PDA

View Full Version : These two guys will get owned tonight

DarrinS
05-28-2007, 08:08 AM
AGAIN

http://www.nba.com/media/act_mehmet_okur.jpg

http://www.nba.com/media/act_andrei_kirilenko.jpg

Problem is, we can't let Boozer/Williams/(anonymous scrub) get 60 points in the paint.

Girasuck
05-28-2007, 09:57 AM
If Memo plays defense the way he did in game 3, I could care less if he doesn't score another point in this series.

As far as AK is concerned, we won 51 games this year pretty much without him. He was a no show in game 3 and we still won by 26. I don't think it matters all that much if he's a no show again.

L.I.T
05-28-2007, 10:20 AM
If Memo plays defense the way he did in game 3, I could care less if he doesn't score another point in this series.

As far as AK is concerned, we won 51 games this year pretty much without him. He was a no show in game 3 and we still won by 26. I don't think it matters all that much if he's a no show again.

If you guys are willing to rest all of your hopes on DW and Boozer be my guest. But one of the differences for you in the last game was the bench play; I don't think the Spurs bench is going to be outplayed like that again. The Jazz need a third scorer to step-up and take some pressure off those two; Okur and AK47 are the two likeliest candidates.

But, hey, if you'd rather Okur doesn't score and AK47 doesn't play for the rest of the series, I'm happy that the Spurs will win in 5.

Edit: And yes, yes they will. And I sayeth it will be goooood.

Jazz fans are surprising me at the moment. It's as if they don't think the Spurs are going to adjust going into Game 4. Weird.

DarrinS
05-28-2007, 10:23 AM
If Memo plays defense the way he did in game 3, I could care less if he doesn't score another point in this series

Tim's fouls hurt the Spurs more than Memo's defense.

Girasuck
05-28-2007, 10:24 AM
If you guys are willing to rest all of your hopes on DW and Boozer be my guest. But one of the differences for you in the last game was the bench play; I don't think the Spurs bench is going to be outplayed like that again. The Jazz need a third scorer to step-up and take some pressure off those two; Okur and AK47 are the two likeliest candidates.

But, hey, if you'd rather Okur doesn't score and AK47 doesn't play for the rest of the series, I'm happy that the Spurs will win in 5.

Edit: And yes, yes they will. And I sayeth it will be goooood.

Jazz fans are surprising me at the moment. It's as if they don't think the Spurs are going to adjust going into Game 4. Weird.

What adjustments are the Spurs going to make for game 4? DWill is averaging 30 this series and Boozer isn't far behind. You've had 3 games to "make adjustments" with these 2 and nothing has worked.

DarrinS
05-28-2007, 10:36 AM
What adjustments are the Spurs going to make for game 4? DWill is averaging 30 this series and Boozer isn't far behind. You've had 3 games to "make adjustments" with these 2 and nothing has worked.

I would be perfectly happy to let Deron and Boozer get the bulk of their scoring. I don't want (insert name of unknown Jazz bench player here) getting easy baskets.

L.I.T
05-28-2007, 10:42 AM

And we're up 2-1. But that's beside the point. The difference in Game 4 wasn't the play of your Big 2, it was the play of the rest of the team. The Spurs will make adjustments to combat that. In Game 3 you had three players step-up to fill that void: Fisher, Harpring and Giricek. The Jazz cannot rely on those three players to continue to bail them out. Sooner or later one of their other top players is going to need to step-up.

If your primary offense is going to be generated by those two players exclusively, the Spurs will win. Simple as that.

And if you don't think the Spurs are going to make adjustments on the offensive end to attack your defense you haven't watched a lot of basketball. AK47 is Utah's only real shot-blocking presence. If the Jazz are going to be packing the middle, that frees up the Spurs 3 point shooters; the Jazz are a tough, scrappy team but they aren't exactly a team blessed with great foot-speed. By the way, Spurs were tied for 3rd in the regular season in 3 point shooting, that's going to be tough on the perimeter rotations.

I've been harping on this for a while, but the double-teams on Duncan are going to be negated by: 1. Facing him up. 2. Positioning him on the high post and allow him to become a facilitator. 3. Pass and swings out of the double team. 4. More pick and roll and motion offense. The Jazz have not done a good job defending the pick and roll the entire series.

Ok, I hate that I'm about to steal something from Rosen, but: a series is like a human chess-match, it's all about inter-series and inter-game adjustments. Spurs fans know this, I'm really surprised that a lot of Jazz fans don't.

Dipship31
05-28-2007, 11:25 AM
Just add those 2 to the list of things that have to give eventually. Memo/AK/Utah's losing streak in SA/SA never winning a game in SLC/etc. Something will give this series!!!!!

JamStone
05-28-2007, 11:46 AM
I think the Jazz and their fans won't mind if Memo and AK go 0-20 in game 4 if the Jazz still win.

MadDog73
05-28-2007, 11:51 AM
Just add those 2 to the list of things that have to give eventually. Memo/AK/Utah's losing streak in SA/SA never winning a game in SLC/etc. Something will give this series!!!!!

Actully, one of those things doesn't have to give (although I expect one will).

Spurs could win in 7, with the "Utah wins at home and loses in SA" streak safe.

florige
05-28-2007, 02:01 PM

Gimmie a break! I will give you that on game 3 maybe, but games 1-2 all the point they scored we mostly garbage points. We were already up by huge margins in both games and just put in into cruise control for the rest of the game. That probably was a mistake being as though they both were on fire for game 3. And trust me, we have shut down waay better tandems throughout the playoffs this year besides Williams and Boozer. How about AI and Melo, How about Nash-an co. Don't even try to come on here and act like these two media flukes are the second wind of Stockton-Malone and we can't stop them.... Puuulease. :lol (and I'm praying, really praying that Boozer thinks that this is the Houston series all over again, Please let him think that... If he does we can expect to see that fool Fisher on camera crying on the bench again.. :cry

FromWayDowntown
05-28-2007, 02:12 PM
I think Girasuck is right. The Spurs are a sinking ship -- there are no adjustments to be made, other than the acceptance that, just as was true in the series against the Suns (and probably the Nuggets, too), the Spurs' personnel is just not as good as the opponents' personnel.

Trainwreck2100
05-28-2007, 02:16 PM
Lots o white guys on the jazz team, I wonder why that is.................oh wait nevermind

florige
05-28-2007, 02:16 PM
I think Girasuck is right. The Spurs are a sinking ship -- there are no adjustments to be made, other than the acceptance that, just as was true in the series against the Suns (and probably the Nuggets, too), the Spurs' personnel is just not as good as the opponents' personnel.

They just piss me off. They keep bringing up that 26 point win against our 2 and 3rd units. Then they come off like Booz and Will is this unstoppable combo that nobody can recon with. One guy even had the nerve to say that D-Will is the best PG in the NBA. It's funny how the cockiness level raises incredibly after one f'ing win. Man I hope we cream these fools tonight and bring them back down to earth. At least with Phx and Denver they had a legitimate arguement with AI-Melo and Amare-Nash, Boozer-Williams... Gimme a freakin break. :lol

Dipship31
05-28-2007, 02:21 PM
Boozer/Williams >>> AI/Melo and it's not even close.

florige
05-28-2007, 02:25 PM

:lol

Dipship31
05-28-2007, 02:29 PM
2 multi-dimensional players >>> 2 one-dimensional players

MadDog73
05-28-2007, 02:30 PM

How about Amare/Nash?

Or are Jazz >>>>> Suns now? :rolleyes

Dipship31
05-28-2007, 02:33 PM
You're right I should go back and change my original post to not include those 2 also......

oh wait

florige
05-28-2007, 02:38 PM
2 multi-dimensional players >>> 2 one-dimensional players

You seem to be pretty sensible. But C'mon now, D-Williams is great and Boozer has come a long way with his jump shot. But you look at Melo and AI, you are talking about two of the best scores in the league today. The reason Williams is looking so unstoppable now is because we are sucking at defending the pick & roll. He isn't nowhere as quick as Iverson and it's not even like he can post up yet like say a Chauncy Billups. And the Boozer Melo comparison is even worse. Boozer has Melo on the boards and inside thats it. Melo can create, drive run the point, shoot the three. Both of their defense is stagnant. D-Will may be great soon, but Boozer to me is overrated.

MadDog73
05-28-2007, 02:39 PM
You're right I should go back and change my original post to not include those 2 also......

oh wait

I just thought it was convenient you only refuted 1/2 of florige's argument...

and that's if you buy that Williams/Boozer are better than Carmelo/AI.

Frankly, it doesn't really matter how good Boozer or Williams are. 2 players cannot beat a team. Period.

Tonight gets decided by the bench.

Dipship31
05-28-2007, 02:45 PM
So I'm not allowed to disagree with part of someone's opinion? Also I wouldn't write off our bench so easily, they played pretty damn good on Sat.

bdictjames
05-28-2007, 02:46 PM
Hopefully we'll still see you here Jazz fan once the Spurs go to the Finals again.

florige
05-28-2007, 02:50 PM
So I'm not allowed to disagree with part of someone's opinion? Also I wouldn't write off our bench so easily, they played pretty damn good on Sat.

I think he was just talking about the benches period. Jazz bench totally outplayed ours Sat.

MadDog73
05-28-2007, 02:53 PM
So I'm not allowed to disagree with part of someone's opinion?

Of course. You can do anything you want.

Look, I believe Suns > Jazz > Nuggets. So, we probably agree more than disagree.

Also I wouldn't write off our bench so easily, they played pretty damn good on Sat.

And I wouldn't write off SA's bench either. Like I said, Williams and Boozer will get theirs. Tonight its about those two on top of this thread getting owned.... again.

Dipship31
05-28-2007, 02:57 PM
I agree 100% with your hierarchy of teams there. So far this series for the most part 5 stars have come to play with Booze, Deron, Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili. I fully expect Duncan to go wild tonight and Ginobili to have a solid 20+ game as well. I don't expect a tremendous game out of both of them again, but they need to be around 20 and 10 (rebounds or assists) to be in it. Like you said this is about the benches tonight, but I'd have to throw up for us it's about bench + Memo. He's really our only definite positive mis-match and it's been a complete non-factor.

MadDog73
05-28-2007, 03:08 PM
I agree 100% with your hierarchy of teams there. So far this series for the most part 5 stars have come to play with Booze, Deron, Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili. I fully expect Duncan to go wild tonight and Ginobili to have a solid 20+ game as well. I don't expect a tremendous game out of both of them again, but they need to be around 20 and 10 (rebounds or assists) to be in it. Like you said this is about the benches tonight, but I'd have to throw up for us it's about bench + Memo. He's really our only definite positive mis-match and it's been a complete non-factor.

:clap Sounds good to me.

lebomb
05-28-2007, 03:19 PM
I hope so.

Strike
05-28-2007, 04:06 PM

And the Spurs are up 2-1 with all that scoring by Williams and Boozer.