PDA

View Full Version : Could Ron Paul Win in New Hampshire?

braeden0613
05-27-2007, 08:34 PM
link (http://www.freemarketnews.com/WorldNews.asp?nid=42148)
Could Ron Paul Win in New Hampshire?
Friday, May 25, 2007 - FreeMarketNews.com

Could Presidential candidate and Congressman Ron Paul (R-Tex) win the Republican national primary in New Hampshire? If he did so, the momentum would be significant – and the press coverage massive - as New Hampshire may be the first state to hold a formal election, even beating out the Iowa caucus.

“Ron Paul could win in New Hampshire,” says a source close to the campaign. “It would be an explosive political act – one that would devastate the common wisdom. The mainstream media hasn’t realized it yet, but folks in New Hampshire take him seriously.”

Ron Paul could use a win in New Hampshire to provide momentum in other states – especially if New Hampshire positions itself as the nation’s first primary again. The state actually has considerable flexibility in terms of setting a primary. The system allows state officials to wait right up to the last minute before they commit to a date. It’s possible that the primary could be held in the second week of January, or even earlier, in December 07. This may explain why the Ron Paul campaign is not putting a lot of emphasis on Iowa but has just hired a campaign manager in New Hampshire with considerable professional experience.

While the Ron Paul campaign isn’t commenting on any moves, New Hampsher-ites likely sat up and took notice recently when James "The Primary Source" Pindell reported that "Former New Hampshire state Representative Barbara Hagan of Manchester endorsed Texas Congressman Ron Paul's presidential campaign and will organize outreach to the state's pro-life community."

http://www.boston.com/news/local/politics/primarysource/2007/05/prolife_activis.html

Hagan is a powerful figure in New Hampshire politics, and her backing means that Ron Paul has made substantial inroads into the conservative wing of the GOP in New Hampshire. However, even the conservative wing of the GOP in New Hampshire is more liberal than most in the classical sense. In fact, both GOP-ers and the state’s huge independent group of votes tend, opinion-wise toward small government, low taxes and free-market solutions.

That’s why Ron Paul’s message has appeal – and why he could gain momentum. In fact, the maverick conservative-populist Patrick Buchanan won the state’s Republican nomination in 1996, defeating Senator Bob Dole by about 3,000 votes. Wikipedia describes it this way:

At a rally in Nashua, he said, "We shocked them in Alaska. Stunned them in Louisiana. Stunned them in Iowa. They are in a terminal panic. They hear the shouts of the peasants from over the hill. All the knights and barons will be riding into the castle pulling up the drawbridge in a minute. All the peasants are coming with pitchforks. We're going to take this over the top." While campaigning, Buchanan energized his supporters with the slogan "The peasants are coming with pitchforks", occasionally appearing with a prop pitchfork, thus earning him the nickname "Pitchfork Pat."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Buchanan

Ultimately, as the above excerpt shows, Buchanan chose to run in the American “populist” tradition. Ron Paul, a true political throwback, is doing no such thing. He is, instead, grounded in the timeless tenets of Thomas Jefferson’s agrarian republicanism. He is a constitutional scholar, an admirable polemicist and principled politician. His fundamental beliefs are actually those upon which the country was founded - and from which he believes it has grievously and dangerously strayed.

People who actually get to hear his message about small government, lower taxes and free markets often appreciate the fundamental moral conviction of his message. It is quickly clear that Dr. Paul is no normal politician. He is known, for instance, as “Dr. No” in Congress because he will not vote for any measure that he believes is unconstitutional.

As heir to Thomas Jefferson’s thought, Ron Paul is far more dangerous to the political elite than Buchanan ever was. Buchanan could not take his message from the fringe to the mainstream. He marginalized himself consciously or unconsciously.

Ron Paul is no marginal figure. Should he get beyond New Hampshire – and likely long before that - his message may command considerable resonance in the public arena. It already does on the Internet, and for good reason.

Staff Reports - Free-Market News Network

mookie2001
05-27-2007, 08:44 PM
He is a constitutional scholar, an admirable polemicist and principled politician. His fundamental beliefs are actually those upon which the country was founded - and from which he believes it has grievously and dangerously strayed.

People who actually get to hear his message about small government, lower taxes and free markets often appreciate the fundamental moral conviction of his message. It is quickly clear that Dr. Paul is no normal politician. He is known, for instance, as “Dr. No” in Congress because he will not vote for any measure that he believes is unconstitutional.SICK!

Extra Stout
05-27-2007, 09:01 PM
Ron Paul -- the great libertarian hope.

If he got close to the Republican nomination, he would be "accidentally" run over by an Exxon tanker truck driven by a Northrup Grumman engineer.

mookie2001
05-27-2007, 09:11 PM
people take him seriously in his district (where the grass is greener)

they know him as a small government, low taxes, pro-life, goes by the US CONSTITUTION

cable news will focus on the LIBERTARIAN , despite this^ is what true conservatives supposedly stand for

the neocons are strong though

mookie2001
05-27-2007, 09:16 PM
202 863 8500 you can call the RNC and tell them to keep Paul in the debates

gtownspur
05-27-2007, 09:16 PM
people take him seriously in his district (where the grass is greener)

they know him as a small government, low taxes, pro-life, goes by the US CONSTITUTION

cable news will focus on the LIBERTARIAN , despite this^ is what true conservatives supposedly stand for

the neocons are strong though

B--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------u-----------------------------------------------------------------k---------------------------------------------------------------------------------k---------------------------------------------------------------------a---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------k-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------e---------------------------------------------------------------------s--------------------

Extra Stout
05-27-2007, 09:17 PM
B--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------u-----------------------------------------------------------------k---------------------------------------------------------------------------------k---------------------------------------------------------------------a---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------k-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------e---------------------------------------------------------------------s--------------------
mookie, what is Ron Paul's postion on... that?

LaMarcus Bryant
05-28-2007, 10:37 AM
:lol

the more i read about him, the more i like him, but the most obvious it is that he'll never make it out of the primary.
god i hope i'm wrong.
there's always Jeb Bush though.

exstatic
05-28-2007, 12:40 PM
Ron Paul -- the great libertarian hope.

If he got close to the Republican nomination, he would be "accidentally" run over by an Exxon tanker truck driven by a Northrup Grumman engineer.
:p: ...flanked by a squad of armored Marine Humvees.

BradLohaus
05-29-2007, 01:18 AM
If Pat Buchanan can beat Bob Dole in '96 then I don't see why Ron Paul can't beat this group today. I caught something on the radio, but I might have misheard: I think someone said that Paul has raised more money in the state of New Hampshire than any other Republican candidate since the first debate.

Extra Stout
05-29-2007, 10:54 AM
New Hampshire does have a lot of libertarians on account of the Free State Project.

Obviously, Paul won't win the Republican nomination because his views are not mainstream in the Republican Party anymore. But it is good to have him in the debates, to remind the GOP of the principles it used to have on some issues before Reagan conservatism faded away.

Nbadan
05-29-2007, 12:28 PM
Reagan Conservatism? You mean Reagan's trillion dollar deficit. Let's stick to facts.

BIG IRISH
05-29-2007, 07:33 PM
Reagan Conservatism? You mean Reagan's trillion dollar deficit. Let's stick to facts.

facts = Since when having a deficit, or not mean anything about getting or not getting elected. Reagan proved that :p:

BradLohaus
05-30-2007, 01:10 AM
Here's Ron Paul's appearance on the Bill Maher show last week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV2bjMMw114

I thought he ended really well. In the last minute or so he kind of throws the hammer down on Guiliani. You know that they are going to bring up that 9/11 exchange in the next debate, and I have a feeling that Ron is more than ready for round 2, and Rudy's not going to be able to just interject with emotion and sympathy this time. I honestly don't know what Rudy will be able to say the second time around, because it's pretty hard to keep debating on something when the facts prove you wrong.

Nbadan
05-30-2007, 01:24 AM
Paul advocates a limited role for the federal government, low taxes, free markets, a non-interventionist foreign policy, and a return to monetary policies based on commodity-backed currency. He has earned the nickname "Dr. No" because he is a medical doctor who votes against the bills he believes violate the Constitution.[1] In the words of former Treasury Secretary William Simon, Paul is the "one exception to the Gang of 535" on Capitol Hill.[2] He has never voted to raise taxes or congressional pay, and refuses to participate in the congressional pension system.[3] He has consistently voted against the USA PATRIOT Act, the Military Commissions Act of 2006, and the Iraq War.

Source: Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_paul)

I'm with Paul on all those issues, except the commodity-backed currency. That was a disaster.

Nbadan
06-12-2007, 01:06 AM
Everyone knew Mitt Romney would dominate along religious lines in the Utah GOP's Presidential Straw Poll.

What is the "surprise" is that Ron Paul clearly outperformed any of the other candidates... including both Rudy Giuliani and John McCain.

For all of those who've been claiming that every strong showing by Ron Paul has been the result of "spamming", or was "unscientific"... This proves you WRONG.

Again, the Official Utah GOP Presidential Straw Poll 2007:

Mitt Romney 1042 (80.46%)

Ron Paul 70 (5.41%)

Rudy Giuliani 57 (4.40%)

John McCain 54 (4.17%)

Tom Tancredo 19 (1.47%)

Tommy Thompson 16 (1.24%)

Fred Thompson (write-in) 15 (1.16%)

Mike Huckabee 12 (0.93%)

Sam Brownback 8 (0.62%)

Stan Lockhart (write-in) 1 (0.08%)

Newt Gingrich (write-in) 1 (0.08%)

One State at a time... Linky (http://home.utgop.org/page.php?page_id=4)

Wild Cobra
06-12-2007, 04:18 AM
What is the "surprise" is that Ron Paul clearly outperformed any of the other candidates... including both Rudy Giuliani and John McCain.

Of course he did. Giuliani and McCain are both liberals. I was surprised how much I liked Ron Paul. I only heard part of the debate, but I like everything I heard about him except his war stance. He has a great deal of common sense and says what he means.

braeden0613
06-13-2007, 11:10 PM
Ron Paul was just on the Colbert Report and I have to say it was a great interview...Colbert didn't use much sarcasm and actually asked some important questions.

Ill post the youtube link when its available

Bob Lanier
06-13-2007, 11:12 PM
…no.

braeden0613
06-14-2007, 02:10 AM
…no.
I dont know what that means, but i'm gonna post it anyway. :fro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ErBROBgERs