.

MrChug
05-26-2007, 11:19 AM
^^^Well, I've DEFINITELY used the "blow me" retort for sure...nice sequ :lol

clambake
05-26-2007, 11:22 AM
Just by bringing up the subject, you're acknowledging it's existence. You won't be able to change anyone's opinion, so best to let it go.

J.T.
05-26-2007, 11:29 AM
What asterisk?

sprrs
05-26-2007, 11:41 AM
I don't give a damn. If an asterisk has to be there, that means a trophy has to be there too. THat's all that matters.

himat
05-26-2007, 11:48 AM
There is no NBA champion that has not had certain playoff games go their way. I can make a huge list for the 06 Miami Heat, 05 Spurs, and 04 Pistons. Just ignore it.

spurs1990
05-26-2007, 11:52 AM
The regular season was 50 games...teams played on 3 consecutive nights...an 8th seed made it to the Finals.

Yes, it was an asterisk, but the Spurs have won 2 legitimate rings so we can forget about that one.

Ockham
05-26-2007, 11:55 AM
Rest assured that years from now, few will remember and no one will care.

Case in point: Who ever challenges the legitimacy of 2 of Joe Gibbs' 3 Super Bowls with the Redskins? Yet the 82 and 87 NFL seasons were "strike" seasons, either shortened or involving "scab" players. Decades later few remember and nobody cares.

And the funniest response to the asterisk-taunt I've seen was something somone posted on this forum a week or so ago (sorry, I don't have the reference), and went something like this: "I love asterisks. They remind me of the little spur wheel."

word
05-26-2007, 11:56 AM
What is YOUR retort??

Kiss my asterisk.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-26-2007, 11:58 AM
Who cares? Three rings. Lame thread.

dbreiden83080
05-26-2007, 12:07 PM
As a Spurs fan, what's your position? If someone tells you we don't deserve that ring, what do you tell them? I've used every one in existance (I think), but I'm interested to hear what other Spurs fans' say. What is YOUR retort??

Discuss...

Don't let it bother you because in 20 years all anyone will remember is who won the title, not what jackass got run for game 5 in the playoffs because he was too dumb to stay on the bench. The Suns got whipped in game 6 back at full strength so i am not getting this whole they would have beat the Spurs argument had the suspensions never happened.

td4mvp21
05-26-2007, 12:07 PM
Every team had the same opportunity that season. Only one team prevailed. The haters should shut the fuck up.

judaspriestess
05-26-2007, 12:15 PM
Its always something. thats just stupid.

spurs1990
05-26-2007, 12:17 PM
are we talking about 1999 or 2007 here?

Clutch20
05-26-2007, 12:23 PM
Dear Mr. Supporter of Lame Ass Team(s),
It's not easy getting to the spot where Spurs are at. They are at the point now where everyone knows their role so now comes a variety of point making plays that make others just stand and watch. Watch real men play ball in the finals. The Spurs have put in their time to get what's theirs while the rest of y'all keep messing up your personnel by trading for and hiring high-maintainance, selfish whiners that ballhog your offense to death.

Yours Truly,
Me

SpursDynasty
05-26-2007, 12:30 PM

Discuss...

1999 - It was a shorter regular season. It was a FULL playoffs where everyone had the same chance. No one heard any "asterisk" talk until Phil Jackson said it.

As for this year, ONE game doesn't determine a championship. Every team has to win 16 games. I never respected the Suns as a legit title contender. The Spurs had a better record vs. the West than Phoenix. It's easy to beat up on weak East teams when you run an offense like Phoenix does. The Suns had 3 games where they were at full strength and lost with Amare and Diaw in those games. Spurs won TWICE on their home floor, including Game 1. And that game where Diaw and Amare were missing, the Suns had every opportunity to win, it was even tied in the last minute and Phoenix missed some easy shots. Bruce nailed the championship dagger though. Sucks to be a Suns fan. :lol

SenorSpur
05-26-2007, 12:32 PM
The road to a championsihp is a difficult one to travers. No matter how a team gets there, it still counts in the record book and in the trophy case.

It's all about the hardware, baby.

DDS4
05-26-2007, 12:41 PM
The Spurs collect asterisks.

Fuck the haters.

thewatcher
05-26-2007, 12:47 PM
What asterisk?

1999*- half seasson played.
2003**- dirk done for the spurs/mavs series- the sorry ass nets playing the finals.
2007*** (if they win the ship)- biassed suspentions.

romain.star
05-26-2007, 12:50 PM
Amare doesn't deserve an asterisk......

Don Quixote
05-26-2007, 01:02 PM
Just by bringing up the subject, you're acknowledging it's existence. You won't be able to change anyone's opinion, so best to let it go.

Good point. My question, then, is: How would we go about changing anyone's opinion of the Mavs as (1) regular season champs, (2) chokers, and (3) no-talent @$$ clowns?

SpursDynasty
05-26-2007, 01:03 PM
2003**- dirk done for the spurs/mavs series- the sorry ass nets playing the finals.

Excuses, excuses.

It's not the Spurs fault that the Lakers haven't won shit since 2002.

2000 champions* - Tim Duncan injured, Portland gave the WCF's to you all
2001 champions** - Spurs not at full strength
2002 champions*** - Vlade Divac gave the ball to Horry so he could hit the winning shot

1999 was a half season. Okay, so what's the point of having a season at all if the championship doesn't mean anything?

Dirk injured in 2003 was the reason SA won? :lol

Please, it's 4 years later and Dirk still hasn't won shit with his shitty soft team.

2007 - Amare will learn to stay on the bench next year before storming out there like some high school kid wanting to fight.

Don Quixote
05-26-2007, 01:05 PM
1999 - It was a shorter regular season. It was a FULL playoffs where everyone had the same chance. No one heard any "asterisk" talk until Phil Jackson said it.

As for this year, ONE game doesn't determine a championship. Every team has to win 16 games. I never respected the Suns as a legit title contender. The Spurs had a better record vs. the West than Phoenix. It's easy to beat up on weak East teams when you run an offense like Phoenix does. The Suns had 3 games where they were at full strength and lost with Amare and Diaw in those games. Spurs won TWICE on their home floor, including Game 1. And that game where Diaw and Amare were missing, the Suns had every opportunity to win, it was even tied in the last minute and Phoenix missed some easy shots. Bruce nailed the championship dagger though. Sucks to be a Suns fan. :lol

Yes, it must suck to be a Suns fan. Or a Mavs fan. Or a Laker fan for that matter.

Enjoy watching us win another trophy, losers.

thewatcher
05-26-2007, 01:11 PM
Excuses, excuses.

1999 was a half season. Okay, so what's the point of having a season at all if the championship doesn't mean anything?
:greedy

he was the main guy for that very good team.

2007 - Amare will learn to stay on the bench next year before storming out there like some high school kid wanting to fight.

biassed suspentions.
why they didnt suspended baron, richardson, the nets guy or lebronce????????

Don Quixote
05-26-2007, 01:15 PM
Yeah, I'm sure David Stern & ABC said to themselves, "you know, we need to keep one of our highest-rated, most visually appealing, teams out of the Finals, and make sure one of our least-watched, less-marketable teams get in." I'm so sure.

The next thing you'll tell me is that GW blew up the twin towers or the Illuminati are behind the new world order. Why not just give the Spurs their due credit? They're better than your teams, and they're winning the hardware while your teams are sitting home crying.

gaKNOW!blee
05-26-2007, 01:16 PM

the Lakers played the Nets in the finals the year before.

DuncanInYourFace
05-26-2007, 01:19 PM
I'm laughing my ass off at this shit. Too bad they don't hand out trophies for excuses.

spurs1990
05-26-2007, 01:20 PM
The next thing you'll tell me is that GW blew up the twin towers

"fuck yah he did!" - Napolean Dynomite

thewatcher
05-26-2007, 01:20 PM
Yeah, I'm sure David Stern & ABC said to themselves, "you know, we need to keep one of our highest-rated, most visually appealing, teams out of the Finals, and make sure one of our least-watched, less-marketable teams get in." I'm so sure.

The next thing you'll tell me is that GW blew up the twin towers or the Illuminati are behind the new world order. Why not just give the Spurs their due credit? They're better than your teams, and they're winning the hardware while your teams are sitting home crying.

disclaimer: i will not respond to extremely idiotic posts

exstatic
05-26-2007, 01:24 PM
Asterisk arguments are for losers.

DuncanInYourFace
05-26-2007, 01:27 PM
I don't get it. It's an asterisk because the Suns got their ass kicked in game 6 at full strength while we didn't have Horry?

Or is it an asterisk because the Suns blew a MASSIVE lead in game 5?

I mean really, Dallas SHOULD have 3 championships right? I mean in 03 because Dirk got hurt we should just give them the championship. 06 they definitely got screwed too. But wait, wasn't Amare hurt in 06? Oh shit maybe we should award Phoenix the championship. We'll just let Dallas and Phoenix be co-champions and give Miami an asterisk. Let's give Dallas the championship this year too because let's face it, GS got really lucky and while Dirk wasn't "physically" hurt he was clearly "mentally" hurt. Oh wait I forgot Phoenix got screwed too, looks like we have co-champions again this year!

Don Quixote
05-26-2007, 01:27 PM
i will not respond to extremely idiotic posts

Wow, an ad hominem argument. Typical. We never see them around here. Enjoy our trophy ceremony, loser.

exstatic
05-26-2007, 01:29 PM
he was the main guy for that very good team.
So if Dirk being gone makes an asterisk in 2003, then certainly Duncan not playing in the 2000 playoffs slaps a big fat one on the laker trophy...right? It's a slippery slope, Lakerfan....

Don Quixote
05-26-2007, 01:36 PM
Lakerfan, and MavFan (if they haven't all hung themselves) for that matter, just need to shut up at this point.

They want the world to stand up and cheer whenever their team does anything good. But we win multiple trophies, MVPs, and individual honors, and all they can say is "asterisk," "biased," etc.

I guess it's just jealousy, or a sense of entitlement. They can't accept that other teams are better than they are. Does Laker- (or the recently departed Mav-)Fan want a trophy? Get a better team.

td4mvp21
05-26-2007, 01:37 PM
Lakerfan, and MavFan (if they haven't all hung themselves) for that matter, just need to shut up at this point.

They want the world to stand up and cheer whenever their team does anything good. But we win multiple trophies, MVPs, and individual honors, and all they can say is "asterisk," "biased," etc.

I guess it's just jealousy, or a sense of entitlement. They can't accept that other teams are better than they are. Does Laker- (or the recently departed Mav-)Fan want a trophy? Get a better team.

Uhh, the Lakers have won plenty. Unfortunately their team just sucks ass right now. The Mavs on the other hand....

Solid D
05-26-2007, 01:38 PM
Asterisk arguments are for losers.

This is true, exstatic.

Most basketball experts refer to the San Antonio Spurs as a model franchise for sports, much less basketball. If you choose to get hung-up and want to talk about asterisks, then...as they say in golf...excuse us, may we please play through?

exstatic
05-26-2007, 01:40 PM
...excuse us, may we please play through?
:elephant :elephant :elephant

Don Quixote
05-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Uhh, the Lakers have won plenty. Unfortunately their team just sucks ass right now. The Mavs on the other hand....

Yes they have. And those championship Laker teams, even the obnoxious ones with Shaq & Kobe, deserve all kinds of respect. You don't see us dwelling on any conspiracy theories or calling them tainted, even though you could perhaps make a case that the Game 6 vs. Sacramento (2002) was indeed marred by horrible officiating. They won em! Congratulations. And the Spurs deserve the same respect.

As for Dallas and Phoenix, they deserve none and they get none.

easjer
05-26-2007, 02:18 PM
It's ludicrous to suggest that an asterisk belong to any of our championships. The only argument that makes any sort of sense at all is the 99 championship, and that holds no water, given that while the season was shortened, all the teams played the same number of games and the playoffs were the same length as ever.

TampaDude
05-26-2007, 02:19 PM
Every team had the same opportunity that season. Only one team prevailed. The haters should shut the fuck up.

Yup...there's no asterisk next to the Spurs 1999 NBA Championship, except the one that says...

* First former ABA team to win the NBA Championship. :toast

IMHO, 1999 is still the sweetest, because it was their first. :smokin

spurs1990
05-26-2007, 02:20 PM
NBA Champions
1999 San Antonio Spurs*
'99-'00 Los Angeles Lakers
'00-'01 Los Angeles Lakers
'01-'02 Los Angeles Lakers

*shortened season

...the good news is we stick out.

MrChug
05-26-2007, 03:24 PM

Typical Lakers fan...undereducated and ignorant.

iminlakerland
05-26-2007, 03:35 PM
lets be fair all laker fans do not think that way. In 99 every team in the league had an opportunity to win the title, everyone played the same amount of games, the spurs won it. Point blank and simple.

As far as this season is concerned and the playoff series with the suns...i find it hillarious that suns fans are complaining about how unfair it was. Let's be honest no one forced diaw and stoudamire to leave the bench. As rules state clearly you are not to leave the bench at anytime during a time of altercation. They did, they got their suspension plain and simple.

These retarded * title things gotta stop.

Fillmoe
05-26-2007, 03:35 PM
the spurs are working on their second asterisk

drumplayer
05-26-2007, 03:39 PM
I always point that all of the teams in the NBA had the same shot at the title during the lockout-shortened season and the Spurs are the team that got it done.... no advantages and no excuses. I believe jealousy may be in play for those who try to illegitimized the Spurs. Perhaps, rather than calling an asterisk championship, the asterisk should be placed on the season istelf.

Some people build themselves (their team) up by tearing others (other teams) down.

Go, Spurs, Go!

bobbyjoe
05-26-2007, 03:46 PM
Phil Jackson really opened a can of worms with the * talk in 1999. Now you hear it about almost every team that wins a title at some point in their run. It's just gotten out of hand.

Extra Stout
05-26-2007, 03:48 PM
What exactly is there to argue about the asterisk?

The season was shortened. So? If somebody wants to disregard that entire season, that's their prerogative. That was Phil Jackson's point. He didn't want anything to do with a 50-game season, no matter who won. He used it as a psychological tweak later on, after he became the coach of the Lakers, since the Spurs were a major rival. His comments are about as meaningful as Shaq's "The Spurs are a WNBA team" comments. Do we need a thread to suggest witty comebacks to that?

The power of asterisk smack way back in the day was the idea that the Spurs weren't real champions, because in an 82-game season somebody else would have won the championship, supposedly. The 15-2 playoff record notwithstanding, insecure Spurs fans had no other title runs to point out as a frame of reference. Now they do. The 1999 title is just one of several within the Tim Duncan era. The Spurs are six wins away from securing their place as one of the NBA's great dynasties, and of course the fans of every other team are bitter about it.

The only power the asterisk smack has today is on account of the San Antonio Inferiority Complex, in which San Antonians collectively act like a 5'5" guy from the West Side who weighs 125 lbs. soaking wet, and always thinks he has to prove something to everybody around him.

samikeyp
05-26-2007, 03:51 PM

Exactly.

Those who bleat in support of the Jacksonian asterisk would sing a different tune if it was their team.

If the Spurs were only able to win the title because of the shortened season, what does that say of the teams who weren't even able to do it despite the shortened season as was mentioned earlier?

An asterisk in sports denotes some advantage that the team or player with said asterisk has over others. For example..when MLB originally put an asterisk on Roger Maris setting the regular season HR record. They put the asterisk there because the commish at the time felt Maris had an advantage over Ruth because Maris had 162 games to break it and Ruth did it in 154...thankfully that was removed years later.

The bottom line is that officially, per the NBA, there is no asterisk on the Spurs 1999 title. If ignorant and uneducated fools wish to live in a fantasy world....let them, they obviously have enough issues.

samikeyp
05-26-2007, 03:51 PM
Phil Jackson really opened a can of worms with the * talk in 1999. Now you hear it about almost every team that wins a title at some point in their run. It's just gotten out of hand.

agreed.

Slydragon
05-26-2007, 04:06 PM
So what if it was a short season, Why didn't your damn team win the title then.

It's the Spurs fault that those 2 don't know how to stand still.

Strike
05-26-2007, 04:35 PM

And what are the Kings working on?

"Kobe misses, Vlade tips it to Horry, the shot goes up........IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Credit Vlade with the assist, dickhead.

td4mvp21
05-26-2007, 04:37 PM

And the Kings haven't even started working on their first. Unless they are making plans while sitting at home watching the 2007 NBA Playoffs.

bull62400
05-26-2007, 06:52 PM

Discuss...
i dont know if someone has already mentioned this, but the playoffs is a whole other season from the reglar season. some argue that the 82 game season is too long. plus we were OBVIOUSLY the best team that year. we were 16-2 in the playoffs and we still hold the record for the longest winning streak in the playoffs (12). so if any one wants to argue because the 82 game season was way too short is a flawed argument because the argument has nothing to do with the playoffs.

Hillcrest
05-26-2007, 07:04 PM

Discuss...

Part of being a good basketball player is presence of mind and not getting stupid suspensions.

Suns scored 100+ in 5 of the 6 games, I believe, which is supposed to be their "can't-lose" threshold. But, like always, we outran them and we still beat them.

They were only missing Amare for one game...and they did well and choked to lose that game...like we had done the game before.

We beat them to 4 games fair and square. It's no one else's fault that they lost game 6.

ImpartialObserver
05-26-2007, 09:28 PM

Discuss...
I don't believe the asterisk argument would have had any legs if the Spurs had defeated a Jordan led Bulls team.

That said, the first retort I would use is had Jordan not retired and the Bulls won again, would anyone have said that the Bulls championship deserved an asterisk? The second retort I would use is that the Spurs played a full slate of playoff games like every other champion and really, in the NBA, the playoffs are all that matter as the Mavs proved this year.

DubMcDub
05-26-2007, 09:34 PM
Don't let it bother you because in 20 years all anyone will remember is who won the title, not what jackass got run for game 5 in the playoffs because he was too dumb to stay on the bench. The Suns got whipped in game 6 back at full strength so i am not getting this whole they would have beat the Spurs argument had the suspensions never happened.

No one's even gonna remember who won the title outside of SA. :lol

TampaDude
05-26-2007, 09:34 PM
Seems like EVERY ONE of the 3s and long jumpers by the Jazz go in...we can't beat them if they keep doing that.

TampaDude
05-26-2007, 09:35 PM
Spurs are cracking...wheels coming off...Jazz got this one.

TampaDude
05-26-2007, 09:36 PM
This is just like Game 4 against the Suns...Spurs got in foul trouble early and just got OWNED.

MrChug
05-26-2007, 09:42 PM
TampaDude...wrong thread.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-26-2007, 10:16 PM
There were 30 teams competing for the Championship, playing by the same rules. we were the team that won it all. Where's the contention again?

MrChug
05-26-2007, 11:22 PM
My best comeback has been something like:

"True or False: the champion of the league is always the winner of the LAST GAME played right? Celtics, Lakers, Bulls, etc? Didn't they win the last game of the season, as well as every other NBA champion before and after them? Yes? Well...let me ask you WHO won the last game in the 98-99 NBA season??"

...then let them coil and "Uhhh...ummm...uuhhhh" their way to shutting the fuck up. :downspin:

Don Quixote
05-26-2007, 11:42 PM

Which, with that logic, is worse than having no trophies or rings, like Sacramento?

Don Quixote
05-26-2007, 11:44 PM
No one's even gonna remember who won the title outside of SA. :lol

And you're praying that no one remembers your epic choke jobs the past two seasons. :toast

UV Ray
05-26-2007, 11:51 PM
Don't let it bother you because in 20 years all anyone will remember is who won the title...
So what you're saying here is...that...the Spurs will have to wait 20 years for THE ASTERISK to be forgotten.

Don Quixote
05-26-2007, 11:56 PM
So what you're saying here is...that...the Spurs will have to wait 20 years for THE ASTERISK to be forgotten.

Maybe, but it'll take about 20 min. for the Pistons' sorry butts to be forgotten, after they've lost -- again -- to the Spurs in the Finals. Enjoy Cleveland while you've got em.

Dave McNulla
05-27-2007, 12:01 AM

Discuss...
1. where was your comment when your team was fighting for that championship?
2. 1999 was different and tough. spurs were the toughest team that season.
3. sour grapes
4. ignore them, it turned out they were just trying to annoy me.

Fast Dunk
05-27-2007, 12:36 AM

Discuss...

Get pass the Jazz first then you can talk...

SRJ
05-27-2007, 02:11 AM
Here is my argument against the 1999 asterisk. It contains elements of other arguments made in this thread.

1) To say that the Spurs deserve an asterisk for that title is to suggest that they had some sort of an advantage, as if they played 50 games while the other teams had to play 82 - and of course that wasn't the case. In fact, the Spurs actually made it tougher on themselves, starting 6-8 in a 50 game season. Maybe the other teams get the asterisk for not keeping the Spurs out of the picture after a bad start.

2) All of the top players and coaches participated in the season except for Michael Jordan and Phil Jackson. Neither Jackson nor Jordan sat out because of some sort of objection to a shortened season, and Jordan retired. (Of course, this was back when athlete retirements still meant something. Since it was Jordan retiring, we should have known better) Anyway, Shaq played and Kobe played. Malone played and Stockton played. Iverson played and won a scoring title. Vince Carter was the Rookie of the Year. Grant Hill had a great season then, one of his last. Penny Hardaway had one of his last good years. Shawn Kemp had his last good season. Alonzo Mourning went 20/10 and led the league in blocks. Gary Payton had a good individual season. Charles Barkley was second in rebounding to Chris Webber, who went 20/13 and had his first truly great season as a pro. Pre-injury Antonio McDyess was an elite force, averaging 20/10 for Denver. An aging Hakeem still put up 19/9 and finished 8th in blocks. Gay-basher Hardaway put up 17/7 for Miami. Kevin Garnett had his first 20/10 season. Old Man Ewing averaged 17/9 and 2 blocks. Jason Kidd averaged 17/11 and 6 boards.

For an asterisk season, that's an awful lot of names we know and production we're used to. I don't see any scabs, nobodies, or omissions on that list.

3) The playoffs weren't shorter, although I guess they were real short for the Lakers and Blazers. By the way, the Forum is closed, motherfuckers!

UV Ray
05-27-2007, 05:38 PM
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa179/xuy675/playoffrun3.gif

GrandeDavid
05-27-2007, 05:45 PM

Discuss...

I continue on with my busy, fun life and could care less because its sports. Smack will always be talked by insecure losers. Its like if you asterisk the Rockets' two championships because Jordan decided to take a two year hiatus from the game. A championship is still a championship. Someone has to win them!

GrandeDavid
05-27-2007, 05:48 PM
Excuses, excuses.

It's not the Spurs fault that the Lakers haven't won shit since 2002.

2000 champions* - Tim Duncan injured, Portland gave the WCF's to you all
2001 champions** - Spurs not at full strength
2002 champions*** - Vlade Divac gave the ball to Horry so he could hit the winning shot

Please, it's 4 years later and Dirk still hasn't won shit with his shitty soft team.

Great post! :clap :clap I couldn't agree more with you.

GrandeDavid
05-27-2007, 05:49 PM

:clap :clap :clap :clap

Way to beat these p*ssy ass haters down. Damn troll bitches.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
05-27-2007, 06:10 PM
Unless the * means taking the rings away, who cares?

The * is deserved, but it doesn't diminish what they accomplished IMO.

sheriee84
05-27-2007, 08:27 PM
Does the * make the ring tarnish? NO
Does it make the diamonds turn to glass? NO
Does it make the trophy lighter? NO
Does it make the BIG ass celebration here in SA any shorter? Definate NO
So really the * doesn't mean a thing to me!!!

spurs1990
05-27-2007, 09:26 PM
Here is my argument against the 1999 asterisk. It contains elements of other arguments made in this thread.

1) To say that the Spurs deserve an asterisk for that title is to suggest that they had some sort of an advantage, as if they played 50 games while the other teams had to play 82 - and of course that wasn't the case. In fact, the Spurs actually made it tougher on themselves, starting 6-8 in a 50 game season. Maybe the other teams get the asterisk for not keeping the Spurs out of the picture after a bad start.

2) All of the top players and coaches participated in the season except for Michael Jordan and Phil Jackson. Neither Jackson nor Jordan sat out because of some sort of objection to a shortened season, and Jordan retired. (Of course, this was back when athlete retirements still meant something. Since it was Jordan retiring, we should have known better) Anyway, Shaq played and Kobe played. Malone played and Stockton played. Iverson played and won a scoring title. Vince Carter was the Rookie of the Year. Grant Hill had a great season then, one of his last. Penny Hardaway had one of his last good years. Shawn Kemp had his last good season. Alonzo Mourning went 20/10 and led the league in blocks. Gary Payton had a good individual season. Charles Barkley was second in rebounding to Chris Webber, who went 20/13 and had his first truly great season as a pro. Pre-injury Antonio McDyess was an elite force, averaging 20/10 for Denver. An aging Hakeem still put up 19/9 and finished 8th in blocks. Gay-basher Hardaway put up 17/7 for Miami. Kevin Garnett had his first 20/10 season. Old Man Ewing averaged 17/9 and 2 blocks. Jason Kidd averaged 17/11 and 6 boards.

For an asterisk season, that's an awful lot of names we know and production we're used to. I don't see any scabs, nobodies, or omissions on that list.

3) The playoffs weren't shorter, although I guess they were real short for the Lakers and Blazers. By the way, the Forum is closed, motherfuckers!

Excellent post and great argument....however...

The NBA has only had ONE 50 game regular season...so that one particular season sticks out versus the others. I think it was highly unusual the way that season played out..I'm not sure teams even had a training camp..certainly no preseason games.

If that season began in November '98, it would be plausible to think the Lakers would have gelled and been a beast in May, akin to the following 3 years.

I tend to focus on the '03 and '05 rings because no one can say anything about them.

Strike
05-27-2007, 09:32 PM
Excellent post and great argument....however...

The NBA has only had ONE 50 game regular season...so that one particular season sticks out versus the others. I think it was highly unusual the way that season played out..I'm not sure teams even had a training camp..certainly no preseason games.

If that season began in November '98, it would be plausible to think the Lakers would have gelled and been a beast in May, akin to the following 3 years.

I tend to focus on the '03 and '05 rings because no one can say anything about them.

The Spurs can't be blamed for the Lakers chemistry issues any more than the shortened season. It's on THEM to get along and become a team instead of 12 players. If a team can't get along, that's their own damn problem.

DudleyDawson
05-27-2007, 09:39 PM
Was the postseason shortened? No. So what's their argument?

Fast Dunk
05-28-2007, 01:31 AM
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa179/xuy675/playoffrun3.gif

I like the picture, but they won't even get pass the Jazz

Man of Steel
05-28-2007, 03:16 AM
My response usually consists of 2 words.

The first word starts with an "F."

The second word is "You"

UV Ray
05-28-2007, 08:42 PM
I like the picture, but they won't even get pass the Jazz
If the Spurs lose tonight, there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth on this board like you've never seen. Squealing like spoiled piglets about all the bad calls and NBA conspiracies. There will be a few (claiming to represent the majority) who will say that it wasn't the officiating, but simply lack of team effort and therefore they are not like the sniveling Suns. But even those few will believe deep inside themselves that they were victims.

On the other hand, if the Spurs win, Spurs fan will continue to delude themselves that they actually deserve to be in the WCF by merit.