PDA

View Full Version : its official oberto is the spurs new starting center for next year

coachmac87
05-29-2007, 01:36 AM
he has showed me something that the spurs havent got out of the center position...consisitentcy he is very good at tapping the ball out for another possesion...and i swear he may be one of the best big men in the league at finishing and getting buckets at the rim...he is an excellent passer and excels next to duncan...bye bye elson..get butler pt and lets get a pg and maybe a nother versitale player and spurs are set for thier 5th championship...o yes they will win it this year

Marcus Bryant
05-29-2007, 01:37 AM
he has showed me something that the spurs havent got out of the center position...consisitentcy he is very good at tapping the ball out for another possesion...and i swear he may be one of the best big men in the league at finishing and getting buckets at the rim...he is an excellent passer and excels next to duncan...bye bye elson..get butler pt and lets get a pg and maybe a nother versitale player and spurs are set for thier 5th championship...o yes they will win it this year

He's a good big to have as a 5 in the offense the Spurs run. The knocks, of course, are athleticism and shooting range, but if he had those his price tag would be $12 mil per.

Kori Ellis
05-29-2007, 01:38 AM
Who knows if he'll even be here next year. But I'm glad he's playing well right now.

Marcus Bryant
05-29-2007, 01:38 AM
Who knows if he'll even be here next year. But I'm glad he's playing well right now.

:shudder

timvp
05-29-2007, 01:39 AM
and i swear he may be one of the best big men in the league at finishing and getting buckets at the rim

I don't know if I'd go that far. Finishing at the rim was his major weakness coming into the playoffs. But yeah, he's gone a long ways toward fixing that area of his game.

Also, he has an option to become a free agent so I wouldn't quite pencil him in for next year just yet. Plus a lot could happen between now and the end of the playoffs that could change everyone's minds.

coachmac87
05-29-2007, 01:39 AM

why wouldnt he be here?? i think he has cemented that starting position for the playoffs...who esle do u have in mind as their starting center..he has to be the no.1 option

Kori Ellis
05-29-2007, 01:41 AM
why wouldnt he be here?? i think he has cemented that starting position for the playoffs...who esle do u have in mind as their starting center..he has to be the no.1 option

Anything can happen. He has an option on his contract.

The Spurs could implode and lose to the Jazz and then make a lot of moves in the summer. Who knows.

I'm just saying it's premature to say he's next year's official starter already.

mVp
05-29-2007, 01:43 AM
Yeah... I would like to see him next season, hopefully he keep up his good work

aaronstampler
05-29-2007, 01:45 AM
I don't know if I'd go that far. Finishing at the rim was his major weakness coming into the playoffs. But yeah, he's gone a long ways toward fixing that area of his game.

Also, he has an option to become a free agent so I wouldn't quite pencil him in for next year just yet. Plus a lot could happen between now and the end of the playoffs that could change everyone's minds.

Hey LJ, serious question here, I'm just curious about your opinion. If we go by the assumption that we're gonna play Detroit, (no given, IMO) do you think Pop will take into any consideration whatsoever that Elson was very, very good against them or has too much happened with Elson in these three rounds for Pop to give him another chance?

Strike
05-29-2007, 01:45 AM
Whether or not he starts next year, I want him in the silver and black.

aaronstampler
05-29-2007, 01:46 AM
Also, I would think that if the Spurs will have him, then Oberto will be back next year. I don't think he wants to play for anyone else and he certainly wouldn't hold them for ransom. I don't know exactly how big his role would be, I think Butler will get more of a look certainly, but I don't see how he won't be back.

coachmac87
05-29-2007, 01:50 AM
exaxctly oberto has made his home here with manu and what not...why wouldnt he accept the starting postion of the assuming nba champs..its not like other teams will offer him a crazy contract

timvp
05-29-2007, 01:50 AM
Hey LJ, serious question here, I'm just curious about your opinion. If we go by the assumption that we're gonna play Detroit, (no given, IMO) do you think Pop will take into any consideration whatsoever that Elson was very, very good against them or has too much happened with Elson in these three rounds for Pop to give him another chance?

He'll probably give him a shot early in the series. Elson had his two best rebounding games of the season against Detroit, so the probability that it was just a fluke is pretty low. You have to say Elson matches up well against them.

The only chance that Elson might not see action is if Pop sticks with this eight-man rotation in Game 5 and the Spurs win and Pop decides that he's going to use it throughout the Finals. Even then, I can't imagine a scenario where Elson doesn't at least get a shot to see if his regular season success translates to the playoffs.

Marcus Bryant
05-29-2007, 01:51 AM
exaxctly oberto has made his home here with manu and what not...why wouldnt he accept the starting postion of the assuming nba champs..its not like other teams will offer him a crazy contract

Someone gave Adonal Foyle $40 million.

coachmac87
05-29-2007, 01:53 AM
Someone gave Adonal Foyle $40 million.

ok if oberto ever gets 40 mil :pctoss

timvp
05-29-2007, 01:54 AM
he certainly wouldn't hold them for ransom

If Oberto keeps playing like this, I have to think he'll explore the market. I would think he'd want to stay, but then again he threatened to originally sign with Memphis unless the Spurs upped their offer to match that of the Grizzlies.

Seeing as it'd likely be his last contract of his pro career, I wouldn't be surprised if Oberto sees what else is out there before he automatically decides to come back. And you can't blame him for doing so. A bigman playing at the level he's playing at in the playoffs could become a hot commodity.

Look what happened to Austin Croshere when he hit a few shots that one year.

coachmac87
05-29-2007, 01:57 AM
yall...oberto will not earn a sick contract after this little playoff performance...croshere is alot more versitale and played alot better with the pacers than oberto has done with the spurs...i cant really say much about an nba team giving adonal foyle 40 mil..pretty sad...spurs will have 3 players from argentina on the squad next year...of course im talkin about mr. nocioni

Marcus Bryant
05-29-2007, 01:59 AM
A team might deem Oberto worthy of a large chunk of their MLE this summer. Bigmen who can think and walk at the same time are always a sought after commodity. Hate to say this, but I could see interest from the Suns.

aaronstampler
05-29-2007, 02:00 AM
I hear what you're saying and obviously money is important if for no other reason it shows the player that his employer appreciates him, but on the other hand Oberto has a lot of pride about his play and of team success and I don't think he'd want his last contract to be for a shit team where he'll play poorly because none of his teammates will know what to do with him. I think he's got the perfect situation here and as long as the Spurs are fair with him, he'd stay, no? Hell last week I heard that he'd go back to Europe if traded to a shitty team, so I doubt he'd go to one voluntarily.

timvp
05-29-2007, 02:01 AM
Hate to say this, but I could see interest from the Suns.
:vomit:

timvp
05-29-2007, 02:05 AM
I hear what you're saying and obviously money is important if for no other reason it shows the player that his employer appreciates him, but on the other hand Oberto has a lot of pride about his play and of team success and I don't think he'd want his last contract to be for a shit team where he'll play poorly because none of his teammates will know what to do with him. I think he's got the perfect situation here and as long as the Spurs are fair with him, he'd stay, no? Hell last week I heard that he'd go back to Europe if traded to a shitty team, so I doubt he'd go to one voluntarily.

True but say a Phoenix, Detroit or Chicago make a pitch for him. Winning situations. Gets to play with a fellow Argentine in two of the those three destinations.

And with the Spurs not wanting to put any more money on the books other than the Big Three for 2008-09, that complicates matters further.

If Oberto keeps playing like this, he might jump to be priority 1A in the summer. But I've seen too many Spurs leave who no one thought would leave to say it's a lock Oberto comes back.

fred33
05-29-2007, 02:08 AM
It4s All About Match Up Elson Match Up Well With Detroit

aaronstampler
05-29-2007, 02:16 AM
True but say a Phoenix, Detroit or Chicago make a pitch for him. Winning situations. Gets to play with a fellow Argentine in two of the those three destinations.

And with the Spurs not wanting to put any more money on the books other than the Big Three for 2008-09, that complicates matters further.

If Oberto keeps playing like this, he might jump to be priority 1A in the summer. But I've seen too many Spurs leave who no one thought would leave to say it's a lock Oberto comes back.

It's fair. The way I look at it is, if one Argie leaves this offseason, then another better be replacing him. Our roster needs a minimum of two.

Tek_XX
05-29-2007, 02:36 AM
For whatever reason Oberto gets tons of layups when we play the Jazz

Sec24Row7
05-29-2007, 03:19 AM
I can see Oberto being Physical with Detroit inside... he won't get as many rebounds against their frontline... I think they have like 57 people over 6'10" on their roster... but he will be a hell of a lot more physical than Rasho or Nazr were... especially since Nazr is one of their bigs...

jmard5
05-29-2007, 03:36 AM
Oberto is the Malik Rose of today in terms of hustle.

Mr. Body
05-29-2007, 03:47 AM
Oberto is the Malik Rose of today in terms of hustle.

Maybe... but if Malik were as smart as Oberto on the basketball court, he'd be here still.

tt.timmy
05-29-2007, 03:48 AM
The party chief of Agentine Oberto show his value and the ability of siut to a new team;he is one of the best without the ball

bigfish22
05-29-2007, 04:17 AM
He is definitely the best ugly player in the league

Rynospursfan
05-29-2007, 05:00 AM
I can see Oberto being Physical with Detroit inside... he won't get as many rebounds against their frontline... I think they have like 57 people over 6'10" on their roster... but he will be a hell of a lot more physical than Rasho or Nazr were... especially since Nazr is one of their bigs...

The Jazz are the best rebounding team in the league, far better than Detroit.

Bruno
05-29-2007, 05:14 AM
Oberto's situation will be quite interesting to follow this summer.
If he doesn't pick his player option, he is a restricted free agent.

The knock on Oberto is his age. If a team give him a 3 years contract, he will 35 years old in his third year. I'm not sure that Oberto, who is quite small and unathletic, will be still nba material at 35.

I can see Oberto opting out and playing for the qualifying offer. IMO, it's a good situation for Oberto and Spurs :
- It will be only a one year contract for Spurs.
- Oberto will be paid more than if he pick his player option ($3.125M instead of $2.5M).
- Oberto will have a non trade clause. Oberto has said that he will come back in europe if he is traded to a bad team. If he plays for the QO, he can't be traded without his agreement.

ChumpDumper
05-29-2007, 05:20 AM
Oberto needs to do well against Detroit before opting out becomes a real option.

If he does, I see the Spurs giving him an inflated one year deal.

WalterBenitez
05-29-2007, 05:46 AM
:oops we are selling him!???

WalterBenitez
05-29-2007, 05:49 AM
A team might deem Oberto worthy of a large chunk of their MLE this summer. Bigmen who can think and walk at the same time are always a sought after commodity. Hate to say this, but I could see interest from the Suns.

Suns!??? wtf is that ... we could handle sending argentinean cousins (:makemyday) "to talk Oberto" ... one "traitor" (Sean Marks) is enough :lol

PS: Bring back the Kiwi, I miss his hair style.

Manu Pacquiao
05-29-2007, 06:17 AM
Oberto is actually very underrated. I loved his game since the first tournament I saw him in. He and Manu were the guys that clearly stood out in Team Argentina's title run for the World Championships in Indiana, back in 2002. He's not athletic, he's awkward, he's undersized but he's an amazing team oriented center. Great timing on cuts to the basket, he always converts on assists under the basket, makes quick, strong moves, gives great picks, he's tough and a hustler.

This year, with the help of more playing time, he's gotten more comfortable and on the same wavelength with his teammates. I want him to stay. He's a keeper. :clap

TDMVPDPOY
05-29-2007, 06:23 AM
resignin oberto, where does that leave us with scola?

Quasar
05-29-2007, 06:35 AM
Remember we were all so sure that Stephen Jackson was gonna re-sign with the spurs after his superb playoff showing?

carrecaminos
05-29-2007, 06:36 AM
I see Oberto going to Spain if he win a ring and the Spurs doesn't give him a better contract. He won't play for a shitty team in the NBA, that's for sure.