PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs. Jazz Game 3 - Grades

timvp
05-27-2007, 12:20 AM
Tim Duncan
Duncan didn't play a smart game. He got in foul trouble early and that got his game off rhythm. Then he compounded his problems by not attacking quickly on the low block, which led to eight turnovers. He could never really get it going tonight. The Jazz beat him up early and drew some big fouls on him. He's going to have to come with a smarter effort in Game 4 and try to avoid foul trouble.
Grade: D

Manu Ginobili
Ginobili wasn't as aggressive as he needed to be. With the Jazz upping their level of physicality, this would have been a perfect night for Ginobili to drive the lane constantly and live at the line. He was avoiding contact rather than seeking it like he usually does. He didn't play that bad but the Spurs need a more hard nosed effort in Game 4.
Grade: C+

Tony Parker
Parker kept the Spurs in the game early. He was the main reason why the Spurs kept the lead for as long as they did with Duncan in foul trouble and none of the role players producing. He might have been the only Spur who came out with the proper aggressiveness and effort needed to beat the Jazz at their home. His second half play tailed off after a very good first half, so he has a good amount of room to improve.
Grade: B+

Bruce Bowen
Bowen is going to have to figure out a way to slow down Deron Williams. So far in the series, Williams has done pretty much anything he's wanted. Either Bowen has to find a way or Pop has to take Bowen off of Williams. Offensively, Bowen did what he usually does -- take what the defensive gives him. Not too much to complain about on the end of the court.
Grade: C-

Fabricio Oberto
The only player with a positive plus/minus was Oberto at a +2. He injured his thumb and got in foul trouble, so that limited him to 26 minutes. The Spurs could have used him for more minutes tonight. Oberto wasn't being smart with his fouls and had a number of cheap ones.
Grade: C+

Michael Finley
Finley was said to be having back problems and his play showed it. He forced up some bad shots and his defense wasn't as good as it's been. Hopefully he can get healthy because the Spurs will need him in this series and the rest of the way. Playing only 17 minutes when the Spurs needed someone who could score is not a good sign for the status of his back.

Brent Barry
Barry finally scored a point on the road for the first time in the playoffs. That's the good news. The bad news is he played pretty damn bad. If he wasn't missing wide open threes, he was getting lit up by Gordon Giricek. With Finley slowed by injury, it would have been nice to see Barry step up. Maybe next time.

Francisco Elson
Considering he's Francisco Elson, Elson didn't play that bad tonight. He had some horrible defensive possessions, but also mixed in a nice block and some good rebounds. He played his role well enough.
Grade: B

Robert Horry
Horry had an up and down game. He had a good block and hit his first basket of the series. But he also appeared overmatched against Carlos Boozer on the low blocks and wasn't as fast as he normally is on switches. It'd also be nice to get more than three rebounds in 21 minutes of play. The Spurs need a vintage Horry performance in Game 4.

Jacque Vaughn
How the hell is Vaughn in the NBA? This was one of the most pitiful performances I've seen out of a Spur. He was a team worst -24 and made Deron Williams look like Michael Jordan when he attempted to guard him. Falling down on a crossover by Williams hopefully signaled to Pop that Vaughn is not the answer to slow down Williams. The less Vaughn plays, the better.

Pop
First off, I have to say that Pop deserves some slack because he had so many players not show up that not even Red Auerbach was going to pull out this win. That said, he had numerous decisions that left me wondering WTF he was thinking. Going with Jacque Vaughn at shooting guard might be the oddest thing I've ever seen out of Pop. If it wasn't that, it was going small against a powerful Jazz team. Pop was desperate and none of his desperation moves paid off.

duncan228
05-27-2007, 12:22 AM
Have we ever won when Duncan gets a 'D'?

MannyIsGod
05-27-2007, 12:22 AM
Can we kidnap Vaughn and keep him locked in a basement until the playoffs are over?

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-27-2007, 12:31 AM
I give timvp an F for this post. Giving Vaughn a D compromises the legitimacy of your grading system.

Vaughn should have been an F all the way.

aaronstampler
05-27-2007, 12:32 AM
Good job with the grades LJ. You're one of the few people on here who's taking the loss calmly and rationally. It's like Spurs fans expected the team to go undefeated the rest of the way...

I wish Pop could ditch the Jacque Vaughn experiment. The guy stopped being a defensive asset for us once the playoffs started and we started playing nothing but all-stars. It's not like we're clamoring for Beno to play or anything. It's not like that's our only other alternative. Just run Manu or Brent at backup point. I don't think the defense will double off them like they do for Vaughn.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-27-2007, 12:36 AM
Using Manu and Brent as the backup point is such a no brainer. Vaughn must have some embarrassing photos of Pop or something because it's a fucking joke this guy gets any minutes out of Pop.

whottt
05-27-2007, 12:38 AM
Using Manu and Brent as the backup point is such a no brainer. Vaughn must have some embarrassing photos of Pop or something because it's a fucking joke this guy gets any minutes out of Pop.

I coulda sworn that you already bitched about Barry getting too many minutes as it was tonight...you want him to have Vaugn's too? Is that what you are saying Aggie? Explain yourself or be branded an asstalker.

Marcus Bryant
05-27-2007, 12:38 AM
Cut down on Vaughn and don't expect TD to see only 26 minutes in Game 4. B+ grade for Pop next time.

spursparker9
05-27-2007, 12:39 AM
beno turned the ball twice in 4 mins...

bobbyjoe
05-27-2007, 12:40 AM
Why did Vaughn ever replace Beno Udrih in the rotation? Is Udrih in the doghouse?

BigBeezie
05-27-2007, 12:41 AM
The guys at my local Starbucks said that Beno is a regular customer. They also said he sounds like Borat when he speaks...

Kori Ellis
05-27-2007, 12:42 AM
Vaughn in limited minutes as Parker's backup, I can deal with.

Vaughn side by side with Parker against the Jazz? :wtf :shootme :wtf

Spaceman Spiff
05-27-2007, 12:42 AM
Why did Vaughn ever replace Beno Udrih in the rotation? Is Udrih in the doghouse?

To say the least. Beno had a pretty miserable year, and never really showed he could elevate his game in the playoffs.

Vaughn plays some mean D, is a leader, and is intense as hell...unfortunately, he's a liability on offense and gets outmuscles and shoved around by guys like Deron Williams. He's hurting us, but the only other option is to move Manu to the point like they did in 2005.

SpursWillOwn
05-27-2007, 12:44 AM
beno had a foul as well

timvp
05-27-2007, 12:47 AM
Good job with the grades LJ. You're one of the few people on here who's taking the loss calmly and rationally. It's like Spurs fans expected the team to go undefeated the rest of the way...

I was damn worried about this game and I think this series is now in doubt. I expect the Spurs to pull it off but it's not going to be easy. Although most of us who were trying to caution other Spurs fans were muffled by all the broom action we saw the last few days.

I wish Pop could ditch the Jacque Vaughn experiment. The guy stopped being a defensive asset for us once the playoffs started and we started playing nothing but all-stars. It's not like we're clamoring for Beno to play or anything. It's not like that's our only other alternative. Just run Manu or Brent at backup point. I don't think the defense will double off them like they do for Vaughn.

I was pondering during the game how the hell could Vaughn be such a bad defender after showing signs of life in the regular season. Although I'm sure others have already pieced this together by now, it's actually quite simple. During the regular season, Vaughn gives 100% effort defensively ... but he's going against players coasting in regular season mode at around 75-80%. So in that circumstance, he appears to be a good defender. But come playoff time when everyone is playing at 100%, Vaughn's defense is outed as being perhaps worse than Beno Udrih's defense.

Whether that's the answer or not, whatever the case may be I just want Vaughn off the court.

I'm worried that Pop views Vaughn as like Bowen lite and will stick with him because he's supposedly some prime time defender. When in actuality, Vaughn is a bad defender once the playoffs roll around.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-27-2007, 12:49 AM
I coulda sworn that you already bitched about Barry getting too many minutes as it was tonight...you want him to have Vaugn's too? Is that what you are saying Aggie? Explain yourself or be branded an asstalker.

I don't like Barry has a stationary spot up guy. Think back to the Phoenix series, he came in, they put the ball in his hands, and he opened up the offense. That needs to be his role here as well.

Damn right I want him to have Vaughn's minutes. He can space the floor better than Vaughn, and Utah has enough respect for Barry's shot not to bring the double as soon as he steps on the court (like they do when Vaughn steps out there).

It really goes back to one of my fundamental gripes with Pop - he doesn't know how to maximize the personnel he has unless their name is Tim.

whottt
05-27-2007, 12:50 AM
I don't like Barry has a stationary spot up guy. Think back to the Phoenix series, he came in, they put the ball in his hands, and he opened up the offense. That needs to be his role here as well.

Thank got someone else sees it...TimVP has just about got me thinking I am hallucinating.

Barry didn't even get a touch in the 4th...after the 11 min mark. Not a touch until maybe the final minutes of the game(if then).

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-27-2007, 12:52 AM
Nothing to panic about here.

Utah gave substandard performances in the first two and it was inevitable they'd get it together at home in game 3 with their backs against the wall. We played poorly, but we also got no bounce of the ball, and the game was called poorly both ways (although I think overall the calls were going their way - not an excuse for the loss though) which seemed to frustrate us.

It feels like game 2 in the Suns series to me. We'll come out a different team in game 4 and it will be a barnburner of a game.

I was most disappointed with Tim. After it became clear that he was going to get no calls, and that the Jazz were going to late-double him and take him out of his game, he didn't adjust at all. He kept going to what wasn't working, and that's rare for Tim. I would've liked to see more of him leaving the creating to TP and Manu and just lurking near the hole like Oberto does for step-in layups and O boards, or go a bit further outside and drive at them, or even just pass out of the double!? Anyway, I'm confident he'll learn from the gametape and come out huge in game 4.

Peace.

timvp
05-27-2007, 12:55 AM
Thank got someone else sees it...TimVP has just about got me thinking I am hallucinating.

:lol

When did Barry ever get the ball in his hand in the Phoenix series to initiate the offense? When Pop went without Vaughn, Manu ran the point.

Maybe you or Aggie can fill me in on when Barry ever initiated the offense.

Marcus Bryant
05-27-2007, 12:59 AM
Barry initiated the Jazz offense well tonight.

whottt
05-27-2007, 01:00 AM
:lol

When did Barry ever get the ball in his hand in the Phoenix series to initiate the offense? When Pop went without Vaughn, Manu ran the point.

He does do it...he's been doing it in all those homes games you are talking about.

He's not just sitting spotting up for threes...that's all he did tonight, and he didn't pass any up.

I thought it sucked. But he did what Pop wants him to do.

DubMcDub
05-27-2007, 01:03 AM
It feels like game 2 in the Suns series to me. We'll come out a different team in game 4 and it will be a barnburner of a game.

This comparison is being thrown around a lot, but it's not a very good one. Game 2 to Game 3 in the PHX series was much different because the Spurs got an added boost of going to SA for the first time in the series. No such luxury here.

Jazz will probably win Game 4 by about 5 points.

timvp
05-27-2007, 02:06 AM
He does do it...he's been doing it in all those homes games you are talking about.

He's not just sitting spotting up for threes...that's all he did tonight, and he didn't pass any up.

I thought it sucked. But he did what Pop wants him to do.

Give me a specific possession or time of game or something where I can see Barry initiating the offense. Surely it shouldn't be difficult since it supposedly happens all the time.

Gerryatrics
05-27-2007, 02:22 AM

Spurs vs. Suns Game 3

Brent Barry
This quietly might have been the most important playoff performance of Barry's career. Forget the stats, he came in and changed the offensive flow for the Spurs in the third quarter. When he entered, the Spurs had hit only one three-pointer in the game. Within minutes, the Spurs had buried three treys, with Barry accounting for the first make and dishing out an assist on the second one. He came in, got the ball moving and was a huge part of the win.
Grade: A+

How soon we forget...

timvp
05-27-2007, 02:25 AM
Spurs vs. Suns Game 3

How soon we forget...

He wasn't initiating the offense. He was making crisp passes in the half court sets.

There's a difference.

TampaDude
05-27-2007, 08:43 AM
Spurs will probably win Game 4 by about 5 points.

There...fixed it for ya... :lol

wildbill2u
05-27-2007, 09:24 AM
I hate to criticize Tim when he's had a bad game but how in the world has he played at such a high level for 10 years and not learned how to protect the ball from being stripped? The 'book' on him has to be that he can be stripped by the doubler when he puts the ball down low.

In 50+ years of watching NBA big men, I can't remember any star of his caliber with this chronic problem. It usually happens when he's not playing well in other areas as well.

Are his hands too small or too weak or what? Or is it a factor of officiating letting the other team get away with it.

ALVAREZ6
05-27-2007, 10:26 AM
Hopefully they step it up for next game, I wanna end this series at home!

Spurs in 5.

L.I.T
05-27-2007, 10:33 AM
For whatever reason I can't get that Elson offensive foul outta my head. He runs into the guy, Jazz player flops, ref doesn't call it, but Elson stops cold in his tracks and stares at the player, then it's like he wakes up and lunges forward like Herman Munster.

At that point the ref goes, awwwww fuck now I have to call something cuz it's so freaking obvious.

I am getting worried though about the Spurs inability to slow DW down. If Bowen or Parker can't (and lets not mention Vaughn) then their going to have a serious problem the rest of the series. And that's kinda a minor understatement.

Spurs Brazil
05-27-2007, 11:11 AM
You forgot to give Beno a grade.
He actually played for more than a minute!

I give Beno a Z

Marcus Bryant
05-27-2007, 11:27 AM
Are his hands too small or too weak or what? Or is it a factor of officiating letting the other team get away with it.

It seemed like every time he made a move in the post there was a guard hitting him on the arm. If the refs clean that up in Game 4 Utah will be hard pressed to defend him.

Budkin
05-27-2007, 02:03 PM
The series is not in doubt because we lost one freaking game. Obviously people should not have been bragging about a sweet because we've all seen this before but more often than not we've been able to bounce back from these types of losses. Spurs fans panic over the littlest stuff. I've been guilty of that too. But come on people, show some spine.

GrandeDavid
05-27-2007, 05:19 PM
It seemed like every time he made a move in the post there was a guard hitting him on the arm. If the refs clean that up in Game 4 Utah will be hard pressed to defend him.

Prolly in Game 5 they'll have it cleaned up, but I doubt tomorrow night.

Johnny RIngo
05-27-2007, 05:22 PM

Yeah, the replays showed Williams smacking his arm on a few ocaisions. Refs didn't let Duncan play his game. Nothing surprising as the away team should expect this kinda shit and adjust.

LaMarcus Bryant
05-27-2007, 06:08 PM
Yeah Deron blatantly hacked Duncan's forearm multiple times but so what. It was up to Duncan to adjust...

I'm tired of looking to excuses. We just got the fuck beat out of us in the 3rd blowout loss of the playoffs.

Here's to Duncan leading the team to a rebounding victory on Monday :smchode:

Ocotillo
05-27-2007, 06:35 PM
i thought Elson was absolutely miserable last night.

Where's Beno's grade? He was terrible as well.

Vaughn is suppose to be this smart guy. Let's get in the coaching trainee program after this season because he brings nothing to the floor as an NBA player.

:pctoss

DarrinS
05-27-2007, 06:37 PM
I normally agree with all of your grades, but this time, I think most of your grades are a little harsh. This game was competitive for 3½ quarters. Tim's foul trouble was probably the biggest problem the Spurs faced. Even with Tim playing 12 minutes in the first half, the Spurs still led at halftime. The Jazz seemed to have more energy than the Spurs in the 2nd half, especially Milsap (he reminds me of Malik). Then the game got out of hand, Pop raised the white flag and emptied the bench. No big deal. I expect a better game on Monday.

spurschick
05-27-2007, 06:58 PM
:lol Yeah, where's the grade for the deep bench? It truly wasn't an official blowout til Beno contributed a turnover.

florige
05-27-2007, 08:10 PM
People don't be surprised if this series takes the same tone of the Detroit series in 05. I mean think back, the first two games Parker and Manu did whatever they wanted, driving, shooting, whatever. Then Detroit goes back home and EVERYTHING changes. Detroit cuts off the lane, Detroit' D has Duncan about as flustered as I've ever seen him, and Detroit goes on to crush us in game 3. We are all thinking that there is NO WAY that we come out and play like this in game 4. We will make the needed adjustments. Wrong again. Much if the same happens, Duncan is being bothered by Big Ben and Detroits stingy defense, Parker and Manu have been kept out of the lane, and we get creamed again. Game 4 we did play better collectively, but if it weren't for Horry, and a bonehead Wallace we would have probably lost all three at Detroit. That game imo shot Detroit's hopes down the drain. Even though it did go 7, you could see in the Pistons eyes that they were flustered. If this were any other coached team I wouldn't be as quick to make this comparison, but Sloan is just as good as Brown, and I definatly wouldn't be too surprised if we lose tommorow's game as well. Not hoping it, but wouldn't be surprised. Utah IMO has found a comfort zone against us. I think that Williams is good don't take me wrong, but we just got finished playing against the best pg in the NBA. There is NO WAY that he should be running wild like he is. We find a way to take him out of the flow, then we win the series. If we keep allowing him to drive, shoot, dish, then we might be in trouble. I'm confident that Bowen can stop him, he just has to stay out of foul trouble.