PDA

View Full Version : Notebook: Spurs plan for draft in midst of playoffs

Kori Ellis
05-29-2007, 01:34 AM
Notebook: Spurs plan for draft in midst of playoffs

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA052907.03X.BKNspurs.notebook.3cb7047.html

Web Posted: 05/29/2007 12:58 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

SALT LAKE CITY — With the NBA draft less than a month away, Spurs officials are juggling their usual scouting duties in the midst of the playoffs.
General manager R.C. Buford flew to Orlando, Fla., after Monday's game for the start of the league's predraft camp. Assistant general manager Sam Presti will join him there today.

The league implemented a new rule this season that forbids teams from holding individual workouts for draft-eligible players until after the end of the Orlando camp.

While the team has been on the road during the playoffs, Spurs officials have used their hotel rooms as a base of operations to watch film of players.

"You have to be a little creative on how you cover it," Presti said. "But you have to keep a big-picture perspective on not just here in the present but also on the impact those decisions and responsibilities in Orlando can have on the organization long-term.

"You can't lose sight on the importance of what's going on with the draft."

The Spurs will have three picks: Nos. 28, 33 and 58.

Coach Gregg Popovich will leave the scouting duties to Buford, Presti and their staff.

"I have absolutely no involvement in what's going on in Orlando," Popovich said. "I just don't have the time to do that. They don't really need me anyway."

Fisher leaves team: Jazz guard Derek Fisher is scheduled to attend a medical appointment regarding his daughter's health today in New York and will re-join the team in San Antonio on Wednesday for Game 5.

Fisher flew to New York immediately after the game. His daughter had a tumor between her eye and her brain removed May 9. The surgery forced him to miss Game 1 of the Western Conference semifinals.

Hotel suicide: Some Spurs officials had an unsettling afternoon when they returned to their team hotel to discover a man had apparently committed suicide by jumping from one of the building's upper floors.

Many of the players didn't know about the incident until they boarded the team bus later in the day to go to the arena.

Questioning Kobe: Three of Robert Horry's championships were earned while he was a teammate of Kobe Bryant on the Lakers. When Horry heard of Bryant lobbying for the return of Jerry West to a position of power on the Lakers, Horry asked an interesting question.

"The question is," Horry said, "does Phil want Jerry back? And does the man who's paying the bills want him back?"

Phil is Lakers coach Phil Jackson. The man who signs the Lakers' checks is the team's majority owner, Dr. Jerry Buss.

West's tenure with the Grizzlies ends July 1.

Horry said he did not think Bryant's position would carry as much weight as some believe.

"I know people have been pointing their fingers at him," Horry said, "but a player can say what he wants. The ultimate decision is with the owner and the GM."

Horry said players such as Bryant have a right to express themselves about operations.

"I think if you're the focal point of the team, it's your right to voice your opinion," Horry said, "because if anything goes bad, they're going to blame you."

Horry recalled Bryant as a good teammate whose occasional conflicts with coaches and teammates resulted from his competitive nature.

"People always talk about him, but to me, he was a great teammate," Horry said. "He's a competitor, and people always misconstrued that about his cockiness and not liking people and not doing certain things, but he just clearly wanted to win. That's a good teammate."

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-29-2007, 01:36 AM
I considered making a crass joke about the suicide, but decided against it.

Kori Ellis
05-29-2007, 01:36 AM
I considered making a crass joke about the suicide, but decided against it.

I'm sure it's going to happen.

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-29-2007, 01:37 AM

Oh, no doubt...just not by me.

At least in this thread - I made one in Mouse's song thread.

Buddy Holly
05-29-2007, 01:46 AM
Would people want West in SA if RC were to leave or just have Presti bumped to GM?

Strike
05-29-2007, 01:46 AM
Would people want West in SA if RC were to leave or just have Presti bumped to GM?

No. Keep it in house. Promote Presti.

THE SIXTH MAN
05-29-2007, 01:47 AM
Bump Presti to gm.

Marcus Bryant
05-29-2007, 01:48 AM
Eh, bump Presti. He's here, he knows the team inside and out, and he undoubtedly has done his homework on prospects who will show up in the next couple of drafts. West stunk it up once he had to captain a team outside of one of the largest media markets on Earth. West is more of a name than anything else.

TDMVPDPOY
05-29-2007, 05:14 AM
so if buford leaves and that kid whose stayin with him, we want first hand draft rights to him....

ChumpDumper
05-29-2007, 05:18 AM
The best thing West did in the last four years was signing Chucky Atkins.

No thanks.

All Buford and Presti are going to do is figure out who wants our picks for nothing in return.

WalterBenitez
05-29-2007, 06:56 AM
Speaking seriously, How is Fisher daugther's health ... I see the guy very frustrated, also remember his tears; won't be easy playing thru this.

MI21
05-29-2007, 07:45 AM
I love draft time. It's also a lot more fun if you are coming off winning the championship.

Going to be interesting to see what the Spurs will do with there picks...trade away the 2nd rounders or pick obscure Euro's? Maybe with the deep draft some quality will slip to the late 1st or early 2nd round... Should be fun.

RC's Boss
05-29-2007, 08:00 AM
I think the Jazz fans are taking it a little too seriously :drunk

wildbill2u
05-29-2007, 09:51 AM
I hope not because there would be a lot of fallout afterwards

DarrinS
05-29-2007, 10:19 AM
Is Presti even 30 yet?

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-29-2007, 11:02 AM
"You have to be a little creative on how you cover it," Presti said. "But you have to keep a big-picture perspective on not just here in the present but also on the impact those decisions and responsibilities in Orlando can have on the organization long-term.

Translation: we're trading that first rounder for a future second rounder and some cash.

BigBeezie
05-29-2007, 11:07 AM
Is Presti even 30 yet?

I think he is 29...but if you have got it, then you better flaunt it.