PDA

View Full Version : Tom Orsburn: Spurs' Finley looking better

Spurs Brazil
05-28-2007, 02:30 PM
Tom Orsburn: Spurs' Finley looking better
SALT LAKE CITY - Spurs forward Michael Finley's sore back didn't stop him from participating in drills at shootaround this morning.

"He's getting better every day," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said.

Finley logged just 17 minutes in Game 3 Saturday after tweaking his back in practice two days earlier. He appeared to move without pain this morning while participating in catch-and-shoot drills with assistant Don Newman and is expected to play tonight.

The Jazz, meanwhile, won't know until game time whether star point guard Deron Williams (stomach flu) will play.
Williams, who is averaging 30.3 points on 54.1 percent shooting in this series, was at the Jazz's shootaround but did not participate.

Williams did not talk to reporters afterward, but a couple of his teammates said they expect him to play.

"If there is any physical energy he can expend to get out on the court, he will do it," guard Derek Fisher said.

Said forward Matt Harpring: "He looked pretty good. I think he is going to play tonight."

Other notes and quotes from the shootarounds:

• Spurs center Fabricio Oberto had his sprained right thumb wrapped in ice after the shootaround. Oberto, who suffered the injury in Game 3, is expected to play tonight.

• Spurs forward Tim Duncan worked on his low-post moves with backup big man Melvin Ely at the end of the shootaround.

• Spur forward Matt Bonner admitted to being a fan of "The Andy Griffith Show" after he was caught whistling the show's familiar theme song while shooting free throws.

"I used to watch it when I was growing up. I've been called Opie so many times," said the red-headed Bonner.

• Just found out the name of another member of tonight's officiating crew. Joining Steve Javie will be Joe DeRosa. Javie and DeRosa worked Game 4 of the Spurs-Suns Western Conference semifinal series. That was the game in which Spurs forward Robert Horry committed a flagrant foul against Suns guard Steve Nash that resulted in league-imposed suspensions for Horry and the Suns' Amare Stoudemire and Boris Diaw.

• Popovich looked quite pensive as he walked off the court at the end of shootaround. I guess I would too if my team played as poorly as the Spurs did in Saturday's 26-point loss. And it doesn't help that the Jazz are 7-0 in the playoffs at home this postseason and undefeated in home playoff games against the Spurs.

• There are statues in front of the EnergySolutions Arena of Jazz greats Karl Malone and John Stockton in action. The statue of Stockton is on the money, but the one of Malone looks more like actor Woody Strode, a former UCLA football player and one of the first African-Americans to play in the NFL (Los Angeles Rams in 1946). Strode, who died in 1994 of lung cancer, is probably best remembered for his Golden-Globe nominated role in "Spartacus," a 1960 hit that starred Kirk Douglas. Strode also played John Wayne's sidekick in one of my favorite movies, "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance."

MadDog73
05-28-2007, 02:32 PM
"but the one of Malone looks more like actor Woody Strode, a former UCLA football player and one of the first African-Americans to play in the NFL (Los Angeles Rams in 1946). Strode, who died in 1994 of lung cancer, is probably best remembered for his Golden-Globe nominated role in "Spartacus," a 1960 hit that starred Kirk Douglas. Strode also played John Wayne's sidekick in one of my favorite movies, "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance."

Hmm. OK.

T Park
05-28-2007, 02:34 PM
Just found out the name of another member of tonight's officiating crew. Joining Steve Javie will be Joe DeRosa. Javie and DeRosa worked Game 4 of the Spurs-Suns Western Conference semifinal series. That was the game in which Spurs forward Robert Horry committed a flagrant foul against Suns guard Steve Nash that resulted in league-imposed suspensions for Horry and the Suns' Amare Stoudemire and Boris Diaw.

Both refs favor road teams BTW.

At least I hope they continue that way :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-28-2007, 02:36 PM
Both refs favor road teams BTW.

At least I hope they continue that way :lol

Yeah, we sure got the benefit of the calls in that game in Phoenix :rolleyes

bdictjames
05-28-2007, 02:48 PM
Yay!!!

We need Findog to start knocking down those threes again!!

T Park
05-28-2007, 02:49 PM
Yeah, we sure got the benefit of the calls in that game in Phoenix

They called game 4, in san antonio.

The night of the Horry flagrant.

Apology Accepted

florige
05-28-2007, 02:52 PM
Yay!!!

We need Findog to start knocking down those threes again!!

Heck yeah. He was freakin on fire!

timvp
05-28-2007, 03:06 PM
Javie better not pull a David Robinson special on Duncan tonight.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-28-2007, 03:15 PM
They called game 4, in san antonio.

The night of the Horry flagrant.

Apology Accepted

It might as well have been in Phoenix. The way that game had little to do with the road team vs. home team and a lot to do with who was up in that series. The way it always goes in the NBA when teams are up 2-1 in series.

Apology Accepted.

Southwest Texas Fan
05-28-2007, 04:04 PM
Javie better not pull a David Robinson special on Duncan tonight.

What’s a David Robinson special?

MadDog73
05-28-2007, 04:08 PM
It might as well have been in Phoenix. The way that game had little to do with the road team vs. home team and a lot to do with who was up in that series. The way it always goes in the NBA when teams are up 2-1 in series.

Apology Accepted.

Totally not what T Park was arguing...

he simply said that this set of refs favors the road team.

You brought out a blatantly false example (Game 4 in San Antonio).

You didn't have to say anything, but now you just look like an even bigger ass.

FromWayDowntown
05-28-2007, 04:12 PM
What’s a David Robinson special?

David Robinson apparently believed that Steve Javie had something against him. It really came to a head after Game 6 of the 1996 WCSF at Utah. Robinson was saddled with foul problems for most of the night -- an elimination game for the Spurs -- and only played 29 mintues. After the game, in his post-game appearance on the podium, The Admiral went public with his concern that Javie had something against him and either called it "crap" or "shit." Whatever, it was an uncharacteristic display of anger by David and, I think, added to the venom that San Antonio maintains for Steve Javie. I'm not sure that many people remember it, but Javie is probably still the most reviled NBA official in San Antonio -- so much so that I've heard casual fans refer to just about any bad official as "Javie."

timvp
05-28-2007, 04:19 PM
David Robinson apparently believed that Steve Javie had something against him. It really came to a head after Game 6 of the 1996 WCSF at Utah. Robinson was saddled with foul problems for most of the night -- an elimination game for the Spurs -- and only played 29 mintues. After the game, in his post-game appearance on the podium, The Admiral went public with his concern that Javie had something against him and either called it "crap" or "shit." Whatever, it was an uncharacteristic display of anger by David and, I think, added to the venom that San Antonio maintains for Steve Javie. I'm not sure that many people remember it, but Javie is probably still the most reviled NBA official in San Antonio -- so much so that I've heard casual fans refer to just about any bad official as "Javie."

Well said.

The Spurs in Utah during the playoffs with Javie in attendance meant David Robinson was getting two fouls in the first quarter no matter what. It happened every time to the point that even David Robinson snapped.

Add to the fact that Javie's best friend is Joe Crawford and he's literally the last ref I wanted to see against the Jazz in Salt Lake.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-28-2007, 04:23 PM
Totally not what T Park was arguing...

he simply said that this set of refs favors the road team.

You brought out a blatantly false example (Game 4 in San Antonio).

You didn't have to say anything, but now you just look like an even bigger ass.

Well damn, how am I going to go on? That game had nothing to do with the road team and everything to do with Phoenix having to have that game or the series was over.

Either find me some other examples where DeRosa and Javie have hooked up the road team or stfu.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-28-2007, 04:24 PM
Well said.

The Spurs in Utah during the playoffs with Javie in attendance meant David Robinson was getting two fouls in the first quarter no matter what. It happened every time to the point that even David Robinson snapped.

Add to the fact that Javie's best friend is Joe Crawford and he's literally the last ref I wanted to see against the Jazz in Salt Lake.

What the hell is wrong with you? TPark, with all his basketball knowledge, said we're going to get the hook up tonight. Be gone with your weak takes, LJ.

whottt
05-28-2007, 04:25 PM
Bonus points for anyone that can tell me what the Spurs record is with Steve Javie as the ref....

And then give that information to TimVP....the back track ought to be entertaining...I just hope no one gets injured.

FromWayDowntown
05-28-2007, 04:25 PM
If you want to start guessing officials, here's my contribution.

In the Conference Finals round there are generally 18-20 officials working. After the Game 4's are concluded, you're basically down to 12 officials, as it's pretty much the Finals officials who work from that point forward.

To this point, there have been 18 officials who have worked Conference Finals games (3 games in each conference * 3 officials per game = 3 *2 *3 = 18)

To date, those 18 are:

Dick Bavetta
Mike Callahan
Jim Clark
Sean Corbin
Dan Crawford
Bob Delaney
Scott Foster
Bernie Fryer
Ron Garretson
Steve Javie
Ken Mauer
Monty McCutchen
Jack Nies
Ed F. Rush
Bennett Salvatore
Tom Washington
Greg Willard
Mark Wunderlich

We hear that Joe Derosa will be the 19th official to call games in this round, so I'd think that, at most, there's maybe one other official left who is still working but hasn't yet called a game.

I think you can pretty safely assume that Corbin, Foster, McCutchen, and Wunderlich have worked their last games for this season, because this is the first year that any of those guys has worked this deep into the playoffs -- the first time an official gets to the Conference Finals, he usually only gets one game in that round.

For Games 4 and 5, I don't think the Spurs will see any official who has already worked a game in this round. That leaves the possibilities for the next 2 games as:

Dick Bavetta
Jim Clark
Joe Derosa
Bernie Fryer
Steve Javie
Ken Mauer
Tom Washington
Greg Willard

We know tonight is apparently Javie and Derosa, but the third is likely to come from that list, as are the Game 5 officials.

Speculate away.

cholo
05-28-2007, 04:35 PM
just no jack nies or bennet

FromWayDowntown
05-28-2007, 04:41 PM
Bonus points for anyone that can tell me what the Spurs record is with Steve Javie as the ref....

And then give that information to TimVP....the back track ought to be entertaining...I just hope no one gets injured.

By my count, since the 1998 playoffs, the Spurs are 11-6 with Javie on the floor.

Of course, they're also 0-3 with Javie on the floor since the start of the 2006 playoffs.

timvp
05-28-2007, 05:11 PM
Of course, they're also 0-3 with Javie on the floor since the start of the 2006 playoffs.

Oops......but I love David Robinson's arch enemy :depressed Maybe I'll make up for it by rooting for the Jazz

whottt
05-28-2007, 05:15 PM
By my count, since the 1998 playoffs, the Spurs are 11-6 with Javie on the floor.

Let me put it another way...how many refs do the Spurs have a better record with?

One, right?

whottt
05-28-2007, 05:16 PM
the back track ought to be entertaining

Ok...so I was wrong...

timvp
05-28-2007, 05:17 PM
Let me put it another way...how many other arch enemies does David Robinson who I can love to pwnt myself when I try to defend him out of the other side of my mouth

One, right?

whottt
05-28-2007, 05:18 PM
Seriously...talk about vendettas all you want...

But Dick Bavetta and Bennet Salvator are just flat out incompetent...by far the worst refs in the NBA...so incompetent...that I actually feel sorry for any teams that have them reffing the game...even if I hate that team.

So incompetent...that I trust the vendetta refs to call a better game.

whottt
05-28-2007, 05:20 PM
I didn't own myself...

The only refs we have a better record with than Javie are Joey and Danny Crawford.

You got pwnt...if that's your idea of a vendetta.

And any true DRob fan knows Drob is about forgiveness if nothing else...

TimVP proves he does not get it...just like when we tried to sign Malone.

timvp
05-28-2007, 05:21 PM
I love Javie and Malone!

whottt
05-28-2007, 05:25 PM
If Javie's record of reffing our games is your example of a vendetta...then every ref in the NBA has a vendetta against us...except Joey Crawford.

FromWayDowntown
05-28-2007, 05:28 PM
I didn't own myself...

The only refs we have a better record with than Javie are Joey and Danny Crawford.

Not correct.

Just doing a quick calculation concerning big-time officials about whom I already had numbers, I figure that the Spurs have a better record in playoff games with Danny Crawford (18-7) and Joey Crawford (13-5) than they do with Javie; but they also with Bob Delaney (13-6) and Dick Bavetta (15-8) than they do with Javie.

timvp
05-28-2007, 05:30 PM
Not correct.

Just doing a quick calculation concerning big-time officials about whom I already had numbers, I figure that the Spurs have a better record in playoff games with Danny Crawford (18-7) and Joey Crawford (13-5) than they do with Javie; but they also with Bob Delaney (13-6) and Dick Bavetta (15-8) than they do with Javie.

http://www.myspacecomedy.com/images/funny/mc-owned.jpg

whottt
05-28-2007, 05:42 PM
Hey...put search up for a second...

I want to get FWDT's last list.

FromWayDowntown
05-28-2007, 05:46 PM

I want to get FWDT's last list.

Here's what I posted in a thread dealing with the aftermath of the Joey Crawford suspension:

Can't vouch that my numbers are 100% accurate, because I probably did my compilation too quickly, but going back through the 1998 playoffs, I get the following numbers for those officials:

D. Crawford 16-6 (.727)
J. Crawford 13-5 (.722)
Javie 11-5 (.688)
Delaney 11-5 (.687)
Bavetta 14-8 (.636)
Garretson 12-7 (.632)
Nies 9-7 (.563)
Derosa 6-5 (.545)
Fryer 10-9 (.526)
Salvatore 10-11 (.476)
Rush 5-12 (.294)

Of course, there have been almost 2 1/2 rounds of playoff action since then (11 Spurs playoff games). The numbers have changed. Javie has fallen a bit. And remember, this doesn't include anything before 1998.

If the Spurs lose tonight, he'll even fall behind Ron Garretson (14-8).

whottt
05-28-2007, 05:51 PM
Thanks...

Point remains...if that's TimVP's idea of a vendetta...I want TimVP to have a vendetta against me...he can start by giving me his house and car keys.

timvp
05-28-2007, 06:06 PM

I just got pwnted.

T Park
05-28-2007, 06:14 PM
:lmao @ Mcowned

whottt
05-28-2007, 06:39 PM
:lmao @ Mcowned

It's good to see the voice of ass has decided to gift us with a contribution...

whottt
05-28-2007, 06:40 PM
60% winning PCT = vendetta

FromWayDowntown
05-28-2007, 06:47 PM
I will give whottt this much: since 1998, the Spurs playoff winning percentage is .625 (85-51). Their winning percentage with Javie on the floor in those games (at least according to my calculations) is slightly better than their winning percentage in all playoff games (.647 to .625).

Of course, in the last 2 playoff seasons, the Spurs are 17-10 (.630) but are 0-3 (.000) with Javie on the floor.

MannyIsGod
05-28-2007, 07:03 PM
I don't buy into bullshit that the people reffing the games make a damn difference.

GrandeDavid
05-28-2007, 07:09 PM
I don't buy into bullshit that the people reffing the games make a damn difference.

Manny get your ass on the boards and cheer tonight, bro! See you in the game thread.

SouthernFried
05-28-2007, 07:15 PM
His D stinks...he needs to at least start giving some hard fouls. Let them know he's on the court defensively.

Does anyone have STATS on referees and home court calling? Is there really anything to the "home court guys get better calls?" Thats backed up by statistics?