PDA

View Full Version : We won with 11 asts - very rare!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-29-2007, 01:28 AM
So, we won this game with 11 assists only, and that is very rare for us.

We usually have over 20 assists in wins, and tonight it was noticeable how little we passed. In fact, it was frustrating as hell to watch our players stand around and play only 4-down and picknroll all night. I think that is contributing to Tim's struggles because when we run a variety of plays he goes to different spots on the floor and is harder to defend, when all we run is 4-down and picknroll every play it makes us too predictable and the other team can key their defense on Tim. Tim looked best when he was high at the elbow with Manu buzzing around him, and Pop (wisely it seems) saved that for the 4th Q (props to Ex for suggesting he did this on purpose - he probably did).

We have some really nice motion plays but didn't run any of them tonight. We also made the extra pass only about three times that I can remember.

I know our system is not disposed to high assist games, but we average over 22 a game.

This was very much in the style of a 2003, beat-em-up and grind-it-out style win, not the free-flowing stuff we've become accustomed to in the last few years.

I'll take it either way. :D :smokin

Budkin
05-29-2007, 01:30 AM
Like I said before I would have been happy with a one point win tonight. We got it done.

Kori Ellis
05-29-2007, 01:31 AM
4-Down and shooting like crap for big stretches of the game kills the assist numbers. The ball movement was good for a while but no one was knocking anything down.

But who cares. :)

Solid D
05-29-2007, 01:33 AM
Yeah, I noticed the low assists but the Jazz fouled enough on the scoring chances to keep the assists total low. They also had 3 or 4 really nice blocks near the rim, including highlight blocks by Boozer (on Duncan), Kirilenko (on Oberto) and Millsap (on Gino).

The Jazz are also the 2nd best in the league, just ahead of the Spurs, in Assist Differential.

Solid D
05-29-2007, 01:36 AM
Spurs had more FTs (30) than FGs (28).

Marcus Bryant
I guess the Jazz are emboldened to hack at home.

timvp
Good point, Ruff. Spurs also won despite shooting 7% worse from the field. But with the Jazz intent on fouling hard, the Spurs were doing the right thing in driving the ball to the basket.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-29-2007, 01:43 AM
Yeah, I noticed the low assists but the Jazz fouled enough on the scoring chances to keep the assists total low. They also had 3 or 4 really nice blocks near the rim, including highlight blocks by Boozer (on Duncan), Kirilenko (on Oberto) and Millsap (on Gino).

The Jazz are also the best in the league, just ahead of the Spurs, in Assist Differential.

Actually, Suns at +7, then Jazz and Spurs over 5 in assist diff.

Kori, you're right. And I don't really care, this is just an expression of my joy! :)

It's interesting that we played 4-down so predominantly in these two games when in games 1 and 2 we spread the plays out and called all sorts of different stuff. I guess Pop figured that we wouldn't shoot so well in Utah, and that it would be a war, so he'd keep things simple. I called him out in the 3rd quarter for continually going back to 4-down when it wasn't working, and wondered why he wasn't going to Manu... now I know that he was saving manu and Tim at the high post for the 4th Q, and glad he did. I apologise, Pop. :lol

Solid D
05-29-2007, 02:05 AM
Actually, Suns at +7, then Jazz and Spurs over 5 in assist diff.

Kori, you're right. And I don't really care, this is just an expression of my joy! :)

It's interesting that we played 4-down so predominantly in these two games when in games 1 and 2 we spread the plays out and called all sorts of different stuff. I guess Pop figured that we wouldn't shoot so well in Utah, and that it would be a war, so he'd keep things simple. I called him out in the 3rd quarter for continually going back to 4-down when it wasn't working, and wondered why he wasn't going to Manu... now I know that he was saving manu and Tim at the high post for the 4th Q, and glad he did. I apologise, Pop. :lol

Yeah, I was going off of memory and then remembered PHX, confirmed and edited my post a few minutes before your last post.

Taco
05-29-2007, 07:56 AM
Tony needs to be a POINT guard

T.Parker G 36:52 6-19, 17 pts 2 assists :(

smeagol
05-29-2007, 08:00 AM

Ahhhh . . . the neverending discussion . . . :depressed

Mavs<Spurs
05-29-2007, 08:19 AM
Those 2 assists by TP were twice as many as the number of assists by another famous Spur playmaker.

There I helped you. Let the games begin.

Ahhhh . . . the neverending discussion . . . :depressed

Oh no, here it comes.

That is the sound of inevitability!!!

:rolleyes :dramaquee

Dartherus
05-29-2007, 08:33 AM

Tony should focus his summer trining in improving his passing skills and court vision, instead of just practicing his jumpshot. He still seems extremedly focused in scoring and scoring, rather than in PG duties.

Becoming a better passer will make him less predictable and one dimensional.

Mavs<Spurs
05-29-2007, 08:45 AM
Tony should focus his summer trining in improving his passing skills and court vision, instead of just practicing his jumpshot. He still seems extremedly focused in scoring and scoring, rather than in PG duties.

Becoming a better passer will make him less predictable and one dimensional.

At what point do we stop refighting the battle of the bulge?

Is there anything new in this discussion that anybody can contribute?
Has not everything possible that is of value already been said?
Will anybody change their mind?
Why not simply copy and paste some of the classic threads about Tony vs Manu if it is absoutely necessary to do this. At least it will be more efficient.

:nope :reading :rolleyes :wtf :pctoss :bang :bang

CubanMustGo
05-29-2007, 08:48 AM
You know there's something odd when your leading assist man is

Jacque Vaughn - 4 ast

:lol

VaSpursFan
05-29-2007, 08:52 AM

Jacque Vaughn - 4 ast

i wouldn't call that odd. JV should average 9000 assists per game because the fucker has no offensive game whatsoever. his jumper is horrendous and his drives in the lane cause me to cringe.

Mavs<Spurs
05-29-2007, 08:53 AM

Jacque Vaughn - 4 ast

So, your argument is that Jacque Vaughn should be the starting point guard for the Spurs (logical conclusion).

An interesting, utterly unimpressive one it is.

How many points did the man have?
Does he shred the defense of the other team by gettting into the lane?

In any event, he's no Speedy Claxton. You do realize that he was pulled after he could not space the floor and missed a wide open 15 foot jumpsot.

Vaughn is a great back up for our team. But whether he is the model for our starting point guard or not is something else.

CubanMustGo
05-29-2007, 08:55 AM
So, your argument is that Jacque Vaughn should be the starting point guard for the Spurs (logical conclusion).

An interesting, utterly unimpressive one it is.

How many points did the man have?
Does he shred the defense of the other team by gettting into the lane?

In any event, he's no Speedy Claxton. You do realize that he was pulled after he could not space the floor and missed a wide open 15 foot jumpsot.

Vaughn is a great back up for our team. But whether he is the model for our starting point guard or not is something else.

Way to totally misread a post, dude. I said there was something odd and that was all. If you have ever seen my posts during a game blog a large percentage of them are "WTF is Vaughn doing in the game, get his ass out of there."

boutons_
05-29-2007, 09:00 AM
Yep, a totally weird-assed game statistically.

Spurs outshot BADLY 41% - 47%, and win! (NBA worst Pacers shoot 44% season)

Imagine if Manu didn't hit that 3G and did not start "feelin good"?

Spurs outrebounded Jazz @SLC!!, kept their composure in the 4th in extremely hostile arena. (ok ok, Spurs were making a LOT of offensive RBs! )

Spurs found a way to win (aka Manu and Tony driving relentlessly) against one of the best home teams in the NBA.

Truly a championship performance.

The shitfuck Jazz fans gave the Spurs extreme motivation to eliminate in Game5 and NOT return to that hellhole.

Mavs<Spurs
05-29-2007, 09:03 AM
Way to totally misread a post, dude. I said there was something odd and that was all. If you have ever seen my posts during a game blog a large percentage of them are "WTF is Vaughn doing in the game, get his ass out of there."

just using context, following the thread.

Perhaps it was not related to the previous five or six posts right before it.
That's fine, but understand that some of us use context to determine meaning, not expecting something relatively unrelated to the posts immediately prior to it (unless there is a quote from another post earlier).

If you reread this thread, more than one person anticipated a certain upcoming discussion and responded to this section of the thread as if it was not mostly random and unrelated.

Why is that?

CubanMustGo
05-29-2007, 09:04 AM
Wow, I'm sorry I don't follow your personal Spurstalk Rules of Discussion. Get a life already.

Mavs<Spurs
05-29-2007, 09:09 AM
Yep, a totally weird-assed game statistically.

Spurs outshot BADLY 41% - 47%, and win! (NBA worst Pacers shoot 44% season)

Imagine if Manu didn't hit that 3G and did not start "feelin good"?

Spurs outrebounded Jazz @SLC!!, kept their composure in the 4th in extremely hostile arena. (ok ok, Spurs were making a LOT of offensive RBs! )

Spurs found a way to win (aka Manu and Tony driving relentlessly) against one of the best home teams in the NBA.

Truly a championship performance.

The shitfuck Jazz fans gave the Spurs extreme motivation to eliminate in Game5 and NOT return to that hellhole.

Those stats make me think of Manu's comment that "The champion always wins on the road."

I agree that Spurs will be motivated to win game 5 at home and not return to SLC.

Go Spurs!!!