PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day Weekend Rant

spurschick
05-26-2007, 02:47 PM
Every Memorial Day, we are asked to take a moment to think about those that have sacrificed and to be appreciative of what we have. One thing that I appreciate is this forum in which I can come to read and participate in discussions about basketball and our beloved Spurs. Unfortunately, things have taken a weird turn the past few weeks.

With all of the bad things that happen in the world, there has always been one thing that has brought people together and provided a little distraction – sports. With high gas prices, troops dying, flooding, poisoned pet food, school shootings and all the other bullshit, one bright light has been that the Spurs are on a championship run. Yet, for some reason, some Spurs fans don't seem to be enjoying it. Instead of reveling in being in the playoffs, some seem to find more enjoyment in bitching about petty things like t-shirts and PA announcers. Have we gotten so bored with the Tony's a ball hog/Timmy Sucks/Trade Manu/Fire Pop threads that we have decided to turn our negative attentions elsewhere? Like on each other?! It's been unbelievably depressing to read threads by Spurs fans, calling other Spurs fans out for not going to the games. If they don't go, they suck. If they go and aren't loud enough, they suck. If they don't wear black, they suck. If they leave early, they suck. (OK, that last one is true.) I fully expect trolls to come on the forum and give us shit, but for Spurs fan to be calling out Spurs fan is just... sad. If our team had that kind of chemistry, free t-shirts would be the last thing we'd be talking about right now.

The people who shell out crazy money to sit in the front row are no better than the people huddled around a 13" TV set up in the driveway. The guy who spends his last $20 on a ticket isn't any better than the guy who chooses to spend his last $20 on diapers. As I was driving to the store earlier, I saw a little boy waving a Manu jersey out a car window. He didn't need a car flag, or anybody giving him a t-shirt. His support is coming from the heart. He gets it.

In the end, it's not about:
Who has money and who doesn't
Who goes to the games and who doesn't
Who cheers for 48 minutes and who doesn't
Who has car flags and who doesn't
Stan Kelly
"Y'all ready for this"
or
Free t-shirts

It's about the love of basketball and the love for the San Antonio Spurs, win or lose.

Am I expecting Spurs fans to be all sunshine and lollipops? Hell no.
Trade Beno!
Hey Spurs FO, would it kill you to draft a fucking American once in a while? (No offense to our international players, without whom we might not have as many trophies)

I only wish that we could put bitching about the stupid shit, like game music, on hold til our season is officially over, and appreciate that we are up 2-0 on the WCF.

:soapbox: I'll get down now.

T Park
05-26-2007, 02:49 PM
a fucking men.

Im tired of hearing hte bitching about "Spur fan" and how much they blow.

rasho8
05-26-2007, 02:50 PM
well said.

makedamnsure
05-26-2007, 02:50 PM
Amen. we could be fishing right now so crap like that has to be the last of our worries.

TDMVPDPOY
05-26-2007, 03:03 PM
spurschick ftw :D:D:D

SpursDynasty
05-26-2007, 03:05 PM
Every Memorial Day, we are asked to take a moment to think about those that have sacrificed and to be appreciative of what we have. One thing that I appreciate is this forum in which I can come to read and participate in discussions about basketball and our beloved Spurs. Unfortunately, things have taken a weird turn the past few weeks.

With all of the bad things that happen in the world, there has always been one thing that has brought people together and provided a little distraction – sports. With high gas prices, troops dying, flooding, poisoned pet food, school shootings and all the other bullshit, one bright light has been that the Spurs are on a championship run. Yet, for some reason, some Spurs fans don't seem to be enjoying it. Instead of reveling in being in the playoffs, some seem to find more enjoyment in bitching about petty things like t-shirts and PA announcers. Have we gotten so bored with the Tony's a ball hog/Timmy Sucks/Trade Manu/Fire Pop threads that we have decided to turn our negative attentions elsewhere? Like on each other?! It's been unbelievably depressing to read threads by Spurs fans, calling other Spurs fans out for not going to the games. If they don't go, they suck. If they go and aren't loud enough, they suck. If they don't wear black, they suck. If they leave early, they suck. (OK, that last one is true.) I fully expect trolls to come on the forum and give us shit, but for Spurs fan to be calling out Spurs fan is just... sad. If our team had that kind of chemistry, free t-shirts would be the last thing we'd be talking about right now.

The people who shell out crazy money to sit in the front row are no better than the people huddled around a 13" TV set up in the driveway. The guy who spends his last $20 on a ticket isn't any better than the guy who chooses to spend his last $20 on diapers. As I was driving to the store earlier, I saw a little boy waving a Manu jersey out a car window. He didn't need a car flag, or anybody giving him a t-shirt. His support is coming from the heart. He gets it.

Stan Kelly
"Y'all ready for this"
or
Free t-shirts

It's about the love of basketball and the love for the San Antonio Spurs, win or lose.

Trade Beno!
Hey Spurs FO, would it kill you to draft a fucking American once in a while? (No offense to our international players, without whom we might not have as many trophies)

I only wish that we could put bitching about the stupid shit, like game music, on hold til our season is officially over, and appreciate that we are up 2-0 on the WCF.

Can I meet spurschick?

She is right. Ever since February 11 (25-6 to finish the reg. season, the last 3 losses with resting starters for the playoffs) or so, the date of the official Spurs turnaround, there isn't a single team in the NBA that can beat the Spurs in a 7 game series. BE HAPPY that it isn't February and we're sitting at 33-18 and being old and unathletic and declining (everyone's complaints for the majority of season).

ABC sucks! :lol

KEDA
05-26-2007, 03:06 PM
IIRC when I heard this the first time it was

sunshine and FUCKING lollipops

KEDA
05-26-2007, 03:06 PM
and

2-0

BITCHES!

SpursFanFirst
05-26-2007, 03:09 PM

Stan Kelly
"Y'all ready for this"
or
Free t-shirts

Trade Beno!

:clap FINALLY! Thank you!

Let's get another win tonight! :hungry:

Summers
05-26-2007, 03:15 PM

Stay on it, girl. When you're right, you're right. :)

whottt
05-26-2007, 03:18 PM
Nice post Spurschick...

I just diagree with one thing...I am definitely better than everyone else.

timvp
05-26-2007, 03:18 PM
If a Spurs fan takes time out of their life to post on a Spurs message board, that gives them immunity to any questions concerning their loyalty to the team.

spurschick
05-26-2007, 03:28 PM

Well, that I already knew. :lol

T Park
05-26-2007, 03:31 PM
If a Spurs fan takes time out of their life to post on a Spurs message board, that gives them immunity to any questions concerning their loyalty to the team.

Im making that my gosh darn Sig.

Suck on that my hatas :)

RashoFan
05-26-2007, 03:32 PM
I must disagree with you on something Whott....You are NOT better looking than SpursChick....(plus she is smart lady)....
sorry, somebody had to tell you....

Shelly
05-26-2007, 03:34 PM
Good rant, SC!

But... I'll never give up my hatred for "Y'all Ready For This"!!! :lol

NEVER!

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-26-2007, 03:39 PM
a fucking men.

Im tired of hearing hte bitching about "Spur fan" and how much they blow.

Some of us actually prefer if Spurs fans blow, but only if they're attractive and female. :hat

whottt
05-26-2007, 03:44 PM
Some of us actually prefer if Spurs fans blow, but only if they're attractive and female. :hat

And for non aggies...human.

thewatcher
05-26-2007, 03:59 PM

excuses, excuses... :lol ;)

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-26-2007, 04:04 PM
And for non aggies...human.

Nope, for Aggies too.

T Park
05-26-2007, 04:54 PM
Some of us actually prefer if Spurs fans blow, but only if they're attractive and female

"Ah, no question" - Vinny Del Negro

:lol

ShoogarBear
05-26-2007, 05:09 PM
So I take it there won't be T-shirts for game 5 or the Finals then?

ploto
05-26-2007, 05:25 PM
Memorial Day is about something that matters-- basketball is and will always be just a game.

Jimcs50
05-26-2007, 06:09 PM
I'll never give up my hatred for "Y'all Ready For This"!!! :lol

NEVER!

And fans that need promps from Stan Kelly.

:toast