PDA

View Full Version : Awesome freakin win

Kori Ellis
05-28-2007, 10:48 PM
That's Three.

I don't give a damn how bad Tim struggled and turned the ball over, or how crappy Parker shot. Or how they couldn't stop DWill at all. I don't care if JV sucks or Elson is useless.

This is the kind of win that Championships are made of. The Jazz were extremely physical and beating up Parker/Ginobili in the paint, but they kept driving and driving. The crowd was freakin hostile - shouting obscenities at Oberto from start to finish, throwing stuff on the floor when the game was still being played. The Spurs were battered and bruised but they hung and battled. And when the Jazz got close, the Spurs battled some more.

And then, when it mattered in the fourth quarter, the Spurs rallied together and with all their heart and grit and desire they took this fuckin win.

Four months ago, very few of us (including me) would have said the Spurs were going to make it to the Finals. Our swingmen were old. Ginobili wasn't himself. Our centers sucked. Our bench was weak. Duncan was past his prime. Parker was still inconsistent.

And I'm not jumping the gun and saying the Spurs are there, because the Jazz are a very, very good basketball team that present the Spurs with a lot of problems. And there's still basketball to be played.

But right now, the Spurs are going to head home up 3-1 in the WCF. And it's damn sweet.

And haters can call for an asterisk in the Suns series and whiners can complain that the Spurs would have never gotten past the Mavs. But fuck that.

Spurs are one win away from going to the 2007 NBA Finals.

Get One.

td4mvp3
05-28-2007, 10:54 PM
amen.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-28-2007, 10:55 PM
Hell of a post, I agree. And for all of the Parker vs. Manu camp, Elson vs. Oberto, Finley vs. Barry, etc., the fact of the matter is the team stepped up and grabbed control in the fourth while Utah self-destructed.

Fuck yeah :tu

timvp
05-28-2007, 10:56 PM
Well said.

One of the better playoff victories of recent memory.

:smokin

Budkin
05-28-2007, 10:56 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself! GO SPURS GO!!! :clap

Ginofan
05-28-2007, 10:57 PM
:tu Nice effin' post.

This was one of those grind it out wins that shows why we are champions. And for the record, I feel kind of bad for the officiating crew. Granted there were shitty incosistancies all over the place, but damn having the whole arena yell "You suck!" that's pretty bad. I'd high tail it outta there quick if I was them.

Budkin
05-28-2007, 11:00 PM
Man this win feels better and better the more it sinks in... I can't believe we are one game away from another Finals berth!

duncan228
Well said Kori.
It was nice to see them stay in it and not implode.
Utah is tough, but I see the Finals clearly now.

Here's to the Spurs fourth, and hopefully Duncan's fourth Finals MVP.

MannyIsGod
:tu

easjer
05-28-2007, 11:02 PM
Too fuckin' right.

tlongII
Potential 2007 NBA Championship **

themvp
:clap

thewatcher
05-28-2007, 11:03 PM
:lol

yeah it was awesome freaking jobbing.
908928137089123 fts for the spurs* in the 4th against 2 fts for the jazz!...what a freaking joke!...talk about biassed and incompetent officiating

Dark Matter
05-28-2007, 11:04 PM
It's nice to see the Hunger and the drive, team wide. Tonite, the team saw the light. We be ready. BRING IT!!

kris
05-28-2007, 11:04 PM
On Kori's note, I have to bring attention to the fact I gave the Spurs no chance to get this far and I kicked them to the curb.

I'm a bandwagon fan, but oh well.

It was great to see Manu tear Fisher apart at everything Fisher tries to do to other people.

I still don't think the Spurs are talented or athletic enough to be where they are, but I think that speaks more to the system and the team than anything else.

michaelwcho
05-28-2007, 11:05 PM
That win was about guts, fighting through the physical play, the strips, the swipes, the bumps, the hits, the fouls, and keeping at it. What better example of pounding the rock? I think Pop was waiting for the 4th to unleash some adjustments, and there wasn't time for them to counter-adjust. Then they got frustrated and we got stronger. Ginobili as closer, just like the "old days". That was a great win, a championship-type win.

Aggie Hoopsfan
thewatcher, two simple solutions to that stat:

1) tell the Jazz to quit fouling

2) tell the Jazz to quit settling for jumpers. You don't shoot FTs on jumpers.

Strike
I almost felt bad for Jazz fan having to watch their team implode.
But they didn't fare any better by chuckin shit on the floor. Totally classless.

Here's to a game 5 win and another finals berth.

:flag:

florige

yeah it was awesome jobbing.
908928137089123 fts for the spurs* in the 4th against 2 fts for the jazz!...what a freaking joke!...talk about biassed and incompetent officiating

I believe Artie Lang says it best...... :cry Waaaaaahhhh!!!!!

VaSpursFan
05-28-2007, 11:06 PM
we won this game with blood, sweat, tears and heart. 4th quarter was nothing but intense defense and awesome execution...championship basketball.

we gutted it out. i believe!!!!

lets get one and prepare to get 4 more!

mattyc
Word.

I believe™.

Darkwaters
These are the kind of games that separate the teams with championship experience from those without. The Jazz may get there, but not this year.

Go Spurs.

SAGambler
05-28-2007, 11:08 PM
Don't like the Spurs shooting free throws, quit the damn fouling all the time.

Jazz may be physical, but by god they foul almost every defensive possesion.

Can't even keep from fouling just running up the floor. They still feel the need to jab an elbow at someone.

I certainly think the fat lady is warming up for a Wednesday night song.

Damn good job guys, and I guess the SLC Jinx is officially over.

VaSpursFan

when you shoot mid range jumpers, you won't get any calls. when you drive the lane, you get the calls. that's the reason for the disparity.

timmydidit
the fact that the Jazz fans were all worked up made the win all the more sweeter

dimsah
05-28-2007, 11:09 PM

Lol! You switched teams again?

Why don't you go look at the Utah shot chart in the 4th and tell me where
all the Spurs fouls are going to come from when everyone except D. Williams was shooting jump shots.

thewatcher
thewatcher, two simple solutions to that stat:

1) tell the Jazz to quit fouling

2) tell the Jazz to quit settling for jumpers. You don't shoot FTs on jumpers.

be sincere please, it was a clear jobbing

manubili
The spurs are a group of awful, old, nasty dogs. Some people might call them boring, ugly, not flashy. Of course, small puppies are funnier to watch when they play. But old dogs bite harder.

Warlord23
05-28-2007, 11:10 PM
The Jazz shot themselves out of the game. It was looking good when Williams and Boozer were draining the mid-range jumpers, but I thought Pop made a great adjustment in doubling both of them. Especially the double on Williams took a lot of balls, as the kid can pass.

Problem for the Jazz was, the rest of the cast was cold through 3 quarters and couldn't buy a jumper in the 4th. Meanwhile the Spurs just put their head down and bulled their way to the basket. That was the difference.

T Park
05-28-2007, 11:10 PM
That was a 99 esque win.

Thats an "instant classic" game.

Right up there with the game 4 against denver, and game 1 and 2 in Phoenix in 05.

MannyIsGod
05-28-2007, 11:11 PM

908928137089123 fts for the spurs* in the 4th against 2 fts for the jazz!...what a freaking joke!...talk about biassed and incompetent officiatingMid range shots don't draw fouls.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-28-2007, 11:13 PM

Yeah, obviously jump shooters should get more FTs than a team taking it to the rack every play, because uhhh, errr, ummmm, oh yeah, because the team shooting all the jumpers was playing at home. Yeah, that's it :rolleyes

dimsah
05-28-2007, 11:13 PM
I sincerely think you're a douchebag.

angel_luv
05-28-2007, 11:14 PM
This is my kind of thread. Believe and teamwork is taking us there! Go boys go! :) :fro

thewatcher
05-28-2007, 11:20 PM
I sincerely think you're a douchebag.

can you tell me the definition of that :wtf

ShoogarBear
05-28-2007, 11:20 PM
Second Best Memorial Day Ever.

Spurologist
05-28-2007, 11:22 PM
That's Three.

I don't give a damn how bad Tim struggled and turned the ball over, or how crappy Parker shot. Or how they couldn't stop DWill at all. I don't care if JV sucks or Elson is useless.

This is the kind of win that Championships are made of. The Jazz were extremely physical and beating up Parker/Ginobili in the paint, but they kept driving and driving. The crowd was freakin hostile - shouting obscenities at Oberto from start to finish, throwing stuff on the floor when the game was still being played. The Spurs were battered and bruised but they hung and battled. And when the Jazz got close, the Spurs battled some more.

And then, when it mattered in the fourth quarter, the Spurs rallied together and with all their heart and grit and desire they took this fuckin win.

Four months ago, very few of us (including me) would have said the Spurs were going to make it to the Finals. Our swingmen were old. Ginobili wasn't himself. Our centers sucked. Our bench was weak. Duncan was past his prime. Parker was still inconsistent.

And I'm not jumping the gun and saying the Spurs are there, because the Jazz are a very, very good basketball team that present the Spurs with a lot of problems. And there's still basketball to be played.

But right now, the Spurs are going to head home up 3-1 in the WCF. And it's damn sweet.

And haters can call for an asterisk in the Suns series and whiners can complain that the Spurs would have never gotten past the Mavs. But fuck that.

Get One.

Well said.

Regardless of the obstacles, this spurs team never backs down to anybody. Even though they lost in a blowout the last game, they played with heart.

JV didn't play particulary well but he had a nice dime to FIN in the middle for floater inside. Then he had a nice stretch of D against DWill by forcing him to take tough shot and then trapping the pick and roll and diving for the ball on one possession. I'm the first to chew out JV, but he's not bashfull.

Making Kirilenko and Okur into NONFACTORS offensively has been huge. Okur will a supreme spur killer in the regular season and AK47 might as well be a water gun. Much credit has to be given to OBERTO. He's always the unsung hero. He's not incredible gifted vertically but he placed great position defense on Okur by contested all of his shots. He also showed some nice move on Okue by faking inside then fading away for a nice short jumper. Great savy by Oberto inside. When the spurs couldn't hit shots, he was always there to tap missed shots back for second opportunities to score. 6 offensive rebounds against the best rebouding team in the regular season is damn impressive
11 pts and 11 rebounds is SOLID.

Credit to the Jazz to being physical. That comes straight from the coach. Sloan is old school and wants penetrators to pay. TP got nailed early with no calls but he kept attacking and was extremely efficient in that way. He made some free throws to boost his confidence even though his overall shooting wasn't that good.

Same thing for manu. Spurs rode his back for the victory. Clutchness down the stretch. Whether it was going to the offensive rebound and getting a tip to allow OBERTO to get the tap in, driving in the paint for crucial layups, getting to the line. It was all heart, all the time for MANU.

Damn. This win is gratifying.

conqueso
05-28-2007, 11:22 PM

I see your point. Two responses:

1) The Spurs (Duncan and Bowen in particular) got "jobbed" in Game 3. Duncan's foul trouble was game determinative. What goes around comes around.

2) I think Mauer and Javie (Javie especially) got fed up with the Jazz whining all the time and with the crowd giving them constant shit on every call. The Spurs (Duncan especially) whined a LOT less than they usually do tonight, and Jazz whined a lot more. The first half was a foul fest, and the refs clearly were itching to blow the whistle. The Jazz players should have recognized this and adapted. They didn't. The Spurs did. End of story.

GrandeDavid
05-28-2007, 11:24 PM
Great win, indeed. Freaking huge, historical win, actually. I'm so proud of this team right now.

wildbill2u
05-28-2007, 11:27 PM
That's Three.

Get One.
They played lousy and still won because they played with the experience and poise of champions in the 4th quarter. They didn't lose their confidence when Utah made a run at the end of the 3rd and turned the D up a notch and made shots when they had to. Ginobili took us home.

ducks
05-28-2007, 11:31 PM
this was a awesome victory
this has to be one of the biggest wins this postseason

TampaDude
05-28-2007, 11:31 PM
The Spurs just made sure that Game 3 doesn't matter any more...the Spurs locked it down in the 4th, while the wheels came off for the Jazz...when Sloan got tossed, I knew it was over. As bad as I felt on Saturday night, I feel twice as good tonight! GO SPURS GO!!!

td4mvp21
05-28-2007, 11:33 PM
HELL YEAH. This win was easily the best of the playoffs.

mattyc
05-28-2007, 11:33 PM
Even better win given our #1 man didn't fire a shot.

samikeyp
05-28-2007, 11:35 PM

yeah it was the refs fault that the Jazz missed 5 straight shots on 5 straight possessions with less than 5 min to go.

picnroll
05-28-2007, 11:38 PM

They stopped giving Fisher his flops and he decomped. Started calling a few of the Jazz hacks too.

Spurologist
05-28-2007, 11:40 PM

whatever makes you sleep better at night

Viva Las Espuelas
05-28-2007, 11:40 PM
Spurs all the way. I hope we shoot lights out on Wednesday. Too bad I won't be able to see it. Seal is in town and I'm going. Forgive me for not knowing, but why are the bravatars not being brandished?

exstatic
05-28-2007, 11:50 PM
Pop did exactly what I wanted him to do, he just smartly did it a lot later than I would have. He waited until the Spurs got a bit of separation, 4 or 5 points, then he moved Tim to the high post and let Manu do his thing off of Tim's passes and picks. Utah just isn't a fundamentally sound enough defensive team to stop Ginobili without an obvious hard foul.

Das Texan
05-28-2007, 11:53 PM
That victory was sweet like the sweetest wine.

mVp
05-29-2007, 12:03 AM

The Spurs attacked the rim, the Jazz took too many jumpers, Kirilenko was shooting 3's WTF?!?

duncan_21
05-29-2007, 12:08 AM
This was just a tremendous win. I think the spurs decided that if the refs were going to let the jazz push, shove, hold, elbow that they would go ahead play hard, make hard cuts and take the ball to the hoop and make the refs call the fouls. I think timmy had a a sub par performance but props to manu and parker for taking the ball to the hoop and oberto for playing a great game. Also props to Pop for doubling dw in the 4th.

TDMVPDPOY
05-29-2007, 12:10 AM
i was dissappointed actually with the win, wtf couldnt they score 10 more points and be over 180 arrggg, fuckn loss 10bucks, there goes my whole month....

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-29-2007, 12:12 AM
That's Three.

Get One.

Say it like it is, Sistah! :D

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-29-2007, 12:16 AM

STFU. Jazz were shooting jumpers. You want FTs for shooting jumpers and not getting to the rack? :rolleyes

Your team relied on the midrange jumper all game, as they have all series except game 3, because that's what we give you (no 3s, no layups), and you were hot in the first half, but you went cold just when it mattered, and didn't have the balls to take it to the rack, nor the heart to get the O boards you are so famous for.

Suck it up and take it like a man. :ihit

baseline bum
05-29-2007, 12:18 AM
This is one of my favorite wins all time. I hate Utah more than I can possibly express in this thread.

Marcus Bryant
05-29-2007, 12:19 AM
The Jazz' nuts shriveled in the 4th. Too many Js, played too tentative, and lost their composure.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-29-2007, 12:22 AM
Pop did exactly what I wanted him to do, he just smartly did it a lot later than I would have. He waited until the Spurs got a bit of separation, 4 or 5 points, then he moved Tim to the high post and let Manu do his thing off of Tim's passes and picks. Utah just isn't a fundamentally sound enough defensive team to stop Ginobili without an obvious hard foul.

I was calling for that the entire 2nd half, and even thought Pop was being outcoached, but maybe he was holding it back for the final 6 minutes. Interesting take.

SequSpur
05-29-2007, 12:27 AM
I was calling for that the entire 2nd half, and even thought Pop was being outcoached, but maybe he was holding it back for the final 6 minutes. Interesting take.

bandwagoner forum.

Solid D
05-29-2007, 12:30 AM
Great win and great toughness, both mental and physical.

Jazz played well, had some great blocks and hit a lot of big shots in the first 3 quarters, although the strategy of "so many fouls...so little time" hurt them tonight.

Capt Bringdown
05-29-2007, 01:09 AM
That wasn't a game, it was a frick'n knife fight. The Spurs cut the Jazz's balls off, nailed 'em up on a tree with a rusty nail, laughed about it, took some pictures, had some beers and barbeque and then put the campfire out with a group piss. Fuck you, Jazz!

carina_gino20
05-29-2007, 01:10 AM
first playoff win in Salt Lake City in front of a hostile crowd... :tu

it was indeed ugly. the calls were inconsistent both ways. i was impressed though at the Spurs' composure. Tim got hacked down low time and again and there was a stretch when the Jazz just kept on hitting their shots. The Spurs could have folded over, but they didn't. Great gutsy win tonight.

and i'm pretty damn glad we got that other Argentine in our lineup.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-29-2007, 01:13 AM
bandwagoner forum.

Yup, I'm a bandwagoner Sequ. :rolleyes

Why don't you check the game thread? I said it at least 4 times from the mid 3rd to mid 4th.

Spurs Brazil
05-29-2007, 09:23 AM
Great post Kori, agree 100%