PDA

View Full Version : Jazz Sunday Practice vs. Spurs No Practice

Kobulingam
05-28-2007, 06:49 AM
Utah Jazz had normal practice Sunday, while SA Spurs had a day off (note: Dwilliams also had day off because of stomach flu).

Does anyone know why the two coaches have a different view of this? I expected a light practice by the Spurs and some film. They got neither.

Anyone worried?

GrandeDavid
05-28-2007, 07:17 AM
The Spurs had an awful game and Duncan got himself into serious foul trouble. They didn't watch film because it would've been painful comedy and probably would've kept them in the room for hours. So they probably figured r & r would serve the team better. Good call. They'll be ready to play tonight.

Marcus Bryant
05-28-2007, 08:04 AM
Never worried.

exstatic
05-28-2007, 08:22 AM
Because, from the PHO series to the UTH series, they played 6 games in 10 days on 12,14,16,18,20, and 22 May.

MadDog73
05-28-2007, 08:34 AM
In Pop We Trust.

SAGambler
05-28-2007, 08:47 AM
Think it's just focus they need, not practice.

And after Saturday, I suspect there will be plenty of focus.

Warlord23
05-28-2007, 08:51 AM
They need the rest.

Utah has outworked the Spurs in all 3 games of this series. In games 1 and 2, we ran up a 17-18 pt lead and did enough in the 2nd half to prevent the Jazz from catching up. In game 3, we had a small lead in the 1st half and got blown away in the 2nd.

It might be that the Jazz's relative youth and energy levels have been too much for the Spurs to handle later in the game.

Or it might be that the Spurs haven't really had a typical 2nd half in this series. Games 1 and 2: they didn't have to do too much. Game 3: foul trouble limited Duncan, Bowen and Oberto's contribution. I want to see a 2nd half where there's lots to play for, and everyone gets enough minutes before commenting on the Spurs' late-game woes.

In either case, the Spurs need the rest more than the Jazz do

GrandeDavid
05-28-2007, 08:56 AM
They need the rest.

Utah has outworked the Spurs in all 3 games of this series. In games 1 and 2, we ran up a 17-18 pt lead and did enough in the 2nd half to prevent the Jazz from catching up. In game 3, we had a small lead in the 1st half and got blown away in the 2nd.

It might be that the Jazz's relative youth and energy levels have been too much for the Spurs to handle later in the game.

Or it might be that the Spurs haven't really had a typical 2nd half in this series. Games 1 and 2: they didn't have to do too much. Game 3: foul trouble limited Duncan, Bowen and Oberto's contribution. I want to see a 2nd half where there's lots to play for, and everyone gets enough minutes before commenting on the Spurs' late-game woes.

Excellent analysis.

Dave McNulla
05-28-2007, 08:57 AM
i thought that the mormoms didn't allow them to 'work' on sunday.

ducks
05-28-2007, 09:08 AM
they watched film
that was worse
pop pointed out their problem

CubanMustGo
05-28-2007, 09:28 AM

Can we get off the "Mormon" BS? The Jazz players aren't Mormons. The coach is not a Mormon. Owner Larry Miller is but other than keeping the team from playing home games on Sunday seems to keep his religion out of it.

ALVAREZ6
05-28-2007, 09:30 AM
At this point, I don't think practice is necessary. The Spurs have had how many practices this year? How many games? They know each other and what they can do.

Rest is more important now. They better play like they rested tonight, though.

duncan228
05-28-2007, 09:30 AM
they watched film
that was worse
pop pointed out their problem

I thought it said they didn't watch film. They talked about it but Pop didn't want to subject them to more horror.

exstatic
05-28-2007, 09:38 AM
Owner Larry Miller is but other than keeping the team from playing home games on Sunday seems to keep his religion out of it.
That seems like a pretty big "other than..." to me. It, as much as their small market, would seem to limit their national exposure.

Girasuck
05-28-2007, 09:46 AM

It's pretty sad there's still people who think this is actually funny. I guess your basketball IQ is zip so you resort to an attempt at religious comedy, which btw is idiotic.

CubanMustGo
05-28-2007, 10:22 AM
That seems like a pretty big "other than..." to me. It, as much as their small market, would seem to limit their national exposure.

True, but it also can be seen as being sensitive to the wishes of the local populace, many of whom are Mormon, and for whom the Sunday sabbath observance is a big deal. I don't pretend to be an expert in this area, but sites such as http://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/daily/sabbath/sunday%5Factivities.html suggest that attending a professional basketball game is not an appropriate Sabbath activity for a devout Mormon.

Bruno
05-28-2007, 10:25 AM
Spurs are old and experimented : rest will help them more than practice.

Girasuck
05-28-2007, 10:31 AM
True, but it also can be seen as being sensitive to the wishes of the local populace, many of whom are Mormon, and for whom the Sunday sabbath observance is a big deal. I don't pretend to be an expert in this area, but sites such as http://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/daily/sabbath/sunday%5Factivities.html suggest that attending a professional basketball game is not an appropriate Sabbath activity for a devout Mormon.

You're correct about the sabbath activities for a member of the LDS, and attenting a Jazz game wouldn't be acceptable to a devout LDS member, but I'd be willing to guess that 90% of the fans that attend Jazz games are either non-LDS or really aren't active members. Basically it's Larry Miller's decision. I don't think it has an impact on national exposure but the biggest problem is it forces us to play an extra game each week compaired to other teams.

Fast Dunk
05-28-2007, 12:49 PM
Rest the old farts...

SpursFanFirst
05-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Utah Jazz had normal practice Sunday, while SA Spurs had a day off (note: Dwilliams also had day off because of stomach flu).

Does anyone know why the two coaches have a different view of this? I expected a light practice by the Spurs and some film. They got neither.

Anyone worried?

Pop has done this before...I think he has faith in his team of veterans, and he believes that they KNOW what went wrong...
I wish they would've watched the tape and winced in pain, but in the end, Pop has 3 rings, and I have NONE. I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

dbreiden83080
05-28-2007, 01:25 PM

Anyone worried?

No that is the great thing about having a coach stay for so long, he knows the pulse of this team. When to push them and when to back off. If Pop thinks that rest is more beneficial for them than practice i trust that he is right.

duncan228
05-28-2007, 01:27 PM
In Pop We Trust.

Can't say it any better.

MrChug
05-28-2007, 01:33 PM
Never worried.

Nice Marcus...educated Spurs fan share the same sentiment.

MrChug
05-28-2007, 01:34 PM
Rest the old farts...

While you YOUNG farts dust off the fishing rods and look thru the phonebook for a good travel agent...say HI to vacation soon kidd-o's. :lol

timvp
05-28-2007, 03:08 PM
Last time the Spurs didn't practice after getting blown out in the playoffs was before Game 4 versus the Pistons.

:depressed

MadDog73
05-28-2007, 03:13 PM
Last time the Spurs didn't practice after getting blown out in the playoffs was before Game 4 versus the Pistons.

Damn, timvp!

Sometimes, you just have to trust. Trust that Tim is motivated. Trust the Spurs can play better.

Look, I'm not saying the Spurs win "fer sure" tonight or anything, after all, this is still a must-win for Utah.

But I have to believe the Spurs learn from their mistakes.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-28-2007, 03:16 PM

Beat me to it. Time to put the house on the Jizz tonight.

thousandth
05-28-2007, 05:18 PM
They need the rest.

Foul trouble...and Oberto had sprained his thumb and Finley injured too.

I agree. I think Game4 is a different story and they need the rest.