PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Authentic or Swingman Jersey?

mikekim
05-26-2007, 05:46 PM
Okay, I have a few questions about jerseys that I hope someone in here could help me with.

I recently bought a Ginobili Adidas Swingman jersey (road colors) for my brother for his birthday, for just under 50 bucks on ebay. I was wondering if this is a good price and if anyone else has found it for much cheaper anywhere else.

I also bought a Tim Duncan Reebok Swingman jersey (road colors) for 50 bucks on Amazon. I know the brand is different but I think Reebok and Adidas are the same thing (Adidas bought out Reebok). I read that Reebok was the sole producer of authentic, swingman, or replica NBA jerseys since 2004-05. (Their contract was from 2001, but Nike, Champion, and Puma's contract didn't expire until 2004, which explains all the Nike and Champion jerseys that are around.) When Adidas bought out Reebok in 2006, the NBA allowed them to rework the contract and now all jerseys are made under the Adidas name. But...has anyone noticed any differences between the Reebok Swingman and the Adidas Swingman other than the placement of their logos??

Also....I've had a home Manu reebok swingman jersey for about 2 years and I just now noticed the difference between it and the authentic (I know...I should've noticed sooner but oh well): the shimmery, shiny parts on the sides of the authentic jerseys (shiny black stripe on the home, shiny silver stripe on the road) aren't on the swingman jerseys. Also the thin stripes that outline the sides aren't shiny on the swingman either. Why is that? Is that just them trying to distinguish an authentic from a swingman? I'd imagine the shimmery material isn't a particularly expensive material...so I wouldn't think cost was the issue.
Does anyone in here have both an authentic and a swingman jersey?? If so...is there any difference in the material of the jerseys (other than the shiny parts)?? Are the jersey holes bigger or smaller or what? Are the numbers on the authentic actual, real cloth (unlike the plastic sort of stuff on the swingmans)??

My final inquiry (sorry, last one, I promise) is sort of about ebay itself. I'm not a regular ebay shopper and after I bought that Manu jersey for my brother for what I consider to be a fairly decent price, I went back on there and checked completed listings...there were AUTOGRAPHED parker and ginobili AUTHENTIC jerseys for less than a 100 bucks! There were also a bunch of authentic jerseys (some were indeed from the older, "outdated" reebok brand name....which i don't care about) selling in the 50-75 range that I bought my Swingman jersey for. How legitimate are these jerseys? Has anyone in here bought the authentic jerseys from ebay? I noticed that one or two of the listings were blatently fake....but all of the other ones looked pretty legit. So should I just return my Duncan and Ginobili swingman jerseys I recently bought and just go for the authentic ones on ebay??

If you could only answer just one of the inquires, your response would still be muuuch appreciated (if you could answer ALL of them, it would be even better!). Thanks a lot for all your help, guys!

mikekim
05-27-2007, 01:43 AM
Hmmm...I guess no one knows...

A while back, when searching was up, I read through a little more than a half-dozen threads on this...but none of these questions were answered (or answered sufficiently).

Oh well, if anyone does come across this and can help out, please post.

(*bump the thread, to give it one last gasp of life*)

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-27-2007, 01:45 AM
First off, Adidas did not buy out Reebok.

Reebok used to be the official supplier of the NBA, now it's Adidas. That's why you'll usually find Reebok NBA gear cheaper.

I bought a Reebok Swingman Parker jersey for about $25 at Sports Authority on their clearance rack. $50 for your Adidas seems like a good deal.

nacho
05-27-2007, 01:48 AM
the only thing swinging? is your Red neck , NASCAR watching, bandwagon Spurs fan neck :lmao

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/Spurs/pop-sucks-8.jpg

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-27-2007, 01:51 AM
the only thing swinging? is your Red neck , NASCAR watching, bandwagon Spurs fan neck :lmao

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/Spurs/pop-sucks-8.jpg

How hard was it for you to scrub off "I hate you, Toyota" after your wife rescued you following that rejection call?

mikekim
05-27-2007, 02:10 AM
First off, Adidas did not buy out Reebok.

Reebok used to be the official supplier of the NBA, now it's Adidas. That's why you'll usually find Reebok NBA gear cheaper.

I bought a Reebok Swingman Parker jersey for about $25 at Sports Authority on their clearance rack. $50 for your Adidas seems like a good deal.

I know Wikipedia is not the most dependable of sources but...

"In August 2005, Adidas declared its intention to buy Anglo-American rival Reebok for $3.8 billion (US). This takeover was completed in January 2006 and meant that the company will have business sales closer to those of Nike in North America. The acquisition of Reebok will also allow Adidas to compete with Nike worldwide as the number two athletic shoemaker in the world....

On April 11, 2006, Adidas announced an 11-year deal to become the official NBA apparel provider. They will make NBA, NBDL, and WNBA jerseys and products as well as team-colored versions of the "Superstar" basketball shoe. This deal (worth over $400 million) takes the place of the previous 10-year Reebok deal that was put in place in 2001. When Reebok was acquired by Adidas, the NBA was allowed to find a new apparel provider, which would turn out to be Adidas."

They do have links to better sources that back up the info though...

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-27-2007, 02:12 AM
I know Wikipedia is not the most dependable of sources but...

"In August 2005, Adidas declared its intention to buy Anglo-American rival Reebok for $3.8 billion (US). This takeover was completed in January 2006 and meant that the company will have business sales closer to those of Nike in North America. The acquisition of Reebok will also allow Adidas to compete with Nike worldwide as the number two athletic shoemaker in the world....

On April 11, 2006, Adidas announced an 11-year deal to become the official NBA apparel provider. They will make NBA, NBDL, and WNBA jerseys and products as well as team-colored versions of the "Superstar" basketball shoe. This deal (worth over $400 million) takes the place of the previous 10-year Reebok deal that was put in place in 2001. When Reebok was acquired by Adidas, the NBA was allowed to find a new apparel provider, which would turn out to be Adidas."

They do have links to better sources that back up the info though...

Well color me surprised.

Okay, I'd like my first remark stricken from the record.

mouse.
05-27-2007, 02:28 AM
How hard was it for you to scrub off "I hate you, Toyota" after your wife rescued you following that rejection call?

Ask your rice crispy eating Father, You Ipod fixing ,Soy Suace drinking,peal harbor bombing,Godzilla watching, Rail road building, Chop stick eating, who owns the "one hung low" Korean only 24 hours or sooner, cleaners on 69th and dirty Sanchez street, across from Your nappy headed avenue where your mother blew me for 10 dollars Avenue? who also did my shirt, cleaned my Shirt, and went trough my pockets so you could get all my background/Info? It's a miracle you can travel around the country covering the San Antonio Missions.

Your one bad ass multi task'errr , you go BoY!

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/Spurs/SR.gif

MI21
05-27-2007, 02:31 AM
Here is some points about jerseys.

The Swingman line of jerseys has been around since about 2000/2001, under Nike, Reebok and Adidas. All 3 brands have maintained more or less the same quality and size, except Reebok and Adidas have 2 inch droptail at the rear of the jersey. Nike ones are probably a tad smaller, but the difference isn't much. If an XL Reebok or Adidas swingman fits you, then a Nike one will as well.

I find the Swingman the best of all the jerseys, because Authentic jerseys are a lot more expensive and also have the horrible horrible horrible (did i say horrible) shiny look to them, and actually look cheaper than a Swingman! They also sometimes come with the terrible wide shoulders that are the new fasion for some reason. Much like the cheaper replica jerseys, they look more like a vest than a singlet.

$50 for a New With Tags Adidas Manu swingman is ok, not great, but not bad at all. I got a NWT NIKE Parker Grey Swingman the other day for $17US... so it depends on what you are searching for and what brands. I often prefer the Nike versions because it is the exact same product as the newer ones and are a lot cheaper. If you search hard enough though, you can find brand new Adidas stuff for cheap to. I got an Orange Cavs Retro for $19US the other day. But you do have to be careful, because there is a lot of fake shit going around on Ebay... if you have any more questions or are looking at a particular item and wont to know if its real or not, feel free to PM me about it.

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-27-2007, 02:35 AM
Ask your rice crispy eating Father, You Ipod fixing ,Soy Suace drinking,peal harbor bombing,Godzilla watching, Rail road building, Chop stick eating, who owns the "one hung low" Korean only 24 hours or sooner, cleaners on 69th and dirty Sanchez street, across from Your nappy headed avenue where your mother blew me for 10 dollars Avenue? who also did my shirt, cleaned my Shirt, and went trough my pockets so you could get all my background/Info? It's a miracle you can travel around the country covering the San Antonio Missions.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/Spurs/SR.gif

It's amazing your comedy career hasn't taken off yet.

mikekim
05-27-2007, 02:37 AM

Umm...who is this guy and what is he saying (I know he typed it out...but i still don't get it)???

I've heard about this mouse guy and i think most people on this board just kind of look at him as some annoying little cousin to laugh off and stuff...i dunno, could be wrong

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-27-2007, 02:41 AM
Umm...who is this guy and what is he saying (I know he typed it out...but i still don't get it)???

I've heard about this mouse guy and i think most people on this board just kind of look at him as some annoying little cousin to laugh off and stuff...i dunno, could be wrong

Here's all you need to know about Mouse.

He gives blowjobs for bus fare so that he can get downtown to get paid to give handjobs.

mikekim
05-27-2007, 02:44 AM
Here is some points about jerseys.

The Swingman line of jerseys has been around since about 2000/2001, under Nike, Reebok and Adidas. All 3 brands have maintained more or less the same quality and size, except Reebok and Adidas have 2 inch droptail at the rear of the jersey. Nike ones are probably a tad smaller, but the difference isn't much. If an XL Reebok or Adidas swingman fits you, then a Nike one will as well.

I find the Swingman the best of all the jerseys, because Authentic jerseys are a lot more expensive and also have the horrible horrible horrible (did i say horrible) shiny look to them, and actually look cheaper than a Swingman! They also sometimes come with the terrible wide shoulders that are the new fasion for some reason. Much like the cheaper replica jerseys, they look more like a vest than a singlet.

$50 for a New With Tags Adidas Manu swingman is ok, not great, but not bad at all. I got a NWT NIKE Parker Grey Swingman the other day for $17US... so it depends on what you are searching for and what brands. I often prefer the Nike versions because it is the exact same product as the newer ones and are a lot cheaper. If you search hard enough though, you can find brand new Adidas stuff for cheap to. I got an Orange Cavs Retro for $19US the other day. But you do have to be careful, because there is a lot of fake shit going around on Ebay... if you have any more questions or are looking at a particular item and wont to know if its real or not, feel free to PM me about it.

Thanks a lot man. I might be pm'ing you about some autographed authentic ones that I saw on ebay...they look real to me...

And about the shiny-ness....isn't that how the real, authentic ones that the players wear look like?? (Like the shiny material on the sides of the jersey that contrast with the main color of the jersey...along with the shiny trim)
Is the material of the jersey (like the main part of the jersey--where the numbers and name are) itself different?

Edit: Yeah...I should've just pm'ed you

mouse.
05-27-2007, 02:47 AM
Meet me live at the next SpursTalk round table if you have the balls!

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/Spurs/finley-flame-new.jpg