PDA

View Full Version : Tom Orsborn: Jacque and Beno: Two pros

Spurs Brazil
05-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Tom Orsborn: Jacque and Beno: Two pros
SALT LAKE CITY - With Jacque Vaughn turning in solid minutes against Denver, Phoenix and Utah, Beno Udrih isn't likely to get off the bench much during the remainder of the playoffs.

Udrih had a combined 22 seconds of mop-up duty in the first two games of the Western Conference Finals. In 13 playoffs games this postseason, he's registered nine DNPs.

Still, the third-year point guard from Slovenia is doing what he can to contribute, his teammates and Gregg Popovich say.

"He's great," Popovich said at the Spurs shootaround. "He's been a real professional. He would rather play, but he has practiced and given everything. He's been a real fine professional."

Said Tony Parker: "Beno's been great. He's not complaining. He's been very professional."

Popovich says the same is true of Vaughn, who is averaging 1.8 points, 1.1 assists and 9.0 minutes in the playoffs.

"He's totally grown in a maturity sense," Popovich said. "He's a professional every day in practice and in the games. He knows his limitations. He knows his strengths. He brings it every night. He commands the respect of his teammates because of the way he conducts himself. He's just a quality person and player."

That's an assessment shared by Jazz coach Jerry Sloan. Vaughn, who is in his 10th season, was selected by Utah in the first round (27th overall) of the 1997 NBA Draft and spent his first four seasons with the Jazz.

"He's a wonderful person," Sloan said. "No. 1, he's a wonderful guy. He's very dedicated to trying to do the right thing every single day. He's had a great career because he's kept his mouth shut, he's worked hard and done everything coaches have asked him to do. Those people are hard to find, because most of them get at the end of the bench and they are smarter than everybody else in the world. They've got all the answers for everything. A guy like him, they are special people."

Sloan said he wouldn't be surprised to see Vaughn one day become a successful coach.

"He can do whatever he wants to do," Sloan said. "He is one of those guys who comes along and has a great attitude. You can put him in any kind of job and he would do well because he's not afraid to work."

Sloan is right about needing guys at the end of the bench who are real pros. It makes for a harmonious locker room, which is something the Spurs certainly have with Vaughn and Udrih setting a great example for the Matt Bonners, James Whites and Melvin Elys of the team.

duncan228
05-26-2007, 06:48 PM
Beno takes a lot of crap on this board, but I've always liked him. He can't bring us a whole lot on the court but he feels like a little brother. You can't depend on him in the big moments but you like him around.

Besides, he'll get a ring whether he plays or not.

Bruno
05-26-2007, 06:56 PM
I really like Beno's attitude on the bench, good cheerleader.
Beno is a good nba player... when he doesn't play.

blackbucket
05-26-2007, 07:53 PM

:lmao

In that case, sign me up! I could be a hall of famer!

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-26-2007, 08:58 PM
Beno takes a lot of crap on this board, but I've always liked him. He can't bring us a whole lot ever and plays like your grandmother. You can't depend on him at all and you'd like to get some D-League prospect in his roster spot.

FTFY.

ploto
05-27-2007, 12:45 AM
Still, the third-year point guard from Slovenia is doing what he can to contribute, his teammates and Gregg Popovich say.

"He's great," Popovich said at the Spurs shootaround. "He's been a real professional. He would rather play, but he has practiced and given everything. He's been a real fine professional."

Why am I not surprised with only 5 replies to these postitive comments about Beno?

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-27-2007, 12:50 AM
Why am I not surprised with only 5 replies to these postitive comments about Beno?

Well, there was that little game they played tonight.

mikejones99
05-27-2007, 01:12 AM
He would get double figures on most teams.

The Truth #6
05-27-2007, 01:45 AM
He's going to be here next year because his trade value must be extremely low after watching him suck so much this last year. I can't believe how much he's regressed. It's disheartening.

velik_m
05-27-2007, 01:49 AM
They're trying to up his price, before they trade him.

venitian navigator
05-27-2007, 03:29 AM

Really, Beno is a good nba player when he doesn't play limited minutes in a back up role...
He's a good passer, shooter and scorer but not a very good ball handler, expecially against the pressing...and that's really bad for a back up role 'cause give to the opponent the chance to decide exactly when put defensive pressure against the play maker.

duncan2k5
05-27-2007, 06:21 AM
beno is waaaaaay better than vaughn...Jesus