PDA

View Full Version : Play off Oberto vs regular season Oberto

twilo73
05-29-2007, 09:19 AM
I had seen this guy play with Argentina many, many times and I'm glad to see him show his national team game with the Spurs now. I'm sure most of you will agree that he is one of the big reasons why we are winning.

But my question is this: why is he getting so many more minutes, and playing so much better than in the regular season? Is it the Horry effect, by which he only really performs when it counts? (I doubt that because he was always very good in Spain) Is it Pop finally finding a spot for him?

ArgSpursFan
05-29-2007, 09:26 AM
I had seen this guy play with Argentina many, many times and I'm glad to see him show his national team game with the Spurs now. I'm sure most of you will agree that he is one of the big reasons why we are winning.

But my question is this: why is he getting so many more minutes, and playing so much better than in the regular season? Is it the Horry effect, by which he only really performs when it counts? (I doubt that because he was always very good in Spain) Is it Pop finally finding a spot for him?

1st:coze Elson is getting worst and worst by the minute,and 2nd:coze He had a fresh new start in the playoffs ,got his confidence back and never looked back since them.

boutons_
05-29-2007, 09:27 AM
I think it's Pop trusting him more, and Fabs returning the trust by upping his self-confidence. Remember, he's still an NBA rookie, so he's still learning the NBA game, and the Spurs system. Learning the Spurs system is much easier if you know how to play basketball first. He did arrive in SA with more basketball fundamentals than Francisco or Nazr had, or will EVER have.

Imagine how much more valuable he'd be if he didn't commit those stupid fouls.

thousandth
05-29-2007, 09:36 AM
1st:coze Elson is getting worst and worst by the minute,and 2nd:coze He had a fresh new start in the playoffs ,got his confidence back and never looked back since them.

I agree. Fab played hard in the playoffs. His time is now.

Darkwaters
05-29-2007, 09:43 AM
I thought that Fabricio was the player of the game last night. Duncan still looked a bit timid on offense and had several turnovers (although he dominated the defensive end) and Manu didn't show up until the 4th. Tony had an absolutely dismal shooting night. But Fabs played solid his whole time on the floor, had a double double, and really earned those minutes.

ArgSpursFan
05-29-2007, 09:43 AM
I think it's Pop trusting him more, and Fabs returning the trust by upping his self-confidence. Remember, he's still an NBA rookie, so he's still learning the NBA game, and the Spurs system. Learning the Spurs system is much easier if you know how to play basketball first. He did arrive in SA with more basketball fundamentals than Francisco or Nazr had, or will EVER have.

Imagine how much more valuable he'd be if he didn't commit those stupid fouls.

true,but I have to say that Elson is the master of the STUPID FOULS though.

TDMVPDPOY
05-29-2007, 09:44 AM
i still cant stand his 2inch vertical leap

Solid D
05-29-2007, 10:57 AM
He's certainly playing with more consistency each game. I just see it as Oberto is gaining confidence and his teammates are trusting him more. The matchups have helped. His 6'10" height is fine versus Boozer but against Shaq, Yao or Ilgauskas, it's more of a limiting factor. He's also starting to get a little more recognition and respect from the officials now that they have gotten accustomed to how he plays.

Borosai
05-29-2007, 10:59 AM
Pop is going with the better player. Instead of splitting minutes with Elson, Pop sees that Oberto needs to play starter minutes to give the Spurs the best chance in this series. The best part is that Oberto is producing big time.

td4mvp21
05-29-2007, 11:00 AM
I'm glad he's gotten more minutes, he deserves them. I feel bad for calling him a "shitty center" now. Luckily I'm eating crow :lol.

bdictjames
05-29-2007, 11:02 AM
Oberto - Big Fundamental Jr.

He's always at the right place at the right time, and that alone covers for his lack of athleticism.

twilo73
05-29-2007, 11:44 AM
Oberto - Big Fundamental Jr.

He's always at the right place at the right time, and that alone covers for his lack of athleticism.

Actually that is a very good nick name... you can totally see that Oberto knows the game. What he lacks in athletics he makes up for in basketball IQ and sound fundamentals.

dougp
05-29-2007, 11:57 AM
All I know is I didn't have faith in him ... but those first few games where he started to actually showed up to got me more impressed. They were right with their commentary last night, he always seems to get those tip-outs on the offensive rebounds when they're needed most.

twilo73
05-29-2007, 12:00 PM
All I know is I didn't have faith in him ... but those first few games where he started to actually showed up to got me more impressed. They were right with their commentary last night, he always seems to get those tip-outs on the offensive rebounds when they're needed most.

You are not alone. I also thought we had made a mistake, and again I had seen him play before and knew that he was a very good player. The only question is will he be back next year at the same level or will he become a play off only guy. Either way, as long as we win it all this year and he contributes, it makes it a good signing.

BTW, Scola is much better, too bad we haven't been able to bring him over yet.

thousandth
05-29-2007, 12:10 PM
You are not alone. I also thought we had made a mistake, and again I had seen him play before and knew that he was a very good player. The only question is will he be back next year at the same level or will he become a play off only guy. Either way, as long as we win it all this year and he contributes, it makes it a good signing.

BTW, Scola is much better, too bad we haven't been able to bring him over yet.

Oberto is a smart player who knows his role in the Spurs.

Scola? I don't know.

He needs always to have protagonism in his team.

I think Scola isnīt a good defensive player and will never be able to mark Boozer, Okur, Amare, Nene, Camby.
Oberto did guard him and very well in this playoffs.

Scola have much troubles in the big games (finals acb 2006, finals Euroligue) and Oberto played fab ulous the big games.

VaSpursFan
05-29-2007, 01:43 PM
oberto is battle tested and knows how to pace himself. he shows up big in big games...stays within himself and doesn't try to do much. he has a high b-ball IQ like horry.

timvp
05-29-2007, 03:22 PM
Oberto played like a zombie at times in the regular season. He just didn't bring any energy for a good amount of games this year. For example, there was no excuse for one rebound in 43 minutes of playing time in the regular season in the two games at Utah.

But I kept faith in him because I saw that when he brought energy, he was a nice player. So far in the playoffs, he's raised his energy level tenfold and is bringing it night in and night out.

I don't know if he's the Argentine Robert Horry or perhaps he was adjusting to the longer NBA schedule but whatever it is, it's night and day comparing his playoff games to his zombie games.

BeerIsGood!
05-29-2007, 03:29 PM
Oberto is a good player and a good fit for this team.