05-28-2007, 11:08 AM
Who is available this summer?

Who do we want?

Who do you think we'll get?

Question.

:cooldevil

L.I.T
05-28-2007, 11:17 AM
Duhon would be nice, but I'm not sure if he's a free agent or not.

There are some names coming up: Jason Hart, Chucky Atkins, Charlie Bell, even a guy like Dooling (Player option) maybe available.

Probably Atkins.

exstatic
05-28-2007, 11:21 AM
Dooling is in no way shape or form a PG. He's a fucking chucker. Hart and Bell are nauseating options. Atkins is OK as a short term backup solution.

BacktoBasics
05-28-2007, 11:24 AM
That list didn't interest me. Worst case is this team survives another year sucking at the back up 3 and then drafts a conservative back up 1. Not that I'm totally interested in that plan either.

And.....its not like quality FA's are interested in SA too.

Ghost Writer
05-28-2007, 11:24 AM
Of those mentioned, I think Chucky Atkins would be a huge upgrade over what the Spurs currently have.

Bruno
05-28-2007, 11:28 AM
Backup PG available in the free agency this summer :

Charlie Bell (restricted and likely too expensive).
Steve Blake (lot of teams are interested)
Earl Boykins (player option, not sure he will opt out)
Brevin Knight (team option)
Smush Parker
Chucky Atkins
Jannero Pargo

TDMVPDPOY
05-28-2007, 11:33 AM
hows jay williams doing atm since havin 2 years off.......he might not be back to his college days form, but all we need is a guy who can bring the ball up the court, set plays, and play reasonable defense.....his no worst then tj ford who i think had the same accident right? even javtokas could still play lackin his atheletic ability....

td4mvp21
05-28-2007, 11:38 AM
I say draft one, along with either a center/long small forward.

AFBlue
05-28-2007, 11:41 AM
Brevin Knight is the most interesting option, but he has a partially guaranteed salary already and he'd be an interesting trade piece for the Bobcats, so I'm not sure he gets let go for nothing....but I think he'd be best.

Ghost Writer
05-28-2007, 11:44 AM
We tried drafting one and he turned out to be Beno.

I personally think that Beno will wind up being a nice, serviceable player elsewhere.

Pop has no patience.

That's why I would like Atkins.

But Knight really intrigues me, so long as he does not impersonate Van Exel and wind up being a crippled mess with the Spurs.

When Knight is healthy, he's a really good veteran. I can see Pop liking him and Brevin wanting to see what it is like to play on a contender, let alone a playoff-quality team.

exstatic
05-28-2007, 11:53 AM
Kinght is a great playmaker, but a below average shooter. Atkins is an OK playmaker and a good distance shooter.

I'd be content with either, and a new youngster to develop, and ship out Beno. We've gotten by with great playmaker, poor shooters like AJ and Speedy before.

Ghost Writer
05-28-2007, 12:10 PM
I'm okay with either, too, ex.

But I don't really care about developing a young PG. The way the Spurs are built, we just need someone to come in and bridge the gap for a few minutes until Parker can get back in there.

We don't really need to groom a young PG, when Parker is already young and not going anywhere.

The Spurs have been doing the right thing in churning in older backup PGs, but unfortunately not the right ones.

Kori Ellis
05-28-2007, 12:16 PM
his no worst then tj ford who i think had the same accident right? .

:wtf

What are you talking about? TJ Ford didn't have a motorcycle accident that destroyed his leg/groin.

Jay Williams hasn't even been able to make through anyone's training camp. He isn't a good option.

Kori Ellis
05-28-2007, 12:18 PM
One of Seattle's point guards should be available via trade.

Charlie Bell would be nice but he'll probably stay with the Bucks.

Out of that group, I'd take Atkins, Knight or even Pargo.

Mr. Body
05-28-2007, 12:20 PM
Seattle's points, Charlie Bell, and Knight, will all be expensive. Chucky Atkins is pretty much the only guy there I like for the prospective price. Not sure how much Pargo is, but he'd be good.

T Park
05-28-2007, 12:20 PM
I said it last summer, and I'll say it again this summer.

Jannero Pargo.

Runs a good offense, has a very nice jump shot.

Would be perfect backing up Parker.

GrandeDavid
05-28-2007, 12:22 PM
Ghostwriter, I cannot believe you have over a million posts to your credit. I cannot believe that to be even possible! :lol

DynastyBuilder
05-28-2007, 12:25 PM
Also backup PGs:

Jeff McInnis (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jeff_mcinnis/)
Royal Ivey (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/royal_ivey/)
Anthony Carter (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/anthony_carter/)
Sarunas Jasikevicius (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/sarunas_jasikevicius/)
Darrell Armstrong (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/darrell_armstrong/)
Gary Payton (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/gary_payton)
Mo Williams (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/maurice_williams/)
Mike Wilks (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/mike_wilks/)
Darrick Martin (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/darrick_martin)
Dee Brown (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/dee_brown)
Roger Mason (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/roger_mason)

jag
05-28-2007, 02:24 PM
i like pargo, i remember him with the lakers, he'd be a great (bobby jackson like) option off the bench.

itzsoweezee
05-28-2007, 02:27 PM
draft stuckey. he's better than anything the spurs can get on the market

Kori Ellis
05-28-2007, 02:27 PM
Pargo shoots for a horrible percentage, that's why I said "even Pargo". He's definitely not might top choice, but he'd be okay I guess.

Mo Williams or even Mike Wilks would probably be okay too. :lol

Leetonidas
05-28-2007, 02:30 PM
Chauncey Billups. :)

T Park
05-28-2007, 02:31 PM
Pargo is better shooting, bigger bodied, version of Speedy.

He can shoot the three well, he plays good D, he runs the offense good enough for 10 15 minutes,

I liked Pargo to be on this team AFTER he got let go by Chicago, and the Spurs screwed around with Paino the slovenian stiff Udrih, and Jacque Vaughn.

If the Spurs had Pargo, they could've won the Denver series earlier, and definately the Phoenix series earlier.

T Park
05-28-2007, 02:31 PM
Mike Wilks would probably be okay too

Oh dear god :lol

Kori Ellis
05-28-2007, 02:33 PM
Oh dear god :lol

If we are talking about Pargo, then we should talk about Mike Wilks. Same level almost :lol

Pargo is a decent three point shooter, but he should never shoot from 2. I think his percentage is probably sub 35% from 2 for his career. And he also is a bad passer.

But he's probably a Vaughn upgrade.

I'd like a real backup point guard some day :lol

T Park
05-28-2007, 02:35 PM
Yeah, I'd honestly vote for drafting Stuckey, and then hoping Almond falls to the 33rd spot in the draft.

That IMO would be perfect.

Package Udrih and barry up and see what you can get.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-28-2007, 02:38 PM
Trade up and get Acie Law. :hat

T Park
05-28-2007, 02:43 PM
Acie will be gone by the 12th pick, 14th at the most.

If the Hawks don't get him, the Clippers will.

T Park
05-28-2007, 02:44 PM
Acie Law would be the fucking shit, picking him up.

That would ace out my summer and I'd be happy with just that.

Acie Law, and draft whoever the fuck else.

Sign Pietrus, call it a summer.

Mr. Body
05-28-2007, 02:44 PM
Weird thing is, Jannero Pargo had almost the exact same stats as Chris Duhon did last year, except fewer assists and better 3p and ft %s.

Mr. Body
05-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Trade up and get Acie Law. :hat

Not going to happen. As said above, either Atlanta takes him at 11 or Clippers. If we manage to trade up that far we should be aiming for other guys.

T Park
05-28-2007, 02:47 PM
If we got to 11 or 14, shoot, you'd have to look at the stud of stud small forwards.

Mr. Body
05-28-2007, 02:51 PM
If we got to 11 or 14, shoot, you'd have to look at the stud of stud small forwards.

Yes.

At that point you're after Julian Wright or Jeff Green if he drops.

LaMarcus Bryant
05-28-2007, 02:56 PM
:lol at timvp influencing kori's opinion of pargo

timvp
05-28-2007, 02:57 PM
Funny that Ghost wantes Atkins this summer because timvp wanted to trade for Atkins during the season. I still think it was doable and would have been a smart move.

I've always like Pargo since I saw him hit clutch shot after clutch shot three years ago at summer league. With as much as Vaughn shoots, it'd be nice to get a guy who can actually hit some of those shots.

I don't like Knight ... I think he'd turn into a way too expensive version of Jacque Vaughn. Duhon would be nice, but he'd be too expensive.

I'd hope for Atkins or Pargo. But with as much as Pop loves Vaughn, I'm going to guess that the Spurs keep Vaughn and just draft another point guard to groom. Someone like Taurean Green at pick #33.

LaMarcus Bryant
05-28-2007, 02:59 PM
The question is still why the hell does Pop have such faith in Vaughn?? What does he like in his play that we don't?

timvp
05-28-2007, 03:00 PM
:lol at timvp influencing kori's opinion of pargo

:huh She don't like him and I do.

I must have missed the joke.

LaMarcus Bryant
05-28-2007, 03:05 PM
my bad i thought she was givin him prahps

i am as anti pargo as the rest of my crew but even i would welcome him after his vaughn debacle

its painful
i can actually feel and hear every member of this board take a deep breath of hesitation when he is inserted in the game.

T Park
05-28-2007, 03:05 PM
The question is still why the hell does Pop have such faith in Vaughn?? What does he like in his play that we don't?

cause he sucks less than udrih.

Bruno
05-28-2007, 03:41 PM
Duhon = Vin Baker ( without the talent and the size :) )

And I don't know how it's possible but he has found a way to have a worst playoff FG% than Vaughn. :spin

slacker77
05-28-2007, 04:07 PM
alex garcia,maybe?

Spurs16212
05-28-2007, 04:12 PM
Who would it take to give up to acquire Acie Law?

Kori Ellis
05-28-2007, 04:16 PM
I've always like Pargo since I saw him hit clutch shot after clutch shot three years ago at summer league. .

He was a clutch mofo that game. But it was still summer league in Utah.

He's probably a Vaughn upgrade but I'm still not sold.

MrChug
05-28-2007, 04:21 PM
Pargo shoots for a horrible percentage, that's why I said "even Pargo". He's definitely not might top choice, but he'd be okay I guess.

Mo Williams or even Mike Wilks would probably be okay too. :lol

:lol Yeah, if Jannero Pargo suits up, I might have to reconsider being a fan...I hate that dude, he reminds me of Anthony Carter or Negele Knight (aren't they the same dude?). They're mediocre ball handlers/distributors/defenders that can't stick the 20 footer consistently if at all.

Brevin and Steve Blake, respectively are the best available as a fit for the Spurs, if that indeed is the list.

mardigan
05-28-2007, 04:24 PM
I also wouldnt mind the Spurs taking a shot at a young cheap point guard like Barea. He seems to have the tools to be a good backup

mikekim
05-28-2007, 04:29 PM
Man...I love watson...he's better than his percentages indicate.

But he's too expensive...6 mill until 2010 i think...

He's not really a poor-sport, bad-attitude whiner either. That gets blown out of proportion.

I would've loved to trade udrih and a first round pick for watson...

Ghost Writer
05-28-2007, 07:47 PM
I didn't know we had a shot at Atkins, timvp. WTF.

As my 2nd choice, Knight is old, but dependable in spurts. I bet he's dying to be in a winning scenario.

Dare I say... Payton?

:cooldevil :cooldevil

timvp
05-28-2007, 07:48 PM
Dare I say... Payton?

:lol

He's beyond finished.

You still wish the Spurs would have done Parker for Payton?

mattyc
05-28-2007, 08:05 PM
Smush Parker has a great name but Mike Wilks has better suits.