View Full Version : Jazz Know They Face A Much Tougher Opponent Tonight

duncan228
05-28-2007, 12:02 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/jazz/ci_6004730

UTAH JAZZ: The Jazz know they face a much tougher opponent in Game 4 tonight
By Michael C. Lewis
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 05/28/2007 03:43:46 AM MDT

The Jazz were in a good mood, sure, but nobody was waving towels or spraying champagne in the locker room following their runaway victory over San Antonio in Game 3 of the NBA Western Conference finals.
Nobody was bragging.
In fact, it seemed as if the Jazz were doing everything they could to avoid further antagonizing the Spurs - a trend that continued at practice Sunday, seemingly borne of the expectation that their opponents already have plenty of reasons to give them a much tougher game in Game 4 tonight at EnergySolutions Arena.
"This next game is going to be the tougher game," the Jazz's Matt Harpring said.
No need to rile up the Spurs any more, then. No sense rubbing it in, how the Jazz played better defense, contained Tim Duncan for once (albeit, with the help of foul trouble), and handed them their worst loss of the season. That can only make things worse.
"They're a team that has been here before," the Jazz's Carlos Boozer said. "So I'm sure they're going to be confident, they're going to be prepared, they're going to come out with a better game. We have to be prepared for that."
Perhaps it shouldn't have been much of a surprise that the Jazz beat the Spurs in Game 3; having won the first two games at home, the Spurs were hardly facing a must-win situation like the Jazz. Besides, they have swept only one playoff opponent in
winning 16 playoff series since claiming their first of three championships in 1999 - and that came in the first round.
The Spurs were basically in the same situation the Jazz were in when they were blown out of Game 3 of their conference semifinal series against Golden State, although now, the Jazz are back into the position they survived in the first round against Houston.
"Coach always makes the statement that when you get thrown into a ditch, are you going to fight out of it or are you just going to lay there?" Boozer said. "And we have a team that likes to fight. . . . We
have a lot of pride. We're going to do everything we can to dig out of that ditch. We're not out of the ditch yet, but we're working on it."
So once again, the Jazz are facing their most important game of the year - just as they were in the first round of the playoffs. Win tonight, and they suddenly have a stunning opportunity to fight their way into the NBA Finals.
Lose? And, well, they're probably finished, considering they would be headed back to San Antonio one loss from elimination, having not beaten the Spurs in Texas in 18 tries over the last seven years.
If nothing else, though, the Jazz at least expect to take some renewed confidence into tonight's game, having proven to themselves what they had been saying all along.
"There were no night-and-day differences in terms of game plan or strategies," veteran guard Derek Fisher said. "But we were a more active team" in Game 3. "It just feels good to get a win. It verifies and solidifies the thoughts that our team has always carried - that we can beat this team. But until you do it, it's hard to continue to tell yourself that."
And this time, it has been easier for the Jazz to remember that one game - however big a win or crushing a loss - does not make a series.
"Against Houston, it was tough," Boozer said. "But this is our third round. It's not as tough anymore. We're more seasoned now. Early on, we lost two games we thought we should have won, that was really devastating to us - but we still came back and did a great job at home. Now, we're OK."

MadDog73
05-28-2007, 12:08 PM
"Against Houston, it was tough," Boozer said. "But this is our third round. It's not as tough anymore."

Please tell me he really thinks it will be getting easier and easier...

powerpower
05-28-2007, 12:12 PM
wow spurs better win tonight BETTER!!!!!!!!

MadDog73
05-28-2007, 12:13 PM
wow spurs better win tonight BETTER!!!!!!!!

Or what? We have no chance to win Game 5? Game 6? Or even Game 7?

This is still a must win for Utah. Until the Jazz win in SA, I'm not worried.

td4mvp21
05-28-2007, 12:15 PM
"Against Houston, it was tough," Boozer said. "But this is our third round. It's not as tough anymore.

I hope he thinks that this game...and the next....

SBGamesCone
05-28-2007, 12:32 PM
Or what? We have no chance to win Game 5? Game 6? Or even Game 7?

This is still a must win for Utah. Until the Jazz win in SA, I'm not worried.

I wont be worried, but 3-1 is better than 2-2 coming home. We may be 0 for 9 in Utah in the post season but they haven't won a game in SA in how many years?

My wife brought up an interesting point the other day.... who does it benefit if the Spurs were to have swept the Jazz? The answer is nobody but the players. The league, tv networks, and team managements all benefit greatly if this series goes longer. It's a scary thought that nobody really has a high incentive to sweep aside from the players.

MadDog73
05-28-2007, 12:34 PM
My wife brought up an interesting point the other day.... who does it benefit if the Spurs were to have swept the Jazz? The answer is nobody but the players. The league, tv networks, and team managements all benefit greatly if this series goes longer. It's a scary thought that nobody really has a high incentive to sweep aside from the players.

Well, the playoffs don't start until June 7, right?

How much rest do the Spurs need?

LavaLamp
05-28-2007, 01:28 PM
Well, the playoffs don't start until June 7, right?

How much rest do the Spurs need?

Some coaches, maybe Pop too, get concerned that too long a rest between series takes the team out of sync. Practices do not suffice as maintenance.

Roxsfan
05-28-2007, 01:54 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/jazz/ci_6004730

"Against Houston, it was tough," Boozer said. "But this is our third round. It's not as tough anymore. We're more seasoned now. Early on, we lost two games we thought we should have won, that was really devastating to us - but we still came back and did a great job at home. Now, we're OK."

Please tell me he really thinks it will be getting easier and easier...

We had them really scared, on the ropes if you will. Going to houston for a game 7...where the home team SHOULD do their thing.....we let them off the hook, they got some key rebounds and it was over. I guess they think thus far they have figured out a way to get it done over the coarse of all their series.

SA must send a message tonight..."you can and will be beat at home" :elephant :pctoss

boutons_
05-28-2007, 02:13 PM
"It's not as tough anymore."

The road-tough Spurs are easier than the 5th and 8th seeds?

Jazz are not "OK". To win the series, they will have to win 1 or 2 in SA, and the Jazz suck on the road.

VaSpursFan
05-28-2007, 02:24 PM
boozer doesn't think it's tough...that's naive right there. this is the WCF where the stakes are high. i'm hoping SA comes out rabid tonight and just attacks. have them cowering at half time and go for the kill in the second half. time to shop the jazz what's up.

MadDog73
05-28-2007, 02:27 PM
"Against Houston, it was tough," Boozer said. "But this is our third round. It's not as tough anymore. "

This needs to be printed in the Spurs locker room.

Hear that guys? Boozer is calling your team easy.

bdictjames
05-28-2007, 02:50 PM
More motivation or Duncan to whoop his ass back to Juneau.

BreezeHillBill
05-28-2007, 04:20 PM
We had them really scared, on the ropes if you will. Going to houston for a game 7...where the home team SHOULD do their thing.....we let them off the hook, they got some key rebounds and it was over. I guess they think thus far they have figured out a way to get it done over the coarse of all their series.

SA must send a message tonight..."you can and will be beat at home" :elephant :pctoss
Glad to have you on our side, Rox. We sure aren't getting any well-wishes from Dallas.